Looking for a good deal on whey :O

avenged43

Awards
Looking to get opinions on a good whey at a good price? Or a good whey that has some "memorial day" sale that makes it a good price ;) Just did a cut on alphamine and dropped 180 to 155 and now that the fat is gone looking to build a lean or fit muscle look. I do cardio 5 days a week with a 7:30 minute mile so something that can help me get good looking muscle without making me to heavy if possible. Thanks in advance for everyone's help

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
RXWhey sells their whey for $9 a pound and the flavoring is pretty good. Quality company.

Whole food protein should be your main source first, though.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oxy elite protein is less than 20 bucks on nutraplanet right now. It's a great blend and tastes ridiculous

hendricks_yo

hendricks_yo

Awards
less than $20 ! thats insane ! .. i better stock up ! .. that stuff is legit !!!

avenged43

Awards
Is that better then Elite XT by dymatize? They have theirs on sale 4 lbs for just 25$ right now :O let me know asap!

That and oxyelite are both on the top of the popularity on nutraplanet right now

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is that better then Elite XT by dymatize? They have theirs on sale 4 lbs for just 25$ right now :O let me know asap!

That and oxyelite are both on the top of the popularity on nutraplanet right now
I'm dot a huge fan of soy protein for various reasons but I know plenty of people that enjoy that protein

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you want a high quality powder, check out Cellucor Cor Whey. They have amazing flavors and it can usually be found by one get one half off. SAN Titanium Whey and Controlled Labs Pronom are also tasty, high quality, and can be found for a great price.

mw1

mw1

Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oxy elite protein is less than 20 bucks on nutraplanet right now. It's a great blend and tastes ridiculous
Probably going to grab this as well. The banana and Cookies a Crème are both good

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
WTF is up with everybody loving all these low quality proteins? What happen to my whey protein isolate only should contain whey isolate in it. I know it'll cost more but would you buy 73% or 80% beef? NO. Why? Because it's low quality and garbage. I'm sorry, I know I'm being mean and rude and a persian army of reps will now want to attack me with all these stuff that the quality does not matter but yes it does. Not all proteins are the same and for the love of god spend a little extra and get some good quality product. If your whey protein container mentions more than one different kind of protein then you should move on and that one protein that is listed should NOT be whey protein concentrate 80% for f@#ck sake.

Battossi

Awards
WTF is up with everybody loving all these low quality proteins? What happen to my whey protein isolate only should contain whey isolate in it. I know it'll cost more but would you buy 73% or 80% beef? NO. Why? Because it's low quality and garbage. I'm sorry, I know I'm being mean and rude and a persian army of reps will now want to attack me with all these stuff that the quality does not matter but yes it does. Not all proteins are the same and for the love of god spend a little extra and get some good quality product. If your whey protein container mentions more than one different kind of protein then you should move on and that one protein that is listed should NOT be whey protein concentrate 80% for f@#ck sake.
Protein is protein.....so to speak. In terms of body composition it won't make a great difference. My guess is less than 1 ounce of muscle if any. Comparable to meal timing.

Peppers

Peppers

Banned
Awards
There's a huge thread on this, pretty recently put up.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Protein is protein.....so to speak. In terms of body composition it won't make a great difference. My guess is less than 1 ounce of muscle if any. Comparable to meal timing.
Really? Are you sure about that? So you are saying that protein from peas and protein from beef are the same and all absorb the same amount?

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
There's a huge thread on this, pretty recently put up.
My favorite part about supplement forums and forums where like IFBB pros are and a lot of steroid talks are is that in the supplement forums some say it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you hit the calories or 6 meals a day is not important and that you should just do 3 or that protein is protein. While in those forums with guys that compete they will not purchase whey concentrate because they know it's garbage, they know nutrition timing is VERY important and that 3 meals a day can not deliver the importance of having 6 meals and that it DOES matter what you eat and that all calories are not the same. Each forum still brings something unique and I love them both but these little things in the supplement forums are things that make me go what the actual f@#ck.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
My favorite part about supplement forums and forums where like IFBB pros are and a lot of steroid talks are is that in the supplement forums some say it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you hit the calories or 6 meals a day is not important and that you should just do 3 or that protein is protein. While in those forums with guys that compete they will not purchase whey concentrate because they know it's garbage, they know nutrition timing is VERY important and that 3 meals a day can not deliver the importance of having 6 meals and that it DOES matter what you eat and that all calories are not the same. Each forum still brings something unique and I love them both but these little things in the supplement forums are things that make me go what the actual f@#ck.
Comparing the average gym user to an IFBB pro is not a good comparison.

I agree about timing and protein quality but disagree with frequency and the premise on which it is based.

In the end, a geared person using slin, GH and copious amounts of test will always have an advantage and even if they like the old school addage and follow it, of course there progress will be better.

