Is Agmatine the holy-grail of supplements?

tybolton

Awards
I know agmatine is awesome for pre workout, before bed and as a GDA. I dose 1 gram pre workout for endurance and pumps, and 1 gram before bed to help with sleep. I definitely notice a difference in my mood and general well being when I'm supplementing with it. What I didn't know was the strong neuro studies and its effect on stress, brain and depression. I found this article and related studies very interesting regarding agmatine.

See the article and studies here:

"Yangzheng et al. (2002) have speculated that agmatine reduces brain injury in neonatal rats exposed to hypoxia and ischemia as a result of its inhibitory effect on nitric oxide synthase. In addition, Gilad et al. (1996) found that agmatine is neuroprotective in both in vitro and in vivo rodent models of neurotoxic and ischemic brain injuries. Because of its multiple interactions with receptors and enzymes, agmatine represents a neurotransmitter that could increase in concentration during conditions such as cardiac arrest to prevent a variety of injurious brain activities. "

"Agmatine may offer protective benefits such as neuroprotection and anxiolysis in response to certain stressful conditions"

"Effect of agmatine against cell death induced by NMDA and glutamate in neurons and PC12 cells."

"Agmatine treatment is neuroprotective in rodent brain injury models."

"Antidepressant-like effect of agmatine and its possible mechanism."

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It definitely is a staple for me. Plenty of reasons to supplement with it.

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Already one of the most popular ingredients for a reason (many threads showing its benefits), continued research giving everyone more reasons to use it

tybolton

Awards
It definitely is a staple for me. Plenty of reasons to supplement with it.
Yep, definitely a staple. Just ordered more tubs of SNS agmatine. I've been using it for a couple of years now.

Reactions: mw1
bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Been using it pretty regularly since MAN BluePrint. Love the stuff. ;)

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Always loved it for pumps and muscle fullness, the extra benefits are icing on the cake.

I had a period of not being able to sleep because of back pain, which 1.5 g Agmatine before bed alleviated.

tybolton

Awards
Yep- Agmatine and nitrates are two ingreds I don't go without
I'm currently stacking Alphamine + SNS Agmatine + Potassium Nitrate....makes for a great workout and I feel absolutely great on a cut...

Is it okay to take the Agmatine with the Alphamine? I want to make sure the Agmatine (GDA) gets along with the Yohimbine and insulin effects.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm currently stacking Alphamine + SNS Agmatine + Potassium Nitrate....makes for a great workout and I feel absolutely great on a cut... Is it okay to take the Agmatine with the Alphamine? I want to make sure the Agmatine (GDA) gets along with the Yohimbine and insulin effects.
Fine to stack them. I've done it numerous times as well as others.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Agmatine has been a staple of mine for a long time now. That, along with Cissus and fish oil. I've only gone 1g a day though. How high does everyone else go, and what time do you take different doses?

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agmatine has been a staple of mine for a long time now. That, along with Cissus and fish oil. I've only gone 1g a day though. How high does everyone else go, and what time do you take different doses?
Most people normally either take it all preworkout, or take some before a meal as for nutrient partitioning effects. I personally don't see the need to go past 1-1.5 grams a day, no noticeable benefit past that.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dose prior to carb meals for the most part. I would dose pre-workout as well but already in my pre.

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Always loved it for pumps and muscle fullness, the extra benefits are icing on the cake. I had a period of not being able to sleep because of back pain, which 1.5 g Agmatine before bed alleviated.
it helped with back pain?

LEATHERFACE92

Banned
Awards
We got most of the benefit dosed only on pre workout days 3 times a week ?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We got most of the benefit dosed only on pre workout days 3 times a week ?
You'll get benefits everyone you dose (pre-meal, pre-workout, pre-bed).

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The benefits of supplementing with it are short of amazing.
I have personally found 500mg pre-workout 500mg post-workout and then maybe 500mg pre-bed to be good doses (not saying you have to dose all 3) as the OP Suggeested

I also know a company owner pointed out that 1.5g of agmatine in a blow could cause some blood sugar problems

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164853341&p=1307946801&viewfull=1#post1307946801

but i am in for some more info. I personally have used agmatine for pre-workout and never noticed anything pump wise in all honesty, i do not know if i really get much GDA effect from it in the post-workout period (nutrient repair) and never tried before bed (i am assuming empty stomach)

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The benefits of supplementing with it are short of amazing.
I have personally found 500mg pre-workout 500mg post-workout and then maybe 500mg pre-bed to be good doses (not saying you have to dose all 3) as the OP Suggeested

I also know a company owner pointed out that 1.5g of agmatine in a blow could cause some blood sugar problems

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164853341&p=1307946801&viewfull=1#post1307946801

but i am in for some more info. I personally have used agmatine for pre-workout and never noticed anything pump wise in all honesty, i do not know if i really get much GDA effect from it in the post-workout period (nutrient repair) and never tried before bed (i am assuming empty stomach)

LEATHERFACE92

Banned
Awards
You'll get benefits everyone you dose (pre-meal, pre-workout, pre-bed).
what?

I was asking if taking 1 gram of agmatine 3 times a week is enough for all the benefits outside the pump

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what? I was asking if taking 1 gram of agmatine 3 times a week is enough for all the benefits outside the pump
Oh. My bad lol.

That I am unsure of when it comes to daily dosing vs non-daily dosing and for benefits outside of a pump.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what?

I was asking if taking 1 gram of agmatine 3 times a week is enough for all the benefits outside the pump
mr.cooper69 can probably answer this.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
am i the only one who gets more excited for the "other" benefits of agmatine than the pumps? for me anyway the pumps from agamtine are ok but nothing special

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

It's important to remember that agmatine augments insulin release but does not mimic insulin, so its capacity to cause hypoglycemia is very low

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've taken 1g in the morning for a few years, and varying amounts preworkout for most of that time as well except when trying new things.

