When to take BCAA's?

miguel1991

Awards
Hi I wanted to know when is the best time to take BCAA's? I have them in capsule form as it is a more convenient way for me to take them. Ive heard people aaying take them the morning of your workout, pre and post workout. Does anyone know the optimum time for taking these in capsule form?

Also can i take these on non-training days and would it have any advantages?

amarula

Awards
The best time should be periworkout (before, during, after) but you'll benefit more from them if your diet is in check. You can take them on non-training days to aid recovery

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
In my opinion, the best time to utilize them would be pre-workout before training fasted.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i use compete intra workout...but before that i used bcaa intraworkout only

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
roblasane

roblasane

Awards
Pre - workout and intra(assuming you have a powdered amino). If you don't eat a solid meal after your gym time I would use them post workout as well.

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
I like to take Pre, intra and before bed

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pre workout if you're working out in a fasted state or in between meals that are 4-6 hours apart.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Hi I wanted to know when is the best time to take BCAA's? I have them in capsule form as it is a more convenient way for me to take them. Ive heard people aaying take them the morning of your workout, pre and post workout. Does anyone know the optimum time for taking these in capsule form?

Also can i take these on non-training days and would it have any advantages?

Take when doing faste cardio, intra workout, or long period of times when your not in taking your protein or eating it.

iThrow

iThrow

Awards
  • Established
take it before you workout if: Training fasted/havent had a solid meal, lacking protein, doing cardio
take intra if: (its in powder or take immediately before you workout)
take post if: you cant get a solid meal in, you need extra protein, you could use extra recovery
take anytime if: You need additional recovery because of DOMS.

just my two cents! I usually have aminos in a powdered form which i drink during my workout.

packers6211

packers6211

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi I wanted to know when is the best time to take BCAA's? I have them in capsule form as it is a more convenient way for me to take them. Ive heard people aaying take them the morning of your workout, pre and post workout. Does anyone know the optimum time for taking these in capsule form? Also can i take these on non-training days and would it have any advantages?
Def post workout and pre. I actually take mine when i wake up with my breakfast, right after training, and bed time. I notice a huge difference in recovery when i stick to it.

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
Any time of day is effective

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Any time of day is effective
I don't really see usefulness (my opinion of course) for BCAA's intra. I believe there is some literature that shows it may be decent for fighting fatigue given Leucine's potential effect on tryptophan in the brain, but I'd rather have the bolus of BCAA's pre fasted workout if anything.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Aminos:

I drink that **** when I'm thirsty

Actually.

Pre intra and post for me at 5-10g each time

And then I between meals

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
I also take Amino IV between meals, besides the benefits the cherry limeade tastes amazing!

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I also take Amino IV between meals, besides the benefits the cherry limeade tastes amazing!
?
EAA products are frankly a waste. Whey protein has been proven more effective at equivalent doses from an MPS standpoint
?
Neither are useful intraworkout, and all the research examines pre and post-workout bolus doses. For preworkout dosing, BCAA>EAA>Whey (if immediately preworkout), otherwise, go with Whey+Leucine postworkout.
?

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice brush-off

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Cooper probably just changed his mind based on new research

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Do you ever stop the personal digs? This is getting ridiculous.

Have you bothered reading the Amino IV writeup (this is a rhetorical question, I know you lack scientific introspection)? The sources cited for the merit of EAAs are from within the last year. My comments were also taken out of context from where they were initially posted so congrats on that too. Kindly leave me out of your future posts, I never say anything to you (besides defending myself and PES) yet you constantly go out of your way to make these underhanded posts. No doubt a lot of searching went into finding those old posts (don't pretend it didn't), so it's clear you have an infatuation...but in this case, the love in unrequited ;)

I've been trying to stay out of drama but posts like this just keep pulling me back in.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
And just to review the quoted posts and address how you took them out of context:

I said protein powder is superior to EAAs. It is. I didn't say it's superior intraworkout...good lucking sipping on your protein shake all workout.

I said all the available data says BCAAs are better than EAAs if taken preworkout. This is true. I also said it's better to take whey+leucine postworkout. Oh wait, isn't that how we formulated PES Select? Man, I sure was off the mark with those comments!

So again, quoting these posts is meaningless besides wasting your time, my time, the time of everyone reading this thread, and god knows what else. I'll happily take constructive criticism, but wasting everyone's time is destructive.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Do you ever stop the personal digs? This is getting ridiculous.

Have you bothered reading the Amino IV writeup (this is a rhetorical question, I know you lack scientific introspection)? The sources cited for the merit of EAAs are from within the last year. My comments were also taken out of context from where they were initially posted so congrats on that too. Kindly leave me out of your future posts, I never say anything to you (besides defending myself and PES) yet you constantly go out of your way to make these underhanded posts. No doubt a lot of searching went into finding those old posts (don't pretend it didn't), so it's clear you have an infatuation...but in this case, the love in unrequited ;)

I've been trying to stay out of drama but posts like this just keep pulling me back in.
I lol at the people who pull up Stuff Layne preached 5 years ago, and then try to give him stuff for it

Welcome to modern society
Research is ALWAYS changing

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I lol at the people who pull up Stuff Layne preached 5 years ago, and then try to give him stuff for it

Welcome to modern society
Research is ALWAYS changing
I agree. The thing is, in this case, my opinion didn't even change. He took my posts out of context with respect to preworkout/postworkout dosing

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
And as new research shows up we always skew what we thought we knew based off what new research shows