High cholesterol&kidney levels+Osta

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
So I got my blood work back and cholesterol and kidneys values was extremely high?! Everything else was good or in normal range.

I'm on TRT but haven't been on a heavy cycle for awhile, the only thing I been on is Osta, can that be the one that made it bad?

I have a pretty clean diet and walk around around 12% bf so I'm not very fat and don't mess around with drugs or alcohol. I do use a lot of pre&post workout supplements that contains creatine and I workout 2x day most days so I do take a lot of supplements.

I live a pretty healthy lifestyle so it's a surprise to me that my values look like kidney failure and heart attack in the near future...?

I do have cheat day that I pig out but that can't make it that bad, right..?

If somebody can give me any help it would be great, thanks!

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
I'm 35, 6'1 and 225lb.

My Dr gave me some medicine for the cholesterol and I gonna do a month without any supplements besides multi, bcaa and protein powder and then we gonna re test.

wray98

wray98

Awards
Before you did your blood work did you train normally? Sometimes that can cause an issue with kidney function being elevated due to muscle breakdown... what type of cholesterol meds did he/she put you on?

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Before you did your blood work did you train normally? Sometimes that can cause an issue with kidney function being elevated due to muscle breakdown... what type of cholesterol meds did he/she put you on?
My cholesterol was 227 and my HDL was 23. My training and diet have been pretty much the same? The meds my Dr put me on is "Pravastatin" 10mg, every night for 1 month, retest after that.

wray98

wray98

Awards
When you go to retest stop training 3-4 days out from the test and see how your kidney levels test out at. I always had issues with the kidneys being elevated, spoke to my dr and he told me that the constant beating down of muscle is the issue to the higher test. Everyone is different but give it a shot. For the Cholesterol I take a time released Niacin that is prescribed. With using the Pravastain, be sure to start taking a good dose of Cq10 or Ubiquinol to keep he heart muscle function healthy. The statin eats up the natural levels of Cq10 in the heart.

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
When you go to retest stop training 3-4 days out from the test and see how your kidney levels test out at. I always had issues with the kidneys being elevated, spoke to my dr and he told me that the constant beating down of muscle is the issue to the higher test. Everyone is different but give it a shot. For the Cholesterol I take a time released Niacin that is prescribed. With using the Pravastain, be sure to start taking a good dose of Cq10 or Ubiquinol to keep he heart muscle function healthy. The statin eats up the natural levels of Cq10 in the heart.
Niacin was one of the meds my Dr was talking about but he said that it could have a side effect when you take it, do you feel anything? How much CQ10 would you recommend taking?

Thanks for your help, very good info!

wray98

wray98

Awards
The only side effect from the Niacin is feeling like you ingested 10gms of beta alanine if you take it on a light stomach. I usually take it with my last meal of the night so that I don't feel like I jumped in a bonfire. You experience more sides from the statin drugs due to higher muscle enzymes, loss of cq10 and studies have shown lower T levels.

I would take around 100-200mgs of Cq10. Ubiquinol is a better choice due to having to take less 50mgs-75mgs.

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
Niacin was one of the meds my Dr was talking about but he said that it could have a side effect when you take it, do you feel anything? How much CQ10 would you recommend taking?

Thanks for your help, very good info!
Try Slo-Niacin (not non-flush niacin ) i rarely get any tingling from it. And it works as well as regular niacin

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
I would take around 100-200mgs of Cq10. Ubiquinol is a better choice due to having to take less 50mgs-75mgs.
I ordered some Coq10 200mg, when should I dose it, morning fine?

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Anyone know if Osta could raise Cholesterol or kidney levels?

wray98

wray98

Awards
I take 1 softgel in the morning and 1 softgel in he evening.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone know if Osta could raise Cholesterol or kidney levels?
Osta raised my Total from 138 to 213. My recommendation is to NOT take the medication. Jeez, every freakin doctor prescribes using blood test numbers rather than talking about lifestyle or diet- quick fix! Osta also raised LDL and HDL by 30%. If you don't normally have high cholesterol then don't medicate.

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Osta raised my Total from 138 to 213. My recommendation is to NOT take the medication. Jeez, every freakin doctor prescribes using blood test numbers rather than talking about lifestyle or diet- quick fix! Osta also raised LDL and HDL by 30%. If you don't normally have high cholesterol then don't medicate.
Ok, interesting, thanks for that info! I normally don't have that high cholesterol and living a healthy lifestyle so it was a surprise to me.

I'm supposed to be on this med for a month and then test again, if it's normal I'm off the med. I'm changing my diet and I'm off all supps so it should drop fairly quick, I don't like to be on meds so I hope it works.

Thanks guys!

