risk of medical marijuana for insomnia?

FitnessLuke

Awards
Okay so I am a college student who needs a good working brain. On the other hand insomnia is a real problem for me and marijuana is the only thing that can fix it. It really helps me fall asleep..well I tried sleeping pills too, but they have their side effects..

Anyways I never smoke during the day..literally just before bedtime. About a small bowl few hits and a melatonin. It helps forsure, but I worry about impairing memory.

Also I smoke about 2 grams every 4-5 weeks..I would like to think that is not a heavy using, but maybe I am classified as a pothead.

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Okay so I am a college student who needs a good working brain. On the other hand insomnia is a real problem for me and marijuana is the only thing that can fix it. It really helps me fall asleep..well I tried sleeping pills too, but they have their side effects..

Anyways I never smoke during the day..literally just before bedtime. About a small bowl few hits and a melatonin. It helps forsure, but I worry about impairing memory.

Also I smoke about 2 grams every 4-5 weeks..I would like to think that is not a heavy using, but maybe I am classified as a pothead.
2 grams every 4-5 weeks??? Damn, most people burn through that in a couple days. I personally don't believe it will be an issue but gauge yourself. If you find your memory is worse or your motivation is dropping, stop smoking. Pot effects everyone differently so I can't say 100%

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Okay so I am a college student who needs a good working brain. On the other hand insomnia is a real problem for me and marijuana is the only thing that can fix it. It really helps me fall asleep..well I tried sleeping pills too, but they have their side effects.. Anyways I never smoke during the day..literally just before bedtime. About a small bowl few hits and a melatonin. It helps forsure, but I worry about impairing memory. Also I smoke about 2 grams every 4-5 weeks..I would like to think that is not a heavy using, but maybe I am classified as a pothead.
You sound fine. You aren't one of these people who burn up 7 grams in a blunt and smoke all day everyday. I used to be that guy I'm very glad I'm not anymore

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established

I smoke all the time. I'm intelligent and in great shape because I work hard.

Sure, I take risks from smoking. But I enjoy it and life is short.

FitnessLuke

Awards
2 grams every 4-5 weeks??? Damn, most people burn through that in a couple days. I personally don't believe it will be an issue but gauge yourself. If you find your memory is worse or your motivation is dropping, stop smoking. Pot effects everyone differently so I can't say 100%
I mean its hard to say if my memory is dropping because I would assume it is a slow process. Yeah I am definitely not one to burn a quarter in a day. I am too busy for that. Ive been lightly smoking like this for a couple years now, but did take a few months off, but had to start again when I got prescribed adderall.

I have always been very motivated. ..gym, work, and school. Still haven't taken longer then 9 days off from the gym in the last 5 years haha. If I ever hit a point where I dont workout maybe thats the sign I should quit cold turkey with smoking.

FitnessLuke

Awards
Like 3 years ago when I just got into it..I did abuse it, but after some time realized I dont even like being high...as weird as that sounds I just dont like it. Id rather be sober. I am always so busy and pot really does make me lazy while I am high. It also really makes me slow while high and thats why I wait till right before bedtime to smoke.

Oh and there are those who say they function fine high etc...I actually told myself that at first, but I eventually realized I was lying to myself . I do things better sobber. Everyone's brain is different, but for me I am always on the go and just cant be slowed down by brain fog. While high I am in a state of brain fog, but that fog helps me pass out

FitnessLuke

Awards
I smoke all the time. I'm intelligent and in great shape because I work hard.

