anti hair loss shampoos

R

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
anyone suggestions on a good one and where it can be purchased?

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The OTC shampoo called "Nizoral" has an ingredient known as ketoconazole which is a topical anti-androgen.
If i recall correctly it has some research supporting its use as an anti-hairloss product, and it gets a wealth of positive feedback from what I see.

S

Shin Sprints

Awards
If using Nizoral don't use this as your daily shampoo...2-3 times a week is all it should be used for.

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
If using Nizoral don't use this as your daily shampoo...2-3 times a week is all it should be used for.
It can be used daily as long as you use a high-end conditioner after each application. I mix 2% ketoconazole + 3% salicyclic acid (T/Sal neutrogena) in my hand and apply, followed by conditioner a little later

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
The OTC shampoo called "Nizoral" has an ingredient known as ketoconazole which is a topical anti-androgen.
If i recall correctly it has some research supporting its use as an anti-hairloss product, and it gets a wealth of positive feedback from what I see.
Nizoral gets my vote

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Every other day for me. Just one application on the days I use it. I shampoo with it first, massage it in real nice, leave it in whilst I wash everything else, then wash my face and rinse it off along with rinsing my face, apply conditioner and massage that in for a bit, rinse and done.

huxley309

huxley309

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if you guys can get it, but alpecin is very popular over here.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
N2 shampoo is good

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
N2 shampoo is good
^^^I second this. I have been using N2 shampoo for close to a year now. It has completely stop hair shedding and added thickness. It will not make you re-grow new, but allows you to keep what you have.

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
Did they discontinue n2 shampoo i feel like its been sold out for the last 2 years.
Anyways regenepure dr is a good choice for a keto shampoo that wont fry ur hair.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Did they discontinue n2 shampoo i feel like its been sold out for the last 2 years.
Anyways regenepure dr is a good choice for a keto shampoo that wont fry ur hair.
I'm not really sure if N2 shampoo has been discontinued or not. I still have like ten bottles of it. I seems to last forever and I use it everyday.

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I used n2 shampoo for a whole bottle, which is saying a lot because it lasted over 6 months. Smells great and is a great overall shampoo that I'd use regularly just for hair health, but it seems to have zero effect on hair loss or gain. Rather, it just moistens and thickens it up from a perception standpoint

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I used n2 shampoo for a whole bottle, which is saying a lot because it lasted over 6 months. Smells great and is a great overall shampoo that I'd use regularly just for hair health, but it seems to have zero effect on hair loss or gain. Rather, it just moistens and thickens it up from a perception standpoint
My experience:

Before I started the N2 shampoo, I was seeing hair on my pillows and hair falling out in the shower on a daily basis. I have had zero hair shedding since after the first months use of the shampoo. I am happy with it hence why I stocked up on the product.

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My experience:

Before I started the N2 shampoo, I was seeing hair on my pillows and hair falling out in the shower on a daily basis. I have had zero hair shedding since after the first months use of the shampoo. I am happy with it hence why I stocked up on the product.
Did you just have bad conditioning with your hair? Shedding could be due to the hair actually falling out from the roots OR it could be just a lot of hair breakage due to improper care.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Did you just have bad conditioning with your hair? Shedding could be due to the hair actually falling out from the roots OR it could be just a lot of hair breakage due to improper care.
That is true, but not in my case.
It wasnt hair breakage, it was full hair stans down to the root. I have always had good hair hygiene as it is important to me.

K

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That is true, but not in my case.
It wasnt hair breakage, it was full hair stans down to the root. I have always had good hair hygiene as it is important to me.
Gotcha.

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
My experience:

tough to draw cause and effect. Why? Hairs that are due to follow out undergo biomolecular changes 3-6 months prior to when they fall. So if n2 shampoo starts working, you shouldn't notice effects this profound until 12 weeks minimum, as with any​ hair loss treatment

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
tough to draw cause and effect. Why? Hairs that are due to follow out undergo biomolecular changes 3-6 months prior to when they fall. So if n2 shampoo starts working, you shouldn't notice effects this profound until 12 weeks minimum, as with any hair loss treatment
Maybe so Coop, but it has worked for me so I continue to use it.

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Maybe so Coop, but it has worked for me so I continue to use it.
That's fair, all I'm saying is to consider any other lifestyle changes you made in the months prior and continue those as well

A

Austin118

Awards
  • Established
Revivogen bro! I lost all my hair on my scalp due to alopecia and had high DHT! Grew my hair back it's legit! Although my hair isn't as thick as it once was, I credit this shampoo for saving my hair! There's also alpecin which is a German shampoo not sure if it's available in the states but try and get that it's meant to fight hair loss

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Here some posts I made about Ketoconazole shampoo in another forum that I'm copying here (Keto is the active ingredient in Nizoral):

Here's a collection of all the Nizoral studies I could find. Figured this would be good to have in one place:

1%:

Reduces shedding and makes hair thicker:

