Quest Bars: Moving in the Wrong Direction?

1 More Repp

1 More Repp

Awards
I was wondering if anyone has noticed all of the additional ingredients in the newest Quest bar releases (s'mores, cookies & cream, etc.) They are still some of the cleanest, most desirable bars on the market, but I don't understand why they would begin adding less desirable ingredients like palm oil, sunflower lecithin, and baking soda. It also looks like they are leaning towards a lower fiber count. What's going on Quest?!

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
I was wondering if anyone has noticed all of the additional ingredients in the newest Quest bar releases (s'mores, cookies & cream, etc.) They are still some of the cleanest, most desirable bars on the market, but I don't understand why they would begin adding less desirable ingredients like palm oil, sunflower lecithin, and baking soda. It also looks like they are leaning towards a lower fiber count. What's going on Quest?!
WTH is wrong with baking soda???? For myself, Quest bars are just something I use so I never crave real desserts. For that function, they are a hell of a lot better than a candy bar or ice cream. Still, I hope they maintain a clean profile bc they changed the game. Protein bars used to be **** to avoid, not enjoyed.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Also what's wrong with Red Palm Oil??
If it's organic red palm oil, absolutely nothing. Red Palm oil is loaded with vitamin A, vitamin E, and other carotenoids. I blend a tablespoon of it into my morning smoothie a couple days a week. Rotating between that, coconut oil, and hemp oil.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They need to make a high carbs bar.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
They need to make a high carbs bar.
It would be interesting to see, if they can make them taste that good low cal one would have high expectations if they did

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just eat carbs along with a bar and your set.
Defeats the purpose of using the bars then, LoL.

It would be interesting to see, if they can make them taste that good low cal one would have high expectations if they did
I just want a SKU that caters to people that aren't trying to eat like birds. LoL. It's the only reason I haven't used Quest bars in a long long long while now.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
seems like they are but not really for the reasons listed above
Lol you're right. I was just about to point out, though I don't know this as fact, that the palm oil used is more than likely refined, and not organic, virgin, cold pressed, etc...

So yeah, you probably have a reason to be concerned a little bit.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I just want a SKU that caters to people that aren't trying to eat like birds. LoL. It's the only reason I haven't used Quest bars in a long long long while now.
There are plenty of other options as far as bars then. Quest has a certain demographic they are trying to reach. If you do enjoy the bars, eat them and add oatmeal or something. It doesn't defeat the purpose of them. Bars should be used to fit ones dietary needs, if that comes up short,macro wise, there are a million other things one can eat that are just as portable.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There are plenty of other options as far as bars then. Quest has a certain demographic they are trying to reach. If you do enjoy the bars, eat them and add oatmeal or something. It doesn't defeat the purpose of them. Bars should be used to fit ones dietary needs, if that comes up short,macro wise, there are a million other things one can eat that are just as portable.
That sounds like a lot of excuses, lol.

There's plenty of bars out, but nothing tastes quite like a Quest bar. If I have to start adding my own extra carbs to Quest bars I consume, then that defeats the purpose of the reasoning behind using bars in the first place.

The solution here is quite simple, Quest High Carbs Line. Done. These could have other uses other than as a snack/MRP. Such as, preworkout nutrition use, etc.

As for your point that there are a million other things one can eat that are just as portable, same can be said for Quest bars. Thus that argument is nonsensical really.

Alas, I've clearly made the point that what I am suggesting would be an entirely different SKU. They already expanded out to things like protein powders for goodness sakes. There's really no reason why they can't have a High Carbs line. It's not like the High Carbs line will displace their regular line of bars. LoL. I don't see how this would end up affecting their target demographic.

scope75

scope75

Awards
  • Established
X2 and some high carb bars taste way better than the best quest bar too. I'm always amazed at how good some taste when walking around fitness expos.

scope75

scope75

Awards
  • Established
That sounds like a lot of excuses, lol.

There's plenty of bars out, but nothing tastes quite like a Quest bar. If I have to start adding my own extra carbs to Quest bars I consume, then that defeats the purpose of the reasoning behind using bars in the first place.

The solution here is quite simple, Quest High Carbs Line. Done. These could have other uses other than as a snack/MRP. Such as, preworkout nutrition use, etc.

