Push for FDA ban if Caffeine Powder

Swolljaboi

Awards
Parents of two teens who died from overdosing in caffeine powder are meeting with lawmakers to push for a ban on caffeine powder. No link but you can Google it and read about it. Hopefully this doesn't get taken seriously. Another blanket law due to idiots who abuse a supplement.

ddfox

ddfox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Probably more like idiots who can't do math and had no idea how much they were taking. Or don't understand g versus mg.

Swolljaboi

Awards
The one kid used a teaspoon of it and died. Roughly the equivalent of 23 cups of coffee. They can't just go banning everything that somebody misuses.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's nothing wrong with a little "thinning of the heard" when it comes to idiots. It's not everyone elses fault that people are stupid.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I completely agree with banning powder caffeine. It is frequently the reason for many caffeine related deaths, both old and young people. It is also a go to for some trying to commit suicide.

Swolljaboi

Awards
I completely agree with banning powder caffeine. It is frequently the reason for many caffeine related deaths, both old and young people. It is also a go to for some trying to commit suicide.
I don't think it is right to ban anything that can be used for suicide. We would go without a lot if that were the case. Perhaps regulation with an age requirement would be more appropriate? Kids seem to be stupid these days which makes no sense considering all of the knowledge available at their fingrtips. If the kid had just done a little reading he would have known a teaspoon was way too much.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think it is right to ban anything that can be used for suicide. We would go without a lot if that were the case. Perhaps regulation with an age requirement would be more appropriate? Kids seem to be stupid these days which makes no sense considering all of the knowledge available at their fingrtips. If the kid had just done a little reading he would have known a teaspoon was way too much.
Adults die from caffeine overdose just as much as kids.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If they truly were kids (under 18), then wouldn't at least some of the blame fall on the parents?

Swolljaboi

Awards
But it is never an issue until a precious child is taken from the world. Either way, if someone overdoses on caffeine it is still an issue of ignorance. We put warning labels on poisons and household cleaners saying "Do not ingest" for people like this. We don't ban the poisons.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
But it is never an issue until a precious child is taken from the world. Either way, if someone overdoses on caffeine it is still an issue of ignorance. We put warning labels on poisons and household cleaners saying "Do not ingest" for people like this. We don't ban the poisons.
Those are poisons. Not dietary supplements.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As a parent of 2 children I can say that I KNOW it's my job to teach my children certain things, but also keep them prtected as much as possible. If these parents were like most parents these days and let their kids do what ever they want, that's on them. Grouping the rest of responsible supplement users in with them because if ignorance and absentee parenting is ludicrous.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Where's the ban on cigarettes?
Where's the ban on cars?
Where's the ban tornados?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As a parent of 2 children I can say that I KNOW it's my job to teach my children certain things, but also keep them prtected as much as possible. If these parents were like most parents these days and let their kids do what ever they want, that's on them. Grouping the rest of responsible supplement users in with them because if ignorance and absentee parenting is ludicrous.
Spot on.

I find it weird that my 7 year old is one of the only kids her age that is not allowed to drink sodas or anything with caffeine. It amazed me to see kids at her school coming with packed lunches that had pepsi and cokes in them.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Spot on.

I find it weird that my 7 year old is one of the only kids her age that is not allowed to drink sodas or anything with caffeine. It amazed me to see kids at her school coming with packed lunches that had pepsi and cokes in them.
Parents are lazy these days. I feel like my kids are going to rule the world compared to the kids around them.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, caffeine death is a rampant problem to address. Ban pepsi.
Pepsi is not a bulk powder which is virtually indistinguishable from thousands of other supplements and cookies supplies. Is is close to impossible to inadvertently die from a Pepsi overdose.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Ban tornados?

Let's all start a protest at the base of a volcano and try to ban eruptions :)

But seriously I can agree with banning caffeine, there are so many options for products containing it in safe amounts already that it shouldn't be a big inconvenience.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cigarettes are not lethal in an acute setting.

There are laws surrounding how you drive a car and who is eligible to drive a car.

Tornados? Srs?
My point was that all kinds of things kill people. You can't just ban something for isolated incedents.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, who the eff even uses it any way. Caffeine pills are available for so cheap.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My point was that all kinds of things kill people. You can't just ban something for isolated incedents.
Of course not. But caffeine related deaths are not isolated events. And the ones that are inadvertent are often from the use of bulk powder caffeine.

