Pros and/or Cons of Intra-Workout Carbs

Shin Sprints

Awards
I am currently toying with the idea of using intra-workout carbs.

Currently I lift in a fasted state in the morning and have done so for a couple of years.

I currently take two scoops of MAN Body Octane and two scoops of Amino IV pre-workout, about 30-40 minutes before lifting.

I don't suffer from being hungry and I recover pretty well. Post-workout I have some 30g Whey, 15g Karbolyn and 1.5 cups of chocolate milk.

So my question is...what would be the benefit of me say taking either options 1) or 2) over just sipping water as I do now...

1) 15-20g of PeptoPro with 50g Karbolyn (or Glycofuse)
2) 2 scoops of Amino IV with 50 Karbolyn (or Glycofuse)

Thanks.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
ever since i switched to intra workout carbs during this cut, my recovery has drastically improved. I only use 25g HBCD from Glycofuse, but when I get to bulking and I have more cals, I plan on uping it to 40-50g

Option 1 is more expensive but probably better results

Option 2 is what I am doing currently, but I plan on going to use 2 scoops Amino IV, 10g PeptoPro, and 40-50g HBCD when I'm done cutting

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Also kissdadookie posted a thread that showed that intra workout carb intake shouldn't blunt fat loss if that's a concern

Shin Sprints

Awards
Thanks.

I am pretty lean (11ish) but looking to get leaner (sub 10) so good to know that it wouldn't hindrance fat loss.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
My energy is definatley higher and I feel I can keep going for longer using intra workout carbs.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Thanks.

I am pretty lean (11ish) but looking to get leaner (sub 10) so good to know that it wouldn't hindrance fat loss.
no definitely won't, i started it when i was around 10% about 6-8 weeks ago, currently sitting around 7.5-8%

if anything it'll help you keep LBM which will indirectly help with fat loss

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i only ever used carbs intraworkout last year when i got free tubs of size on, never did so on a cut though

someone brought up the idea somewhere else and i might start to dabble with some carbs with my compete intraworkout to see if i can notice a difference

dbenj7

Awards
Really depends on your goals and training intensity/volume. Personally I am a big fan of intra workout carbs

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Thanks. I am pretty lean (11ish) but looking to get leaner (sub 10) so good to know that it wouldn't hindrance fat loss.
Overall diet will of course be the main factor in that.

I've also been considering intra-workout carbs... I've tried it with Gatorade powder on occasion and it seems to help me push harder at the end of a lift. In terms of recovery, I haven't noticed a benefit.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I had a pop tart mid workout the other day because I started going hypoglycemic it helped

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
How long are you guys spending in your workouts?
Under an hour if no cardio. That's why I personally don't feel the need for intra-workout supplementation if I'm able to have sufficient nutrients pre-workout.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Under an hour if no cardio. That's why I personally don't feel the need for intra-workout supplementation if I'm able to have sufficient nutrients pre-workout.
Yeah, that is where I was going with this. Unless you are going over an hour or really pushing cardio intensive workouts, I doubt that intra carb intake is really doing much.

Shin Sprints

Awards
I used to train in under an hour but the last few months I am lifting for about 75 minutes.

I don't feel any fatigue anytime I am in there and my recovery seems to be good...more curious as to the potential benefits of using intra-workout carbs with BC/EAA or PeptoPro.

Thanks.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
I used to train in under an hour but the last few months I am lifting for about 75 minutes.

I don't feel any fatigue anytime I am in there and my recovery seems to be good...more curious as to the potential benefits of using intra-workout carbs with BC/EAA or PeptoPro.

Thanks.
Basically limiting catabolism and preventing too much protein breakdown which will give you a more positive ratio of protein catabolism vs protein anabolism

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ever since i switched to intra workout carbs during this cut, my recovery has drastically improved. I only use 25g HBCD from Glycofuse, but when I get to bulking and I have more cals, I plan on uping it to 40-50g

Option 1 is more expensive but probably better results

Option 2 is what I am doing currently, but I plan on going to use 2 scoops Amino IV, 10g PeptoPro, and 40-50g HBCD when I'm done cutting
I really liked glycofuse but It was pretty pricy for what it was. True nutrition has bulk HBCD for like a 1/3 of the price and you can pick flavoring... Have you used them before?

