Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
This 'guide' has been made to answer some commonly asked questions about Ara that have populated the board as of late. This is by no means and end-all-be-all guide to Arachidonic Acid but rather to serve as a point of reference to those looking to use Ara.

Q1: What is Arachidonic Acid and how does it work?

Arachidonic acid, or Ara for short, is an Omega 6 fatty acid found in the phospholipids of a body's cells (Human + Animal). Arachidonic Acid allows for the production of eicosanoids which are signalling molecules that exert control over inflammatory and immunity pathways. The greater the amount of Arachidonic Acid in the body, the more eicosanoids are produced and the greater the inflammation.
It is through these Eicosanoids that the majority of benefits seen with Arachidonic acid and its effect on body composition are noticed and the reason why anti-inflammatories (which downregulate eicosanoid synthesis) are typically avoided around consumption of Arachidonic Acid.

There are multiple subgroupings of Eicosanoids which are:

-Prostagladins
-Thromboxanes
-Lipoxins
-Leukotrienes

An an increase in production of eicosanoids will lead to an increase in the above. We however, are only seeking an increase in the prostaglandins and desire to limit the conversion of Ara into the other three (more on this later).
An increase in the prostaglandins PGE2 and PGF2a bought upon by Arachidonic Acid supplementation stimulates muscle protein synthesis after a bout of exercise.

In essence, via a lot of complicated pathways, Arachidonic Acid --> Exercise --> PGF2a + PGE2 = GAINZZZ

Q2: Isn't promoting inflammation bad?

If it is systemic inflammation that occurs over a long period of time, then this is bad, however a cycle of Arachidonic acid will only increase localized inflammation of the muscle tissue where it is directed. This is known as localized inflammation and not systemic inflammation.

Q3: How can I maximise my Ara cycle?

As explained above, Arachidonic Acid allows for the production of eicosanoids which also includes amplifying an increase thromboxane formation. The idea of inhibiting this pathway is to allow for more Ara to be converted to prostaglandins and prevent/limit platelet aggregation and vasoconstriction bought upon by thromboxane production. To counteract this, a low dose aspirin (81mg) or Carnitine salt is often suggested. The reason a low dose aspirin is used over a higher dosed aspirin is because the lower dose will not affect the CoX-2 pathway in which Arachidonic acid works but it will deactivate Cox-1 and thus reduce thromboxane formation.

It is also suggested that Ara be taken with Glycerol Monosterate (GMS) to emulsify the Ara (breakdown fat globules into smaller, more uniform particles).

It is also suggested to take Arachidonic Acid either completely fasted or 45 minutes Pre-workout. The reason for this is that both scenarios favour the depositon of Ara into skeletal muscle which is what we want (for its effects on building muscle). Pre-workout is favoured even more as eicosanoid biosynthesis begins when a body cell is activated by mechanical trauma, or in this instance, exercise. Ara also has the ability to act as a vasodilator which further solidifies its use pre-workout. Avoid taking with food as insulin will deposit Ara in adipose tissue and the effects of the compound will be wasted.

If a pre-workout meal is part of your routine; supplementing with Ara after a decent warm-up may be the next best option.

Carnitine dose recommended: 2g of either LCLT, PLCAR, ALCAR or other forms of carnitine salt
GMS dose recommended: ~6g
Aspirin dose recommended: <81mg. Note that you use EITHER aspirin or Carnitine as they both do the same thing.

Q4: Can I still take my Intra-workout drinks while using Ara?

The short answer is yes. Even if insulin was secreted during exercise it would be more sensitive to muscle cells however exercise raises phsiological levels of epinephrine which inhibits insulin release during exercise.

Q5: What is the 'ideal' cycle duration and when do I use Ara?

We recommend cycles lasting no longer than 50 workout days. It was previously recommended that cycles last 50 total days when dosed everyday. This falls in line with the safety studies and other trials done on Ara where dosing was performed everyday for 50 days. We now recommend that Ara be taken pre-workout only as this environment will ensure Ara distribution into skeletal muscle tissue.

Q6: What stacks well with Ara?

Almost anything! You name it, it probably work well with Ara. There are a few exceptions that will be listed further down, however.

Feel free to add other suggestions below or chop and change your own recommendations.

Q7: Should I avoid anything while using Ara?

There are some things that should be avoided whilst using Ara. These include:

-Omega 3's. These counteract Ara in 3 primary ways:

1) Displacement: Omega 3s are shown us that they are able to decrease tissue concentrations of Ara, and while this is a good thing long term, it is counter intuitive of Ara supplementation.
2) Competitive inhibition: Both fight for COX and LOX enzymes, which means that fish oil supplementation will lower the eiconasoids you actually want increased, notably series 2 prostagladins.
3) Counteraction: Fish oil produces eiconasoids that directly counteract some of those produced by Ara. For example, PGE1 is increased with fish oil supplementation, which counteracts PGE2 - one of the primary mechanisms in which Ara works for muscle growth.

