Protien powder per Lb

warrior737

Awards
What is the cheapest cost per lb you can find quality protein for? Either online or local to you and what brand? For me, it always seems to work out to around 9-10$ per lb. of any quality protein at the lowest. It seems hard to find anything below that especially local to me.

Tagger

Tagger

Awards
What is the cheapest cost per lb you can find quality protein for? Either online or local to you and what brand? For me, it always seems to work out to around 9-10$ per lb. of any quality protein at the lowest. It seems hard to find anything below that especially local to me.
Chicken, BEEF, Steak...

More bang for your buck.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just remember the saying "you get what you pay for"

With all the recent revelations of the protein spiking and the protein not meeting label claims, I would be skeptical over protein thats too cheap.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Musclefeast If you catch as sale, which the very often have, you can get WPI for just a touch over $10 a pound or a 50/50 WPI/WPC blend for around $8.50/pound. Very clean, quality proteins. No fillers or extra garbage and naturally sweetened.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

With all the recent revelations of the protein spiking and the protein not meeting label claims, I would be skeptical over protein thats too cheap.
This.....

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Keeping in mind amino spiking as josh said I've seen Usplabs oxyelite protein for under $18 for the 2lb and that is a phenomenal protein in both taste and quality

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Keeping in mind amino spiking as josh said I've seen Usplabs oxyelite protein for under $18 for the 2lb and that is a phenomenal protein in both taste and quality
Correct
mamy companies use low grade fillers or spike their protein and the label content is not off unless you see a 3rd party test to back the product and its label claims. Some companies have been found guilty of it more than once in the past which means it may be an unloyal brand to its consumers which is not a very "ethical" thing to do. Just be cautious because the prices of raw materials over the last few years have risen significantly, and if you get a powder for a very low cost it could be off as far as protein intake goes and be much higher in fats/carbs than you think.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Supplement quality issues have nothing to do with price point of the brands.

Plenty of expensive brands have had issues, plenty of cheap brands have had issues.

I honestly make no presumption of quality whatsoever within market feasible price ranges for products.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I found some quality concentrate for around $6.14 per pound. That's not the regular price though, that's a sale price. Still though, look around and you can find some quality protein for a great price.

Bryancap77

Bryancap77

Awards
  • Established
I picked up pes select 55 at like 45$, that was a pretty good price

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
What's the deal with Oxyelite? Why is it continuously on sale for $18-20?

I love the Strawberry Cheesecake.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's the deal with Oxyelite? Why is it continuously on sale for $18-20? I love the Strawberry Cheesecake.
I think they're changing the profile and going to re-release it.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Go to Costco and pick up the 6 lb bag for like 44 bucks

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My bad I didn't give a brand lol. They have Cytosport concentrate and Muscle Milk. If it's a little calorie dense for you build it into your total count.

warrior737

Awards
Chicken, BEEF, Steak...

More bang for your buck.
I love REAL FOOD. But sometimes cooking is unrealistic when my sons hanging off my hip or im on the go. I try and prep my meals ahead during the work week but usually end up over eating. bahaha.

warrior737

Awards
My bad I didn't give a brand lol. They have Cytosport concentrate and Muscle Milk. If it's a little calorie dense for you build it into your total count.
I use to do this. but my membership expired. I loved the MM german chocolate cake. I believe it was about $44 like you said.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I think they're changing the profile and going to re-release it.
I think so too
heard some comments about changes being made but not 100% positive
either way it will be great. and hopefully new flavors!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Musclefeast If you catch as sale, which the very often have, you can get WPI for just a touch over $10 a pound or a 50/50 WPI/WPC blend for around $8.50/pound. Very clean, quality proteins. No fillers or extra garbage and naturally sweetened.
Just started using these guys^^^. Sign up on their FB group (by request) and get another 10%.

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
SAN Titanium Whey Concentrate is pretty damn cheap and cost effective and has been tested/confirmed to not use fillers.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
of any quality protein
the problem as has already been mentioned is how can you tell a protein is quality?

hence the chicken beef steak answer. One thing I was looking at and considering which is a bit "unusual" was once a week making my own powdered eggs. Pretty much you scramble the eggs till they are thoroughly cooked, then put them in a food dehydrator. Once they are dehydrated thoroughly grind or crush it in a mortar and pestle and you have your own powder you can add to whatever, and you know exactly whats in it. Was pondering trying the same with chicken breasts

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Experience, reviews online reputation, COA available on products.
This. You live and you learn. I've made terrible decisions that I thought was good at the time until doing some research. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the problem as has already been mentioned is how can you tell a protein is quality?

hence the chicken beef steak answer. One thing I was looking at and considering which is a bit "unusual" was once a week making my own powdered eggs. Pretty much you scramble the eggs till they are thoroughly cooked, then put them in a food dehydrator. Once they are dehydrated thoroughly grind or crush it in a mortar and pestle and you have your own powder you can add to whatever, and you know exactly whats in it. Was pondering trying the same with chicken breasts
holy sheet look who it is! Where you been at brotha?

xhrr

Awards
Experience and reviews aren't going to validate a quality protein powder. A coa will however telling you exactly what is in it. Do you think anybody would know the difference if they're consuming a protein that claims 24 grams of whey concentrate but actually contains 22. Just an example but that kind of minuscule difference is not going to show up through experience or reviews. They might tell you it taste good but that's about it.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
They might tell you it taste good but that's about it.
Seems to be what 90% of the consumers on the forums or online care about
if it tastes good must be a good product bro :)

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Experience and reviews aren't going to validate a quality protein powder. A coa will however telling you exactly what is in it. Do you think anybody would know the difference if they're consuming a protein that claims 24 grams of whey concentrate but actually contains 22. Just an example but that kind of minuscule difference is not going to show up through experience or reviews. They might tell you it taste good but that's about it.
Experience and reviews can tell one which companies have shown a COA, at least in my experience.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Experience and reviews can tell one which companies have shown a COA, at least in my experience.