Shin Sprints

Awards
I have used Glycofuse for post-workout, never intra-workout.

I currently have Karbolyn which I am also using to post-workout but starting Monday I will try 30g Intra with 2 scoops of Amino IV.

I am also thinking of ordering bulk HBCD from True Nutrition along with some PeptoPro.

A question I have of PeptoPro on True Nutrition is what is the difference between PeptoPro and the Hydrolyzed Casein? The Hydrolyzed Casein is a good bit cheaper? I know PetpoPro is patented technology but is the difference really worth the extra 10 dollars/lb?

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
I have used Glycofuse for post-workout, never intra-workout.

I currently have Karbolyn which I am also using to post-workout but starting Monday I will try 30g Intra with 2 scoops of Amino IV.

I am also thinking of ordering bulk HBCD from True Nutrition along with some PeptoPro.

A question I have of PeptoPro on True Nutrition is what is the difference between PeptoPro and the Hydrolyzed Casein? The Hydrolyzed Casein is a good bit cheaper? I know PetpoPro is patented technology but is the difference really worth the extra 10 dollars/lb?
to be honest, i have no idea. i was planning on trying the PeptoPro first, then trying the Hydrolized Casein to see if i can see a difference

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I really liked glycofuse but It was pretty pricy for what it was. True nutrition has bulk HBCD for like a 1/3 of the price and you can pick flavoring... Have you used them before?
I just broke this down in another thread. On a per gram basis, TN is more expensive that Glycofuse. Its very little difference (~$1 difference over 1500 grams) but TN is more expensive.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
There is a big difference in mix-ability and texture between the two, PeptoPro being a finer consistency and mixing better. I also think that PeptoPro does not taste quite as bad.

IMO PeptoPro anecdotally seems to be superior to the hydrolyzed casein but if it will make a difference in the real world results I am not sure.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is a big difference in mix-ability and texture between the two, PeptoPro being a finer consistency and mixing better. I also think that PeptoPro does not taste quite as bad.

IMO PeptoPro anecdotally seems to be superior to the hydrolyzed casein but if it will make a difference in the real world results I am not sure.
I remember breezy or someone saying there is a difference in molecular weight or something along the same lines

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Well according to that article, intra carbs CAN hinder fat loss while cutting, correct??
kissdadookie posted a study that shows it won't hinder fat loss as long as you're in a caloric deficit.

besides your goal when cutting should be to retain LBM... and in the gym if you're strength training to burn fat instead of keep or build muscle then you got it backwards lol

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
kissdadookie posted a study that shows it won't hinder fat loss as long as you're in a caloric deficit. besides your goal when cutting should be to retain LBM... and in the gym if you're strength training to burn fat instead of keep or build muscle then you got it backwards lol
Yeah. You always weight train to build muscle. Unless you're an endomorph....that's the only time to cut them, IMO. I kept them in until about 5-6 weeks out, then cycled them intra until 4 weeks out.

Burn fat the rest of the day :cool:

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Yeah. You always weight train to build muscle. Unless you're an endomorph....that's the only time to cut them, IMO. I kept them in until about 5-6 weeks out, then cycled them intra until 4 weeks out.

Burn fat the rest of the day :cool:
couldn't have been said any better ^

very excited to reverse and bulk with them intra and see how it goes

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Very Close. It's % of di&tri peptides. PP is superior and tastes better...is cleaner
Other than PeptoPro I have not found another protein that publishes the % of di/tri peptides. I would guess the TN hydrolyzed casein to have a smaller percentage than PP but since the information is not available we don't know for sure.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
They will definitely blunt fat loss as they have calories. His post was in regards to the plasma lipid profile
So if your still in a daily caloric deficit, taking 20-30g of CHO intra workout will/can blunt fat loss?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
If it improves your workout use them intra but take the carbs away from elsewhere in the day or all you've done is add calories and slow weight loss.

