Nitrates and Cancer

MassMonster76

Awards
From what I have read nitrates help increase free radical damage and induce cancer in rats

its seems every supplement company is coming out with creatine nitrate, arginine nitrate, ect

is this something that has not been looked into or is their something I am missing to understand

thanks

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
From what I have read nitrates help increase free radical damage and induce cancer in rats

its seems every supplement company is coming out with creatine nitrate, arginine nitrate, ect

is this something that has not been looked into or is their something I am missing to understand

thanks
Take with Vit C,problem solved :)

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. Although Vit C is relatively inexpensive to use alongside nitrates to be extra sure.
Yeah, its important to take the two together as far as I understand as most diets that are high in nitrates are safe because most foods naturally high in nitrates like vegetables are also naturally high in antioxidants. http://www.nyrnaturalnews.com/heart-disease-2/2013/04/nitrate-rich-veggies-can-help-lower-bp/ The danger comes from eating a lot of nitrates in a diet that is also low in antioxidants I think

MassMonster76

Awards
thanks for all the answers its much appreciated

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The doses you are getting in these supplements are really pretty low for it to become an issue. Though you are right OP, there's some form in nitrates in every other formula of XYZ supplement on the market, so it would be wise to not stack nitrates containing products on top of each other, with or without vitamin C.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, its important to take the two together as far as I understand as most diets that are high in nitrates are safe because most foods naturally high in nitrates like vegetables are also naturally high in antioxidants. http://www.nyrnaturalnews.com/heart-disease-2/2013/04/nitrate-rich-veggies-can-help-lower-bp/ The danger comes from eating a lot of nitrates in a diet that is also low in antioxidants I think
This is true. IIRC even meat has to have added vitamin C during it's production.

I did read that somewhere lol

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is true. IIRC even meat has to have added vitamin C during it's production.

I did read that somewhere lol
They add it in meat production for processed meats mostly to 1) prevent oxidation 2) prevent nitrosamine formation 3) enhance colours and 4) prevent colour fading in the product. However, keep in mind that nitrites/nitrates in meat is contained within the product with other things that could oxidize and thus turn into nitrosamines even before you consume the product. This is very different from taking a nitrate supplement which 1) it's a relatively low dose of nitrates to begin with and 2) it's not in such a state that it's going to oxidize or turn into nitrosamines.

Vitamin C in processed/cured meats basically turns the nitrates into NO.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
Does anyone know at what dose is needed, if NAC, to prevent conversion? Or if NAC or Vit C would be the lesser if two evils since we are forced to take them pre workout?

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
Cause I seem to remember reading it would be better to avoid both, Vit C and NAC (among other antioxidants?) in a preworkout scenario.

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Cooper recommends 3-500 mg NAC with nitrates iirc

Jarrow sells a 500 mg bottle real cheap on a certain south american website if you subscribe and save

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cooper recommends 3-500 mg NAC with nitrates iirc Jarrow sells a 500 mg bottle real cheap on a certain south american website if you subscribe and save
Yeah I know for sure coops recommends vitamin C co-ingested nitrates. Never knew about NAC but glad I know now. Iirc 200mg vitamin C cap will do the fix with nitrates.

NO_HYPE

Banned
Awards
Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I know for sure coops recommends vitamin C co-ingested nitrates. Never knew about NAC but glad I know now. Iirc 200mg vitamin C cap will do the fix with nitrates.
He said there are like three studies that show that NAC increases the effects of nitrates iirc

I take both 500 mg NAC and 200 mg Vitamin C. Although maybe I could drop one since they may duplicate each others effects (?)

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
He said there are like three studies that show that NAC increases the effects of nitrates iirc

I take both 500 mg NAC and 200 mg Vitamin C. Although maybe I could drop one since they may duplicate each others effects (?)

Was I right that both Vit C and NAC prevent nitrosamine conversion?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I recommend vitamin C to prevent nitrosamine formation. The NAC recommendation is for a different reason: it potentiates the activity of nitrates. And like quadzilla linked, it is an ergogen independent of this effect. Vitamin C and NAC are both fine periworkout. The dose makes the poison. Stick to ~250mg vitamin C and 500mg NAC or less