Pre-workout observation

SwoleyMammoth

SwoleyMammoth

Awards
I have noticed on occasions with certain pre-workouts when I take the proper dose or sometimes slightly more, when the product "kicks in" I also get this dreaded uncontrollable hunger where I feel the need to eat everything in sight.

I'm sure it has to do with my body possibly being sensitive to the amount of caffeine or added stimulants, but what I'm really curious about is why my body feels the need to eat food after I consume a pre-workout? Is it my bodies way of trying to counter the possible overstimulation?

Any other members have this same reaction? Should I just always eat a meal with my pre-workout?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Usually its the opposite because caffeine or stimulants will blunt hunger and decrease appetite (hence appetite supression)

May also have to deal with multiple factors such as water intake (if you drink a lot if will hold you down and make you less hungry)
Foods you eat prior to training or around training (which could be why you may feel hungry)
Very hard to pin point the exact issue at hand.

Never eat a meal with a pre-workout totally a bad idea. That would diminsh the stim effect to a great degree, Stims work best on an empty stomach or further away from food.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yea to get the full effect you want to take your pre workout on an emptier stomach and not with food. Its good to have a pre workout meal but have that meal an hour before training and then take your pwo half hour or 45 minutes later on an emptier stomach I would say.

bcazo

bcazo

Awards
Yea to get the full effect you want to take your pre workout on an emptier stomach and not with food. Its good to have a pre workout meal but have that meal an hour before training and then take your pwo half hour or 45 minutes later on an emptier stomach I would say.
^^ This!! I do the same thing, but it will also depend on the pre-workout you use.. If you haven't tried it yet check Olympus's new version of Conqu3r, no prop blend and all properly dosed ingredients!! Check out this great deal with a free shaker cup!! :)

CONQU3R "Demigod Edition" + Free Shaker Bottle by Olympus Labs | CONQU3R + Shaker Bottle Bundle | Nutri-Verse.com

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Which PWO are you taking? What's the ingredient profile?

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
i have noticed increases in hunger if the pwo has only caffeine in it, but stims that stimulate NE drop my hunger

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Never can say I've noticed increased hunger with a pre, after a gym session yes. Stimulants usually blunt hunger. Are you going into a workout hungry before the pre even?

iddqd

Awards
anything at or above 500mg of agmatine does that for me, afaik it releases insulin or sth (1g+ gives me the runs btw, which is a ****ty combination. heh).