Sure, I take risks from smoking. But I enjoy it and life is short.
I agree you gotta take risk, but my risk involve other things.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
I mean its hard to say if my memory is dropping because I would assume it is a slow process. Yeah I am definitely not one to burn a quarter in a day. I am too busy for that. Ive been lightly smoking like this for a couple years now, but did take a few months off, but had to start again when I got prescribed adderall. I have always been very motivated. ..gym, work, and school. Still haven't taken longer then 9 days off from the gym in the last 5 years haha. If I ever hit a point where I dont workout maybe thats the sign I should quit cold turkey with smoking.
I truly believe the memory issue only happens while stoned and it's only relevant to short term memory not long term. I used to get high and write papers, take quizzes etc and as long as I had studied far enough away from the exam I did not seem to have memory issues. As a matter of fact in some cases I remember my memory being stronger with moderate to long term memory. However, when it came to remembering where I set my phone down 5 minutes ago..not happening lol

FitnessLuke

Awards
I truly believe the memory issue only happens while stoned and it's only relevant to short term memory not long term. I used to get high and write papers, take quizzes etc and as long as I had studied far enough away from the exam I did not seem to have memory issues. As a matter of fact in some cases I remember my memory being stronger with moderate to long term memory. However, when it came to remembering where I set my phone down 5 minutes ago..not happening lol
Yes short term for me, but that is what worries me bc learning new information and all that all involves short term memory. Like you need short term memory to eventually stoee it longterm. Nonetheless I think you are right (hope you are right) that it is mainly effected while high.

bechsgaard

bechsgaard

Banned
Awards
With that little I wouldn't be worried at all, however I would consider buying a vaporizer if I were you, it's a very soothing high, perfect for sleeping, plus it saves you a crap ton of cash long term.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Yes short term for me, but that is what worries me bc learning new information and all that all involves short term memory. Like you need short term memory to eventually stoee it longterm. Nonetheless I think you are right (hope you are right) that it is mainly effected while high.
Are you buying off the street or do you have a medical card?

FitnessLuke

Awards
Are you buying off the street or do you have a medical card?
For the sake of trouble...I am totally using medical with a medical card.

Really its just some kinda dro...deff not that brick crap.

I do have a volcano style vape, but for me the high doesnt put me to sleep like smoke and takes too long..I like a pipe bc it takes like 5 seconds to smoke

FitnessLuke

Awards
I may go to my doc and get prescribed sleeping pills again...idk if thats any better

joh408

Awards
  • Established
I'd rather smoke a little instead of taking pills but that's just me

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I may go to my doc and get prescribed sleeping pills again...idk if thats any better
I just stopped taking the pills. Side effects suck and the one I was on has a common side effect of weight gain.

FitnessLuke

Awards
I'd rather smoke a little instead of taking pills but that's just me
Well thats what ive been telling myself..I should try an expiriment go for pills a month without smoking and then go for smoking no pills

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
It's much worse in almost every way including hangover for most people. If u live in a place where medical marijuana exists, you wont find anything safer if it puts you to sleep. Prescription sleeping pills are addictive and almost all that I have tried cause a hangover of some sort. Estazolam works reasonably well but still has addiction potential. Smoking anything can be bad though so if you are worried about that you can buy food with thc extracts added and eat that an hour or two before bed (although eating it can make the effects last longer so more hangover potential).

I recommend ashwagandha and relora combined with your melatonin if you wanna try something new. Or abyss unparalleled.

FitnessLuke

Awards
It's much worse in almost every way including hangover for most people. If u live in a place where medical marijuana exists, you wont find anything safer if it puts you to sleep. Prescription sleeping pills are addictive and almost all that I have tried cause a hangover of some sort. Estazolam works reasonably well but still has addiction potential. Smoking anything can be bad though so if you are worried about that you can buy food with thc extracts added and eat that an hour or two before bed (although eating it can make the effects last longer so more hangover potential).

I recommend ashwagandha and relora combined with your melatonin if you wanna try something new. Or abyss unparalleled.
Yes thats what people tell me about pills anfld why I strayed away. I was saying medical for legal reasons..of course I am legally using the marijuana (;

On a side note once I graduate I wil have to find an alternative bc every job drug tests now where I am.

