Smelling salts

ethan_wilde

ethan_wilde

Awards
Been doing some research on smelling salts and have a buddy who has tried it before maxing for squats. Any info or knowledge on it?

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Been doing some research on smelling salts and have a buddy who has tried it before maxing for squats. Any info or knowledge on it?
please don't do that.

R_Law43

Awards
Mostly common with powerlifters but yeah don't know about the long term affects. It helps release more adrenalin but in my opinion it also could possibly raise cortisol levels as well. So I wouldn't use it often.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
definitely wouldn't use it often. I see a lot of people in meets use it but yea its for adrenaline.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mostly common with powerlifters but yeah don't know about the long term affects. It helps release more adrenalin but in my opinion it also could possibly raise cortisol levels as well. So I wouldn't use it often.
A 5s burst of adrenaline isn't going to raise cortisol.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good for maxes, I do not like it for reps and have heard many say the same. Best if used in the weeks leading up to a meet and meet day. Just helps with focus and adrenaline to make a tough lift. Not a make or break thing if you're not a competitive powerlifter. I've done a couple three meets without it as well. This isn't research, just anecdote that has been repeated time and again in powerlifting.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always that that was ammonia the PLers were smelling.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I always that that was ammonia the PLers were smelling.
Smelling Salts=Ammonium carbonate. It releases ammonia I believe?

You can get real used to it though if you use it a lot. Use it very sparingly for better effects.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rad83 Supplements 12
General Chat 2
Nutrition / Health 7
ethan_wilde Supplements 9
Powerlifting/Strongman 6