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Niacin is of no benefit to CAD as per recent recommendations and may even be detrimental. If your doctor is still suggesting it, you need to ditch him for one who actually follows recent medical literature

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
The only side effect from the Niacin is feeling like you ingested 10gms of beta alanine if you take it on a light stomach. I usually take it with my last meal of the night so that I don't feel like I jumped in a bonfire. You experience more sides from the statin drugs due to higher muscle enzymes, loss of cq10 and studies have shown lower T levels.

niacin actually has many more side effects including hepatotoxicity, hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia, etc...

blacklac

blacklac

Awards

That's odd.

"GTx-024 was well tolerated with an adverse event profile similar to placebo during 3 months of daily treatment. Compared to placebo, GTx-024 decreased total cholesterol, HDL, and triglycerides. These findings are consistent with previous reports that oral anabolic therapy influences serum lipid profiles [39, 40]; however, it is important to note that the average LDL/HDL ratio for all GTx-024 doses remained in the low cardiovascular risk category. Furthermore, the beneficial effects of GTx-024 on insulin sensitivity and triglycerides, known associations of hypogonadism with metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular risk [33–35], as well as the low cardiovascular risk observed in randomized clinical trials of testosterone supplementation [18], suggest that the overall cardiovascular risk/benefit ratio for GTx-024 is low."

Edit: That was with 1mg & 3mg doses, btw.

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
That's odd.

"GTx-024 was well tolerated with an adverse event profile similar to placebo during 3 months of daily treatment. Compared to placebo, GTx-024 decreased total cholesterol, HDL, and triglycerides. These findings are consistent with previous reports that oral anabolic therapy influences serum lipid profiles [39, 40]; however, it is important to note that the average LDL/HDL ratio for all GTx-024 doses remained in the low cardiovascular risk category. Furthermore, the beneficial effects of GTx-024 on insulin sensitivity and triglycerides, known associations of hypogonadism with metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular risk [33–35], as well as the low cardiovascular risk observed in randomized clinical trials of testosterone supplementation [18], suggest that the overall cardiovascular risk/benefit ratio for GTx-024 is low."

Edit: That was with 1mg & 3mg doses, btw.
So in small doses Osta should actually help with getting cholestrol lower?

bigmacdaddy18

bigmacdaddy18

Awards
Do what the doctor suggests and be sure to get your results so you can compare them. Cholesterol medication isn't only about HDL and LDL, it's about breeaking down the plaque that sticks to arterial walls and causes blockages. Also, genetics play a crucial role for men and heart disease. The gene comes from your mother so check her heart history. Lastly, watch your sodium intake. You might be surprised how many mgs you eat per day and that can wreak havoc on levels.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Do what the doctor suggests and be sure to get your results so you can compare them. Cholesterol medication isn't only about HDL and LDL, it's about breeaking down the plaque that sticks to arterial walls and causes blockages. Also, genetics play a crucial role for men and heart disease. The gene comes from your mother so check her heart history. Lastly, watch your sodium intake. You might be surprised how many mgs you eat per day and that can wreak havoc on levels.
Dude wtf. There is no gene "from your mother" that causes heart disease.

Sodium increases BP, not cholesterol.

bigmacdaddy18

bigmacdaddy18

Awards
Been told by numerous heart doctors that cholesterol forms plague that can sit on arterial walls. As that wall thins and restricts blood flow it causes a rise in blood pressure. About the mother gene, thought it was weird myself but after two heart attacks, 2012 and 2013, and going for a stress test at Yale on 11.19.14, I have asked about the gene theory and doctors have told me that genetics and family history play a huge role in ones chance of getting arterial disease and a mans chance comes from the mothers history. Not a doctor, just a patient. Crazy.

martymcfly18

martymcfly18

Awards
New user - wouldn't let me post the link. You should be able to find the abstract by searching PubMed for the title.

=======
Effects of creatine supplementation on renal function.
Yoshizumi WM1, Tsourounis C.

Abstract
Creatine is a popular supplement used by athletes in an effort to increase muscle performance. The purpose of this review was to assess the literature evaluating the effects of creatine supplementation on renal function. A PubMed search was conducted to identify relevant articles using the keywords, creatine, supplementation, supplements, renal dysfunction, ergogenic aid and renal function. Twelve pertinent articles and case reports were identified. According to the existing literature, creatine supplementation appears safe when used by healthy adults at the recommended loading (20 gm/day for five days) and maintenance doses (</=3 gm/day). In people with a history of renal disease or those taking nephrotoxic medications, creatine may be associated with an increased risk of renal dysfunction. One case report of acute renal failure was reported in a 20-year-old man taking 20 gm/day of creatine for a period of four weeks. There are few trials investigating the long-term use of creatine supplementation in doses exceeding 10 gm/day. Furthermore, the safety of creatine in children and adolescents has not been established. Since creatine supplementation may increase creatinine levels, it may act as a false indicator of renal dysfunction. Future studies should include renal function markers other than serum creatinine and creatinine clearance.
=======

You should find out what test your doctor did to check your kidney function; if he was using serum creatinine or creatinine clearance, consider stopping the creatine for two weeks before your next check to make sure your kidney function doesn't appear falsely compromised.