I have guys in my gym who follow that dogma and havent gotten any bigger vs. Guys who do what works for them who make continul progress.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Comparing the average gym user to an IFBB pro is not a good comparison. I agree about timing and protein quality but disagree with frequency and the premise on which it is based. In the end, a geared person using slin, GH and copious amounts of test will always have an advantage and even if they like the old school addage and follow it, of course there progress will be better. I have guys in my gym who follow that dogma and havent gotten any bigger vs. Guys who do what works for them who make continul progress.
I'm glad we agree on the timing and the protein quality. Well the break fast and before bed is pretty important (unless your post-workout is your pre-bed meal) and then there is post workout meal. If you workout like the way those guys do (and shelby's workout are a bit brutal and with john meadows workout you'll **** your pants. My friend is working under george farah and he makes them hire a this guy for their workouts and I saw his 5 day workout plan and ****ing A. You can do all these workouts without having a pre-workout meal or on an empty stomach but you will not be able to lift as much nor will you be able to go as hard as you can). So with a true brutal workout you will need a pre-workout meal and also remember there is always cardio post-workout. Even during off season there is some cardio. So that is 4 meals right there. Every coach I've talked to or have seen their works have said at least 5-6 meals a day. I have never seen any of them be okay with 3 meals a day. It makes a difference and these guys train guys that are natural and they are monsters also.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Blends > isolates.

Why would you want an isolate?

Battossi

Awards
Really? Are you sure about that? So you are saying that protein from peas and protein from beef are the same and all absorb the same amount?
I'm saying for long term body composition it won't make much of a difference if any. Given nutrition and training are on point.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Blends > isolates. Why would you want an isolate?
So your saying whey concentrate and isolate mix is better than just isolate? In other words you are saying that mixing 73% beef with 96% beef is better than eating straight 96% beef.
I'm saying for long term body composition it won't make much of a difference if any. Given nutrition and training are on point.
No it does. If 2-3 of your 6 meals comes from shakes that is 1/3 to 1/2 of your meals. 1/2 of what you eat makes a huge difference. In the long and short run.Edit: Not just meals. The proteins for those meals. As in you get your fat and carbs from actual foods and your protein from shakes.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Looking to get opinions on a good whey at a good price? something that can help me get good looking muscle without making me to heavy if possible.
why has nobody tried to help you out with your understanding of protein?
protein is NOT going to make you "too heavy"
your overall caloric intake and the foods you choose to eat, as well as the type/amount of training you do (ie caloric expenditure) will determine that

WTF is up with everybody loving all these low quality proteins?
happens every day

they know nutrition timing is VERY important and that 3 meals a day can not deliver the importance of having 6 meals and that it DOES matter what you eat and that all calories are not the same.
true

It makes a difference and these guys train guys that are natural and they are monsters also.
correct
I've long said that all these things that the common crowd "poo poo" and write off as "no that guy is just on steroids, so what would work for him would not work for average joe", is bullsh1t
when I was training all-natural, I was doing the same things I do now on steroids - and I was still big, still looked good, and was constantly asked if I did steroids :rolleyes:

Comparing the average gym user to an IFBB pro is not a good comparison.
see - there it goes right there

I have guys in my gym who follow that dogma and havent gotten any bigger vs. Guys who do what works for them who make continul progress.
in the end jiigzz, that is totally irrelevant as well
and you forget to mention the just as MANY ppl who just do "what works for them" (so they say anyway), and they still look the same year after year (unless that is, they actually look worse)

Blends > isolates.
why?

Why would you want an isolate?
why not?
if one embraces frequent feedings thruout day, why not get top-quality isolate in? if you eat every 2.5hrs like I do, is there any need for a blend?
truth be told, I do actually use a blend when I have a shake before bed..but aside from that, it is pretty much isolates (and only at strategic times, as well)

but all this aside: we are splitting hairs
real solid food is superior to any protein powder, period
powder is certainly not a necessity, at all

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I just use 200g of bulk leucine everyday, food is over rated

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
So your saying whey concentrate and isolate mix is better than just isolate? In other words you are saying that mixing 73% beef with 96% beef is better than eating straight 96% beef.
I think you missed what he was saying
blend = casein/egg albumin/perhaps isolate or hydrolyzed whey etc...
different digestion times, with different profiles
not cheap beef mixed in with extra lean beef :D

I just use 200g of bulk leucine everyday, food is over rated
not everyone is cool like you dawg

Battossi

Awards
So your saying whey concentrate and isolate mix is better than just isolate? In other words you are saying that mixing 73% beef with 96% beef is better than eating straight 96% beef.No it does. If 2-3 of your 6 meals comes from shakes that is 1/3 to 1/2 of your meals. 1/2 of what you eat makes a huge difference. In the long and short run.Edit: Not just meals. The proteins for those meals. As in you get your fat and carbs from actual foods and your protein from shakes.
I personally believe for temporary mps a blend of whey and caisen will be the top dog but over...say...10 years? If you're micro managing and being that anal about this idk what to tell you. If you're natural and not in contest prep then I have no idea why you're worried.
You have a genetic limit and you will reach it.