I will deff try the herbs you suggested. Have u had experience with valerian root or something like that.

tyrub42

tyrub42

Awards
  • Established
Yes thats what people tell me about pills anfld why I strayed away. I was saying medical for legal reasons..of course I am legally using the marijuana (;

On a side note once I graduate I wil have to find an alternative bc every job drug tests now where I am.

I will deff try the herbs you suggested. Have u had experience with valerian root or something like that.
I tried it a long time ago and remember it sedating me quite a bit. Was like 12 or 13 years ago tho.

I don't recommend phenibut for the same reasons as prescription sleep aides. Once in awhile it is fine but not daily as it can cause serious physical addiction. Seems more recreational than anything else.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would run far and fast from phenibut.

I am a big advocate for MMJ, so my opinion is biased, but I would never choose a script sleep pill over marijuana.

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
if you stick with the indica strain you will fall asleep no prob. sativa on the other hand will lift you up. maybe try a gummy or an indica chew. they work well just take a little longer to feel effect

xam2991

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Okay so I am a college student who needs a good working brain. On the other hand insomnia is a real problem for me and marijuana is the only thing that can fix it. It really helps me fall asleep..well I tried sleeping pills too, but they have their side effects..Anyways I never smoke during the day..literally just before bedtime. About a small bowl few hits and a melatonin. It helps forsure, but I worry about impairing memory.Also I smoke about 2 grams every 4-5 weeks..I would like to think that is not a heavy using, but maybe I am classified as a pothead.
Lol. I used to smoke a gram a day dude and I still get all A's(college student also). I wouldnt worry about it man. The amount you are smoking is miniscule

FitnessLuke

Awards
I tried it a long time ago and remember it sedating me quite a bit. Was like 12 or 13 years ago tho.

I don't recommend phenibut for the same reasons as prescription sleep aides. Once in awhile it is fine but not daily as it can cause serious physical addiction. Seems more recreational than anything else.
Yes I have heard of the addiction part and wasnt sure how addicting it really is.

And yall are making me feel like I should be fine since I really am such a light smoker.

I also wish I could knowingly get indica, but I dont have the luxury of knowing if it really is pure hybrid etc..

joh408

Awards
  • Established
You smoke medi but can't pick your strain?

joh408

Awards
  • Established
Ah well that went over my head. Live in Colorado so I'm used to everyone who smokes having a med card

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
I also wish I could knowingly get indica, but I dont have the luxury of knowing if it really is pure hybrid etc..
not sure what ur saying here but indica is not a hybrid, hybrid is a mixture of the 2 strains.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He is just saying that he doesn't know what he is getting. Unless you grow it or live in a state that you can legally purchase it, there is really no way to know what you are buying.

FitnessLuke

Awards
Exactly like you can deff get dank, but most names are b.s..or I dont trust that it really is what its name after.

Screw fellow colorado people...so jealous. I still wouldnt smoke a lot, but its just b.s its legal a few states away. My state you get caught and basically f all your chances of a nice office job..its a sad story really. Like you ruin your life with the criminal record aspect of it.

lionessbody

Awards
That's the same boat I was in in college. Screw adderall. It just creates more issues in the long run. I'm now of the belief that there are plenty of pants that do the job of big pharm. MUCH safer. Check into rhodiola rosea root for attention issues. If you get one that has some caffeine thrown in it's like a Limitless pill. Then just cycle that with your morning and midday during the week with a good 1/2-full bowl at night. On weekends (when focus isn't as needed) switch to valerian root and hops (yeah, like beer) and lower your smoke. This keeps you from getting too used to any one thing so you don't have to keep upping.
EDIT: the NOW brand (hyperlinked) doesn't do much for me. I personally take nutrilite because it 100% dissolves in water, meaning 100% absorption, from organic farms. Their ratios are way more effective too.

