Best whey isolate powders

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
Which brand whey isolate do you guys recommend? I've used Nature's Best Isopure for over a decade with great results, and switched to Allmax Isoflex, but it's just too damn expensive now. I'm thinking about BSN Syntha 6 isolate, I'm lactose intolerant, and only want to use whey isolate.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
IFNs or VPXs.. they are my favorites. though VPXs is expensive, u get what you pay for.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I really like the taste of syntha-6 for some reason. If you're only getting 100% isolate you might as well just get lowest cost per serving if you aren't big on taste. I don't use 100% isolate but I have tried a few tubs of isopure and the flavors were just ok. I think most flavoring is on that level now (although taste is subjective) check out some of ours below.

http://www.strongsupplementshop.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?limit=all&q=Isolate

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
SAN Titanium Whey Isolate or VPX SRO.
I had SANs regularly whey, coconut banana cream flavor and it was amazing. Not sure if they're isolate is the same but it was one of the best tasting proteins I have had.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Isotean
Syntrax Nectar
Species Isolyze

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
The best isolate I've ever used in terms of mixability, taste, and everything else is Dymatize ISO-100. It made Isoflex look like garbage for me personally(I used Isoflex and the Isoflex Chiller exclusively before I found out about ISO-100).

I am lactose intolerant as well, but I've switched over to PES Select. Give Select a try. To be honest, It causes an insignificant amount of gas for me on occasion(in comparison to never a single problem with ISO-100), but it is a far superior protein and the GI discomfort is rare and minor in comparison to other non-isolates. I actually had worse stomach problems using Isoflex(I learned that Isoflex is a terrible protein from experience and research), and I personally have found pure isolates like ISO100 too insulinogenic to really do anything beneficial.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had SANs regularly whey, coconut banana cream flavor and it was amazing. Not sure if they're isolate is the same but it was one of the best tasting proteins I have had.
I've had Chocolate Graham Cracker Whey and Vanilla Whey Isolate. They were both pretty good.

hsk

Awards
  • Established
ON, Muscle Feast, NOW Foods, and TrueNutrition.

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
So far from what I've read and compared, NOW natural isolate seems like the most cost effective and pure. For the price I was paying for Allmax Isoflex, I could buy 2 4lb tubs of other brand isolates. F--k Allmax

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
IFNs or VPXs.. they are my favorites. though VPXs is expensive, u get what you pay for.
I believed that for a while, but I'm beginning to realize how hyped 90% of these isolates are. Wish I hadn't wasted hundreds on Natures Best and Allmax...

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
Just ordered 2 5lb tubs of Dymatize ISO 100 for $105 shipped! Chocolate and Birthday cake. Awesome price! Almost half the price of Allmax Isoflex. Thanks for the input fellas

mdritter3

Awards
Can't go wrong with dymatize...cost effective and high quality...I m a fan of the syntha 6 isolate its flavors are great

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
I hope you enjoy ISO-100. My favorite was the Cookies and Cream. Even though I'm a Select guy now, I will say this about ISO-100: it is the best mixing protein I've ever used, which is a sign of a high quality isolate. Even in a glass with a spoon, one swirl, maybe two, and it would be completely dissolved without a single clump. It also never once bothered my lactose intolerance, and I'm pretty bad.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im big on IsoFlex... the price is just so damn high.

ricroc

ricroc

Awards
  • Established
I like NOW Foods. Good price, at least when I was buying the 5lb tub, mixes well. I'd always go with the unflavored since I put it in my morning coffee.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dymatize, ALLMAX, and SAN if you want a pure isolate.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Blue Star Iso-Smooth possibly the best vanilla isolate i have tried
Allmax Isoflex.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Iso pure is junk. ISO-100 is where it's at hands down

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
Hey, I tried to tell 'em about Select. Also IsoFlex is pure trash guys. It used to be king when Isolates were not as common, but it's spiked, mixes absolutely terribly, still caused gas(both of these shouldn't happen with a quality pure iso), and is unnecessarily expensive. I'm saying this bc I used it for YEARS, and I wish I knew better.

I can't digest lactose but Select doesn't bother me 9 or 9.5/10 times, even on days when I eat spicy foods(which is usually a lactose no no). I noticed a MAJOR difference moving from a pure ISO to Select, in terms of strength, recovery etc. It is more like a whole food whereas ISOs are heavily processed. I'm loyal to Select above all else now.

My personal experience switching to a blend was before I would drink an isolate, I would get a bit of energy 45-60 mins after drinking it, then crash, also it wouldn't fill me up, it would have no effect on hunger. Now if I am working or exercising while fasted, Select keeps me satiated and there is no crash, bc it doesn't produce a HUGE insulin spike. Basically I started to feel the same drinking an Isolate than if I were to drink a sugary soda, which is a problem.