As for your point that there are a million other things one can eat that are just as portable, same can be said for Quest bars. Thus that argument is nonsensical really.

Alas, I've clearly made the point that what I am suggesting would be an entirely different SKU. They already expanded out to things like protein powders for goodness sakes. There's really no reason why they can't have a High Carbs line. It's not like the High Carbs line will displace their regular line of bars. LoL. I don't see how this would end up affecting their target demographic.
As nice as it would be i don't see quest making a carb bar anytime soon since it seems like they are proud to be LC and it's easy to make a carb bar taste good.
Plus if they added carbs they'd probably be more expensive because I think they'd still keep them GF.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As nice as it would be i don't see quest making a carb bar anytime soon since it seems like they are proud to be LC and it's easy to make a carb bar taste good.
Plus if they added carbs they'd probably be more expensive because I think they'd still keep them GF.
It's not about making the bar just taste good. It's also about providing QUALITY carbs instead of just straight up sugar.

Let's be realistic here, PLENTY of folks whom consume MANY Quest bars whom actually do need extra calories and carbs. MANY. There's a LARGE customer base whom are not cutting and would do well with more carbs and what not in their bars. They are consuming plenty of Quest bars, the main reason? Mainly due to brand recognition. Plain and simple. At this point, it's the brand that is the main selling point for the products, not necessarily the products themselves. For goodness sakes, go walk into a GNC, they essentially no longer carry any other bars apart from chitty house branded ones and the rest being pretty much all Quest.

What would I expect from a Quest High Carbs bar? QUALITY INGREDIENTS. It's not that easy to find a high carb bar with excellent quality ingredients and protein sources. There's plenty of high CALORIES bars but a large portion of their calories are coming from fat sources, not necessarily carbs. Even Fit Crunch which is high calories, there's barely any carbs in those, they are mainly sugar alcohols.

scope75

scope75

Awards
  • Established
I like whole/real food over bars anyways so it's not much of an issue for me and the quest brand is known for LC bars and that's what set them apart from the rest and got them there name.
Who knows maybe quest will see this thread and make them for you, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Lol

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like whole/real food over bars anyways so it's not much of an issue for me and the quest brand is known for LC bars and that's what set them apart from the rest and got them there name.
Who knows maybe quest will see this thread and make them for you, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Lol
At this point, they've grown FAR BEYOND just being the low carbs brand. Again, GNC virtually only carries Quest bars for protein bars at their stores now.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's not about making the bar just taste good. It's also about providing QUALITY carbs instead of just straight up sugar.

Let's be realistic here, PLENTY of folks whom consume MANY Quest bars whom actually do need extra calories and carbs. MANY. There's a LARGE customer base whom are not cutting and would do well with more carbs and what not in their bars. They are consuming plenty of Quest bars, the main reason? Mainly due to brand recognition. Plain and simple. At this point, it's the brand that is the main selling point for the products, not necessarily the products themselves. For goodness sakes, go walk into a GNC, they essentially no longer carry any other bars apart from chitty house branded ones and the rest being pretty much all Quest.

What would I expect from a Quest High Carbs bar? QUALITY INGREDIENTS. It's not that easy to find a high carb bar with excellent quality ingredients and protein sources. There's plenty of high CALORIES bars but a large portion of their calories are coming from fat sources, not necessarily carbs. Even Fit Crunch, there's barely any carbs in those, they are mainly sugar alcohols.
The bold statement is true. However, bulking or cutting, I only use bars out of convenience. With that said, I know that I would rather eat real food then a protein bar for my food intake. Bars, no matter how many carbs, fat, or cals, do not leave me feeling satisfied. With that said, sure, people who eat quest bars need more cals, but I would say most people would want those cals from whole foods that leave them satisfied and feeling somewhat full.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The bold statement is true. However, bulking or cutting, I only use bars out of convenience. With that said, I know that I would rather eat real food then a protein bar for my food intake. Bars, no matter how many carbs, fat, or cals, do not leave me feeling satisfied. With that said, sure, people who eat quest bars need more cals, but I would say most people would want those cals from whole foods that leave them satisfied and feeling somewhat full.
That still makes no sense, if one prefers their calories (and mind you, I'm specifically talking about carbs actually) from whole foods, likely they prefer their protein from whole foods as well, so again, the argument would be a moot point. So what I've suggested very obviously targets and addresses those whom prefers the convenience of bars.