FitnessLuke

Awards
That's the same boat I was in in college. Screw adderall. It just creates more issues in the long run. I'm now of the belief that there are plenty of pants that do the job of big pharm. MUCH safer. Check into rhodiola rosea root for attention issues. If you get one that has some caffeine thrown in it's like a Limitless pill. Then just cycle that with your morning and midday during the week with a good 1/2-full bowl at night. On weekends (when focus isn't as needed) switch to valerian root and hops (yeah, like beer) and lower your smoke. This keeps you from getting too used to any one thing so you don't have to keep upping.
EDIT: the NOW brand (hyperlinked) doesn't do much for me. I personallyi take nutrilite because it 100% dissolves in water, meaning 100% absorption, from organic farms. Their ratios are way more effective too.
I know adderall is pretty terrible, but lets be real..the focus it gives is pretty amazing. I have tried many nootropics and nothing compares to adderall as far as motivating you etc..that being said there are many risk that come with it. That is why I take high dose of magnesium to attempt in protecting my brain from reprograming(so to speak). I did want to give that rhodilio root. I wasmt sure if it was worth the money though. I am affraid I will become too dependant on adderall to even study. Like I can see how it reprograms your brain etc..
That being said ima give myself 2 months off from it this summer.

Hops and valerian is something ive always wanted to try...any particular type of hops that work best?

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree you gotta take risk, but my risk involve other things.
Like what, surprise drug tests?

I smoked through university without problem. Just don't smoke and try to study or take a test.

Otherwise, smoking occasionally is fine.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
For the sake of trouble...I am totally using medical with a medical card.

Really its just some kinda dro...deff not that brick crap.

I do have a volcano style vape, but for me the high doesnt put me to sleep like smoke and takes too long..I like a pipe bc it takes like 5 seconds to smoke
Lol

For the sake of trouble...

Turns out they were gonna bust you for that post but you got out of it on a technicality. Clever! Lol

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know adderall is pretty terrible, but lets be real..the focus it gives is pretty amazing. I have tried many nootropics and nothing compares to adderall as far as motivating you etc..that being said there are many risk that come with it. That is why I take high dose of magnesium to attempt in protecting my brain from reprograming(so to speak). I did want to give that rhodilio root. I wasmt sure if it was worth the money though. I am affraid I will become too dependant on adderall to even study. Like I can see how it reprograms your brain etc..

Hops and valerian is something ive always wanted to try...any particular type of hops that work best?
Adderal is meth's little cousin. I'm serious, look it up.

Retard kids love adderal and are afraid of pot.

FitnessLuke

Awards
Lol

For the sake of trouble...

Turns out they were gonna bust you for that post but you got out of it on a technicality. Clever! Lol
Lets just say I was once stupid with m.j...got in trouble with the law. Luckly with thousands and thousands of dollars spent I was able to expunge my whole criminal record. It was a b.s process...80 hours community service and random piss test. Before I got my record expunged I had a hard time getting basic retail jobs.

Just for having a few grams on person. The fun deff didnt weigh out the risk, but through the whole process I learned that m.j wasnt all that fun at all. I discovered I liked being a part of society sober better. I liked the gym better sober too (for the most part)..now, I also woulda probably realized this even without going through the whole b.s process of getting caught lol.

Anyways a little off topic there...but risky drugs like alcohol seem to be worth the risk, bc Its a heck of a lot more fun getting hammered with your buds and groups of ppl...haha

Weed makes me more timid and and kills my game with the women

Oh and btw I was really just worried bc even though I make two grams last forever, I am still smoking on the daily. Technically I am a pot head.

FitnessLuke

Awards
Adderal is meth's little cousin. I'm serious, look it up.

Retard kids love adderal and are afraid of pot.
I know its jusy a mythel bond away, but there are other factors like you arnt inhaling adderall (causing rapid release of dopamine) I am also taking a much much lower dose then a meth user. Still damaging yes, but with the right precautions and strategic planning you can limit the damage done. Now if youre a kid who started on meds since elementary your brain is f'd. Like its prob permanently wired to be used to using the drug. Luck me I just started 6-7 months ago and I will do everything I can to limit the damage done.

lionessbody

Awards
I know adderall is pretty terrible, but lets be real..the focus it gives is pretty amazing. I have tried many nootropics and nothing compares to adderall as far as motivating you etc..that being said there are many risk that come with it. That is why I take high dose of magnesium to attempt in protecting my brain from reprograming(so to speak). I did want to give that rhodiola root. I wasmt sure if it was worth the money though. I am affraid I will become too dependant on adderall to even study. Like I can see how it reprograms your brain etc..

