Supplements that can cause elevated liver enzyme levels

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
Ok fellas so I get routine blood work done (every 3 months) by my dermatologist because I am prescribed ampicillin (antibiotic) for medium case acne. I have been prescribed and been taking some form of antibiotic since I was 14 years old.

So my most recent blood test came back with abnormally high liver enzyme levels, specifically AST and ALT.

My results were:

AST- 87 (range is 0-40)
ALT- 154 (range is 0-44)
My BUN was also high
BUN- 27 (range is 6-20)
as well as my BUN/Creatinine ratio
BUN creatinine ratio- 23 (range is 8-19)

My dermatologist called me right away with the results and asked me to stop taking any supplements containing creatine and to stop taking my antibiotic immediately and then do a second blood test on august 1st (two weeks from original test)

I am kind of concerned because those numbers are pretty dam high and I have no clue what could be causing this and my intial go-to is supplements.

So I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue with supplements or lifting in general?

Life style changes in the past 3 months- I have gained about 15 pounds in the last month because I am on bulk. Eating mainly red meat, bread and eggs. I am also lifting a lot heavier. Was doing 10-12 reps at medium weight during my cut, now I am doing 5x5 with heavy weight and finishing the workout with medium weight for 10-12 reps.

Supplements that I have used in the past 3 months or longer:

Ep1c (Epichatechin)
DS Craze
bulk citrulline malate
agmatine
Amentomax (amentoflavone)
Potassium Nitrate
Orange triad
Iforce fish oil gels
Kre-alkalyn creatine
Creatine monohydrate (creapure)
Gaspari Myofusion
PES Select
Phenibut (4 grams every saturday and sunday)
Dymatize Caseine

So far I have completely stopped excess creatine supplementation (I am still taking in some from the craze but that's it), and I have eliminated the ampicillin which I was prescribed. Aside from supplementation, I have also heard that heavy lifting can cause elevated ALT/AST levels but I am not certain how credible that information is.

Any feedback or knowledge you guys/gals may have pertaining to this topic please let me know!

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
All those values could be elevated due to training in a close vicinity to taking the test, like the day before. However definitely worth getting a follow up test. Try having a couple of days off lifting prior to your follow up.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Could be the undeclared ampethamines in DS Craze

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On antibiotics since you were 14??? Is your GI like.frumped up now or what?? Have you been taking.it solely due to acne??

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
On antibiotics since you were 14??? Is your GI like.frumped up now or what?? Have you been taking.it solely due to acne??
Yes only for acne. And my dermatologist does know that I have been on them that long. And I have take many different ones too. Started off with tetracycline for the longest time...then went through a couple others then stopped at ampicillin which is what I have been taking for the past 3 years

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do you have any historical blood work? A single shot isn't always accurate. Historical values will tell you if some of these may be "normal" for you, and you are always outside the range, although that doesn't appear to be the case. It will also tell you if any other antibiotics elevated your enzymes. And of course, if you had earlier blood work and you were on those same supplements, you could reduce the likelihood of those being the problem. Looking at what you're taking, I am unaware of anything there that would elevate liver enzymes, although I am not highly educated on the epi, amentoflavone, or phenibut.

Antibiotics themselves are typically very hard on the liver, which is why you should be getting your blood tested when you take most antibiotic acne medications to begin with...maybe the new drug doesn't agree with you?

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes only for acne. And my dermatologist does know that I have been on them that long. And I have take many different ones too. Started off with tetracycline for the longest time...then went through a couple others then stopped at ampicillin which is what I have been taking for the past 3 years
Have you ever thought he's just trying to manage the symptoms of something that could be corrected through other means? Have you ever looked into colloidal silver??

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
Do you have any historical blood work? A single shot isn't always accurate. Historical values will tell you if some of these may be "normal" for you, and you are always outside the range, although that doesn't appear to be the case. It will also tell you if any other antibiotics elevated your enzymes. And of course, if you had earlier blood work and you were on those same supplements, you could reduce the likelihood of those being the problem. Looking at what you're taking, I am unaware of anything there that would elevate liver enzymes, although I am not highly educated on the epi, amentoflavone, or phenibut.

Antibiotics themselves are typically very hard on the liver, which is why you should be getting your blood tested when you take most antibiotic acne medications to begin with...maybe the new drug doesn't agree with you?
Yes. My previous blood work registered completely normal for BUN and Creatinine but my AST and ASL were both at 31 last year which is perfectly normal. Then the first 2 blood works that I had done this year registered at 60 for both AST and ASL which is still higher than the reference but the dermatologist did not find it alarming so never told me. In the most recent blood test, AST and ASL spiked to 84 and 157 respectively.

The only supplement I have changed before my previous bloodworks that were normal is EP1C (epichatechin), phenibut, amentomax, and potassium nitrate, and I am lifting much heavier. And I did workout the day before and did heavy shoulders

bert45

bert45

Banned
Awards
Yes. My previous blood work registered completely normal for BUN and Creatinine but my AST and ASL were both at 31 last year which is perfectly normal. Then the first 2 blood works that I had done this year registered at 60 for both AST and ASL which is still higher than the reference but the dermatologist did not find it alarming so never told me. In the most recent blood test, AST and ASL spiked to 84 and 157 respectively.

The only supplement I have changed before my previous bloodworks that were normal is EP1C (epichatechin), phenibut, amentomax, and potassium nitrate, and I am lifting much heavier. And I did workout the day before and did heavy shoulders
phenibut and craze might be the culprits

VinnyPaz

Awards
Were you sick within a week or two before the test, or did you get sick soon after? Being sick, or a recent sickness, can cause them to be elevated. That happened to me a few years ago.