For me at least, Select's science is legit. I started to look for a new protein when I realized all this was happening and came to the conclusion that my Isolates are too insulinogenic and that's why I was experiencing what I was, and when I read Select's science confirmed my observations, I was sold.

tl;dr, Select is the god's protein. These are my personal experiences though, but the science seems to validate them.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Beside ISO 100 I also like bulk whey isolate. I can make shakes, add it to my hot or cold drinks or cook with it.

Gym God

Gym God

Awards
Which brand whey isolate do you guys recommend? I've used Nature's Best Isopure for over a decade with great results, and switched to Allmax Isoflex, but it's just too damn expensive now. I'm thinking about BSN Syntha 6 isolate, I'm lactose intolerant, and only want to use whey isolate.
Blue Star Iso-Smooth possibly the best vanilla isolate i have tried
Allmax Isoflex.
Pricey but in your case, your body will thank you for it.

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Why do you all still 100% whey? Especially 100% whey isolate?

Silly rabbits, iso's are for kids

Whey casein blends are for men and muscles. Don't take my word for it...take the scientific facts summarized on http://SelectProtein.com
Isolate and specifically hydro isolate should be primarily(IMO) as a post workout anabolic catalyst. The best being a hydrolyzed caseinate (peptopro) which can actually maintain postprandial amino acid levels like a casein, with the benefits of hydro. Problem is its ridiculously expensive.

PES Select is much more beneficial as an all round protein supplement. PES Select strength comes in its ability to, in short, maintain an anabolic environment when compared to a pure isolate or a hydro isolate. But if my memory serves me correctly, hydro isolates or peptopro cause a faster anabolic signal then a concentrate/casein/whey blend.

The two serve ultimately two different purposes and can be stacked very efficiently.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Nothing wrong with whey post-workout or a blend, there is a few links from cooper showing a blend superior post-workout.

Most people eat a pre-workout meal that is still digesting in the post-workout period or an intra-workout BCAA/EAA Beverage which still has MPS levels elevated in the post-workout period. the absolute need for an iso post-workout would only be for those who are lactose intolerant.

Mike McCandless has put over 100,000$ into WPH research when i use to work at scivation. he was going to formulate a post-workout product called DH-32, the reason he did not. not enough valid research or backing to WPH compared to a regular whey blend if meeting protein intake in the 24 hour period. Any company that has a WPH or WPI product wont have valid research and need a post-workout isolate/WPH shake right after their workout for the most part.

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
I think nattydisaster was correct in recommending Select in this thread. I see people focusing on the words "isolate" and "blend", instead of just looking at the facts. Fact is that Select has less than 1g of sugar, which means less than 1g of lactose, which means it isn't going to bother someone who is lactose intolerant(ie. myself).

People are just spouting off the word "isolate" as if it's the conclusion, rather than a premise, which is circular reasoning. Look at the product itself(ie. Select having less than 1g sugar aka the premise) to form the conclusion (That recommending Select is ok even in an "isolate" thread).

I think Isolates are overhyped post-workout as well. Perhaps mrcooper could explain the science in more detail, but apparently even isolates still take almost an hour to get absorbed into your bloodstream, so all you are doing when drinking a pure isolate is just generating an insulin spike and robbing yourself of prolonged protein synthesis due to isolates returning you to baseline much quicker than a blend. Just look at proteins in nature. Every single protein is slowly digested, which is why I love Select in the first place--it's closer to a whole food and therefore a much more efficacious supplement.

Sorry if I seem like a Select fanboy. I'm not too big on supplements in general, but I sincerely view Select as a real big step forward in the supplement industry personally(I remember a time when protein products were all of low quality), so I'm passionate about the product.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
He asked for an isolate recommendation.

He bought isolate.

Done.

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
He asked for an isolate recommendation.

He bought isolate.

Done.
hahaha I agree with this as well. I knew this thread's purpose was over a while back personally, I just wanted to gush over Select just a bit more.

LMuscle

LMuscle

Awards
As I stated in my first post, I'm lactose intolerant, but Select sounds like some damn good ****. I'll have to give it a try! The worst that could happen is I fart myself to death haha

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i prefer isolate over a blend any day....don't see a need to supplement with a slow digesting protein when you consider real food into the equation...no need to have aminos traveling around the bloodstream for 8 hours when it's possible that i can eat twice in that amount of time...but especially post workout, drink your isolate and eat 45-60minutes later...no need for the slow protein imo

with that said i just purchased a blend but mainly because of the price tag...at the end of the day if you decide to supplement with a protein powder then the overall body comp differences will not be a huge difference

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I think nattydisaster was correct in recommending Select in this thread. I see people focusing on the words "isolate" and "blend", instead of just looking at the facts. Fact is that Select has less than 1g of sugar, which means less than 1g of lactose, which means it isn't going to bother someone who is lactose intolerant(ie. myself).