Swol got it, just hit targets.
If intra helps your performance go for it

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
So if your still in a daily caloric deficit, taking 20-30g of CHO intra workout will/can blunt fat loss?

During your workout, yes.

I like to have some cereal before I head to the gym, workout with no intra. Then when I'm cutting, pop some yohimbine (Alphaburn, AT2, etc) and do a little cardio after.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is sure has been cover over and over. YOU DONT WORK OUT TO LOSS FAT!!!! Period, ever, end of story. The point is mute. Countless people get into sub 6% bf consuming carbs during their workout. If you can't, you're either an hardcore endomorph or the rest of your diet/cardio regimen sucks, end of story!!!!

I'm being blunt and probably rude but i see these type of threads more and more and it's exhausting. I want to help the community as much as possible this kind of stuff pisses me off.

Now I will say if your intensity is lacking as is your frequency then you're right, intra carbs may hinder your look bc newsflash, you're not ready for them bc your training and diet are lacking

They're not the end all be all either but they're for the hardcore guys. Guys that want to train frequent and hard to put on as much muscle as humanly possible. If you don't, that's fine but don't bad mouth the protocol and spread pure ignorance.

Rant/

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Yes, during your workout. But at the end of the day you will lose fat because you are in a deficit. Fat loss vs fat gain doesn't occur on a 24 hour basis, we just use daily macros because it's an easy way to ensure fat loss on a day-by-day basis. But in reality, every second of the day, your body is turning up some metabolic pathways and turning down others depending on what you just ate and what activities you're doing

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Just to add:

Most do not train with the intention of depleting glycogen, so intra-carbs might be useful. On that same token, intra-carbs depend on the intensity and duration of the training session.

IMO, 60-70% of 1-rm for 8-12 reps, 3-5 sets wouldn't really need carbs even if the session lasts more than an hour. By that same token, anything above working sets consisting of 85% 1-rm within the 6-12 range should utilize carbs to combat any cortisol release.

Also, be wary of any preworkouts containing high amounts of niacin. Niacin has been shown to inhibit ffa release and thus put the body into a glucose-burning state. This is good for endurance athletes and those seeking glycogen depletion, but not for the trainee utilizing intra-carbs.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
What's the carb cutoff point if you plan on popping some Yohimbine directly after lifting, for some cardio? Best to skip the carbs altogether, or could you get away with taking them the first half of the workout. Say, 1-1.5hr lift session.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
What's the carb cutoff point if you plan on popping some Yohimbine directly after lifting, for some cardio? Best to skip the carbs altogether, or could you get away with taking them the first half of the workout. Say, 1-1.5hr lift session.
You should be in "fasted state" for yohimbine. Min would be 2 hours depending on the carb source and optimal would be 3.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
You should be in "fasted state" for yohimbine. Min would be 2 hours depending on the carb source and optimal would be 3.

Yeah, that's why I asked. I read exercise clears insulin pretty quickly, but I have no idea how fast. Apparently eating directly preworkout and taking yohimbine after lifting is fine. Curious how much one could push it.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
I took yohimbe just 15 mins prior to cardio after weight training and my carbs would be finished 30 mins prior for my cut & the results were phenomenal

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd try to dose yohimbine 30-60 mins before starting cardio (I shoot for 40 mins).

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
I'd try to dose yohimbine 30-60 mins before starting cardio (I shoot for 40 mins).

Wow, I was dosing like 10 min, pre. Lol Hmm.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Wow, I was dosing like 10 min, pre. Lol Hmm.
Yohimbine pharmacokinetics and interaction with the sympathetic nervous system in normal volunteers

The pharmacokinetics of yohimbine and its effects on sympathoadrenal function were studied in 13 young, healthy, male volunteers after an IV bolus dose of 0.25 or 0.5 mg · kg−1.

