Paleo Gurus. Question

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I read this on Paleo Hacks.

This accurate? (was researching the perceived Paleo diff between a yam and a sweet potato-no,I don't take anything that serious. Was just reading)

And for those without autoimmune problems, I see no problem with anyone having a reasonable amount of well cooked regular white potato. I use one everyday as part of my carb backloading post workout meal. The anti-nutrients and bad stuff in white potatoes is mostly in the skins (so don't eat them) and what's inside is reasonably well broken down by lots of cooking.

Touey

Touey

Awards
antinutrients are compositions natural/synthetic which bully nutrients and interfere with their absorption kind of like Rowdy Roddy Piper

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting that the GI for a yam is 54 and for a sweet potato it's 70. A baked white potato is 111.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've always been a staunch believer in the same- the skin is also always the part that contains the good stuff.

I eat a ton of raw nuts. With this, I began reading about how "soaking them was recommended" etc and delved into ....WHY?

After reading all the reasons (many of which actually seem to make sense), I still don't soak them. Lol. I guess I'm too lazy. Lol

Back OT: Antinutrients are natural or synthetic compounds that interfere with the absorption of nutrients. Phytic acid, Lectins, Oxalic acid and Saponins are just a few of the main culprits.

xhrr

Awards
I hate paleo and I'm the head trainer/partial owner of a Crossfit box. Hardcore paleo(ers) are a bunch of fear mongerers.

Maybe hate is a strong word but I hate when people feel the need to tell me they are paleo like it is an ethnicity or religion. Paleo is a good template for those with no grasp of adequate nutrition and I advocate it to those people but once you become a well conditioned athlete with an appreciable amount of muscle mass you need more than paleo to perform optimally.

Basically don't sweat small minute details. You will never catch me soaking nuts.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
antinutrients are compositions natural/synthetic which bully nutrients and interfere with their absorption kind of like Rowdy Roddy Piper
What a beautiful post. A+++++++++!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I hate paleo and I'm the head trainer/partial owner of a Crossfit box. Hardcore paleo(ers) are a bunch of fear mongerers.

Maybe hate is a strong word but I hate when people feel the need to tell me they are paleo like it is an ethnicity or religion. Paleo is a good template for those with no grasp of adequate nutrition and I advocate it to those people but once you become a well conditioned athlete with an appreciable amount of muscle mass you need more than paleo to perform optimally.
I'm not a fan of their elitist mentality either.