BCAAs

eddieSt.james

eddieSt.james

Awards
Hey guys, are all BCAA products created equal? I've been using Allmax Aminocore (and love it), but it's sometimes hard to find. Are Modern BCAAs a good backup? Or BSN's Aminos? Thoughts?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When looking for a BCAA supp, all you need is a ratio of 2:1:1. More leucine does not mean the product is better. So, when you see ratios of 3:1:1 or even 12:1:1, it does not mean anything significant. The higher leucine content can also cause mixability issues. Also, as far SAA vs. BCAA, from what I have read, there is not going to be a difference in recovery or performance. I will let someone else chime in on that though since I am not quite up to date with that. Also, depending on the type of training you're doing, EAA might be more beneficial.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
PES AminoIV and USP Modern BCAA are my go to amino's...both great for fasted training..

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
have a look at finaflex BCAA/SAAs tastes good and deliver the goods

madmuscle24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Hey guys, are all BCAA products created equal? I've been using Allmax Aminocore (and love it), but it's sometimes hard to find. Are Modern BCAAs a good backup? Or BSN's Aminos? Thoughts?
If you look around you can get a kilo of omega sports bcaa's for $29.99

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yea theres tons of good BCAA's you just have to find one that has quality ingredients and tastes good.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
purple wraath is amazing

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just use Scivation Xtend because it has a lot of servings per price and it has an orange flavor, but profile-wise, the ultimate/complete Amino Acid product easily goes to PES Amino IV.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PES AminoIV and USP Modern BCAA are my go to amino's...both great for fasted training..
Great write-up on Amino IV here https://pescience.com/amino-iv.html. All BCAA products are definitely not created equal. Can't forget the importance of EAA as well!
What they said. People don't realize EAAs are what you want intra workout, and they can make a difference. Amino IV combines BCAAs, EAAs, with the muscle sparing HICA, the bad-ass ingredient Lemon Verbena, and Taurine!

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What they said. People don't realize EAAs are what you want intra workout, and they can make a difference. Amino IV combines BCAAs, EAAs, with the muscle sparing HICA, the bad-ass ingredient Lemon Verbena, and Taurine!
ive gotta try that stuff!!

used to always use EAAs.. but this lemon verbena is too cool.. i got several bottles of thermoxyn on hand which has it too

turff49

turff49

Awards
Taste is always an issue with BCAA's. I've bought some that smelled like dead bodies. Others that were chalky, some that didn't dissolve well no matter how much you shake them. One of the best tasting is the Apple Fusion by FINAFLEX. I love the Blue raspberry taste as well(probably my favorite) but I have to shake it for 90 seconds for it to completely dissolve.
And I agree the 2:1:1 is where it's at. I personally like the SAA's too but there are mixed studies floating around out there.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
BCAA Wise -->
Core ABC, Scivation Xtend, Modern BCAA

BCAA/EAA Mix -->
Intra-MD, Amino IV

EAA -->
Purple Wraath

Remember this

BCAA's would only benefit you for fasted AM Training dosed pre-workout or as a bolus between meals 4-6 hours apart

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Ag-Food-Ind-Hi-Tech-2008.pdf
http://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/optimal-protein-intake-and-meal-frequency-to-support-maximal-protein-synthesis-and-muscle-mass

WHY EAA's more important than BCAA intra-workout:
but EAAs may impart some endurance-like effects that BCAAs simply cannot.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/94/3/809.long

This is the only study done in trained humans consuming EAAs during the workout. These are legit, military-trained personnel doing both resistance and endurance work.

The findings?

"In summary, consumption of a 10-g dose of EAA enriched with leucine during moderate endurance-type exercise stimulated increased MPS when compared with an isonitrogenous EAA supplement with an amino acid profile consistent with high-quality proteins. These data indicate that increasing leucine availability during steady state exercise promotes skeletal muscle protein anabolism and spares endogenous protein."

Cliffs:

These EAAs increased postworkout MPS by 33% when consumed during exercise
The drink with the highest leucine content spared muscle to the greatest degree

turff49

turff49

Awards
I take it those are just "your" favorites? No offense to Scivation but did not care for it at all.
Amino IV was just "OK" in my book.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I take it those are just "your" favorites? No offense to Scivation but did not care for it at all.
Amino IV was just "OK" in my book.
So what makes a SAA product better due to the fact most of the research has been done on insects.
Quite Curious.

turff49

turff49

Awards
So what makes a SAA product better due to the fact most of the research has been done on insects. Quite Curious.
I don't know is my easiest answer and that's why I stated my reply the way I did. I work out fasted and use my BCAA's prior to workout. On leg day I use it pre and intra. I have better response with the BCAA/SAA(Finaflex) than I did with Amino IV. I also have had great response with purple Wrath. I can't remember on Modern. Could there be other reasons? Sure. But I used each one for a full 30 days. Just my personal observations.
I wasn't trying to put down EAA's or say SAA's are superior or anything like that. Was just asking if those you listed are the ones you like in those categories you listed.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ive gotta try that stuff!!

used to always use EAAs.. but this lemon verbena is too cool.. i got several bottles of thermoxyn on hand which has it too
Definitely try it out man! Tastes delicious, and more importantly, backed by science.

I don't know is my easiest answer and that's why I stated my reply the way I did. I work out fasted and use my BCAA's prior to workout. On leg day I use it pre and intra. I have better response with the BCAA/SAA(Finaflex) than I did with Amino IV. I also have had great response with purple Wrath. I can't remember on Modern. Could there be other reasons? Sure. But I used each one for a full 30 days. Just my personal observations.
I wasn't trying to put down EAA's or say SAA's are superior or anything like that. Was just asking if those you listed are the ones you like in those categories you listed.
SAAs are not scientifically proven and pale in comparison to BCAAs and EAAs.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Given accurate labeling, i'm surprised anyone can differentiate properly dosed 2:1:1 products.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
When looking for a BCAA supp, all you need is a ratio of 2:1:1. More leucine does not mean the product is better. So, when you see ratios of 3:1:1 or even 12:1:1, it does not mean anything significant. The higher leucine content can also cause mixability issues. Also, as far SAA vs. BCAA, from what I have read, there is not going to be a difference in recovery or performance. I will let someone else chime in on that though since I am not quite up to date with that. Also, depending on the type of training you're doing, EAA might be more beneficial.
This is false. There is much more data showing leucine is the key BCAA than there is showing a 2:1:1 ratio is best. 3-5g leucine is key, the rest of the BCAAs are nice but don't contribute much besides aiding metabolism

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Also, SAA are completely bunk so really no point in pursuing that end. The AAs are fairly worthless too, i.e. glycine

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Well there are other reasons because AMino IV is everything in purple wraath + more, for all intents and purposes