Nudging hair shedding by antidandruff shamp... [Int J Cosmet Sci. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

Effetti di uno shampoo al ketoconazolo sulla calvizie androgenetica

2%:

Almost as effective as 2% minox:

Ketoconazole shampoo: effect of long-term use in... [Dermatology. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI

(Niz + Propecia more effective than Propecia alone):

Comparative efficacy of various treatment regimen... [J Dermatol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

21 month study with graph (best results seen from months 6-15):

2% Nizoral Shampoo Increases Hair Growth in Men with Male Pattern Baldness

Small Japanese 2% cream study with before/after photos of two subjects:

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-25116-page-0-category-0-order-last_answer.html

Scientists shaved mice repeatedly and applied either ketoconazole or a vehicle solution to their skin and the mice who received ketoconazole repeatedly demonstrated "a macroscopically significant stimulatory effect". In other words their hair grew like crazy.

Topical application of ketoconazole stimulates ha... [J Dermatol. 2005] - PubMed - NCBI

Others:

Ketocazole as an adjunct to finasteride in th... [Med Hypotheses. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

Oral ketoconazole is such a potent anti-androgen its basically castration in a bottle:

Effect of ketoconazole and other imidazole fungicides on testosterone biosynthesis

Low-dose ketoconazole treatment in hirsu... [J Endocrinol Invest. 1990] - PubMed - NCBI

[Efficacy of low dose ketoconazole th... [Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

[The effect of nizoral on the function of the hyp... [Lik Sprava. 1992] - PubMed - NCBI

It doesn't get absorbed enough from topical application to do any of that though:

Clinical pharmacokinetics of ketoconazole. [Clin Pharmacokinet. 1988] - PubMed - NCBI

and yet another early study on topical keto (det I can't find right now) showed that serum levels of ketoconazole were virtually undetectable even when they used large doses

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
moar nizo/keto info so we can have it all in one place:

Sebizole by Douglas Pharmaceuticals is a cheaper ketoconazole shampoo than Nizoral. this Douglas Pharmaceuticals is about as legit as it gets...had sales of $145 mill last year and makes all kind of prescription drugs. They're the biggest pharma company in New Zealand which isn't exactly a backwards country (per capita income $28,850). The guy who started it was even knighted:

From community chemist to manufacturer | Stuff.co.nz

They were recently approved to sell prescription drugs in U.S. by the FDA:

Douglas Pharmaceutical gets US approval for acne medication | The National Business Review

Douglas Pharmaceuticals Appoints Deutsche Bank for Possible Sale - Deal Journal Australia - WSJ

The U.S. consumes half the world's prescription drugs (srsly) so everyone wants to get in on this market but companies have a hard time doing so apparently because regulation is strict here.

If you buy from this website 3 bottles comes to $63 for 600 ml of 2% ketoconazole shampoo including shipping (free over $50):

Sebizole Shampoo 2% (200ml) | Dandruff Treatment | Dry Itchy Scalp | Anti-dandruff Cream | Hair & Scalp Care | Best Price Online From - PharmacyExpress

Whereas Niz is selling for $20 per 100 ml atm if you can even get it as availability is limited atm (Nizoral?)

and then another later post:

Giggity!

They sent me 6 bottles! I checked my bank account and it still says I was charged $63 so 1200 ml of keto shampoo for $63! Thats ~ 5 bucks per 100 ml.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
A thing to note with hair loss is its cyclical in a lot or most people. SO you lose some then it stops for a while then it starts again. Because of this its very susceptible. Someone goes on biotin or b vitamins or something and then it happens to coincide with a phase where their hair loss stop and they attribute it to the b vitamins because of this I tend to try to rely on studies more than anecdote.

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
Look into grape seed extract(300mg 2x a day) and its effect on hair loss too its IMO the best supplement out there for hair loss-growth.
MSM seems to help too in 3 gram+ dosages taken wit Vit C.
biotin and Biosil(silica) wont hurt either even though biotin is highly overrated as a hair growth supp.

Regenepure DR and NT are my fav shampoos
Millcreek Biotin shampoo is another good natural shampoo to alternate with the Keto
Tricomin conditioning shampoo is the best from an aesthetic point of view i found.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Just bought some Niz and Grape seed extract, cheers boys

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
moar nizo/keto info so we can have it all in one place:

Sebizole by Douglas Pharmaceuticals is a cheaper ketoconazole shampoo than Nizoral. this Douglas Pharmaceuticals is about as legit as it gets...had sales of $145 mill last year and makes all kind of prescription drugs. They're the biggest pharma company in New Zealand which isn't exactly a backwards country (per capita income $28,850). The guy who started it was even knighted:

From community chemist to manufacturer | Stuff.co.nz

They were recently approved to sell prescription drugs in U.S. by the FDA:

Douglas Pharmaceutical gets US approval for acne medication | The National Business Review

Douglas Pharmaceuticals Appoints Deutsche Bank for Possible Sale - Deal Journal Australia - WSJ

The U.S. consumes half the world's prescription drugs (srsly) so everyone wants to get in on this market but companies have a hard time doing so apparently because regulation is strict here.