Think about it, kind of idiotic if you eat a quest bar for the protein and then a bunch of whole foods to up the calories and add the carbs. At that point, you should really have just eaten a legit meal instead, LoL.

I mean especially if you need to up your carbs and caloric intake, it's nonsensical to kill your appetite with filler fiber from Quest bars dontcha think?

slayer01994

slayer01994

Awards
Quest bars need to stay the same as they are, period. They are great now and I agree I don't know why they are changing them.

Austin118

Awards
  • Established
I'd love for quest to come out with a 50gram protein bar! So needed I find 20grams of protein a bar to low!

alphanik

alphanik

Awards
That still makes no sense, if one prefers their calories (and mind you, I'm specifically talking about carbs actually) from whole foods, likely they prefer their protein from whole foods as well, so again, the argument would be a moot point. So what I've suggested very obviously targets and addresses those whom prefers the convenience of bars. Think about it, kind of idiotic if you eat a quest bar for the protein and then a bunch of whole foods to up the calories and add the carbs. At that point, you should really have just eaten a legit meal instead, LoL. I mean especially if you need to up your carbs and caloric intake, it's nonsensical to kill your appetite with filler fiber from Quest bars dontcha think?
No,the selling point of protein bars are the fact that they are a convenient protein source, as typically protein sources, aside from powder, take preparation ,eg chicken and beef..carb sources, typically do not require preparation, eg bananas, rice cakes...therefore putting them in a bar does not give the buyer value of convenience as carb sources are already convenient...

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No,the selling point of protein bars are the fact that they are a convenient protein source, as typically protein sources, aside from powder, take preparation ,eg chicken and beef..carb sources, typically do not require preparation, eg bananas, rice cakes...therefore putting them in a bar does not give the buyer value of convenience as carb sources are already convenient...
Your argument there is nonsensical. If I need let's say 40-50 grams of carbs in a sitting, you want me to eat how many bananas and how many rice cakes with that Quest bar now? Serious? Now let's say I'm eating the banana, so that's roughly 2 bananas AND a Quest bar, so with all that fiber, that's going to be productive towards me needing to meat my daily caloric and macro needs how?

Because your example, I should just carry protein powder around instead of Quest bars. What would the Quest bars really be for then?

How do you explain the overwhelming amount of high caloric protein bars then (which there's only a limited few for me since the majority are high calorie but not very high carbs as they use mainly sugar alcohols)?

A high cal high carb bar is a MRP essentially. That is their purpose. Not because people want convenient protein.

scope75

scope75

Awards
  • Established
Your argument there is nonsensical. If I need let's say 40-50 grams of carbs in a sitting, you want me to eat how many bananas and how many rice cakes with that Quest bar now? Serious? Now let's say I'm eating the banana, so that's roughly 2 bananas AND a Quest bar, so with all that fiber, that's going to be productive towards me needing to meat my daily caloric and macro needs how?

Because your example, I should just carry protein powder around instead of Quest bars. What would the Quest bars really be for then?

How do you explain the overwhelming amount of high caloric protein bars then (which there's only a limited few for me since the majority are high calorie but not very high carbs as they use mainly sugar alcohols)?

A high cal high carb bar is a MRP essentially. That is their purpose. Not because people want convenient protein.
Sound like you just need to make your own bars. Would be simple and cheaper than quest doing it for you.
I

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sound like you just need to make your own bars. Would be simple and cheaper than quest doing it for you.
I
LoL.

What I'm saying is that it's a big market and most certainly one in which if Quest had a SKU for, it would inevitably be a big seller and well received (if they do it with the same quality as their main Quest bars line). I don't understand why people are so resistant to the idea, lulz. It expands the brand whilst not offending their low cal and low carb demographic.

For goodness sakes, the chips they put out seems to be pretty popular, I tried it and they are meh to me, but I bet dat chit still sells like crazy. So if they can sell flavoured cardboard-like snacks and make a killing, I dunno, seems like a great idea to tap into that high cal high carbs bars market as well.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Quest is not marketed for higher calorie approaches, it is meant to be "Fit" and more towards general gym goers, hence their apparel selections as well. Its meant to be low calorie, its meant to be healthy, and meant to be for those trying to make a change and help clean up their diets with the "Cheat Clean Mentality"

If you need more carbs nothing wrong with eating on the side, If you want a different bar then look for higher calorie options on the market, plenty to choose from

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Keeping costs down would be a factor.

