Diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis...need advice on supps

Sevens

Sevens

Awards
I was just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and need advice from anyone else that has used supplements that have helped manage it.
All the prescription drugs they want to put me on are evil, toxic, nasty and generally terrible for your body. I want to be able to keep lifting and remain active. Right now that is very hard when I wake up each day and can't make a fist from the joint swelling. Takes me about 10 minutes just to get out of bed and move around.
In the past I have used cissus and hyaluronic acid with some success.
Thank you in advance

B

Boomer83

Awards
Keep us posted

Let us know how you fare. Been dealing with it for years in my knee and shoulder. Both had surgeries 30 years ago and I've been searching and coping with it since. Most important, for me, is to not get complacent. I've gotta stay active, no matter what, or muscles tense right back up and swelling takes over. Overdid it this holiday with my knee. Waiting for sportsMed appt this afternoon. Even DMSO didn't touch it. Hope I don't need it drained again. Wifey's been feeding me fish oil, clean protein and healthy fats, and I've been supplementing with things like Vibe, Grand Flex (has hyaluronic acid, chondroitn, glucosamine, etc), and Cal-Mag (magnesium will allow your body to absorb and utilize the minerals). Just found this site, and others, and ordered some cissus. Bought the kind that doesn't have all the extra garbage in it (like corn starch and artificial colorings). Looking forward to seeing if my experience will be even close to the rave reviews everyone else has given. Keep us posted!

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Look into Core Flex, it's the perfect complete formula for joints and a great natural anti-inflammatory.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I was just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and need advice from anyone else that has used supplements that have helped manage it.
All the prescription drugs they want to put me on are evil, toxic, nasty and generally terrible for your body. I want to be able to keep lifting and remain active. Right now that is very hard when I wake up each day and can't make a fist from the joint swelling. Takes me about 10 minutes just to get out of bed and move around.
Thank you in advance
Formutech Flexible + 4 grams daily of a quality fish oil product.

B

Boomer83

Awards
Wow! Looks impressive. I like that it contains much of what I'm already taking (sans the black cherry, turmeric, boswellia and pepperine). I like that it's a synergistic formula. Thanks for the suggestion!
Side note: Doc says 3 days 3 Advil 3x/day to reduce inflammation and stay off leg for a week. Surprise? Not!

Addendum: I'm not totally against using Advil for a short term thing like this. I feed my belly water kefir and things like wife's homemade sauerkraut & yogurt, naturally fermented, to help offset the damage it can do to my gut. I'm out of the essential oils I had for stressed muscles, or I'd be using that too. If there's a natural remedy for pain, I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow! Looks impressive. I like that it contains much of what I'm already taking (sans the black cherry, turmeric, boswellia and pepperine). I like that it's a synergistic formula. Thanks for the suggestion!
Side note: Doc says 3 days 3 Advil 3x/day to reduce inflammation and stay off leg for a week. Surprise? Not!

I'm not a fan of advil, I remember reading an article on muscle and fitness way back about a study that was done showing taking advil getting an injury can increase healing time. Also remember reading it decreases protein synthesis, so since than I've stayed away from using it.

S

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I'm not a fan of advil
advil is simply same thing as ibuprofen, belongs to class of NSAIDs
ibuprofen has very legitimate uses, yes it reduces pain by relieving the cause of the pain ie inflammation

boomer - why would you be surprised a doctor advises this (even sarcasticly?)....pretty standard practice for the medical field, in reality, and altho I do not know full extent of your medical history and neither do I know if doc knows either, certainly something could be pushing discussion at hand out of context here for your specific scenario...

it is entirely safe when used properly and in short durations; no of course this isn't a "supplement" you will want to use extended period of time or as a "maintenance" tool

let's keep it real here fellas ....

J

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My sister has rheumatoid arthritis and lupus and takes prescription strength naproxen (Aleve). You're better off risking some reduced protein synthesis than not being able to workout at all because of the arthritis. Be realistic here

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never said to not take prescription drugs for medical conditions lol.

I simply said myself, who doesn't have arthritis btw, but does get sore joints would prefer to not depend on advil. Obviously people need to take certain medications for different conditions, but if the arthritis isn't severe and you can relieve the pain with using natural products, I'd very much rather take that route, instead of just jumping straight to advil or naproxen everyday.

S

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I never said to not take prescription drugs for medical conditions lol.