If you buy from this website 3 bottles comes to $63 for 600 ml of 2% ketoconazole shampoo including shipping (free over $50):

Sebizole Shampoo 2% (200ml) | Dandruff Treatment | Dry Itchy Scalp | Anti-dandruff Cream | Hair & Scalp Care | Best Price Online From - PharmacyExpress

Whereas Niz is selling for $20 per 100 ml atm if you can even get it as availability is limited atm (Nizoral?)

and then another later post:

Giggity!

They sent me 6 bottles! I checked my bank account and it still says I was charged $63 so 1200 ml of keto shampoo for $63! Thats ~ 5 bucks per 100 ml.
Thanks for sharing bro!

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Look into grape seed extract(300mg 2x a day) and its effect on hair loss too its IMO the best supplement out there for hair loss-growth.
biotin and Biosil(silica) wont hurt either even though biotin is highly overrated as a hair growth supp.

Millcreek Biotin shampoo is another good natural shampoo to alternate with the Keto
Tricomin conditioning shampoo is the best from an aesthetic point of view i found.
Stinging Nettle is also good hair supp to add into the mix.

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards

Do you have the GSE study on hand? I'd like to see what is being extracted

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Can Keto cause ED like minoxil can (rogaine)???? If it can; which the internet seems to suggest , you guys shouldn't be suggesting it to other members.

P

pimppapa1977

Awards
Was readn Rogaine causes limp dick..been on it forever..I get too many boners maybe I should up my dose lol

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Can Keto cause ED like minoxil can (rogaine)???? If it can; which the internet seems to suggest , you guys shouldn't be suggesting it to other members.
If you read my posts above I linked a study that says it doesn't get absorbed systemically meaning it doesn't get into your bloodstream just into your scalp.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
If you read my posts above I linked a study that says it doesn't get absorbed systemically meaning it doesn't get into your bloodstream just into your scalp.
That's exactly what was said about rogaine, because it's "topical"

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
I been on the stuff well over 10 years heard about it when Michael Mooney first talked about in Muscle Media 2000 and read a **** load about it and I myself and almost no one I've ever read about has gotten ED from it. I'm willing to bet you just googled nizoral+ED and then got your confirmation bias fix.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
I been on the stuff well over 10 years heard about it when Michael Mooney first talked about in Muscle Media 2000 and read a **** load about it and I myself and almost no one I've ever read about has gotten ED from it. I'm willing to bet you just googled nizoral+ED and then got your confirmation bias fix.
see PM, thanks

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
This stuff has made my hair go back to how I was when I was 16, I recommend everyone getting Nizoral 2%. Just make sure you spend $30 or so on a decent conditioner as it really dries your hair out

Can't believe how well it works for $10

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This stuff has made my hair go back to how I was when I was 16, I recommend everyone getting Nizoral 2%. Just make sure you spend $30 or so on a decent conditioner as it really dries your hair out Can't believe how well it works for $10
You applied conditioner right after shampooing? Or the next day? I would assume conditioning will diminish the effects of the shampoo? I could be wrong.

You shampooed eod?

R

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
Ive tried most all of these shampoos, Rogain, Propecia and still lost most all of my hair in the front and the crown. I fought this for a long time and finally gave up and shave my head and lucky for me, I apparently have the head for it. This is the first year I have ever went out without a cap on(recently divorced ) and have had nothing but compliments from women about how it looks. I still wish I had a full head of hair, but I never have a bad hair day here and no maintenance is nice to not have to bother with. I wish U guys the best of luck on this !!!

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
You applied conditioner right after shampooing? Or the next day? I would assume conditioning will diminish the effects of the shampoo? I could be wrong.

You shampooed eod?
Shampoo EOD, leave on for 2-3mins, then condition immediately after for 2-3mins

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
You applied conditioner right after shampooing? Or the next day? I would assume conditioning will diminish the effects of the shampoo? I could be wrong. You shampooed eod?
All conditioning does is soften your hair etc, has no effect on the Nizoral , first hand experience :)

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks buddy

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My moms dad was going bald in high school so i knew i had to take precautions early. But i forget what kind she gets but if it tingles on your head then its the kind i have. haha. The first time i used it, it freaked me out. Also supplementing iron, zinc, vitamin D, and b-complex as well as some fish oil will only be beneficial for hair loss. Plus all those vitamins i listed are essential in my opinion even if your not trying to prevent hair loss.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
I have 2000mg vitamin C and 5000 iU vitamin D a day, definitely helps

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Day 1 Nizoral 3mins on, rinse off, conditioner 3mins on rinse off
Day 2 Normal semi expensive shampoo, conditioner 3mins on rinse off

Repeat Day 1-2 indefinitely, keeps your hair not turning to straw

A month ago you used to be able to see my scalp pretty clearly, now, my hair is pretty damn thick