Some questions about BCAA for IF Keto

lioil

Awards
I read that BCAA can help hold down to muscle and it might help reduce muscle loss during dieting. I understand that IF one eats enough protein for the day BCAA wont be too useful since the amino acids are already in the body but for those who are cutting and i suppose especially Ketoers where my protein may not be the "daily suggested" quantity wouldn't BCAA be more helpful? I read some articles and forums but i can't seem to get a consistent dosage amount. One article says minimum of 9 while another says 15grams is good. The bulk supplements BCAA i bought even has 1.5g 3 times daily so i am a bit confused about this.

My feeding period is from 8am-1pm and i usually workout ~6. Not sure if this is considered fasted workout or not though? If someone can help me figure out what dosage i should use and when (pre/post workout?) that would be great! Maybe i just sip some during the day? Thanks again!

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Calculate protein intake at 1-1.5g/lb (use lean body mass so its bodyweight - bodyfat)

After this is established use the reccomendation foumd at leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html for BCAA use

lioil

Awards
i cant because that would kill my keto diet since i am ~240. I am eating ~70g protein a day right now

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Key word is LEAN body mass.

What is your estimated body fat percent?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
i cant because that would kill my keto diet since i am ~240. I am eating ~70g protein a day right now
Why would you only eat 70g??? That's too low for an infant...

Keto means higher fat not 100% fat.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
i dont know... lets say 40%? I am on a 1200 calorie diet with 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs.
Dude you're doing this all wrong. A diet that low in cals is not sustainable for more then a couple weeks without sacrificing all of your muscle and totally shutting down your hormones and any chance of fat burning.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
My body fat is 25%
Your basically causing metabolic damage by such a low intake.
Your intake is far too low and therefore you are not losing becuase you have shot your metabolism from improper dieting.

[video=youtube;QHHzie6XRGk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHzie6XRGk[/video]

lioil

Awards
Your basically causing metabolic damage by such a low intake.
Your intake is far too low and therefore you are not losing becuase you have shot your metabolism from improper dieting.
But a lot of people do keto diet no? Or are you saying my caloric is too low?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Keto is not done by a lot of people some because they respond well to it and are better on lower carbs but for a lot carbs are utilized when dieting, many use it as a last resort to get to a desired bodyfat level because their intake gets so low from a long term diet. There are many important aspects of carbs, and they are very protein sparing once protein and fat minimums are met and can aid fatloss greatly via a refeed to help boost t3, leptin, and hormone levels to increase your metabolism and cause a better weightloss/fatloss effect.

Intake = Caloric intake 1200 is just downright stupid.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Your basically causing metabolic damage by such a low intake. Your intake is far too low and therefore you are not losing becuase you have shot your metabolism from improper dieting.
Listen to this guy. He knows what he's talking about. I know him from another forum. Wayyyyy too low bro.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
As I said before and solution is echoing, keto does not mean drastically low cals.

It means low CARB but the intent is that you make up those cals with fat and protein.

At your weight and bf you should be eating at least 180-225g (at least 1-1.25g/lb of lean body mass) of protein and prob at least 2500kcals (just a very rough guess). If you're doing keto, I'd bump the protein to something closer to 1.5g/lb