97 w/Hepatitis, 3 Transplants, and 1 Dead

S

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
Yikes. I've heard about different stuff but wow. Is this changing anyone's opinion of usp? I just bought a bunch of their protein, I realize it was a different product but Holy fuk.

bechsgaard

bechsgaard

Banned
Awards
Holy ****, I have a bad liver to begin with, I can't imagine what would have happened had I chose OEP instead of ECY stack. :/

Looks like usp labs is another company off my list of ever buying from again..

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Both tt750 and compound 20 came with broken pills.

I knew their QA sucked, but this adds insult to injury.

S

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
Forgive my potato understanding of this. .. But hepatitis is do to contamination of product or simply they think the algaelin(sp) caused liver stress? Someone explain hepatitis for dummies and whether this is an isolated product issue or a sanitation problem? At work so can't do much research. Brb sipping on oeprotein while reading this.

M

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This issue was brought up awhile back and I remember people were going crazy cause of it because of PES' use of the same ingredient (aegeline) and then there were rumors (or truths, I don't know) of how PES/USP Labs were the same or "sister companies". I don't remember what the conclusion was (if it was the aegeline or problem with raws)

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No one actually got any issues of a PES product or USPLABS Versa-1? That's what i'm confused about.

A

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
Makes you think twice about pounding down supps by the mouthful. You never really know...

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Class action lawsuit USPlabs to death.

I understand we take some risk using supplements, but damn..

Cary K

Cary K

Awards
Class action lawsuit USPlabs to death.

I understand we take some risk using supplements, but damn..
Right, but we as consumers of the product trust that company that they have tested it already and it is 100%.

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
I think it's more contamination then algaelin. I can't understand how one ingredient could cause the problems in just one specific area of the country .

PES enhanced contained it and I ran through 4 tubs and never had any issues.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"sickening nearly 100 people in 16 states since it was first reported in Hawaii last year, according to a new paper. "

U

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"sickening nearly 100 people in 16 states since it was first reported in Hawaii last year, according to a new paper. "
Well they are quoting lawsuits as fact not facts as facts.

You can believe a Yahoo article...it is the world we live in...Evidence later or never.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well they are quoting lawsuits as fact not facts as facts.

You can believe a Yahoo article...it is the world we live in...Evidence later or never.
They are actually quoting CDC reports, in an article summarizing a paper published in the New England Journal of Medicine:

"By February 2014, the CDC had linked 97 cases, resulting in 47 hospitalizations, three liver transplantations, and one death, to OxyElite Pro."

I understand USP is working with the FDA to investigate the issue though.

Reactions: mw1
U

USPlabsRep

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They are actually quoting CDC reports, in an article summarizing a paper published in the New England Journal of Medicine:

"By February 2014, the CDC had linked 97 cases, resulting in 47 hospitalizations, three liver transplantations, and one death, to OxyElite Pro."

16 states?

S

squirtguns89

Awards
  • Established
16 states?
Now that I'm over my consumer emotional reaction, I recall this being old news and I thought people were pretty aware of why oep was pulled.

I don't expect you to comment on the validity of why it happened, but can we safely assume the quality and cleanliness of everything being sourced currently from products like your protein is top notch? Id hope/expect you'd do everything in your power to avoid something like this again if there was hypothetically past issues.

C

chris223

Awards
  • Established
I missed the part of that CDC report where it explains how aegeline causes liver damage. I'm sure it's in there, though, so someone explain it to me. Because I've yet to see it. Could be that all the aegeline I've consumed over the past year has dulled my senses.

D

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I haven't even seen an alleged way that aegeline would cause liver failure. It seems likely to me that given the batch specific and product specific nature of some of the recalls/illness that it was one specific batch of raw materials that was responsible for the issue.

If that's the case, it's obviously USPlabs fault for having poor quality control. But it seems exceedingly unlikely that there is something specific too aegeline that is causing this.

If there was, then you'd hear about liver failure in India just from eating too much baal fruit.

Assuming the legal matters are settled privately as is normal, there will probably be non disclosures signed which means unless someone involved releases info, we might never know.

Studies on aegeline have been published since the issue happened, without noting toxicity in animals.

reps4jesus

reps4jesus

Awards

Is this issue with the new oep to? I have a bottle of the old stuff bought from a company with good reviews and everyone who has boughten from this batch seems to be fine

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Two sides to this coin - in the early 2000's Usnic Acid caused liver damage in many people. There was at least a mechanism of action and it was logically narrowed to this chemical. Still, thousands of people took it without a problem, while some had problems. There was a risk involved and many people did not understand this risk.