People are just spouting off the word "isolate" as if it's the conclusion, rather than a premise, which is circular reasoning. Look at the product itself(ie. Select having less than 1g sugar aka the premise) to form the conclusion (That recommending Select is ok even in an "isolate" thread).

I think Isolates are overhyped post-workout as well. Perhaps mrcooper could explain the science in more detail, but apparently even isolates still take almost an hour to get absorbed into your bloodstream, so all you are doing when drinking a pure isolate is just generating an insulin spike and robbing yourself of prolonged protein synthesis due to isolates returning you to baseline much quicker than a blend. Just look at proteins in nature. Every single protein is slowly digested, which is why I love Select in the first place--it's closer to a whole food and therefore a much more efficacious supplement.

Sorry if I seem like a Select fanboy. I'm not too big on supplements in general, but I sincerely view Select as a real big step forward in the supplement industry personally(I remember a time when protein products were all of low quality), so I'm passionate about the product.
I don't think you are coming off as a fanboy...you just like a good product. Nothing wrong with that.

To my knowledge there has been only one study by Power et al that noted gastric emptying of hydrosylate vs intact was not significantly different. Furthermore that one study found that the appearance of AA in the blood didnt differ and neither did absorption.

Howeever the maximum plasma insulin concentration was...I think about 28% greater following ingestion of the whey protein hydrolysate compared to the intact whey which in turn lead to a 43% increase in the 3 h area under curve of insulin for the whey protein hydrolysate. Whey protein has a significantly stronger insulinotropic effect then intact whey making it beneficial to trigger an anabolic state. Further more it leads to a favorable environment for a post workout meal which can can include PES Select along with a full meal depening on your goals. My position is that hydrosylate is a stronger anabolic trigger. If you want an prolonged protein synthesis, I cited Peptopro being able to do this. Also of note Calbet and Holst reported that whey and casein protein hydrolysates elicited a higher release of GIP which facilitates insulin release from pancreatic beta cells. Insulin is debatably one of the most anabolic hormones in your body(it's just not selectively anabolic).

Hydrolyzed casein has shown to increase blood AA levels and also shows i think about a 35% increase in muscle protein synthesis as oppose to intact casein over a 6 hour period(I gotta look up that study again).

I like PES Select...im currently saving up to by 2 or 3 tubs of it myself and I recommend to friends and family looking for a good protein supplement. Its an awesome formula with extremely high quality ingredients. But in my mind it serves a different purpose. IT CAN BE USED post workout and adding some leucine wouldnt be a bad idea if used post workout. It has pepform(albeit I dont know how much which is why I personally would add some leucine) which does make it beneficial post workout and in general. Heck buying some extra leucine will do the trick. But personally if I could afford it, I would use a hydro post workout(along with other goodies) and PES Select throughout the day/night.

So when it comes to which isolate powder is "best"...the best IMO is peptopro but its VERY expensive. Last time I checked its abotu $30 for a 1lb unflavored. I cant afford it anymore but when I was able to I noticed a significant difference when compared to other proteins.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm constantly amazed out our self assessments of our physical performance and physique levels and our nutritional needs.

$100 spark plugs don't make your Geo a high performance race car. Nor does premium high octane fuel nor high performance suspensions or wheels and tires.

For 98% of the population on this board the type of protein, rate of digestion and when you take it is making the the most minescule difference if at all and is likely only detectable at the microscopic level. Yet we'll spend $$$ believing we're elite.

Avoid lactose and find the least expensive route IMHO

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
I'm constantly amazed out our self assessments of our physical performance and physique levels and our nutritional needs.

$100 spark plugs don't make your Geo a high performance race car. Nor does premium high octane fuel nor high performance suspensions or wheels and tires.

For 98% of the population on this board the type of protein, rate of digestion and when you take it is making the the most minescule difference if at all and is likely only detectable at the microscopic level. Yet we'll spend $$$ believing we're elite.

Thanks for the info GoHard.

I agree 100% David. That's why I love Select. Next to no lactose, cheap, efficient in terms of protein per serving/protein:calorie ratio, clean profile, tastes amazing. It's got it all.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

speak for yourself, my high performance spark plugs turned my geo tracker into an off road beast when i was 16

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Seems like my self assessment of my enjoyment of peptopro struck a curd

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Edited

I think its sad I actually found your comment funny

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
I use trueproteins/truenutritions for years now myself

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Muscle Feast (WPI) and True Nutrition (Cold Filtered or Micro-filtered Whey Isolate). Both excellent products.