Berberine and Muscle Protein Synthesis

1. Berberine and Muscle Protein Synthesis

Atrogin-1 affects muscle protein synthe - PubMed Mobile

Atrogin-1 affects muscle protein synthesis and degradation when energy metabolism is impaired by the antidiabetes drug berberine.

AuthorsWang H, et al. Show all Journal
    Diabetes. 2010 Aug;59(8):1879-89. doi: 10.2337/db10-0207. Epub 2010 Jun 3.

CONCLUSIONS: Berberine impairs muscle metabolism by two novel mechanisms. It impairs mitochonidrial function stimulating the expression of atrogin-1 without affecting phosphorylation of forkhead transcription factors. The increase in atrogin-1 not only stimulated protein degradation but also suppressed protein synthesis, causing muscle atrophy.

PMID 20522589 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Looks like bad news for berberine. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Whoa....

3. Hopefully someone can dispel this as not applicable to humans...

4. Yes, I use it and am 195lbs and sub 8%bf. It's nothing to be worried about, I know plenty of others who do. I understand the point, but you're majoring in the minors here.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

Quoting Mr.Cooper
    "Yeah I've seen this. It was demonstrated in normal mice too, but I think the key here is understanding the big picture. Yes, berberine potently induces AMPK, but in trained individuals, this will simply increase glucose flux (and subsequent glycogen storage) in muscle tissue. In the context of a high protein diet (lots of mTOR signaling) and resistance training, me thinks the effects would be rather negligible. We don't see people on berberine or metformin catabolizing ridiculous amounts of muscle tissue typically "

6. I'm guessing this is due to Berberine's effect on AMPK. I wouldn't be overly concerned.
    PES - Physique Enhancing Science

7. This issue has been beaten down

I've yet to see much in the way of muscle loss from any berberine containing product

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 04:07 PM
  2. SHR 7/29 Muscle Protein Synthesis Occurs While Fasted
    By triceptor in forum Super Human Radio
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 12:18 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 05:38 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 02:46 AM
  5. Replies: 1