Isnt palm oil destroying habitats for a lot of endangered animals?

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
Keeping costs down would be a factor.

Isnt palm oil destroying habitats for a lot of endangered animals?
What if you're all for that though?

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
LoL.

What I'm saying is that it's a big market and most certainly one in which if Quest had a SKU for, it would inevitably be a big seller and well received (if they do it with the same quality as their main Quest bars line). I don't understand why people are so resistant to the idea, lulz. It expands the brand whilst not offending their low cal and low carb demographic.

For goodness sakes, the chips they put out seems to be pretty popular, I tried it and they are meh to me, but I bet dat chit still sells like crazy. So if they can sell flavoured cardboard-like snacks and make a killing, I dunno, seems like a great idea to tap into that high cal high carbs bars market as well.
I don't like the company, but what about the MusclePharm bars? Not completely what you suggested, but closer.

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
Hahah I clearly don't know **** about bars. Bars are too expensive, I buy them once in a blue moon. Seems like we got some millionaires on this board making it rain Quest Bars with the way they are fiending for them!

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chips are a cool concept, but not really for me. The powder is expensive... the bars though, perfectly priced and great tasting for such an impressive macro profile.

I'm as happy as Ive been with the bars, just got a box of coconut cashew yesterday. Perhaps my fav flavor, it never gets old even after like ten boxes lol.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chips are a cool concept, but not really for me. The powder is expensive... the bars though, perfectly priced and great tasting for such an impressive macro profile. I'm as happy as Ive been with the bars, just got a box of coconut cashew yesterday. Perhaps my fav flavor, it never gets old even after like ten boxes lol.
chips are gross

I've had a few different kinds of protein chips

Haven't had quest but If I were going to eat chips, ****ing Doritos all day. Don't want to ruin a good thing lol

Reactions: mw1
kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Chef Irvine or new Met-Rx bars are my go to.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Quest is not marketed for higher calorie approaches, it is meant to be "Fit" and more towards general gym goers, hence their apparel selections as well. Its meant to be low calorie, its meant to be healthy, and meant to be for those trying to make a change and help clean up their diets with the "Cheat Clean Mentality"

If you need more carbs nothing wrong with eating on the side, If you want a different bar then look for higher calorie options on the market, plenty to choose from
Not really a lot of options on the market for high carbs tbh. Majority of the high cal bars don't have a lot of carbs and their calories are mostly coming from fats. The carbs they do have tend to be sugar alcohols. Including Fit Crunch.

That's why I've been eating just MetRX 100 bars. But I've been through like 7 boxes now, there's only so much of the two readily available flavours I can handle. LoL.

scope75

scope75

Awards
  • Established
Not really a lot of options on the market for high carbs tbh. Majority of the high cal bars don't have a lot of carbs and their calories are mostly coming from fats. The carbs they do have tend to be sugar alcohols. Including Fit Crunch.

That's why I've been eating just MetRX 100 bars. But I've been through like 7 boxes now, there's only so much of the two readily available flavours I can handle. LoL.
Do not eat real food or have something against real food. Lol
All this bar talk makes it seem like you just bars because you either hate food or can't cook. ;)

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do not eat real food or have something against real food. Lol
All this bar talk makes it seem like you just bars because you either hate food or can't cook. ;)
Desk job. I already wake up at 4:20 in the morning and sleep at around 8:30 at night. Honestly don't have time to seriously cook. I use to cook though when I didn't train so much (I'm basically doing the amount of work as 2 a days every morning, then work, then home, eat, clean the place a little, shower, and hour or so later, sleep).

I also work Saturdays. Sundays are reserved for chores.

scope75

scope75

Awards
  • Established
Desk job. I already wake up at 4:20 in the morning and sleep at around 8:30 at night. Honestly don't have time to seriously cook. I use to cook though when I didn't train so much (I'm basically doing the amount of work as 2 a days every morning, then work, then home, eat, clean the place a little, shower, and hour or so later, sleep).

