HOW DO YOU TREAT TENDONITIS TO LIFT AGAIN?

VanHolesink

Awards
Here's the scoop, Im 50 and have lifted on and off since I was 14. Im in the midst of my longest lay-off. about 4 years ago I picked up stakes and moved from Las Vegas back home to Michigan. I was tired of Vegas and needed a change of scenery. So about 3 months ago I started experiencing pain in my left elbow region. The pain persisted and was quite debilitating for the first 2 months. I have health insurance but it stinks, and I really cant afford to see a doctor especially for something like this, 12 visits later I would still be paying for it in 5 years. Just advising. I am now pain free, but need advise on how to proceed back into the iron game without aggravating the tendonitis. I am planning a slow and gradual start and will avoid reverse curls as it is the closest exercise that I can remember that used muscles directly in that area. I don't want to fall into not being able to lift again no, no, no! Any guidance or help in how to proceed and things to do and avoid and anything else would be VERY GREATLY APPRECIATED. I have free weights dumbbells, barbells, curl bar and a high low cable machine if it matters. Please Help!

Euch

Euch

Awards
If you're like me, avoid flat bb bench press like the plague. I'll back off that for a few weeks then try it again and as soon as I start pressing the heavy weight it comes right back. I've also had problems with low bar back squats which really sucks bc it's my favorite way to do them. My advice would to be work around it. I started benching with a close grip and started doing a high bar back squat and the pain went away within a few weeks. If something hurts you, don't do it. It hurts the ego a bit but you'll be thanking yourself later. A few supplements that I found beneficial were vitamin c, cissus and omega 3's. Good luck!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely agree with the post above, avoid low bar back squat like the plague. However, you should 100% absolutely positively DO reverse curls with light weight and high reps to get blood in the region and heal it.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
this is one of the reasons why cissus is a staple for me! I've not had an issue with tendonitis since keeping cissus as a staple...

Achilles by Antaeus Labs has been amazing

STEELCITY

Awards
Purchase this "Thera-Band by Flexbar"

My chiropractor has me using this for therapy right now. He swears by it. It looks weird but.......

you really feel this.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I got this very very early on in my lifting career. I knew nothing about lifting at the time so it was all ego and going heavy one day a week. My right elbow was so bad I would call out of work. Made me not want to lift anymore. I actually stopped all together. Two years later I started small and work on a foundation. I only lifted with 25lb db on every excersize for about 6 months. Now I'm pressing 265 for 6 and have had no issues. Bottom line is you have to baby those things to get them stronger. Let ego aside and to this for yourself.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
some things you might not have thought to try:
castor oil wraps nightly
ice applied multiple times after a work out
pre work out muscle rubs
DMSO

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tried hammer curls between sets the other day on bench day. Elbows felt fantastic and I didn't need liniment. In fact, I was able to work so much heavier than I have lately that I ended up straining my pec lol.