It can happen to very intelligent people too. People get busy, grab the wrong scoop, confuse powdered supplements, have inaccurate scales, or forgot to consciously note the difference between a "g" and a "mg" on their scale.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

Not really applicable here.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It wouldn't be about preventing them from getting their hands on it, it would be about working them on common sense and moderation. Did their parents know that these kids had the powder? Maybe, maybe not, we may never know for sure. But a gigantic part of how our children conduct themselves is based on how they're parented.

Vj63

Banned
Awards
Of course not. But caffeine related deaths are not isolated events. And the ones that are inadvertent are often from the use of bulk powder caffeine.

It can happen to very intelligent people too. People get busy, grab the wrong scoop, confuse powdered supplements, have inaccurate scales, or forgot to consciously note the difference between a "g" and a "mg" on their scale.
Bro, I thought you were hardcore.

Only dummies and kids would be harmed by this stuff. My kid is so smart that he will never do anything impulsive or reckless in his whole life because I am a great parent that teaches him every possible thing he may encounter for the rest of his life. Everyone knows that only kids with bad parents make life altering or ending mistakes.

Swolljaboi

Awards
This is all wrong for the same reason that the drug war is a huge failure. Banning something doesn't make it go away. Responsible regulation is a much smarter way to go about these things.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
This is all wrong for the same reason that the drug war is a huge failure. Banning something doesn't make it go away. Responsible regulation is a much smarter way to go about these things.

Just going to say some better regulation would work better.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
We all need more regulation in our lives. lol
Ya your right totally too much to ask the stores that sell it to make sure they are selling it to adults.

"Government is out to get us jeb"

lol

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Because that will make all the difference since teenagers are the only people that make poor choices.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Because that will make all the difference since teenagers are the only people that make poor choices.
no because they are children, same reason they are not allowed to vote or buy guns.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't be naive. Caffeine is not the issue some of you are trying to make it seem and asking if someone is 18 will make no difference.

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
Parents of two teens who died from overdosing in caffeine powder are meeting with lawmakers to push for a ban on caffeine powder. No link but you can Google it and read about it. Hopefully this doesn't get taken seriously. Another blanket law due to idiots who abuse a supplement.
such is the case with half the laws..... :/

jdam

Awards
Damn! 1/16 of a teaspoon has 200mg of caffeine in it! Just seems like an unnecessary product when you can buy 500 tabs of 200mg for $15. I don't want to eyeball 1/16 of a teaspoon. I feel for the parents of the kids, but the last thing in the world we need is the government getting involved. Can we please just do our own due diligence and not have political retards getting in our way. You get them involved in caffeine and my god creatine is going to be next.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep, then we are going to have a bunch of bloated teenagers running around. Will someone think of the children!!

Swolljaboi

Awards
It should be weighed out using a scale. Even if the scale isn't perfectly calibrated the difference won't be lethal. If you measure out 200mg and you have your scale set on grams by accident, I think one would notice the mountain of powder in front of them that would be 200 grams. I use powdered caffeine on a regular basis because it is cheap as dirt and kicks in quick. Not once have I erred in weighing it.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Like with anything else you have to be smart about it. Too much of anything is dangerous. Idk why they would put a ban on it. Too many donuts will kill you make you fat. hahah. Too much caffeine powder is dangerous as well but just don't be stupid problem solved;) haha

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Yep caffeine powder is just like donuts.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Shouldn't be ban. Freedom has a price. Guess tylenol should be banned to by the same logic.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established
Yes, let's restrict everyone's freedom because a few people are irresponsible.

Let me guess, you're one of the guys that wants to take away my guns every time some psycho shoots someone.

jrkarp

Awards
  • Established

Government exists to protect us from each other, not ourselves.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
U speak of this as if its a common occurrence. The NY Time reports 13 deaths nationwide associated with caffeine in an entire year.... .... .... ....
The poison control center was notified of 1 death related to caffeine over consumption in 2012
You might as well ban steak knives

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
unfortunately its a matter of time before a lot of stuff go bye bye

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Glad there is some good sense in this thread. I started to wonder in the first few posts.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
12/12/2014 the day freedom died.

RIP freedom RIP.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They should ban water then. Too much water could kill you. Oh and perhaps they should ban oxygen because in the long run when things oxidize...it will kill you.