Is selenium a good and safe supplement?

STEELCITY

Awards
Been taking it for a month for metabolism purposes. But I've heard mixed reviews.

dbenj7

Awards
How much are you taking? Toxicity could be a concern depending how much you are taking and getting from your diet

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would not exceed 200mcg per day (not 200mg!)
This. Just be careful of other products you take that may have some. I know I've seen it randomly in other products, so if you take some of those plus a multi or specific Selenium product just be aware of total intake. :)

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

dbenj7

Awards
OP, if you're concerned could rather incorporate some brazil nuts into your diet rather than supplementation?

STEELCITY

Awards
IMO I would not bother to supplement with this:

Selenium, vitamin E supplements increase prostate cancer risk - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health Publications
Baseline Selenium Status and Effects of Selenium and Vitamin E Supplementation on Prostate Cancer Risk

Basically high levels of selenium in men increases your chance of prostate cancer. Supplementing selenium if you're deficient in it showed no real benefits. If you must use it, be sure to use a low dose.
I'm ready to flush it down the toilet after reading this. I just wanted it to help speed up the metabolism. With my ABE coming in this week that selenium can go bye-bye.

Vj63

Banned
Awards
I'm ready to flush it down the toilet after reading this. I just wanted it to help speed up the metabolism. With my ABE coming in this week that selenium can go bye-bye.
Yeah, a knee jerk reaction to one study is always the most prudent way to proceed.

sprintsss

Banned
Awards
in my opinion Selenium is essential and one of the best supplements to take.

Dr. Houser agrees with this as well

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, a knee jerk reaction to one study is always the most prudent way to proceed.
Did you read it? Why risk your health for very minute possible benefit?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OP, if you're concerned could rather incorporate some brazil nuts into your diet rather than supplementation?
Exactly. Should be better than supplementing.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Well that's a pretty large and well-conducted epedemiological study, with much more funding and scientific verification than your typical supplement study.

Plus, selenium doesn't speed up metabolism like OP wants anyway

Vj63

Banned
Awards
selenium doesn't speed up metabolism like OP wants anyway
Wouldn't an increase in conversion of T4 to T3 lead to a likely increase in metabolic rate?

Also OP, the recommendations to add brazil nuts is fine as long as you realize that it means no more than 1-2 nuts per day. Most people probably don't stop at that.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Wouldn't an increase in conversion of T4 to T3 lead to a likely increase in metabolic rate?

Also OP, the recommendations to add brazil nuts is fine as long as you realize that it means no more than 1-2 nuts per day. Most people probably don't stop at that.
It would. Is this effect observed in a non-deficient state? No, but the reverse is observed in a state of excess interestingly.

And yeah, I treat brazil nuts like a supplement. I add one to my morning pills and bam, done. Cheap and tasty

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 3
Supplements 0
Supplements 0
Ari Gold Product Reviews 0
Supplements 3