If you're enhanced and are in contest prep ask your coach.

If you're enhanced and will never compete.....really? Just eat. Get what's cheap.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
why has nobody tried to help you out with your understanding of protein?
protein is NOT going to make you "too heavy"
your overall caloric intake and the foods you choose to eat, as well as the type/amount of training you do (ie caloric expenditure) will determine that

happens every day

true

correct
I've long said that all these things that the common crowd "poo poo" and write off as "no that guy is just on steroids, so what would work for him would not work for average joe", is bullsh1t
when I was training all-natural, I was doing the same things I do now on steroids - and I was still big, still looked good, and was constantly asked if I did steroids :rolleyes:

see - there it goes right there

in the end jiigzz, that is totally irrelevant as well
and you forget to mention the just as MANY ppl who just do "what works for them" (so they say anyway), and they still look the same year after year (unless that is, they actually look worse)

why?

why not?
if one embraces frequent feedings thruout day, why not get top-quality isolate in? if you eat every 2.5hrs like I do, is there any need for a blend?
truth be told, I do actually use a blend when I have a shake before bed..but aside from that, it is pretty much isolates (and only at strategic times, as well)

but all this aside: we are splitting hairs
real solid food is superior to any protein powder, period
powder is certainly not a necessity, at all
There are faults with both sides of the coin. To simply state that meal frequency is what made these guys huge is a huge oversight.

People are huge because they train smart. You can train hard all day long but at the end if the day, a poor program will yield poor results.

A good diet that meets macros and a solid training regime will produce results but to state that "because IFBB pros do it, its the only road that works" is terribly misinformed and misguided.

I agree on timing; as i perform better when I eat in a certain way but where I disagree is that you need to eat to a pre- set schedule to achieve a goal.

If it works for you, thats awesome, but everyone has their own strategy.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
There are faults with both sides of the coin. To simply state that meal frequency is what made these guys huge is a huge oversight.

People are huge because they train smart. You can train hard all day long but at the end if the day, a poor program will yield poor results.

A good diet that meets macros and a solid training regime will produce results but to state that "because IFBB pros do it, its the only road that works" is terribly misinformed and misguided.

I agree on timing; as i perform better when I eat in a certain way but where I disagree is that you need to eat to a pre- set schedule to achieve a goal.

If it works for you, thats awesome, but everyone has their own strategy.
well boldened, of course
perhaps I misunderstood specifically what you were talking about - I did not see that you were pointedly speaking on frequency issue
if anyone thinks frequency is the be-all/end-all, they are lost in the minutiae ..
I do that because it works out well for me, and is so ingrained over my many many yrs of doing so, that it is like breathing and blinking my eyes, natural and without thinking about it .. but I never have claimed that to be the "foundation" of my success or game plan

that foundation would be the quality of foods I eat (yep, it is NOT about cals in/cals out folks, or the goofy IIFYM philosophies that run rampant all over the place..), and the consistency and intensity with with I train -- and having common sense to know when I need rest to recover

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
well boldened, of course
perhaps I misunderstood specifically what you were talking about - I did not see that you were pointedly speaking on frequency issue
if anyone thinks frequency is the be-all/end-all, they are lost in the minutiae ..
I do that because it works out well for me, and is so ingrained over my many many yrs of doing so, that it is like breathing and blinking my eyes, natural and without thinking about it .. but I never have claimed that to be the "foundation" of my success or game plan

that foundation would be the quality of foods I eat (yep, it is NOT about cals in/cals out folks, or the goofy IIFYM philosophies that run rampant all over the place..), and the consistency and intensity with with I train -- and having common sense to know when I need rest to recover
Couldnt agree more. The quality of food is very important in my view as well.

I can see why IIFYM can work, but a lot of what I see is it being used as an excuse to pick poor quality food.

An IFBB pro would likely need to eat often because the sheer volume of food needed per day would be immense lol

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Snag, I'm with you on most things in regards to nitpicking, and I will also say that from a body composition standpoint (what most are after, eh?), a blend vs. an isolate may be very marginal (especially if following a diet like yours).

That being said, I think those eating 3 or so times a day get good use out of a blend. Outside of the anecdotal satiety increase in comparison to a isolate, blends do allow for a prolonged release of amino acids which also may reduce the transient spike in insulin (back to the body composition comment above - may be very marginal).

