Bang for buck on Casein??

Logan.ME

Awards
Ive been using Optimum Nutritions casein since adding it to my repertoire a couple years ago. I am just curious what everyone thinks about it vs the other caseins out there. I havent tried any others and I was thinking about switching it up if there was a solid contender that has the right price. Thanks

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Why are you using casein? Regardless, probably SAN would be a solid choice.

I'd look into PES Select, though. Read their write-up why blends are superior to other forms.

Logan.ME

Awards
Mainly for work when its difficult to nutrate properly at times when im on the move. I was using a blend from elite for a bit because it was given to me. I also take it before i sleep. You dont recommend casein? Ive always liked it and feel better upon waking. Definitely notice if i forget to take it before bed as well.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Mainly for work when its difficult to nutrate properly at times when im on the move. I was using a blend from elite for a bit because it was given to me. I also take it before i sleep. You dont recommend casein? Ive always liked it and feel better upon waking. Definitely notice if i forget to take it before bed as well.
Notice what? Hunger?

The notion you need protein, like casein, prior to sleep is incorrect.

Now if you just simply prefer caseins for the texture, taste, etc., that's fine. I'm just trying to get across that your daily protein/overall nutrition intake is more important than pre-bed nutrition, IMO.

Logan.ME

Awards
Im always hungry.. Im more so saying that my body feels like it got better rest and recovery while i slept. Upon waking i also feel as if its easier to wake up and get my body moving due to the better recovery. Almost like im more primed for the day. I train at night so casein might work better for me than your experiences with it and what other people tell you on the subject.

Logan.ME

Awards
I know that overall protein intake is the most important key. Its why i add a shake here and there when i feel its necessary. Casein has worked since i added it a couple years ago.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Im always hungry.. Im more so saying that my body feels like it got better rest and recovery while i slept. Upon waking i also feel as if its easier to wake up and get my body moving due to the better recovery. Almost like im more primed for the day. I train at night so casein might work better for me than your experiences with it and what other people tell you on the subject.
It's in your mind that when you have Casein pre bed you feel better he next morning. That is one of the marketing gimmicks of Casein. In terms of recovery, a blend of whey and casein would be a better option. Something like PES Select is a good option.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Like others have said, blends are better than just casein alone. I would look into PES select (check out the website in my signature for the science of why blends are better than just whey or casein alone).

cbsharpe

Awards
  • Established
True, blends are better but since the OP asked about Casein, I suggested SAN.

Although PES is still my fav!!!!

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
True, blends are better but since the OP asked about Casein, I suggested SAN.

Although PES is still my fav!!!!
Of course, just trying to provide him with information and options. SAN is a great company.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That SAN vanilla pudding casein is greatness! Also been enjoying ARO brand casein, VS casein....but that PES Select and USP Oxy blends are by far my fav...
Ya I prefer blends...but I agree that SAN Vanilla Casein is pretty good. I enjoyed the tub of it I used in the past.

packers6211

packers6211

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ive been using Optimum Nutritions casein since adding it to my repertoire a couple years ago. I am just curious what everyone thinks about it vs the other caseins out there. I havent tried any others and I was thinking about switching it up if there was a solid contender that has the right price. Thanks
http://www.orbitnutrition.com/cart/iss-research-micellar-matrix-2.47-lbs..html I like pretty much anything they make and have used both this and the Optimum. Both are good and I don't think it needs to get to fancy with casein but it does help at night if your stuck on a tight time schedule.

GD67

GD67

Awards
I use ON Gold Standard Natural 100% Casein because it has no artificial flavors or sweeteners. I pay $44 for 4 pounds on Amazon (Prime). I mix that with NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate ($52 for 5 pounds). There are better tasting proteins for sure but they have artificial crap.

doughboy23

doughboy23

Awards
Any advantages with casein, or should I just stick with blends???

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
I think its better to take a micellular casein/whey combo

Contaygious

Contaygious

Awards
  • Established
Pes select for me! I switched from trutein for price and also i like the 80/20 blend better!

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
Is a blend better to take post workout as well? Is it better to take just whey?

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Blend is better. Check the SelectProtein.com site for more in depth info. The write up has references to studies showing the benefits of blends as well. :)

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Blend is better. Check the SelectProtein.com site for more in depth info. The write up has references to studies showing the benefits of blends as well. :)
PES is a protein I could trust. Any chance on making a protein product naturally sweetened with stevia?

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you're looking into a new casein protein, you could check out Allmax Casein-Fx. 25 g of protein, 102 cals, 0 g fat.

In terms of a blend, I would be remiss to not take the opportunity to call out out Hexapro - WPC, MPC, WPI, micellar casein, egg albumin, and hydrolyzed whey. So really covering all the bases. Plus the flavors are outstanding, including a C&C milkshake and Choc PB flavor.

I've heard great things about PES Select, but have yet to have a chance to give it a shot.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you're looking into a new casein protein, you could check out Allmax Casein-Fx. 25 g of protein, 102 cals, 0 g fat.

In terms of a blend, I would be remiss to not take the opportunity to call out out Hexapro - WPC, MPC, WPI, micellar casein, egg albumin, and hydrolyzed whey. So really covering all the bases. Plus the flavors are outstanding, including a C&C milkshake and Choc PB flavor.

I've heard great things about PES Select, but have yet to have a chance to give it a shot.
As much as I love Allmax and their products, I would not suggest Hexapro. The ingredients ruin it for me :(

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As much as I love Allmax and their products, I would not suggest Hexapro. The ingredients ruin it for me :(
Thanks for the Allmax love! Can I ask what in Hexapro you're not a fan of? Have you tried it out before?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the Allmax love! Can I ask what in Hexapro you're not a fan of? Have you tried it out before?
I'm just not fan of some of the ingredients of that particular product, that is all I am saying

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
isolate, something like isotean is best post workout...you should be eating pretty quickly after a workout, you want the fast protein and then getting even more protein during your post workout meal

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
isolate, something like isotean is best post workout...you should be eating pretty quickly after a workout, you want the fast protein and then getting even more protein during your post workout meal
Says who? And why? Does protein timing matter?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This isn't the 90's/early 2000's.

RickyBDragon

RickyBDragon

Banned
Awards

whyteboi

Awards
I remember seeing a study done (on football players I believe) where there were either 2 or 3 groups (maybe more) of protein

There was a whey group (possibly whey/casein blend) and there was a casein group (possibly whey/casein blend). Basically, one had more casein than the other

Either way, the takeaway from the study was that both groups gained the exact same amount of LBM, but the group that had more casein (either 100% casein or a blend vs just whey) lost fat while the more-whey group lost less/none fat

Ill try and dig it up, maybe someone can tear it apart

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
hmmm....maybe i'll just drink pes select post workout and not eat the rest of the day, sounds lovely bahahaha

that casein brah

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds awesome. Give SnickerDoodle a try :).