Masking BCAA taste w/o Artificial Sweeteners

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Trying to get away from Splenda/Sucralose.

Stevia just doesn't cut it for me when added to these BCAAS.

Xylitol was a FAIL too.

Other ideas?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Lemon juice maybe

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Following this as I'm trying to eliminate the artificial sweeteners as well.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Gatorade? I use dextrose intelligently, not overwhelmingly
agree with you on all the xylitol/maltitol etc sugar alcohols, those things suck for the gut, for me

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
You could try out these flavor packs from True Nutrition: http://truenutrition.com/p-6721-true-lemon-natural-drink-mix-10-stick-packs.aspx?

They are sweetened with natural ingredients like lemon juice and stevia.

Just mix them in some water with some instantized BCAAs: http://truenutrition.com/p-1118-bcaas-branched-chain-amino-acids-instantized-500-grams.aspx?

Or here is a pre-mixed BCAA product: http://truenutrition.com/p-1118-bcaas-branched-chain-amino-acids-instantized-500-grams.aspx?

Choose the natural lemon ice or natural sour apple for the natural sweetener.

The other thing I'll do is mix my BCAAs with my naturally flavored highly branched cyclic dextrins (also from True Nutrition), some sea salt, and potassium chloride. This masks the flavor really well.

Akagami

Awards
Could be expensive but add some Citrulline.

I started doing this when I take leucine because I noticed the leucine actually mixes then! The tart flavor also helps cover up the bitterness of leucine, a bit.

dbenj7

Awards
If you like sour tasting stuff I mixed it with some lemon juice from the supermarket. Depends if you're ok with sugar or not. Actually tasted pretty good. Gatorade powder as mentioned above is another decent idea

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Raspberry ice or lemonade flavored crystal light works great imo

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
I do not consume artificial sweeteners. But you're right that stevia sucks. Just be a boss and take it in pure water. That's what I do. You get accustomed to it after some time

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
organic lemon juice...but then again i dont' mind stevia or extreme flavors powder mix either

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Add in lemon juice, lime juice and orange juice. Tis gooood

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
What's everyone's beef with stevia? I don't mind it at all.

What kind are you guys using that you don't like, the powder or the liquid?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
What's everyone's beef with stevia? I don't mind it at all.

What kind are you guys using that you don't like, the powder or the liquid?
I have no beef, but I prefer masking bulk flavours with other flavours. + Freshly squeezed lime, lemon and orange juice is amazing

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
I have no beef, but I prefer masking bulk flavours with other flavours. + Freshly squeezed lime, lemon and orange juice is amazing
Yeah I'm with you on the citrus juices. Some people think it sounds disgusting, but when I go out and drink, I just do vodka, water, and fresh lemon/lime juice and it tastes pretty damn good. Can barely even taste the vodka.

On the note of stevia though, I've just noticed a lot of people say they don't like it, and I never understood why. To me, it's just like sugar but without any calories and way sweeter so you don't have to use as much.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I'm with you on the citrus juices. Some people think it sounds disgusting, but when I go out and drink, I just do vodka, water, and fresh lemon/lime juice and it tastes pretty damn good. Can barely even taste the vodka.

On the note of stevia though, I've just noticed a lot of people say they don't like it, and I never understood why. To me, it's just like sugar but without any calories and way sweeter so you don't have to use as much.
Yeah im not overly sure why either :D

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I'm not big on the whole "sweetening" thing, rarely use anything to "mask" any taste..i chug sh1t like a champ :D
when I consume simple sugars, it is with intention of doing so, for specific purposes..
that said - the citrus juices as natural flavoring is a fantastic idea, I don't see a better option really
as for stevia - again not much need I have for such a thing, but I've tried it, and it does taste a bit different than sugar does
perhaps goes back to our individual differences, likes & dislikes...taste buds and all that jazz

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i find it easy to just slam bcaa's without flavoring but if your a person who carry's a gallon of bcaa's around with you then flavoring may be important......the foam is worse than the liquid imo anyway

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
What's everyone's beef with stevia? I don't mind it at all. What kind are you guys using that you don't like, the powder or the liquid?
Liquid and powder. Always ends up a bitter sweet mess

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
For masking, like some have said already. Lemon, lime and I've used pineapple juice a few times.