-NSAID's. These inhibit CoX-2 which is the primary pathway in which Ara exerts its anabolic effects. Ergo, using a CoX-2 inhibitor will make your Ara almost worthless

-Anything anti-inflammatory. Cissus, Fish oil etc should all be dosed 4+ hours away from Ara or omitted from the cycle altogether

Q8: What is the recommended dose of Ara?

There is no 'one size fits all' approach to Ara. Dosages typically range from 1000mg to 2000mg, however lower and higher amounts still seem to produce good results. I recommend starting lower for your first cycle to get the best bang for buck. If you workout 3 days or less, it may be wise to start higher (1.5g+) rather than at the lower dosage. If working out 2 days or less, taking on off days is suggested.

Dose on workout days only if working out 3 or more days per week. Dose prior to a single session, or split the dosage when doing 2-a-days. I would advise against going higher than 2g per day from a cost:benefit perspective.

Q9: Any reasons Ara isnt for me?

If you suffer from any inflammatory condition, Ara use may exacerbate the issue therefore its best to seek medical advice before beginning a cycle.

If you are prone to sore joints, start lower and work up only if Ara does not exacerbate the issues. It may also be wise to avoid combining supplements that also promote sore joints.

A basic Ara set up stack:

1-2g Ara + 6g GMS or 15g Soy Lecithin granules + 2g Carnitine salt or <81mg Aspirin is a great starting point.

Where to get Arachidonic Acid:

Ara is found standalone in the supplement "X gels"

References: (in no particular order)

1. Contribution of meat fat to dietary arachidonic acid. [Lipids. 1998] - PubMed - NCBI
2. Comprehensive evaluation of fatty acids in f... [J Am Diet Assoc. 1976] - PubMed - NCBI
3. Arachidonic acid - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com
4. Eicosanoid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
5. http://eurheartjsupp.oxfordjournals.org/content/3/suppl_D/D42.full.pdf
6. Mr.Cooper69 ( used as a base for how Ara works and what to use with it)
7. IronFist / neuron (the 'god father'of the new dosing strategies - all the dosing, science and other bits of info can be traced back to neuron)
8.http://ajpcell.physiology.org/content/271/6/C1781.short

The above is essentially a compiled list of data and information that I take no responsibility for discovering- it is simply all the info in one thread for easier reference

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
this wasn't proof read before submitting so if I have gotten anything wrong or have omitted any important information then let me know.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Very good idea, this was needed here.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice work!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I should make a section to outline a basic stack.. i'll do this now

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks for this informative writeup. I've been considering this product for a while now. May try it sooner than later.

MultiVitamin

MultiVitamin

Awards
Post this before, but for what it's worth..

The standard ArA cycle would contain;
1-2g ArA (1.5g seems to be the sweet spot)
2g LCLT (or some form of carinitine)
3-6g GMS

-----------------------

Advanced Cycle:
1-2g ArA
2g LCLT
3-6g GMS
2-5g HCA
4caps ABE

Each having their own reason, of course.

Carnitine would would inhibit ArA being broken down into thromboxanes, enhances lipid packaging and enterocyte (lymphatic) absorption

GMS enhance emulsification in attempt to kinetically enhance the delivery of ArA to the enterocytes, and then to the lymphatics

HCA will aid in cellular uptake of extra ArA

Anabeta Elite (via the ingredient Lodhra Bark) going to inhibit ArA being broken down into luekotrienes

Good thread. Hopefully you can get a sticky

Hyperfluxe

Awards

I've been looking for something like this for a while. I vote we sticky this, it will stop the large influx in daily ArA threads.

EDIT: quick question, you say that ArA needs to be taken fasted or 45min preworkout. If I lift at 11am but finish eating breakfast by 8:45, am I good to go? I usually pop 400mg caffeine/400mg l-theanine and 2g betaine about 45mins preworkout, so I should take the ArA will all this stuff?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I've been looking for something like this for a while. I vote we sticky this, it will stop the large influx in daily ArA threads.

EDIT: quick question, you say that ArA needs to be taken fasted or 45min preworkout. If I lift at 11am but finish eating breakfast by 8:45, am I good to go? I usually pop 400mg caffeine/400mg l-theanine and 2g betaine about 45mins preworkout, so I should take the ArA will all this stuff?
You could take the Ara closer to your workout at say, 10.45 to maximise its chances of making it into skeletal muscle

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
It'd be best to avoid this stuff if you have a chronic inflammatory condition such as psoriasis or rosacea. I don't do this because I have rosacea and I have a hard enough time managing it as it is. All indications are that it works though and neuron's thread on bb.com about it is legendary

Quadzilla99

Quadzilla99

Awards
  • Established
Speaking of neuron a shout out should be thrown to him since this is his self-invented protocol pretty much

SpongeTom

Awards
  • Established
Amazing post! Thank you so much for this.

Could you please clarify this for me,
Q4: What is the 'ideal' cycle duration and when do I use Ara?
We recommend cycles lasting no longer than 50 workout days.

