Trazodone and L Dopa Safe?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
My doctor was out today so I couldn't ask him, I take 500mg of L Dopa before bed and 250mg in the morning when I wake up. My sister and mom are both prescribed Trazodone and I was gonna try and see if it would help me sleep on nights before I have class because it's hard for me to get to sleep on time. Is it okay to mix these two together? I haven't been able to find anything on this. Also, do I need to take time off from L Dopa at all or do I need to be using 5-htp with it? I saw a couple places that people recommended this, but haven't found anything recent on it.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't take a medication that isn't prescribed for you. That's asking for problems. We're not talking about aspirin here.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Assuming I had a prescription would it be okay? Either way I am going to be trying it tonight, it's just if I will take my L Dopa with it or not.. I understand it's not just Aspirin and technically I shouldn't, but even if I was prescribed it there would be no way of me knowing if it affected me badly without me taking it. It would be hard to find someone who hasn't taken a drug not prescribed to them these days. I just got blood work done and am perfectly healthy, and no have drug allergies other than an antibiotic.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Also, I'm not trying to be or sound ignorant here. Sorry if it comes off that way.

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Assuming I had a prescription would it be okay? Either way I am going to be trying it tonight, it's just if I will take my L Dopa with it or not.. I understand it's not just Aspirin and technically I shouldn't, but even if I was prescribed it there would be no way of me knowing if it affected me badly without me taking it. It would be hard to find someone who hasn't taken a drug not prescribed to them these days. I just got blood work done and am perfectly healthy, and no have drug allergies other than an antibiotic.
So why start a thread if you are going to take it anyway?

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just because "everyone's doing it" doesn't make it a good idea. Contrary to "popular" belief..."Popular" meaning youngsters.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Please don't. Speak to your physician and go from there.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The main reason was just to see if anyone knew of the two were okay to take together, I read a few things on here where people suggest Trazodone for sleep and didn't have any concerns about it. I'll avoid the Trazadone for now, I don't like using prescription drugs or painkillers anyways. I don't like the idea of it being potentially addictive.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What do you guys think about 500mg L Dopa, 200mg 5-htp, Melatonin, and possibly Valerian Root. Are these all okay to take together? I have used them all individually before and was fine.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
A lot of people were really digging Abyss Unparalleled by Nimbus, but it seems to be out of stock in a few places so I'm not sure if it's still around. A lot of good discussion here http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/237155-your-best-sleep.html.

You're definitely going in a better direction by starting out with these options. Is your issue just getting to sleep or do you also have issues with the quality of sleep and waking during the night?

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It's always different, some nights I'll sleep fine, others I can't fall asleep and wake up every couple hours, and sometimes I will take a while to fall asleep but sleep perfectly through the night once I am asleep. Almost always though I find it really hard to wake up in the mornings, but this could just be because I have class or work. I am going to try 500mg L Dopa and 1-2.5 mg of Melatonin. I am not sure if I should take L Dopa and 5-htp together yet, the more I read it looks like they may be too much at the same time. Although one affects Dopamine and the other affects Seratonin, I'm really not sure yet.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
L-DOPA and 5-HTP are fine to take together. Just keep an eye on the amount you are taking and opt for lower the more things you add to your sleep stack. I would also take a look at what your sleep environment is and your routine to see if there might not be something there that is causing issues, if you haven't already done this.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A lot of people were really digging Abyss Unparalleled by Nimbus, but it seems to be out of stock in a few places so I'm not sure if it's still around. A lot of good discussion here http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/237155-your-best-sleep.html.

You're definitely going in a better direction by starting out with these options. Is your issue just getting to sleep or do you also have issues with the quality of sleep and waking during the night?
They're reformulating it. The new one should be out soon.

crgsander

Awards
Google "serotonin syndrome". You shouldn't mess with those types of scripts, while not under a doctors supervision.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Google "serotonin syndrome". You shouldn't mess with those types of scripts, while not under a doctors supervision.
^^^ This. Make sure to also avoid yohimbe and st john's wort as they can cause serotonin syndrome when combined with SSRIs/ SARIs

L-DOPA and 5-HTP are fine to take together. Just keep an eye on the amount you are taking and opt for lower the more things you add to your sleep stack. I would also take a look at what your sleep environment is and your routine to see if there might not be something there that is causing issues, if you haven't already done this.
Great advice from Aleksandar here. If you haven't, read up on the topic of sleep hygiene, it can be very beneficial. If that doesn't work, perhaps considering taking part in a sleep study.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'll look that up. I had no luck with 2.5mg Melatonin and 500mg L Dopa. Took them about 11:40, got in bed at 12:00. Fell asleep after probably 10 or 15 minutes, tossed and turned in that half sleep stage from probably 12:45 to 1:30 and finally got up and ate something and got a drink then fell asleep until I had to get up at 7:00. All I do in my room is change clothes, sleep, sometimes lay down on my phone during the day, and sex. Before bed I usually watch a couple episodes of a show in the living room in the pitch black, then I'll brush my teeth and go to bed, so I think my sleep habits are fine.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The light from electronics can also disrupt sleeping patterns

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The light from electronics can also disrupt sleeping patterns
Indeed, its a lot more disruptive than people think it is. Be sure to cut that out. Also direct stimulation before bed can keep you up. Try to do something like reading before bed (not on a lit up screen).

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great suggestions on practices before bed. A lot of this is just talking through stuff because there might be things that you don't even realize are causing a disturbance. Stress is also a huge one. From 2011 until almost into 2013, it was not odd for me to not be able to get to sleep until 4 AM and try to get by on 3-4 hours a night. If I was in my teens or 20s, that would be no issue, but in my 30s it sucks and was completely due to a stressful time.