Trimethylglycine and 'side effects'

Shin Sprints

Awards
Hi, I am taking 2g of Trimethylglycine (betaine anhydrous) and it seems to be having an adverse effect on me with respect to getting diarrhea.

I have been taking it for about a month and having regular toilet visits was an effect but this seemed to dissipate over time but over the last week the issue seems to have returned.

Should I stop taking it or split the dosage over the course of the day?

Thanks.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Split the dose and take with food.

Shin Sprints

Awards
Thanks.

I am taking 2g first thing in the morning on a empty stomach before working out...I will take it with food the next few days and see if it moderates.

Is 2g enough or should I dose 3x1g? Thanks.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya I'd just start with 1g twice per day with food and see how that treats you.

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's weird that the effect would return after subsiding...wondering if you had anything out of the ordinary, food or beverage wise this past weekend to have had that effect return?
But, ya agree with bolt, you can try splitting the dose up to see if that helps any...

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you have to take it on an empty stomach, take it with sodium bicarbonate.

Jakey

Awards
Damn, seems scary that I can bang back 3g on an empty stomach and not have the ****s.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Damn, seems scary that I can bang back 3g on an empty stomach and not have the ****s.
I have no issue either.

There are a few supps (Like Supersaponins) that render me volcanic. Some have issues with DAA. Sodium Bicarb really helps.

Shin Sprints

Awards
Thanks all.

Not sure why it came, went and them came back again! I don't I did anything out of the ordinary.

Anyway, I will not take it on an empty stomach and try split dosage and see how that works.

I have read it is more about 'saturation' levels in the body so I don't think the timing of the dosages should matter to me. I just don't want to be running to the bathroom on a regular basis!

Shin Sprints

Awards
Is there anything in AminoIV that might cause the issue?

I don't see that there would be as I have take BCAAs, Taurine, and HICA before.

I am just wondering as I just finished a workout and my stomach seems a touch wobbly and it was fine all morning on an empty stomach. And I ate plenty yesterday evening without any issues after my usual morning problems.

I have been taking AminoIV for a couple of weeks. I doubt that is the cause but just putting it out there.

Thanks.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wasn't aware of this, however I've never "supplemented" with sodium bicarbonate anyways.
Edit - the link I posted did not work. But the link was to a summary of articles on Ergo-log re sodium bicarb.