New Study Shows Omega-6 Fat Arachidonic Acid Builds Muscle

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LAS VEGAS, July 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Molecular Nutrition (MN) announced today clinical study results for their X-Factor™ arachidonic acid (ARA) supplement. Under controlled conditions in the University of Tampa's Human Performance Research Lab, supplementation of ARA for eight weeks significantly increased lean body mass, muscle thickness, strength, and anaerobic power in experienced resistance-trained men. These findings were unveiled at the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) conference in Las Vegas, NV.

Arachidonic acid is an omega-6 fatty acid. It is found in many foods including eggs, beef, chicken, and fish. ARA is one of the most biologically important fatty acids; playing key roles in the immune system, memory and learning, bone mineral density, and cardiovascular health. MN CEO William Llewellyn first proposed that supplemental ARA would support skeletal muscle growth more than a decade ago. This study validates his original hypothesis, and provides very clear support for the use of ARA supplements in sports.

Thirty college-aged men were recruited for the study, and randomized into two groups. The men in the first group were given 1,500 mg of ARA daily, and the other an identical-looking placebo. All men followed a periodized resistance-training program for 8 weeks. At the end of the study, the group supplementing ARA reported significantly greater gains in lean body mass (3.6 lbs. vs. 0.2 lbs.). They also noticed an 88% greater increase in muscle thickness (.47 cm vs. .25 cm), and added significantly more strength to bench press and leg press (110 lbs. vs. 76 lbs.). Lastly, wingate peak anaerobic power was dramatically improved with ARA (78W vs. 28W), a 275% greater increase.

"This study has demonstrated in a controlled setting the type of remarkable results we've noticed with athletes and bodybuilders for many years now," said William Llewellyn. "Arachidonic acid is a key link between the mechanical stress of resistance training, and the biological repair process that comes in afterwards to facilitate protein synthesis and growth. This gives us an exceptionally effective opportunity for increasing muscle mass and strength. ARA supplementation should provide a distinct advantage for bodybuilders, and athletes in all sports where strength and power are decisive variables."

About Molecular Nutrition

Molecular Nutrition is a sports nutrition research and development company. X-Factor™ is available through many supplement retailers and distributors. For more information visit www.MNBody.com. Arachidonic acid (ARASYN™) is a patented sports nutrition ingredient. Interested companies should contact [email protected].

Wolfy3d2000

Wolfy3d2000

Awards
  • Established
Fantastic! Can wait to start my run on Monday!

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
Solid results. Looking forward to giving the study a look over.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Full text anywhere?

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Full text and graphs coming Monday.

What haters 1 starred a thread about one of the few legit scientific studies that our industry has ever seen?

BRB, furthering our industry with scientific validity while internet haters keep hating.

Mission1

Mission1

Awards
  • Established

What haters 1 starred a thread about one of the few legit scientific studies that our industry has ever seen?

BRB, furthering our industry with scientific validity while internet haters keep hating.
I got one bottle sitting on my self. I may have two grab another.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Full text and graphs coming Monday. What haters 1 starred a thread about one of the few legit scientific studies that our industry has ever seen? BRB, furthering our industry with scientific validity while internet haters keep hating.
Cool, i look forward to the full text/graphs. I would like to see a good study done on daily v only workout day dosing schemes for ARA as that seems to be another debate that pops up regularly. Plus, this study says it was a daily dosing scheme in the text provided above.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
im enjoying xfa a lot more than xf..

tony soprano

Awards

Congrats to Bill and Molecular One on the publication. If not for cost, I think ArA would enjoy the same status as creatine. This has been an awesome year for natty supplementation.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
im enjoying xfa a lot more than xf..
Is that due to headaches and/or inflammation issues when running XF? How long you been running XFA, and have you noticed any differences in training progression between the 2 versions?

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Solid bro, this is why I use this stuff!!

Mike

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I have ran ArA at least three times already and it hasn't failed me. My lifts just keep going up on it. Actually have another set waiting on my closet :) excited!!!

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Congrats to Bill and Molecular One on the publication. If not for cost, I think ArA would enjoy the same status as creatine. This has been an awesome year for natty supplementation.
Is this a publication or press release?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Cool, i look forward to the full text/graphs. I would like to see a good study done on daily v only workout day dosing schemes for ARA as that seems to be another debate that pops up regularly. Plus, this study says it was a daily dosing scheme in the text provided above.
This. I'd also like to know how it was dosed, i.e. if it was dosed on an empty stomach or with food, spread throughout day or one dose daily, etc.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is this a publication or press release?
It's a publication within a press release...we're talking straight inception baby... ;) I believe full study details coming out on Monday.. this was just a general population release for the layman...

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I already thought the studies were conclusive about ArA. I guess more doesn't hurt though. ArA was the first natty anabolic I used and it treated me well.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Strange, this is what Llewellyn has recently posted elsewhere:

The complete abstract should be posted on monday. The FULL paper is still in the works (phase II mechanism studies currently), and is expected to be published later this year.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's a publication within a press release...we're talking straight inception baby... ;) I believe full study details coming out on Monday.. this was just a general population release for the layman...
I was wondering if this study is published in any scientific journal. If it is, the full paper should already be available. If it s not, it s very unusual for studies to disclose part of the study before publication. Unless the study is never going to be published.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Is that due to headaches and/or inflammation issues when running XF? How long you been running XFA, and have you noticed any differences in training progression between the 2 versions?
I notice a ton of pumps and Increased volume. I do not use gms nor carnitines either. I felt rough on xf, 8 workouts in so far

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Swolen, any links to the actual study?

