After preaching real food for years....

wray98

wray98

Awards
How many people are finally going to quit using protein powders? I understand and know there are honest companies out there meeting label claims for protein content and amounts. With all the drama and loss of trust in companies and protein powders, how many of you will finally go the whole food route now?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not me. I'll continue to use protein powders from the companies that treat their customers properly.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not me. I'll continue to use protein powders from the companies that treat their customers properly.
yep. Pronom and select are my favorites. I even trust ON whey but don't pay for it unless there is a huge sale. PA has used it for years he said. Either way I trust a few and will continue to use them.

MultiVitamin

MultiVitamin

Awards
yep. Pronom and select are my favorites. I even trust ON whey but don't pay for it unless there is a huge sale. PA has used it for years he said. Either way I trust a few and will continue to use them.
I agree with this..

I think whole foods should definitely make up more of your diet than less, but some people obviously cannot hit their macros on whole foods alone because of appetite, schedule, etc.

ON is definitely top in books, I've said it for years, you pay for quality, and guess what, they're still around. I have no problem dishing ON or other reputable companies extra $$ to know I'm not getting shorted 50% or MORE of label claims

Not to use this as a cheesy way to pimp some product, but Menace is releasing their new protein... :D (qualitiezzz)

emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Awards
  • Established
precisely why I went to only Canadian sourced hemp protein

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
protein has its place but there is no doubt people over consume whey

jaces

jaces

Awards
I think protein powder is fine , its all the add-ons that people should stop using , I mean yeah a pre-workout has some awesome name and an ingredient list that you cant pronounce without a degree in chemistry , so do we realy need this?d take l-glutamine , a lot of people use it for recovery but new studies show that extra l-glutamine does nothing for muscle growth and recovery , so why waste money? So I will use my protein powder and creatine but it will probably stop there ,,

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Real food is great, but the convenience of powdered protein is too much. I just buy from the ones that seem most reliable. Right now it's Pronom/Select for me.

machinehead

machinehead

Awards
  • Established
No way. Real protein food is for those who can digest and assimilate it. Only hydrolized protein for me: Proto Whey, Platinum Hydro Whey, Now Whey Protein Hydrolysate, PeptoPro.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Protein shakes are still one of the cheapest sources I have found of protein and most of them have low carbs/fats

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Protein shakes are still one of the cheapest sources I have found of protein and most of them have low carbs/fats
That is if the company you are using is meeting label claims. Sometimes when you pay a bit more for a product that does meet label claims or not finding a good deal at the supermarket it will not be the cheapest.

I still would suggest getting the majority from whole foods and then supplementing what you need to help reach protein intake and protein minimums in the 24 hour period.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
GAT or Cellucor for me. Two of the best companies out there for Whey and products in general.

But I must say that 95 % of my daily protein requirements still come from whole foods. I'll throw in a scoop of Whey post workout and use one for my shake before bed. Some days I have no Whey at all. Such as yesterday. Still got over 200 grams of protein for the day without it.

macwad

Awards
  • Established
Didn't know about this problem.
I only buy protein from the US because the ones made in Brazil are awful, tests made with many shown that ALL don't match label claims.

So, what do you think of Dymatize Elite Whey?
I'm going to US in two weeks and I would like to buy a 10lbs protein and that one is one of the cheapest...
Any advice?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This exactly. The brands I trust for protein powders was once pretty large, now, It is just PES, Controlled Labs, SAN, Universal, and Cellucor. It prefer a blend which is why I put PES and CL first.

slayer01994

slayer01994

Awards
Supplements like protein powders are to supplement in your gains. Majority of your growth will come from eatting a sufficient amound of calories and the right amount of protein whatever that may be. Protein powders are to add some extra needed protein at certain times. For convenience when training in the gym right when you get done you cant cook up a chicken breast in the locker room so a protein shake is the simplest solution.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Metabolic Drive and Dymatize Casein ftw!!!

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Has anyone ever tried Mutant's products? I was thinking of trying them out but would like to hear some feedback first. Their Whey looks outstanding.

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
FYI, even though Iron Whey has aminos in the ingredient list, it meets label claims. I saw Marc Lobliner tested it. So I got a couple tubs on a good deal. Peanut Butter Cup is pretty tasty.

Goliath1

Goliath1

Banned
Awards
I actually just cut powders out, trying to focus on getting my protein from my food alone...

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Protein powders have always and will always be a supplement in my house. Our grocery bills are insane as is and we need a supplemental way to conveniently get in the calories and protein sometimes.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
FYI, even though Iron Whey has aminos in the ingredient list, it meets label claims. I saw Marc Lobliner tested it. So I got a couple tubs on a good deal. Peanut Butter Cup is pretty tasty.
Marc didn't really test using an AA assay. Iirc he uses nitrogen count, which gets skewed when there are free form aminos in there.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
It depends tho, if going on a bulk I will mainly eat good for protein intake, but cutting with a few shakes is easier IMO

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It depends tho, if going on a bulk I will mainly eat good for protein intake, but cutting with a few shakes is easier IMO
I would think so. Straight protein really does not appear to contribute to fat gains even if they account for excess calories in a hyper caloric diet. A calorie is not a calorie, depends on where the calorie is coming from.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I use far less than I used to. There was a point when I was using 10 lbs a month(was living in dorms and over relying on powder for sure.) Now I use 2 scoops per shake and maybe two to three shakes a week total. I use far more food than ever and like being able to eat more. I really only use them when food is a major inconvenience. I still look at most proteins as food though. I drink skim milk for instance. Skim milk is milk that has the protein, carbs and everything but the fat isolated. Protein powder is simply taken a step further and isolates only the protein. Not really a huge difference in my mind. Both are food to me.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't use a lot of powder to begin with. And I buy from companies I trust and that have a solid track record.