Last edited:

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Been told by numerous heart doctors that cholesterol forms plague that can sit on arterial walls. As that wall thins and restricts blood flow it causes a rise in blood pressure. About the mother gene, thought it was weird myself but after two heart attacks, 2012 and 2013, and going for a stress test at Yale on 11.19.14, I have asked about the gene theory and doctors have told me that genetics and family history play a huge role in ones chance of getting arterial disease and a mans chance comes from the mothers history. Not a doctor, just a patient. Crazy.
Yes, I know how atherosclerosis works, but hypertension causes shear stress that cause atherosclerosis due to endothelial damage (aka you have it all backwards).

The mother gene is BS, I promise. You may have familial hypercholesterolemia, but that's autosomal dominant, not X-linked

bigmacdaddy18

bigmacdaddy18

Awards
Sounds correct, like I said I am not a doctor and started to learn after the first MI on 7.12.12.
Don't drink, don't smoke, do 45-60 of cardio everyday and eat cleaner than clean. Have gone from 250 in 2012 to 210 right now.
When I go for check-ups they usually look at the blood work which is excellent and ask, "What is your mother's cardio-vascular history."
Thanks for the info, funny how we learn things we never thought were important years ago.
Also found out that one of the only fruits/vegetables that actually reduce plaque build up and strengthen arterial walls, non-drug of course, is 100% pomegranate juice which I now make and drink daily, dosage is 2-4oz.
Again, thanks for the info brother, off to train back and cardio.

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
First of all, thanks to all of your helpful info. After cleaning up my diet and taking out some supps my cholestrol and liver values are under control, but my kidneys are still high?! I didn't have any creatine or any pre workouts for that matter for 4 weeks before my last test and it still came back high, wtf?!

I'm seeing my Dr tomorrow again to we see what gonna happen next... =(

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
New user - wouldn't let me post the link. You should be able to find the abstract by searching PubMed for the title.

=======
Effects of creatine supplementation on renal function.
Yoshizumi WM1, Tsourounis C.

Abstract
Creatine is a popular supplement used by athletes in an effort to increase muscle performance. The purpose of this review was to assess the literature evaluating the effects of creatine supplementation on renal function. A PubMed search was conducted to identify relevant articles using the keywords, creatine, supplementation, supplements, renal dysfunction, ergogenic aid and renal function. Twelve pertinent articles and case reports were identified. According to the existing literature, creatine supplementation appears safe when used by healthy adults at the recommended loading (20 gm/day for five days) and maintenance doses (</=3 gm/day). In people with a history of renal disease or those taking nephrotoxic medications, creatine may be associated with an increased risk of renal dysfunction. One case report of acute renal failure was reported in a 20-year-old man taking 20 gm/day of creatine for a period of four weeks. There are few trials investigating the long-term use of creatine supplementation in doses exceeding 10 gm/day. Furthermore, the safety of creatine in children and adolescents has not been established. Since creatine supplementation may increase creatinine levels, it may act as a false indicator of renal dysfunction. Future studies should include renal function markers other than serum creatinine and creatinine clearance.
=======

You should find out what test your doctor did to check your kidney function; if he was using serum creatinine or creatinine clearance, consider stopping the creatine for two weeks before your next check to make sure your kidney function doesn't appear falsely compromised.
I stopped and it still came back high... Is there anything else to take for kidney health?

martymcfly18

martymcfly18

Awards
It really depends on the underlying cause of the elevated blood test. If it is only slightly elevated, it could be due to intense exercise and/or high protein diet. If it is significantly elevated, I expect your doctor will want to dig a little deeper to find out what is causing it. Do you have normal blood pressure?

Himalaya (the Liv.52 company) does make a kidney health product called UriCare, if you are interested. Good luck!

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
It really depends on the underlying cause of the elevated blood test. If it is only slightly elevated, it could be due to intense exercise and/or high protein diet. If it is significantly elevated, I expect your doctor will want to dig a little deeper to find out what is causing it. Do you have normal blood pressure?

Himalaya (the Liv.52 company) does make a kidney health product called UriCare, if you are interested. Good luck!
I was in a very hard training schedule and protein amount was hight but bp was low normal.

We did another blood test today and urine test.

Thanks for your help

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
So after some diet changes my cholestrol is under control :)
I didn't really think of it before because I though I ate "healthy", which I kind of did but some of my meals was why too high in cholestrol! My protien powder, for an example, I used at the moment had 90mg of cholestrol in every shake, wtf?! Doing 2-3 shakes a day it adds up! I switched to another brand fast!

Kidney levels is still a mystery, it's still kinda high but I'm a fairly big guy with a good amount of muscles that's overtraining too much and that could have something to do with it according to my Dr.

Thanks guys for all the info and help, it's looks like I'm ok for now ;)

martymcfly18

martymcfly18

Awards
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear everything is ok.