Magnesium

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wonder if the smart people on here can help me understand a reaction I had to a magnesium supplement that I recently tried. Typically, I take ZMA before bed and it really helps knock me out (I sometimes add melatonin, agmatine and/or an herbal tea). However, recently I decided to try a slow release magnesium malate (500 mg of magnesium). Unfortunately, every night that I tried it, I had trouble sleeping. I'd wake up after about three or four hours of sleep and be wide awake/alert. Has anyone else experienced this or know why I could be having this reaction to the magnesium malate? I'm curious if it has something to do with the malic acid it's bonded to or somehow related to the slow release mechanism? Any thoughts/information would be appreciated.

MultiVitamin

MultiVitamin

Awards
If magnesium did have a causal negative impact it could be due to your individual neurotransmitter regulation. Magnesium is NMDA antagonist and GABA agonist, and both neurotransmitters are important for the modulation of sleep. Just as some people respond differently to caffeine, I imagine one could respond differently to magnesium.

Have you tried to play with your dosage?

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Other forms of magnesium (like magnesium aspartate) don't impact me negatively...even when taking up to 450 mg of magnesium. They're great for helping me fall asleep. It was only the slow release magnesium malate that caused sleep problems. If I cut the dosage in half (250 mg of magnesium as magnesium malate), then it doesn't impact me negatively (i.e. cause insomnia) too much but then I'm not getting the full amount. Basically, I'm just curious if anyone has theories as to why magnesium malate (in a slow release tablet) in particular could cause sleep problems as I'd like to try the product again because in theory, it seems like a slow release magnesium would be better absorbed/utilized than taking the full amount (like in ZMA) as a single dose.

dbenj7

Awards
I have the same problem with magnesium. If I dose before bed, I am wired and cannot sleep. I changed dosing to the either morning or late afternoon/early evening and don't have a problem

dbenj7

Awards
Other forms of magnesium (like magnesium aspartate) don't impact me negatively...even when taking up to 450 mg of magnesium. They're great for helping me fall asleep. It was only the slow release magnesium malate that caused sleep problems. If I cut the dosage in half (250 mg of magnesium as magnesium malate), then it doesn't impact me negatively (i.e. cause insomnia) too much but then I'm not getting the full amount. Basically, I'm just curious if anyone has theories as to why magnesium malate (in a slow release tablet) in particular could cause sleep problems as I'd like to try the product again because in theory, it seems like a slow release magnesium would be better absorbed/utilized than taking the full amount (like in ZMA) as a single dose.
Mag malate is bound with malic acid which could be energising for you? Either could try switching to another form like mag glycinate or try dosing at other times?

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Charles Poliquin has stated that for those who are significantly deficient in Mag, they may get a slight bump in energy.

I think dbenj7 is on track that in your case that it may have to do with the Malic acid.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If it could be due to your individual neurotransmitter regulation.

Just as some people respond differently to caffeine, I imagine one could respond differently to magnesium.

Have you tried to play with your dosage?
Charles Poliquin has stated that for those who are significantly deficient in Mag, they may get a slight bump in energy.
Lots of good responses in here.

Magnesium can convert blood sugar into energy. My mom actually takes hers in the AM for the subtle added energy throughout the day. Maybe you're similar in your response to it.... Like Multi said, play around with your doses.

I take magnesium oxide (400mg) right before bed with Niacin (500) an sleep way better than when I don't take it/them. I just feel calmer overall.

Also, it contributes to my morning BM. :)

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thank you everyone for the helpful responses. The malic acid must be at least playing a part in causing the insomnia since other forms of magnesium don't have that effect. I just didn't realize malic acid could have such a large impact.

Firerescue - I didn't know that people severely deficient in magnesium could actually get a bump in energy levels. I wonder if the reason I got such an energy boost from the magnesium malate was because both the malic acid and maybe the slow release mechanism of the tablets made it more bioavailable...thus increasing my magnesium levels more than just zma does (and causing that bump in energy levels as mentioned by charles poliquin).

I think I'll try taking it during the day and see how things go.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
I recommend mike mahlers recovery oil for your source of magnesium

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Yikes

Shocker279

Awards
I have the same problem with magnesium. If I dose before bed, I am wired and cannot sleep. I changed dosing to the either morning or late afternoon/early evening and don't have a problem
The same exact thing happens with me. When I take zma or magnesium by itself before bed it makes it impossible for me to fall asleep. I will not use any sleep aid that contains magnesium. I take magnesium preworkout in the morning now with no problems.

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
I wonder if the smart people on here can help me understand a reaction I had to a magnesium supplement that I recently tried. Typically, I take ZMA before bed and it really helps knock me out (I sometimes add melatonin, agmatine and/or an herbal tea). However, recently I decided to try a slow release magnesium malate (500 mg of magnesium). Unfortunately, every night that I tried it, I had trouble sleeping. I'd wake up after about three or four hours of sleep and be wide awake/alert. Has anyone else experienced this or know why I could be having this reaction to the magnesium malate? I'm curious if it has something to do with the malic acid it's bonded to or somehow related to the slow release mechanism? Any thoughts/information would be appreciated.
Thats what usually happens when i take melatonin. I wake up easy after a few hours

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thats what usually happens when i take melatonin. I wake up easy after a few hours
That would suck. Melatonin has always been my fail-safe. I reserve it for the evenings I know I'll have trouble getting to sleep due to loud music from the restaurant nearby, too late of a workout, etc. Typically just an herbal tea and ZMA works fine though...which is why I was a little confused when the magnesium malate before bed (instead of the ZMA) made my insomnia much worse. For now I'm going to just try taking the magnesium malate during the day (with breakfast and dinner) and maybe take agmatine with my herbal tea before bed (which has also worked well in the past).

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely unexpected... I know malic acid is a krebs cycle intermediate, but I wouldnt have expected that supplement to keep you up/give an sort of immediate energy.

Sounds like the cheaper version works quite well for you, no reason not to go back to that.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Definitely unexpected... I know malic acid is a krebs cycle intermediate, but I wouldnt have expected that supplement to keep you up/give an sort of immediate energy.

Sounds like the cheaper version works quite well for you, no reason not to go back to that.
Yeah, definitely not the effect I expected either...in fact, it was exactly the opposite from what I expected.

ZMA definitely seems to work much better with regard to helping me sleep at night. However, do you (or anyone else) know if it's better to spread out your magnesium supplements throughout the day (or take one that's slow release) versus just taking a single, large serving before bed? I'm now wondering if spreading it throughout the day would make it much more bioavailable. Kind of like spreading out your b complex through two or more servings in a day so you don't just piss out the extra from taking too much at once.

avega17

Awards
  • Established
When would it be a good time to dose ZMA other than before bed if the magnesium is causing sleep issues?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 17
Supplements 17
Supplements 34
Supplements 9
Prince IronMag Labs 2