So, nothing has changed.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
I prefer to eat my protein. I'll use a scoop of it though to boost my cottage cheese or greek yogurt post workout. I dont f around with shakes.

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
Is NutraBio really unpopular here or something? I rarely see them pop in discussion re: protein powders or bulk powders

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
They are a pretty high grade company. If you check out their site their operation is top notch for what they make. Their labels go so far as to disclose the mg amount of sweeteners and flavorings. By far the most full disclosure labels I have ever seen.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They are a pretty high grade company. If you check out their site their operation is top notch for what they make. Their labels go so far as to disclose the mg amount of sweeteners and flavorings. By far the most full disclosure labels I have ever seen.
That's pretty cool, and I wasn't being facetious, I have never heard of them. But honestly, we keep protein around for a snack or a quick something if we are running out the door, so I don't get into it quite like some folks. For those that do, or the college age people here, that may be a company to look into.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is NutraBio really unpopular here or something? I rarely see them pop in discussion re: protein powders or bulk powders
They're just a tad pricey. Other than that I've had good results from the creatine I bought there. That was like 5 or 6 years ago.

kdubson14

Awards
  • Established
They're just a tad pricey. Other than that I've had good results from the creatine I bought there. That was like 5 or 6 years ago.
Yea, they're at a higher price point compared to the rest of the market and prices have risen dramatically (30%+ for beta alanine and whey iso) over the past 5+ years.

I'm a big fan of the full disclosure labeling and their customer service is pretty outstanding.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I mean yeah a pre-workout has some awesome name and an ingredient list that you cant pronounce without a degree in chemistry , so do we realy need this?,
You don't need to be a genius to do some research. There are quite a many research supported actives that are quite effective performance enhancers. Not to mention health and wellness aspects as well. The pronunciation of their names is not critical.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
^^^USP labs has some good tasting protein is all I know, pretty legit IMO

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Usp Labs are the guys who first brought protein spiking into the public eye.
maybe on this board, but in the general (supp market) scene its been going on for years and people have noticed it. Now companies are being exposed people are continually 3rd party testing products to see if they match label claims.

Next people will get their amino products checked because some of them are falling way short on leucine or overall BCAA content per serving. I know a brand that falls over 1g short of leucine based off what they say on their label.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
I'll continue to use PES Select until they stop making it or I die. God I love that stuff.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll continue to use PES Select until they stop making it or I die. God I love that stuff.
Thanks for the support :)

Ca2pa

Awards
I know a site is testing select as we speak so a week or two we all can bow to PES :). But I only use 2-3 scoops per week drink wise a few more when baking cheesecakes or ice cream. Protein on sale is hard to beat price wise.

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
I know a site is testing select as we speak so a week or two we all can bow to PES :). But I only use 2-3 scoops per week drink wise a few more when baking cheesecakes or ice cream. Protein on sale is hard to beat price wise.
Baking cheesecake you say?

Care to share what recipe you're using

alexoc949

alexoc949

Awards
  • Established
I love me some cheesecake.. figure u can make it with fat free cream cheese, stevia or splenda, boost it with protein powder and maybe even sneak in some coconut flour and get some fiber in there

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I have never purchased their protein but I have used a few of their products. I like the full disclosure labeling and I have not been disappointed with one of their products. I think they are a great company.

STEELCITY

Awards
People forget that the food today is loaded with all these hormones. Unless you're a farmer, majority of the food we eat is crap. Then people wonder why there's guys dropping dead in their 30's of heart attacks. All these hormones have got to be enlarging our hearts and other organs. Me personally, that's why I like to take a good test booster once or twice a year to "flush the b!tch out". All these foods probably give us more estrogen than other things. Just my thoughts.

But to not get off topic here, I love my ON protein. I'll pay for it because of it's quality. As for food, just be careful what you eat. Make sure that chicken that you're eating isn't caged up and getting kicked around because what people don't understand is that when that happens, the chicken gets scared, when it gets scared, it's adrenaline is pumping, when it's adrenaline is pumping and it gets killed.........guess who's eating that chicken breast loaded with adrenaline? I've done some homework on halaal meat. Which is kind of like kosher, but for muslims. That meat is actually very clean because they typically kill the animal by slicing it's throat and letting it hang upside down until it's drained. Rather than snapping it's neck. AND!! Make sure to boil a lot of the meat. Boiling can really clean that meat.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
People are living longer than they used to buddy^^