HICA Pre or Post?

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Hey guys,
so I have been reading a bit into HICA and amino acids in general and was wondering if the best time to take it would be post workout with an amino product to stimulate MPS the most?

I am not really looking about the usefulness of aminos pre/post fasted or not just whether the timing of hica matters most in terms of MPS

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Pre

It is more reknown to be an anti-catabolic

For an MPS spike post workout I would just get a shake or meal with a good dose of leucine

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Pre

It is more reknown to be an anti-catabolic

For an MPS spike post workout I would just get a shake or meal with a good dose of leucine
anti-catabolic in the sense of HMB? I just got a bag of bulk HICA and am wondering how to play with it in regards to my stack. I was under the assumption that because of it being a leucine metabolite that it would help.

Currently pre i have eaa+bcaa (peptopro or hydrolized whey), and post I have 8g BCAA 2:1:1 + whey shake or food

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
anti-catabolic in the sense of HMB? I just got a bag of bulk HICA and am wondering how to play with it in regards to my stack. I was under the assumption that because of it being a leucine metabolite that it would help. Currently pre i have eaa+bcaa (peptopro or hydrolized whey), and post I have 8g BCAA 2:1:1 + whey shake or food
Similar to HMB from my understanding.
I would dose it pre, that seems to be the recommendation for any HICA containing product.

I think it would be totally masked with that post-workout, MPS is already hitting threshold.

Where it really shines is fasted

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I don't think it matters much to split hairs over, I think it will make the biggest impact depending on what your pre/post workout nutrition looks like. If you train on a lighter stomach have it pre, otherwise take it intra or post workout.

The study on soccer players which showed a rather anticatabolic (and even anabolic) effect dosed it throughout the day and on off days, so I would say it doesn't matter so much within the grand scheme of things.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
I don't think it matters much to split hairs over, I think it will make the biggest impact depending on what your pre/post workout nutrition looks like. If you train on a lighter stomach have it pre, otherwise take it intra or post workout.

The study on soccer players which showed a rather anticatabolic (and even anabolic) effect dosed it throughout the day and on off days, so I would say it doesn't matter so much within the grand scheme of things.
Typically 1hr pre I have 500cals, typically around 50g carb and 30protein then right before a workout I either do 6g 2:1:1 bcaa or some hydrolized protein+small EAA/BCAA and post I would replace my whey with hica and rather cook with the protein for dinner (late night pancakes or something)

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Typically 1hr pre I have 500cals, typically around 50g carb and 30protein then right before a workout I either do 6g 2:1:1 bcaa or some hydrolized protein+small EAA/BCAA and post I would replace my whey with hica and rather cook with the protein for dinner (late night pancakes or something)
Id move those BCAAs intra workout and dose the HICA there as well, then keep a feeding of protein post workout. You could use any type of quality protein source at this time since you've had proper nutrition leading to that point. I usually have potatoes and meat post workout.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Only reason I have the bcaa's post is because I work for 6hours following as a gym staff, can't eat and am moving weights / spotting / standing from 7pm to 1am. Then when I get home I eat dinner then sleep.

I have played around with sipping on bcaa's during work in my shaker would that work better? I'm just a bit confused as I've just really started playing with meal timing and so far I do see a lot better results

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Id move those BCAAs intra workout and dose the HICA there as well, then keep a feeding of protein post workout. You could use any type of quality protein source at this time since you've had proper nutrition leading to that point. I usually have potatoes and meat post workout.
Correct

^^ Also remember HICA is a leucine activator, so it could aid for pre-workout BCAA dosing for fasted training, and be great between meals spaced 4-6 hours apart with BCAA's. Overall it is a great supp and has been seen to be beneficial in multiple situations based off how the individual sets up their supp stack and nutrition.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Id split it throughout the day, much like was done in the HMB-FA study.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Thanks guys. Right now I am planning on doing 1.5g intra w/ the bcaa's for a week to see how it affects me then I will play around with 500mg 3x daily or 1g pre .5g post
Main goal is to reduce doms so I can push myself harder and get an extra rep or two squeezed out for my plus sets

Nyrin

Awards
I'm curious to hear about this bulk HICA you found; I thought that patents and royalties made such a thing challenging!

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
I'm curious to hear about this bulk HICA you found; I thought that patents and royalties made such a thing challenging!
the perks of working in a university laboratory doing exercise science research and biochemistry labs

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks guys. Right now I am planning on doing 1.5g intra w/ the bcaa's for a week to see how it affects me then I will play around with 500mg 3x daily or 1g pre .5g post
Main goal is to reduce doms so I can push myself harder and get an extra rep or two squeezed out for my plus sets
I take it mostly intra-workout with HBCD works like a charm on recovery.

Lexonis

Lexonis

Awards
Hey guys,
so I have been reading a bit into HICA and amino acids in general and was wondering if the best time to take it would be post workout with an amino product to stimulate MPS the most?

I am not really looking about the usefulness of aminos pre/post fasted or not just whether the timing of hica matters most in terms of MPS
Try 1 gram pre and another 1 gram post. It eliminated my DOMS up to 80% for me its a hidden gem.

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Only reason i use it is because i do not pay for it. If i had to pay for HBCD i would not.. too expensive.
Lol this is why I use dextrose or malto. I've tried vitargo and HBCD, I didnt feel the difference was really worth it until I was taking 75+g carb intra.