I simply said myself, who doesn't have arthritis btw, but does get sore joints would prefer to not depend on advil. Obviously people need to take certain medications for different conditions, but if the arthritis isn't severe and you can relieve the pain with using natural products, I'd very much rather take that route, instead of just jumping straight to advil or naproxen everyday.
the thread is on rheumatoid arthritis tommy....and you said the following, with no qualifications:

I'm not a fan of advil, I remember reading an article on muscle and fitness way back about a study that was done showing taking advil getting an injury can increase healing time. Also remember reading it decreases protein synthesis, so since than I've stayed away from using it.
so - thank you for clarifying your intent then

and to edify you, in addition: no short-term use of ibuprofen has any worries such as you list boldened, at all
long-term use? that is not really advised, but yes some ppl still do it

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thank you in advance
Try a turmeric or cur cumin supplement the name of the game is to reduce inflammation. Assuming your diet is in check. You may want to also check for magnesium deficiency and vitamin deficiency

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so - thank you for clarifying your intent then

and to edify you, in addition: no short-term use of ibuprofen has any worries such as you list boldened, at all
long-term use? that is not really advised, but yes some ppl still do it
Actually it's been pretty well documented that ibuprofen can impair the healing of some injuries.

Also from what I've read it seems ibuprofen does have an effect on protein synthesis if used around the time of exercise.

Not saying ibuprofen is bad, I myself would rather stick to natural products, if of course the inflammation is controllable without use of medication.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Actually it's been pretty well documented that ibuprofen can impair the healing of some injuries.

Also from what I've read it seems ibuprofen does have an effect on protein synthesis if used around the time of exercise.

Not saying ibuprofen is bad, I myself would rather stick to natural products, if of course the inflammation is controllable without use of medication.
This is true.

J

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hasn't realized there were so many experienced M.D.s on this forum...

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
personally I have seen a great improvement in my dads issues having him high dose Joint Help.
the paractin in it really helps with acute pain. combined with cissuss its a powerful duo that truly helps with joint pain and health.
u just missed a sale over the weekend that had joint help combo'd with mint infused fish oil for under 30 bucks.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
I guess I would look into something that would help with inflammation.
Fish Oils probably hit the top of the list. I use IFN Peppermint Infused Fish Oil and it has helped me with inflammation.

S

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
This is true.
aye, touché...alas, I think the issue is getting skewed

let me re-phrase: yes, ibuprofen can hinder healing in soft-tissue injuries...notice I have said all along "short-term use"..
inflammation and pain are detrimental as well - if you can use nsaids for short duration in proper context to alleviate this, then as I said you have no worries of ramifications of these studies you refer to, applying to your scenario..
(these are long-duration use studies, that you are referring to)

is there misuse of ibuprofen and nsaids in general, by laymen as well as practiced medical professionals? sure..

can short-term ibuprofen aid in relieving pain (that otherwise would preclude someone from engaging in normal daily activities)? or more importantly, reduce inflammation that hinders the healing process to begin with? (thereby making such nsaid use not only appropriate but valuable?) yes..

are we here on a forum, without a medical degree, the best qualified to run around and nay-say the medical profession or indeed the use of ibuprofen, based on these "studies" in whatever application they have been applied and dissected? or whatever article you read in some bodybuilding magazine, that perhaps compounds the slanted the view of these studies?
(rhetorical question there, no answer really needed gents..)

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Formutech Flexible + 4 grams daily of a quality fish oil product.
One of the best joint supps out there. I have a friend with same thing that swears this works. Better than the pain meds doctor gave him.

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
find a good fish oil and a joint support supplement such as Joint Help

laneanders

laneanders

Awards
I have chronic tendonitis and a recent diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis, which I've been combating for years starting in my elbows. Nothing really fixes the issues that arthritis presents, the goal is just to treat the symptoms at this point. I started doing yoga again after a 2 year hiatus, I take Joint Help + Orange Triad + Fish Oil, and I use Joint Force if the problem needs immediate relief.

I take Aleve instead of Ibuprofen, and I'm not really sure if there is a reason for that other than I just seem to feel better with Aleve. Good luck with it, and you will probably realize soon that some exercises were just not meant to be done with arthritis. My standing overhead press was probably my strongest lift and I cannot do it anymore because of the problem it generates for my elbows. Just pick and choose exercises that will not cause serious problems. I don't even do strength training anymore, just switching to a a more hypertrophy derived schema.

S

sprintsss

Banned
Awards
Thank you in advance
Do not take cissus if you have RA
i repeat do not take cissus if you have RA

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
look into getting an H-wave unit to reduce swelling and increase blood flow?