I'm sure you've read the PES Select write up or stumbled across it, but I think that was well done.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Couldnt agree more. The quality of food is very important in my view as well.

I can see why IIFYM can work, but a lot of what I see is it being used as an excuse to pick poor quality food.

An IFBB pro would likely need to eat often because the sheer volume of food needed per day would be immense lol
boldened!
and yes - I eat a decent amount of cals daily, and I'm not even a big guy lol..I don't like feeling bloated, prefer smaller meals - so, I end up eating 7-8 times per day most of the time

Lebron Gainz

Lebron Gainz

Awards
ITT: Former banned BB members myself included, hai Snags :D

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
If by blends you mean casein and whey isolate that is understandable. My problem is with all these companies that put whey concentrate in their products or have 6 different proteins blends for only 25g of protein and they sell them for the same price that I can get pure whey isolate that is micronized and that can be mixed with swirls.

A lot of people go for taste and this makes me go wtf. It takes seconds to drink a shake, tops, you should not be such a whinny baby that you need something super delicious for that 2-3 seconds that you are going to drink a shake.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
Couldnt agree more. The quality of food is very important in my view as well.I can see why IIFYM can work, but a lot of what I see is it being used as an excuse to pick poor quality food. An IFBB pro would likely need to eat often because the sheer volume of food needed per day would be immense lol
Not just the pros. I know a normal BB that works under Farah and he says during his CUTTING, which he is on right now, it takes him an hour to eat EACH meal. Shelby is different. I can eat my meal during my cutting within 2 minutes if I like. But I believe during bulking that will change (and I can not wait for it). I'm just shocked that AM has come to a place that people pick low quality proteins now and everybody loves proprietary blends and back in '09 to '10 members would bash those as far as I remember. I hope they go back to that because this forum has a lot of influences on what suppelment companies put out

ironyogi

ironyogi

Awards
nutribiotic rice protein from vitamin shop . com

23 dollars for 3 pounds. Great stuff. New studies show as effective as whey, but without the drawbacks of over consumption of dairy.

I personally get sick and constantly congested on whey, which does not happen on the rice. I can't notice any real difference as far as recovery/performance. If anything, the rice protein is a bit MORE effective.

On sale price is 23, it usually goes for around 40.

Doesn't have much flavor, I usually mix it with ovaltene or some kind of chocolate milk powder. But i mean...that's totally optional.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
nutribiotic rice protein from vitamin shop . com 23 dollars for 3 pounds. Great stuff. New studies show as effective as whey, but without the drawbacks of over consumption of dairy. I personally get sick and constantly congested on whey, which does not happen on the rice. I can't notice any real difference as far as recovery/performance. If anything, the rice protein is a bit MORE effective. On sale price is 23, it usually goes for around 40. Doesn't have much flavor, I usually mix it with ovaltene or some kind of chocolate milk powder. But i mean...that's totally optional.
Lol love to see that study.

If I'm going to buy a protein supplement the least I would want us a complete amino acid profile.

If you are intolerant to something in milk proteins then sure but don't say it would be as effective for the rest of us.

ironyogi

ironyogi

Awards
I have to get my post count up to 20 before I can submit links...hold on.

ironyogi

ironyogi

Awards
It is suprisingly legit though. I stayed away from it for years until I gave in. For one, the price is killer - but the stuff...i can't find any real difference in effectiveness to whey. Which is basically, what the study says as well. I'll be back.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
boldened!
and yes - I eat a decent amount of cals daily, and I'm not even a big guy lol..I don't like feeling bloated, prefer smaller meals - so, I end up eating 7-8 times per day most of the time
^^^THIS!!! I'll never understand eating 2000cals in a single meal... The bloating would be awful unless you're one of those competition eaters lol.

hendricks_yo

hendricks_yo

Awards
It's sooooo good and I can almost guarantee you'll never find it lower. It's even lower than what national distributors have it for
i just ordered the strawberry cheese cake .. that stuff is RIDICULOUS :)

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
^^^THIS!!! I'll never understand eating 2000cals in a single meal... The bloating would be awful unless you're one of those competition eaters lol.
I know. Even if you only eat 5oz of chicken per meal for 6 meals. If you want to eat that in 3 meals the protein alone would kind of suck. You would be heavy, then you would have that "I'm okay, not hungry but could eat" feeling, and then "OMG I need some food, now". That would suck. And if you have to eat your rice, oat meal, or any other carbs and then fat on top of all that. The bloat would suuuck so much. Splitting the meals it gives me this constant feeling and appetite rather than the highs and lows that I would get with fewer meals. Also pure carbs digest the fasted and protein and fats slow that down. So if you drink whey isolate and eat some fat your body is not going to become catabolic in 2-4 hours. That's why I only do blend before bed (which I usually just do food) or if I'm going to be traveling.