On the other hand, the reporting for this is kind of archaic. If someone shows up at the doctor's and has any disease or dies, they look at what was in the person's system and reports of what they were taking before the incident and report it to the CDC. So, if I show up dead tomorrow, there will possibly be a report sent in that says, "Dead body - Vitamin C". Does this mean that Vitamin C killed me? Hardly. It is good to know if all of a sudden 100 people show up dead and they all took the same brand of Vitamin C because you can look for issues - but it is quite a jump to say, "Stop taking vitamin C - all these people died from it!"

Obviously Vit. C is an extreme example, but hysteria is easily induced when the chemical becomes more "exotic" in the eyes of the consumer - usnic acid (sounds bad!), aegeline, ma huang, etc.

I think the bottom line is, it pays to be educated and you could be playing with fire and not even realize it. On the other hand, you could be playing with fire and actually not get burned either.

B

burpees

Banned
Awards
supplement companies cite a couple rat studies, buy the raws from who knows where maybe China and formulate a product

crossing there fingers the whole time.

supplement companies roll the dice all the time, they take risks
especially when competition is up there neck

we are trusting a complete stranger
these companies can be making these products in a crystal meth lab for all we know lol

its crazy when u think about it,

most of these "cutting edge" products are shots in the dark
they dont know whats going to happen when a human takes it just as much as we do.

logs to a new product = those clinics that pay u to be a lab rat for a new prescription drug.
and most of these logs are people scared to tell the truth because they got hooked up with free stuff lol

bono1132

bono1132

Awards
supplement companies cite a couple rat studies, buy the raws from who knows where maybe China and formulate a product

crossing there fingers the whole time.

supplement companies roll the dice all the time, they take risks
especially when competition is up there neck

we are trusting a complete stranger
these companies can be making these products in a crystal meth lab for all we know lol

its crazy when u think about it,
Yeah! And they reformulated c20 so booooooooooo!

D

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not sure, but even the isolated batch in Hawaii hypothesis doesn't seem that plausible to me. Hawaii has about 1.39 million inhabitants - the US 316 million, so by extrapolating these numbers USPLabs would have made 227 batches for the US alone. A number that large seems rather unlikely to me.

Obviously they could have produced a very small batch for Hawaii alone, but why would they do something like that?!

There have been reported liver failure cases after aegeline use outside the US too by the way.
Well, the recalls extended to other products and other company's products too. Also, they didn't recall all of their aegeline products like Versa-1. If it was Aegeline causing the issue and not a raw materials thing, I would have thought they would have recalled every batch of every aegeline product for fear of more issues?

The specificity of the recall is the main reason I go back to the batch thing.

I guess the other possibility with that specificity is that there were hot batches being put out....but I wouldn't imagine a company the size of USPLabs would think that was worth the risk.

Touey

Touey

Awards
The thing is people worry about crap like this but load up on research chems without a care in the world....Ironic
that is not true people do worry about research chems the trustworthy sites are few and far between

Touey

Touey

Awards
that is not true people do worry about research chems the trustworthy sites are few and far between
to get what one pays for whatever it be as long as it be what one does choose to purchase nothing else nothing less nothing more is the principle of trust among seller and buyer the good be what it may

iThrow

iThrow

Awards
  • Established
man oh man... Ive heard of various deaths/sicknesses from a type of supplement such as ephedera... but to have one product do this much damage..? :/

MultiVitamin

MultiVitamin

Awards
I ran 2 Versa-1 bottles back to back (so I think 8wk) plus had Enhanced as my pre

Holy faurk. Forreal tho, I think the batch thing is the most logical, because I do not have hep nor have I been hospitalized.

Scary **** nonetheless, makes you step back for a second and really consider what it is you're using, and who it is that's producing it.

ericool007

ericool007

Awards
  • Established
kind of scary, most likely a bad batch, i hope they figure out what the contaminant was that caused this because i doubt its aegeline.

C

chris223

Awards
  • Established
man oh man... Ive heard of various deaths/sicknesses from a type of supplement such as ephedera... but to have one product do this much damage..? :/
Wow, you actually think ephedrine ever killed anyone . . .

Still waiting for someone to explain the mechanism by which aegeline causes liver failure.

B

burpees

Banned
Awards
Wow, you actually think ephedrine ever killed anyone . . .

Still waiting for someone to explain the mechanism by which aegeline causes liver failure.

Has nothing to do w/ Aegeline

it has to do with the horrible quality control some supplement companies have.

this is a case of a bad batch of Aegeline slipping thru the cracks.