A new study on 10 g pure L-Citrulline (not malate) - AnabolicMinds.com

A new study on 10 g pure L-Citrulline (not malate)

1. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

A new study on 10 g pure L-Citrulline (not malate)

Someone go take 4 scoops of High Volume and report back if your pumps are superhuman like

L-citrulline Improves Splanchnic Perfusion and Reduces Gut Injury during Exercise.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

Splanchnic hypoperfusion is a physiological phenomenon during strenuous exercise. It has been associated with gastrointestinal symptoms, intestinal injury, and may hamper athletic performance. We hypothesized that L-citrulline supplementation improves splanchnic perfusion and decreases intestinal injury by enhancing arginine availability. The aim of this study was to determine the effect of L-citrulline intake on splanchnic perfusion, intestinal injury and barrier function during exercise.
    METHODS:

In this randomized, double-blinded crossover study, ten men cycled for 60 min at 70% of their maximum workload after L-citrulline (10 g) or placebo (L-alanine) intake. Splanchnic perfusion was assessed using gastric air tonometry. Sublingual microcirculation was evaluated by sidestream dark-field imaging. Plasma amino acid levels and intestinal fatty-acid binding protein (I-FABP) concentrations, reflecting enterocyte damage, were assessed every 10 min. Urinary excretion of sugar probes was measured to evaluate intestinal permeability changes.
    RESULTS:

Oral L-citrulline supplementation enhanced plasma citrulline (1840.3±142.3 μM) and arginine levels (238.5±9.1 μM) compared to placebo (45.7±4.8 μM and 101.5±6.1 μM, respectively; P<0.0001), resulting in increased arginine availability. Splanchnic hypoperfusion was prevented during exercise following L-citrulline ingestion (reflected by unaltered gapg-apCO2 levels), whereas gapg-apCO2 increased with placebo treatment (P<0.01). Accordingly, L-citrulline intake resulted in an increased number of perfused small sublingual vessels compared with placebo (7.8±6.0 vs. -2.0±2.4; P=0.06). Furthermore, plasma I-FABP levels were attenuated during exercise following L-citrulline supplementation compared to placebo (AUC0-60min -185±506 vs. 1318±553 %; P<0.01). No significant differences were observed for intestinal permeability.
    CONCLUSION:

Pre-exercise L-citrulline intake preserves splanchnic perfusion and attenuates intestinal injury during exercise in athletes compared to placebo, probably by enhancing arginine availability. These results suggest that oral L-citrulline supplementation is a promising intervention to combat splanchnic hypoperfusion-induced intestinal compromise.
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  188 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

20g L-Cit... I dunno

I almost read the placebo as L-arginine.. would of been lulz
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Interesting read. Apparently nitrates have similar benefits.

http://m.ajpgi.physiology.org/content/303/2/G155.long

and COX-1 inhibitors are a big no-no.

Wondering what other supplements would be limiters of GI bloodflow
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I always preferred just straight cittulline over CM this is why I like High Volume and I use it at 3 scoops. 4 seems a but excessive imo.
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"   lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by ericool007 View Post
    I always preferred just straight cittulline over CM this is why I like High Volume and I use it at 3 scoops. 4 seems a but excessive imo.
    That's some high volume - high volume lol. You sip that intra or champ it all down before?
    Athletix Representative
    Orbit Nutrition Representative;
    Use the code SOCIAL for 10% off your order at Orbit!
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Driven2lift View Post
    That's some high volume - high volume lol. You sip that intra or champ it all down before?
    All before with A scoop and a half of alphamine. And I just started adding in a few KNO3 to it and I must say it's been a good experience thus far.
  7. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

For those who don't understand, during exercise there is a massive redirection of bloodflow to exercising muscle tissue, leaving the GI tract devoid of adequate circulation. This study is basically demonstrating that l-citrulline is such an effective vasodilator that it can allow full perfusion (blood flow) throughout the body, even when demands on skeletal muscle are high.

So use your citrulline
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    For those who don't understand, during exercise there is a massive redirection of bloodflow to exercising muscle tissue, leaving the GI tract devoid of adequate circulation. This study is basically demonstrating that l-citrulline is such an effective vasodilator that it can allow full perfusion (blood flow) throughout the body, even when demands on skeletal muscle are high.

So use your citrulline
    Natty and coop in the same thread eh? My speculation senses are tingling.

Do I forsee the next PES pre containing L citrulline??
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  9. Board Sponsor

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Dr Lopez still says he prefers CM. I don't recall his reasoning though. He advises a lot of high level athletes, and conducts a lot of highly regarded supplement research fwiw.

http://www.appliedhealthsciences.org...or-l-lopez-jr/
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Gut Pump by SNS? Sounds not all that sexy
  11. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Natty and coop in the same thread eh? My speculation senses are tingling.

Do I forsee the next PES pre containing L citrulline??
    It's possible but not as of now. It's a great ingredient regardless

Quote Originally Posted by Royd The Noyd View Post
    Dr Lopez still says he prefers CM. I don't recall his reasoning though. He advises a lot of high level athletes, and conducts a lot of highly regarded supplement research fwiw.

http://www.appliedhealthsciences.org...or-l-lopez-jr/
    In all my research I could never really see the use for malate in bodybuilding. Perhaps in intense endurance events though
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  12. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'8"  167 lbs.

i noticed this multiple times.. from pres with just L-Cit.. jack3d micro/ritual, pumps were always better alongside agmatine and nitrates compared to cit malate with agmatine and nitrates
  13. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    It's possible but not as of now. It's a great ingredient regardlessIn all my research I could never really see the use for malate in bodybuilding. Perhaps in intense endurance events though
    Indeed regarding CM. Also, good explanation regarding the study.
    PES
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://facebook.com/pescience
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. New study on Testofen
    By ryansm in forum Supplements
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 10:08 AM
  2. New Study on Increasing Your Bench Press
    By HealthBlitz in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 15