I like the idea of fasting off of the adderall all summer. You could count it as part of a cycle lol. Hops is hops as long as it's clean. You can even mix it in with your bud. There's a hippie that sells herb blends down by the college that's hops, chamomile, and some other misc. crap (like sage) that you split with your flowers. pretty cool relaxation that way. And if you vape it you can use the loose leaf for food source later :) just a thought. but I enjoy smoking for the time constraint. I seem to always be in a rush hauling 18hr days.
oh you can cushion the uptake on your adderall with some good omega 3s too, just to keep your omega 6s from making ADHD worse.

EDIT/PS: youre right. You will rewire your brain if you don't cycle off of it. I haven't been on meds in over 2 years by finding natural alternatives. Currently running Nutrilite Rhodiola 110 (×2/d, focus), pes erase (2-3/d, for cortisol and excess estrogen), a valerian and hops blend from Nutrilite (×3/d on weekends) and a shut ton of b complex. Plus 1/2 bowl 2x/d. With chamomile occasionally. The withdrawals from.cycling on and off of adderall weren't worth it so I might be a bit less focused, but my dyslexic brain feels freer.

hurdlemaker

hurdlemaker

Awards
  • Established
Lots of good advice on here. You're not a pot head btw. Smoking at night to help u relax and sleep is not being a pot head. I am a pot head, have been for about ten years. In that time I've acquired two degrees and opened two successful companies among other things. Pot hasn't slowed me down at life. Everyone is different tho, I can smoke all day and not be too negatively effected, some people smoke and can't leave the house. The job risks and laws in ur state are other issues. I would def recommend the valerian root, it works great for helping u relax and fall to sleep. You should be cycling that melatonin, ur brain will start producing less over time if you stay on it nightly. If you want a more complete sleep product that works well try "sleep optimizer" by jarrow or "lean dreams" by alr. They both work very well.

FitnessLuke

Awards
Lots of good advice on here. You're not a pot head btw. Smoking at night to help u relax and sleep is not being a pot head. I am a pot head, have been for about ten years. In that time I've acquired two degrees and opened two successful companies among other things. Pot hasn't slowed me down at life. Everyone is different tho, I can smoke all day and not be too negatively effected, some people smoke and can't leave the house. The job risks and laws in ur state are other issues. I would def recommend the valerian root, it works great for helping u relax and fall to sleep. You should be cycling that melatonin, ur brain will start producing less over time if you stay on it nightly. If you want a more complete sleep product that works well try "sleep optimizer"I by jarrow or "lean dreams" by alr. They both work very well.
I will deff look into those as well thanks buddy.

I think I came to the conclusion im not like you said. I musta been smoking a miniscule amount bc after taking 2.5 weeks off I just passed an at home drug test with a 50 nanogram cutoff. That was also my first pisss of the day, so thc concentration woulda been the highest

hurdlemaker

hurdlemaker

Awards
  • Established
Are you relatively lean? The lower your bodyfat the more quickly you should be able to pass a test. I've passed a swab test before three days after smoking heavily. It's supposed to be more accurate than a pee test, but I really don't think so.

FitnessLuke

Awards
Are you relatively lean? The lower your bodyfat the more quickly you should be able to pass a test. I've passed a swab test before three days after smoking heavily. It's supposed to be more accurate than a pee test, but I really don't think so.
Very lean and workout a lot

Like I already passed the at home drug test this moral of the story I must have not had much in my system to be able to get clean in 2.5 weeks.