Next test- normal.

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
How much vit d3 you take per day?

also craze has creatine in it.. if your using and abusing :p more than likely your taking in over 15g a day.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
I've had blood work done a **** load of times in the past two years regarding my thyroid, and have had always elevated AST and ALT, BUN and Bun/Creatinine. From consulting with my Dr and doing research, I've found that an elevated bun and bun to creatinine is caused from creatine supplementation and a higher protein diet. The ALT and AST are actually affected from intense exercise. My ALT and AST have been elevated now for 3 years since I've been training consistently and there's no concern there. I was told by my Dr that as long as the Bilirubin is the key for the liver and to return AST and ALT and to get it to a normal level you shouldn't exercise about 7-10 days prior to testing. Lemme see if I can find the article link

Danes

Danes

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have been prescribed and been taking some form of antibiotic since I was 14 years old.
The one who gave you antibiotic when u was 14 must be an idiot!
I know it was for the acne but many countries dont give antibiotics for acne to people below age 18. Hormones etc need to stabilize first

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OP, is it possible you have food type hepatitis? Bad shellfish can give you this type of hepatitis. It lasts about 90 days speaking from experience.

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established
this was my first guess too.. eth... its whats for dinner.

I thought this as well but then researched a little and apparently amphetamines are processed through the kidneys not the liver

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I thought this as well but then researched a little and apparently amphetamines are processed through the kidneys not the liver
First pass metabolism would mean it passes through the liver; same as the anti-biotic.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Edit

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Lots of doctors in this thread I see lol.

1. To everyone saying he shouldn't be on an antibiotic and should try some natural option, you don't know his actual dermatological condition. Acne isn't really a diagnosis. And there are several, much needed indications for Abx. Also, it's hilarious that drugs are immediately blamed for abnormal results when the vast majority of antibiotics have no hepatoxicity.

2. Exercise can cause elevated AST/ALT, but an ALT of 154 is definitely a red flag and almost certainly not physiologic. This absolutely needs to be addressed. I would follow the advice of your doctor here. Don't chalk this up to something benign, even if there's a chance it is.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
The one who gave you antibiotic when u was 14 must be an idiot!
I know it was for the acne but many countries dont give antibiotics for acne to people below age 18. Hormones etc need to stabilize first
Antibiotics have absolutely nothing to do with hormones. Antiobiotics are routinely given to people of all ages, even newborns if need be, to fight off infections.

Hockeyaus33

Hockeyaus33

Awards
  • Established

1. To everyone saying he shouldn't be on an antibiotic and should try some natural option, you don't know his actual dermatological condition. Acne isn't really a diagnosis. And there are several, much needed indications for Abx. Also, it's hilarious that drugs are immediately blamed for abnormal results when the vast majority of antibiotics have no hepatoxicity.

2. Exercise can cause elevated AST/ALT, but an ALT of 154 is definitely a red flag and almost certainly not physiologic. This absolutely needs to be addressed. I would follow the advice of your doctor here. Don't chalk this up to something benign, even if there's a chance it is.
The doctor said to stop taking any creatine supplements and to stop taking the antibiotic. I go in this friday to get the second blood test. I really hope the original blood test there was something wrong with the machine or something goofy threw off the reading because it is very scary to me. I have never had a serious health problem before....

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
I'm no doctor ;-) exercise can increase enzyme levels but not to thar extent. 154 needs to be addressed. I've had slightly elevated levels while on methylated oral but I'm talking like readings of 60 or so just out of range.

Follow doctors orders I would assume they will want to do a ultrasound.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I guess you teach me something new everyday Coop. I was not suggesting drugs could be the ONLY cause, or that he should stop taking them, but I was under the impression that MANY antibiotics were hepatotoxic, even natural anti-biotics. Sodium Usniate comes to mind. Accutane also seems to be a relative case. Obviously the generally prescribed tetracycline/penicillin type antibiotics are vastly lower - but I thought many were known to have liver-toxic effects.

I was just suggesting that, he was having blood work for this drug for a reason- probably to monitor these effects because the drug has an impact on liver function - and it could possibly be playing out if he was on it for such a long period of time. That's also why I was asking about prior blood work....really no way of knowing what is causing it I guess was kind of the underlying point...but prior bloodwork may have given some insight if he changed something between the tests...

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Before going to blaming anything, get a second test. I've had so many labs I have lost count over the years and there are things that happen for whatever reason that throw them off. As mentioned, that is a very high number but before hitting the panic button, get retested and verify.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I guess you teach me something new everyday Coop. I was not suggesting drugs could be the ONLY cause, or that he should stop taking them, but I was under the impression that MANY antibiotics were hepatotoxic, even natural anti-biotics. Sodium Usniate comes to mind. Accutane also seems to be a relative case. Obviously the generally prescribed tetracycline/penicillin type antibiotics are vastly lower - but I thought many were known to have liver-toxic effects.

I was just suggesting that, he was having blood work for this drug for a reason- probably to monitor these effects because the drug has an impact on liver function - and it could possibly be playing out if he was on it for such a long period of time. That's also why I was asking about prior blood work....really no way of knowing what is causing it I guess was kind of the underlying point...but prior bloodwork may have given some insight if he changed something between the tests...
I wasn't calling out any particular post. Generally speaking, most antibiotics are not hepatotoxic. The few you listed are exceptions. Accutane, azoles, anti-TB drugs, and some antivirals are the main hepatotoxic culprits. The Abx that you find prescribed much more frequently like beta lactamases are quite benign on LFTs.