Staple overall health supplements for 50+?

rangestormer

Awards
Guys, what are some overall health supplements that people over 50+ should be taking as staple? I am wondering about this for my parents which are now crossing the 50 years mark. Omega 3 and Multivitamins are probably the obvious ones for everyone, but what else might be good?

There's a lot of info on the net, but it is hard to distinguish between what is really needed and what is pure pimpin' of products, and the AM community is the perfect source for some actual objective information.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have my folks taking joint help and heart help.
I recommend Cadence by nimbus as well
some of the ifn mint infused fish oil is a great choice also

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have my dad taking coQ10, tumeric, zinc, vitamin D3, and fish oil. His blood work has been great since starting this a few years ago. My mom likes fish oil, a multi with iron, coQ10, and ashwagandha.

Oh, I also have them both taking probiotics.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I have my dad taking coQ10, tumeric, zinc, vitamin D3, and fish oil.
This is a good list. I would add Magnesium (or get a quality Multi Mineral Supplement). I would also consider systemic enzymes.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Magnesium bothers their stomachs. I had them using a mag/calcium sup and then removed the calcium, only to find out it was the magnesium bothering them.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I honestly don't have an opinion on brands for probiotics. My parents would end up buying whatever was on sale anyway. I do agree that Swanson is great quality in general for any supplement.

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah I have been using HealthForce's Friendly Force which is a great formula but it's expensive.I took a look at Swanson and they have some great formulas.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I buy their bacopa and naringin. I find the bacopa to be the best around.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Which brand?
To be honest I am still researching what I feel might be some of the best systemic enzyme products. Source Naturals Rejuvenzyme is the only one I have any experience with but I have a suspicion that I might be able to find something a bit better without spending too much more money. Systemic enzymes are a fairly expensive supplement to dose properly so cost might come into concern here for many.

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To be honest I am still researching what I feel might be some of the best systemic enzyme products. Source Naturals Rejuvenzyme is the only one I have any experience with but I have a suspicion that I might be able to find something a bit better without spending too much more money. Systemic enzymes are a fairly expensive supplement to dose properly so cost might come into concern here for many.
I normally use NOW Digest Ultimate and comparing it to Rejuvenzymes they both have aspergillus as main ingredient.

What is the difference between the 2?
Is Digest Ultimate a systemic enzyme formula?

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I normally use NOW Digest Ultimate and comparing it to Rejuvenzymes they both have aspergillus as main ingredient.

What is the difference between the 2?
Is Digest Ultimate a systemic enzyme formula?
While there might be some compounds that are shared between a systemic enzyme formula and a digestive enzyme formula the Now product is void of any Serrapeptase, which is one of the key systemic enzymes. Also systemic enzymes are meant to be taken between meals where the compunds can be absorbed into the bloodstream as compared to being utilized to help break down meals.

Here is a link to a product and some info that got me first looking into systemic enzymes after I heard an interview with Mike Mahler where he was mentioning them. http://www.mikemahler.com/store/nutrition-supplements/systemic-enzymes.html

Mike's product may be great but I do not have any experience with it.

This product seems very similar to Mike Mahler's product. There is also some good information on their site.
http://www.astenzymes.com/exclzyme

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Joint Help would be my recommendation.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Joint Help would be my recommendation.
Interestingly enough a good systemic enzymes is said to help greatly reduce inflammation and therefore should provide benefit to achy joints.

dkgreene88

dkgreene88

Awards
  • Established
Joint Help and Heart Help, and a mint fish oil

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Here is my stack and I'm in my 20s.

• Animal Pak
  • 4g of fish oil
  • 3g of cla
  • 3g of cissus
  • gut health
  • humanabol (because of the Humanofort in it)
  • Pure Whey protein isolate, casein (for before bed), hydrolyzed or peptopro (this is for bulking time and it is not really that important at the moment).
If you can get Injectable version of curcumin and resveratrol.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Here is my stack and I'm in my 20s.

[*]Animal Pak
[*]4g of fish oil
[*]3g of cla
[*]3g of cissus
[*]gut health
[*]humanabol (because of the Humanofort in it)
[*]Pure Whey protein isolate, casein (for before bed), hydrolyzed or peptopro (this is for bulking time and it is not really that important at the moment).

If you can get Injectable version of curcumin and resveratrol.
Just curious why the CLA? I have never used it, but many report zero benefit.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Just curious why the CLA? I have never used it, but many report zero benefit.
A friend of mine literally gave me a great deal of them for free lol. I literally give my rep pay away to friends or people around me that can not afford supplements because I have so much of them. I just finished an old bottle of DCP, I have the original beta version of eviscerate before evomuse bought it. A bottle (or bottles) of erase. I bags upon bags of them. But the rest of the products I take because they actually help a great and I noticed a difference.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
List of great options

Lipid Stabil
Heart Health
Joint Help
Cadence
Talos