True and their is something to be said about having used enough bad quality and great quality proteins. A lot of times you can tell a difference in texture of either the mixed product or the powder itself. Plus you have to have the experience to know how to read labels correctly and interpret those labels. Sure a regular Joe is not gonna even understand the label, probably won't read much past the protein content or calories either. However, people that know better research the ingredients listed, and watch for things that shouldn't be listed or that you don't want in your protein like Glycine or Creamer.

xhrr

Awards
That makes no sense. A COA is a COA you don't need an exp or review to tell you if a company has shown a COA they just do it. A review tells you taste, mixability, texture, etc thats it.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
True and their is something to be said about having used enough bad quality and great quality proteins. A lot of times you can tell a difference in texture of either the mixed product or the powder itself.. However, people that know better research the ingredients listed, and watch for things that shouldn't be listed or that you don't want in your protein like Glycine or Creamer.

This.... it may come out a bit more "Chalky"

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That makes no sense. A COA is a COA you don't need an exp or review to tell you if a company has shown a COA they just do it. A review tells you taste, mixability, texture, etc thats it.
Experience on a forum, searching, can bring you to a COA that was posted in the past.

Rebel1978

Awards
  • Established
Only brand I've been using for probably 2 years.

genthoseffect

genthoseffect

Awards
You get what you pay for brother. I use exclusively whey isolate by Ironclad Nutrition. I used to live near their headquarters, and had the opportunity to thoroughly check out their products first hand. High quality schtuff

Nitro41

Nitro41

Awards
  • Established
Sams had a smokin deal on Muscletech protein. 5lb bag for 28bucks. Has 2.5g of creatine perserving too. I vought 4 bags, and it tastes pretty good. Cookies n cream is awesome.

I trust Muscletech. I used their Nitrotech protein, and got excellent results from it, but it is more costly. Amazons got the best deal on the nitrotech Ive seen

ddfox

ddfox

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sams had a smokin deal on Muscletech protein. 5lb bag for 28bucks. Has 2.5g of creatine perserving too. I vought 4 bags, and it tastes pretty good. Cookies n cream is awesome. I trust Muscletech. I used their Nitrotech protein, and got excellent results from it, but it is more costly. Amazons got the best deal on the nitrotech Ive seen

FYI... Nitro tech has added glycine, taurine, & alanine.

Nitro41

Nitro41

Awards
  • Established
And digestive enzymes. That stuffs the bomb if you can swing the cash for it.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
added glycine taurine and alanine are not good things...
now let me specify... They are not bad but you are getting charged protein price for these cheap amino fillers... For example if a WPC/WPI blend averages $10/lb they are adding these aminos which cost a fraction of that but charging you the same $10/lb for the mixture...

Nitro41

Nitro41

Awards
  • Established
Ahh so thats how they brag about 30g per scoop and its same size as their 20g cheaper protein

warrior737

Awards
A lot of my friend swear by intek evolution cookies and crème. But that **** is expensive. I actually picked up some muscle milk chocolate this weekend. Guess what? it was $20 for 2Lbs. hahaha

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
holy sheet look who it is! Where you been at brotha?
I seem to have faced a string of injuries keeping me out of the gym, so I haven't been active here either. latest was breaking my leg at the ankle and tearing a tendon or ligament, needed surgery, screws, all sorts of fun. Just starting to walk again now, finally be back to the gym sometime soon.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
even with COAs, half the time the COA is from an older batch and you have no idea whats changed since. Or the COA is from the Chinese manufacturer who they are bulk buying the whey from, so its meaningless.

Sure its probably something of an indicator, but really the only way to know for sure what protein you are getting is to stick with natural local milk, chicken, beef, etc.

For me for protein powder since its supplemental for quick digestion when I'm in a rush, I really don't care about quality, as i'm ALWAYS getting enough daily protein in from solid food source. So I either buy what is cheapest, or what I really like the taste of

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
even with COAs, half the time the COA is from an older batch and you have no idea whats changed since. Or the COA is from the Chinese manufacturer who they are bulk buying the whey from, so its meaningless.
That is not always true, Unless they change the formula of the product then the out of date COA would be meaningless

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
And digestive enzymes. That stuffs the bomb if you can swing the cash for it.
The added creatine, taurine, glycine etc. Is used to skew nitrogen testing results and bump up the protein content without actually providing more protein. So it may have listed 24g of protein per scoop but it could be as low as 18g of actusl protein.

bananaClip

bananaClip

Awards
  • Established
proteinfactory... been buying from them since 04. great selection of top quality and exotic proteins
they dont have much of a flavoring system so i do buy protein blends.
right now i have some pes select and ultra peptide 2.0 both taste really good

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know. I just use a little bit of common sense when choosing a protein. I'm not gonna throw a fit if it's absolutely not perfect or think their is some sort of conspiracy with COAs from older batches or from a Chinese manufacturer. The majority of the time I'm just eating solid food anyway. Life is too short to be wasting time on minute details of protein powder quality. So maybe sometimes the protein is gonna be 5 or 6 less grams than what is on the label...I mean hell- how am I gonna sleep at night knowing that?. I mean really if you're really that worried about something like that, might as well take you out back and put you down like a lame horse.