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Does anyone know how it was dosed, i.e. with food throughout the day or preworkout on empty stomach, etc?

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw we need an AnaBeta Elite + X-Factor Stack Sale in honor of new study? wink wink?

:)

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Do you know how many days a week that was and if it was dosed on an empty stomach or with a meal?
You can follow the label or dose it all with your preworkout meal. How many times a week depends on your workout frequency. Of course if you workout less than 3x a week then you have a problem :rolleyes:

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You can follow the label or dose it all with your preworkout meal. How many times a week depends on your workout frequency. Of course if you workout less than 3x a week then you have a problem :rolleyes:
Yeah, I know all that. But I was wondering exactly how it was used in the study. Thanks though.

PARASXOS

Awards
  • Established
i ve tried x factor in the past,4 capsules pre training and i saw nothing..no pumps,no doms no strength increases..and the bottle(200 caps)was a little underdosed too(it had 185 caps).

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
XF. XFA has Omega 3's in it.
Overall, I'd say people haven't noticed much of a difference between the two. I like XF more, however XFA seems like a great choice if you're susceptible to the joint issues.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you know how many days a week that was and if it was dosed on an empty stomach or with a meal?
No idea. The study isn't published yet. It's just a poster presentation at this point. I'm guessing another 6-12 months before we see a provisional followed by publication.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Id say go with straight ArA unless you get joint issues/pain.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No idea. The study isn't published yet. It's just a poster presentation at this point. I'm guessing another 6-12 months before we see a provisional followed by publication.
Gotcha. Thanks.

iThrow

iThrow

Awards
  • Established
On week 5 of my stack including ArA and have hit Pr's on bench and squat in back to back weeks/ must say this will be a staple 2/3 times a year! I think I may end up picking up another bottle of X-Gels though because Id like to give 1.5g a shot...

running 1g currently. Deciding whether or not to bump up to 1.5g after the first bottle is finished.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
On week 5 of my stack including ArA and have hit Pr's on bench and squat in back to back weeks/ must say this will be a staple 2/3 times a year! I think I may end up picking up another bottle of X-Gels though because Id like to give 1.5g a shot... running 1g currently. Deciding whether or not to bump up to 1.5g after the first bottle is finished.
If 1g of X-Gels is working well, I'd keep it there.

iThrow

iThrow

Awards
  • Established
If 1g of X-Gels is working well, I'd keep it there.
Id like to think it is based on results so far, but then again i havent noticed increased DOMS/soreness, and im not sure what else to expect.. hence why i was gonna play around with the dosage :D

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just noticed this, apparently they dosed 1.5 grams daily so most definitely taken on non-training days as well (which I personally recommend because I noticed better results @ 1 gram daily vs 1.5 grams training days only).

I would think 1 gram daily would be sufficient though, for smaller guys like myself.

iThrow

iThrow

Awards
  • Established
Just noticed this, apparently they dosed 1.5 grams daily so most definitely taken on non-training days as well (which I personally recommend because I noticed better results @ 1 gram daily vs 1.5 grams training days only).

I would think 1 gram daily would be sufficient though, for smaller guys like myself.
im taking 1g on training days only.. training 4 days per week, sooooo youve taken it on non training days as well.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
im taking 1g on training days only.. training 4 days per week, sooooo youve taken it on non training days as well.
First time I used XF, 1 gram every day first thing in the morning (training days, I train first thing in the morning). 50 days. No GMS, no LCLT, still continued taking fish oils at the time. That run was a better run than my second run @ 1.5 grams preworkout only (I think it was 5 days lift 1 day no lift, could possibly have been 4 days lift 1 day no lift, probably the latter) w/ GMS + LCLT. The first run was a better run than the second run.

When I run it again in the future, I'm just going to stick with daily dose of 1 gram. No GMS, no LCLT. Maybe grab 3 bottles and run it for 75 days straight.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You won't get to see a provisional manuscript, most (real) journals don't allow authors to do that.

iThrow

iThrow

Awards
  • Established
First time I used XF, 1 gram every day first thing in the morning (training days, I train first thing in the morning). 50 days. No GMS, no LCLT, still continued taking fish oils at the time. That run was a better run than my second run @ 1.5 grams preworkout only (I think it was 5 days lift 1 day no lift, could possibly have been 4 days lift 1 day no lift, probably the latter) w/ GMS + LCLT. The first run was a better run than the second run.

When I run it again in the future, I'm just going to stick with daily dose of 1 gram. No GMS, no LCLT. Maybe grab 3 bottles and run it for 75 days straight.
thought my post posted before i xd off the screen.. whoops.. anyway, what benefits did you see running it every day for 50 days vs the training days only? im interested especially because my lifting split is only 3-4 days per week. Knowing it take a few weeks to get integrated into the system and see results, my cycle of 50 training days is looking like 12-14 weeks :/