Pharmacokinetic analysis showed that distribution was rapid, with a half life between 0.4 and IS min, and the elimination half life ranged between 0.25 and 2.5 h. The volume of distribution (Vss) was 741, (range 26 to 1271). Only 0.5 to 1 % of unchanged yohimbine was found in the urine, indicating that the major part of the drug was eliminated by hepatic clearance. Total plasma clearance was 1171. h−1, which exceeds the hepatic plasma flow. This means that yohimbine is a high extraction drug with considerable extra-hepatic metabolism. Fractional urine sampling revealed that 0.5-1 % of unchanged yohimbine was excreted in urine in a biphasic manner. The data also suggested the existence of a slower elimination phase, with a half life of 13 h. The venous plasma concentration of noradrenaline (NA) increased 3-fold within 15 min after the yohimbine injection while plasma adrenaline (A) and neuropeptide Y-like immunoreactivity (NPY LI) remained unchanged. The plasma concentration-effect relationship of the changes in circulating NA followed counter-clockwise hysteresis. The results show that the hyperadrenergic state elicited by therapeutic doses of theα2-adrenergic autoreceptor antagonist, yohimbine, is due to an interaction with NA but not to release of A or NPY in man.
Source: Yohimbine pharmacokinetics and interaction with the sympathetic nervous system in normal volunteers - Springer

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
Awesome, thanks. Just to clarify, my implication was that I've been doing it wrong. Haha. I appreciate that info, though.

Nyrin

Awards
Awesome, thanks. Just to clarify, my implication was that I've been doing it wrong. Haha. I appreciate that info, though.
I don't think you've been doing it wrong at all. 30-60 minutes pre-cardio won't hurt at all, but the full size of 'sweet spot' is likely between 15-60 minutes after taking it.

As long as you're doing some high-fat-use activity shortly after taking it, I think it'll work its magic.

I've been playing with the idea of throwing some yohimbine into my intraworkout drink to keep serum levels elevated during my session; anyone played with that? Have to be careful to not let concentrations get too high, but it doesn't seem like it'd be particularly ergolytic to stay "yohimbined" for both cardio and lifting. I still keep a pretty high HR and sweatiness during lifting, so it seems like even more opportunity for optimized fat loss. I'm probably missing half a dozen important biological considerations, though :D

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think you've been doing it wrong at all. 30-60 minutes pre-cardio won't hurt at all, but the full size of 'sweet spot' is likely between 15-60 minutes after taking it.

As long as you're doing some high-fat-use activity shortly after taking it, I think it'll work its magic.

I've been playing with the idea of throwing some yohimbine into my intraworkout drink to keep serum levels elevated during my session; anyone played with that? Have to be careful to not let concentrations get too high, but it doesn't seem like it'd be particularly ergolytic to stay "yohimbined" for both cardio and lifting. I still keep a pretty high HR and sweatiness during lifting, so it seems like even more opportunity for optimized fat loss. I'm probably missing half a dozen important biological considerations, though :D
Is it going to make an appreciable difference in results though?

I've just treated yohinbine as another stimulant TBH and I can't grasp why anyone would sip on stims intra-workout :p

Nyrin

Awards
Is it going to make an appreciable difference in results though?
I've just treated yohinbine as another stimulant TBH and I can't grasp why anyone would sip on stims intra-workout :p
Just to keep the stim buzz going, I'd imagine. Doesn't matter much for caffeine and a short workout, but if you're going for hours or using shorter-lived things (like yohimbine, in principle), it might be nice to "top off."

As it is, I have no idea if it makes much of a difference to stay yohimbine-influenced for the whole workout; I figure I'm burning at least much energy during my lifting as my MISS cardio warmup, though, so it intuitively seems like it could add value. Dirt cheap to try with bulk Y-HCl made aqueous, anyway; worst thing that happens is I OD a bit and get jitters!

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just to keep the stim buzz going, I'd imagine. Doesn't matter much for caffeine and a short workout, but if you're going for hours or using shorter-lived things (like yohimbine, in principle), it might be nice to "top off."

As it is, I have no idea if it makes much of a difference to stay yohimbine-influenced for the whole workout; I figure I'm burning at least much energy during my lifting as my MISS cardio warmup, though, so it intuitively seems like it could add value. Dirt cheap to try with bulk Y-HCl made aqueous, anyway; worst thing that happens is I OD a bit and get jitters!
Depends on how the ingredients are dosed and play together I suppose. The old PES Enhanced lasted a good long time.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote