Calorie is not a calorie (at least with protein)

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
JISSN | Full text | The effects of consuming a high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained individuals

I feel that this may hold true with the other two macros as well in terms of what the sources for carbs or fat are coming from would dictate how much excess energy they provide in the context of a hypercaloric diet. I actually went high fat lower carb for a few weeks but calorically matched it, started dropping weight alarmingly fast (was not what I was trying to go for, I honestly just wanted to eat more salads for some reason at the time).

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Saw this on suppversity a while back.

I think it just proves that you can't store a protein calorie as fat. It's impossible. Just like how carbs cannot be turned into fat. DNL hasn't really been proven in humans. Your fat cells can uptake glucose, but you won't make more as a result of excess carbs.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good study...does not surprise me either. I have also seen people run into the same case you mentioned. I have also seen people eat what they think is maintenance and drop weight dramatically fast, in a bad way, and then end up with a roller coaster metabolism they spend half a year trying to get normal again

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good study...does not surprise me either. I have also seen people run into the same case you mentioned. I have also seen people eat what they think is maintenance and drop weight dramatically fast, in a bad way, and then end up with a roller coaster metabolism they spend half a year trying to get normal again
I've seen that with a ton of my clients

It's good too (to a degree) because metabolically you aren't damaging your body that much and then a brief FAT overfeed with the right source you can see drops in weight and increases in metavolism :)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've seen that with a ton of my clients

It's good too (to a degree) because metabolically you aren't damaging your body that much and then a brief FAT overfeed with the right source you can see drops in weight and increases in metavolism :)
You get my message back?

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Back to read later. Thanks for posting

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
JISSN | Full text | The effects of consuming a high protein diet (4.4 g/kg/d) on body composition in resistance-trained individuals

I feel that this may hold true with the other two macros as well in terms of what the sources for carbs or fat are coming from would dictate how much excess energy they provide in the context of a hypercaloric diet. I actually went high fat lower carb for a few weeks but calorically matched it, started dropping weight alarmingly fast (was not what I was trying to go for, I honestly just wanted to eat more salads for some reason at the time).
Genetics have a big role on fat or carbohydrate metabolism. Its individual on how someone would react to carbs or fats in their diet. You maybe a better fat metabolizer but once you add in higher carbs the fat starts accumulating.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Genetics have a big role on fat or carbohydrate metabolism. Its individual on how someone would react to carbs or fats in their diet. You maybe a better fat metabolizer but once you add in higher carbs the fat starts accumulating.
That is of course a major factor as well.