It's been nice to see some brands with slightly more affordable single ingredient agmatine showing up in the last few years.

HotGuns57

HotGuns57

Awards
Most people normally either take it all preworkout, or take some before a meal as for nutrient partitioning effects. I personally don't see the need to go past 1-1.5 grams a day, no noticeable benefit past that.
Agmatine had nutrient partition effects?!

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
J Med Food, 2014
Long-Term (5 Years), High Daily Dosage of Dietary Agmatine-Evidence of Safety: A Case Report
Gilad, GM; Gilad, VH
Abstract There is presently a great interest in the therapeutic potential of agmatine, decarboxylated arginine, for various diseases. Recent clinical studies have already shown that oral agmatine sulfate given for up to 3 weeks provides a safe and, as compared with current therapeutics, more effective treatment for neuropathic pain. These studies have ushered in the use of dietary agmatine as a nutraceutical. However, in view of information paucity, assessment of long-term safety of oral agmatine treatment is now clearly required. The authors of this report undertook to assess their own health status during ongoing consumption of a high daily dosage of oral agmatine over a period of 4-5 years. A daily dose of 2.67 g agmatine sulfate was encapsulated in gelatin capsules; the regimen consists of six capsules daily, each containing 445 mg, three in the morning and three in the evening after meals. Clinical follow-up consists of periodic physical examinations and laboratory blood and urine analyses. All measurements thus far remain within normal values and good general health status is sustained throughout the study period, up to 5 years. This case study shows for the first time that the recommended high dosage of agmatine may be consumed for at least 5 years without evidence of any adverse effects. These initial findings are highly important as they provide significant evidence for the extended long-term safety of a high daily dosage of dietary agmatine-a cardinal advantage for its utility as a nutraceutical.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
1-2 grams per day seems to be a good starting point. I very much like agmatine and will continue to use it for its wide range of functions.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It's important to remember that agmatine augments insulin release but does not mimic insulin, so its capacity to cause hypoglycemia is very low
Just going off what Trae said in that thread.... I know you do not think highly of mad dog (neither do i)

what should you suggest as far as feeling the effecets of agmatine for someone who does not seem to get much pump out of it and would use it for mostly a GDA effect or just screw it and invest in a quality GDA?

tybolton

Awards

thanks for the reply... I've heard a few folk mention it does nothing for them as far as pump goes. It treats me pretty good at 1 gram pre. It's not a ridiculous ArA and nitrate pump, but it's noticeable. I might skip a dose before working out, but never before bed. The tub sits on my night stand along with the Valerian and Melatonin.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm currently stacking Alphamine + SNS Agmatine + Potassium Nitrate....makes for a great workout and I feel absolutely great on a cut...

Is it okay to take the Agmatine with the Alphamine? I want to make sure the Agmatine (GDA) gets along with the Yohimbine and insulin effects.
SNS Agmatine is the bees knees.

tybolton

Awards
J Med Food, 2014
Long-Term (5 Years), High Daily Dosage of Dietary Agmatine-Evidence of Safety: A Case Report
Gilad, GM; Gilad, VH
Abstract There is presently a great interest in the therapeutic potential of agmatine, decarboxylated arginine, for various diseases. Recent clinical studies have already shown that oral agmatine sulfate given for up to 3 weeks provides a safe and, as compared with current therapeutics, more effective treatment for neuropathic pain. These studies have ushered in the use of dietary agmatine as a nutraceutical. However, in view of information paucity, assessment of long-term safety of oral agmatine treatment is now clearly required. The authors of this report undertook to assess their own health status during ongoing consumption of a high daily dosage of oral agmatine over a period of 4-5 years. A daily dose of 2.67 g agmatine sulfate was encapsulated in gelatin capsules; the regimen consists of six capsules daily, each containing 445 mg, three in the morning and three in the evening after meals. Clinical follow-up consists of periodic physical examinations and laboratory blood and urine analyses. All measurements thus far remain within normal values and good general health status is sustained throughout the study period, up to 5 years. This case study shows for the first time that the recommended high dosage of agmatine may be consumed for at least 5 years without evidence of any adverse effects. These initial findings are highly important as they provide significant evidence for the extended long-term safety of a high daily dosage of dietary agmatine-a cardinal advantage for its utility as a nutraceutical.
thanks for posting this... It'll be interesting to see how long they follow these subjects and make updates to their findings...

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SNS makes capped Agmantine....awesome. Another one I'll try in the future.

Reactions: mw1
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
SNS makes capped Agmantine....awesome. Another one I'll try in the future.
We sure do :D never go without it

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
For some reason I didn't know you guys made it capped. I'd love to try bulk powders but I don't have any flavoring.
Yeah I prefer our caps over powder as I don't take a pre-workout so I don't have anything to mix it with. Crystal lite works well though for decent flavouring

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ive always liked Agmatine ever since MAN BluePrint. I dont seem to respond as overwhelmingly positive to it as some do though, always helps take pumps up a notch though.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I prefer our caps over powder as I don't take a pre-workout so I don't have anything to mix it with. Crystal lite works well though for decent flavouring
Shotgun it, it'll wake ya right up :D

Are we sure genomyx agmatine actually contains agmatine?

I kid of course
Ayyyyye oooohhh, lol

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ive always liked Agmatine ever since MAN BluePrint. I dont seem to respond as overwhelmingly positive to it as some do though, always helps take pumps up a notch though.
MAN's Prometheus Rising was a heck of a formula too. 1g Agmatine and a lot of other power and recomp goodies