So when you you actually live then??
Sounds like a hectic schedule.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established

No excuse I wake up at 3 and work 11 hours a day 6days a week do all my cooking on my day off and reheat in the microwave.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So when you you actually live then??
Sounds like a hectic schedule.
When I take time off from work :D

No excuse I wake up at 3 and work 11 hours a day 6days a week do all my cooking on my day off and reheat in the microwave.
You seem to have completely ignored the part where I said Sundays are reserved for chores. This includes doing my laundry, shopping for supplies, time to eat, clean the house, etc.

Yeah, I'd cook on Sunday... if I wasn't so damn exhausted all said and done.

Back on subject though, if the argument is going to be made for Quest to not put out a high carbs SKU because one can just eat actual food, why the heck even argue that point then? The only argument then should be Quest bars are pointless, just eat real food. Seems to be some sort of unnecessary defending or being apologetic on behalf of Quest. Which brings me back to my original point, the main stream consumers in which Quest makes most of their money from, likely only bought the effen things based on the brand recognition, not necessarily because it's the low carb low cal company. So it would appear to be a very good idea to expand the line with a high car high cal line of bars as well. For goodness sakes, they sell effen apparel now.

Back to the GNC example. They are practically selling only Quest bars as the only third part protein bar brand in their stores now. Is this because their clientele have magically become carb-a-phobes? No, because they still sell plenty of weight gainers. It's strictly due to brand recognition (and Quest probably throwing a lot of marketing dollars their way).

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

What would I expect from a Quest High Carbs bar? QUALITY INGREDIENTS. It's not that easy to find a high carb bar with excellent quality ingredients and protein sources. There's plenty of high CALORIES bars but a large portion of their calories are coming from fat sources, not necessarily carbs. Even Fit Crunch which is high calories, there's barely any carbs in those, they are mainly sugar alcohols.
You're actually totally and completely wrong about this. This argument actually had me laughing out loud dude. Quest caters to a healthfood crowd that is extremely conscious of caloric intake. Most of their consumers are dieting, this is their manta ("on a quest"), and most select Quest BECAUSE it is low in calories relative to protein content.

If Quest followed your advice, it would be the end of their company.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

I work 4 am-8pm 7 days a week (those are work hours, not waking hours) and make time to cook. It's quick and easy unless you're preparing meals for a whole family or something.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You're actually totally and completely wrong about this. This argument actually had me laughing out loud dude. Quest caters to a healthfood crowd that is extremely conscious of caloric intake. Most of their consumers are dieting, this is their manta ("on a quest"), and most select Quest BECAUSE it is low in calories relative to protein content.

If Quest followed your advice, it would be the end of their company.
They started out as such, now they are full throttle mainstream. Go into GNC, please explain how inexplicably that virtually the only 3rd party protein bars they carry now are Quest bars.

Did GNC's clientele magically all become calories and carbs conscious? Highly unlikely.

This thing at GNC btw is something that only started happening in the past few months. It appears that Quest **** blocked all other protein bar brands from GNC. Is this because carb consciousness has all of a sudden gained mass hysteria status in the past few months or is it actually because Quest has outgrown the low carb market and now fully targeting the mainstream market?

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I work 4 am-8pm 7 days a week (those are work hours, not waking hours) and make time to cook. It's quick and easy unless you're preparing meals for a whole family or something.

That is impressive, but don't you also not sleep? :p

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
You sir are a machine

Thank god for stims

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
i would opt for Chef Irvine, or Krave > MP
Irvine bars were decent.
Have to admit, the Combat Crunch bars taste good, I was surprised by them.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
They started out as such, now they are full throttle mainstream. Go into GNC, please explain how inexplicably that virtually the only 3rd party protein bars they carry now are Quest bars.

Did GNC's clientele magically all become calories and carbs conscious? Highly unlikely.

This thing at GNC btw is something that only started happening in the past few months. It appears that Quest **** blocked all other protein bar brands from GNC. Is this because carb consciousness has all of a sudden gained mass hysteria status in the past few months or is it actually because Quest has outgrown the low carb market and now fully targeting the mainstream market?
Quest doesn't sell that much volume at GNC. They operate through health food stores like Whole Foods