So that I'm 100% clear, if I work out 3 times a week then from day 1 til the final day I use it, ~16-17 weeks will have passed?

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Amazing post! Thank you so much for this. Could you please clarify this for me, Q4: What is the 'ideal' cycle duration and when do I use Ara? We recommend cycles lasting no longer than 50 workout days. So that I'm 100% clear, if I work out 3 times a week then from day 1 til the final day I use it, ~16-17 weeks will have passed?
That's correct (at 1g a workout).

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Awesome stuff.

Additions: Add Neuron as a reference, add Ara+Compound 20 (lodhra bark) to the potential stacks

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
I'd read elsewhere to avoid taking GDA's with ArA, yet I have seen MN Accelerant suggested as a great stack with it... yet this is advertised as having GDA properties (albeit not the same as the likes of Recompadrol), so just wondering if it's OK to take or not?

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
Great post!! ArA stacked with LCLT and Micronized GMS has quickly become my favorite stack.

-Matt

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
Who has an empty stomach 45 min before a workout? If you do your peri workout nutrition is lacking. Any way sounds like there is a lot of crap you have to do to make this stuff work. I just want to pop a few pills and get Uge

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Who has an empty stomach 45 min before a workout? If you do your peri workout nutrition is lacking. Any way sounds like there is a lot of crap you have to do to make this stuff work

A large majority of people lift in the morning, fasted.

And don't forget about the IF crowd.

If it seems impractical to you don't use it, but we love it.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Great write up bro! I have a feeling this is going to be a staple on the front page :)

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Who has an empty stomach 45 min before a workout? If you do your peri workout nutrition is lacking. Any way sounds like there is a lot of crap you have to do to make this stuff work
I train fasted every morning. And although it may be more beneficial to consume ArA away from any insulin response (insulin may "guide" [for lack of better term] ArA to adipose vs muscle tissue), exercise mitigates insulin production.

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
Well I drink a HBCD di and tri peptide drink intra workout and eat a pre workout meal so does that mean its a waste for me to take it?

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established

A large majority of people lift in the morning, fasted.

And don't forget about the IF crowd.

If it seems impractical to you don't use it, but we love it.
No they don't, You trying to tell me the gym is more packed a 5am then it is all the hours of the rest of the day combined? More like a small minority.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No they don't, You trying to tell me the gym is more packed a 5am then it is all the hours of the rest of the day combined? More like a small minority.
You've derailed threads before please don't derail this threads jiigzz worked hard to make for all of us. If you have specific questions to ArA usage please feel welcome to ask in this thread otherwise make a new thread for arguing or take it to PM.

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
You've derailed threads before please don't derail this threads jiigzz worked hard to make for all of us. If you have specific questions to ArA usage please feel welcome to ask in this thread otherwise make a new thread for arguing or take it to PM.
I've done no such thing but OK

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Added Neuron to the list. I had only used information from this board + examine and a few studies I had on file and completely forgot Neuron was the originator of much of what we recommend now.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Excellent information Jiigzz! Thank you for taking the time to write that!

On a side note, is creepy of me that I have been doing an extensive google search of you to see what you look like? Lol
Muahaha, outside of facebook i upload very little, if any, pictures.

Goodluck :)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Definitely not here to argue about peri workout nutrition but I would like some input/suggestions as I too Consume a pre wo shake consisting of oats and protein at 315am train at 4 30 am where I Consume HBCDs and BCAAs.

Great thread Jiigzz for sure!

I'm assuming it's pointless for people like me to even take ArA?

Thanks

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Well I drink a HBCD di and tri peptide drink intra workout and eat a pre workout meal so does that mean its a waste for me to take it?
I should add a part about this. I'll update it now

nemix

Awards
Should have a sticky with links to threads like this for different types of supplements. There are some that we don't know enough about but something like this is pretty much accepted and to the best of our knowledge.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Definitely not here to argue about peri workout nutrition but I would like some input/suggestions as I too Consume a pre wo shake consisting of oats and protein at 315am train at 4 30 am where I Consume HBCDs and BCAAs.

Great thread Jiigzz for sure!

I'm assuming it's pointless for people like me to even take ArA?

Thanks
If you focus on peri workout nutrition like I do, then the best plan is to buy supplements that work in with your workouts rather than the other way around (I know you know this, i'm just answering this for lurkers). In your case, you could take it closer to your workout or even intra (after a warm-up perhaps) to maximise it's effects.

As for intra-workout stuff, i've updated the OP but that wont impact the Ara's effectiveness.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Excellent post, this will be of great help to X-Factor X-Gels and Animal Test customers!

So many great ArA products out these days, and the safety study released yesterday by University of Cambridge is the icing on the cake!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Who has an empty stomach 45 min before a workout? If you do your peri workout nutrition is lacking. Any way sounds like there is a lot of crap you have to do to make this stuff work. I just want to pop a few pills and get Uge
This is fast becoming a very proven supplement. I will add that this thread is about 'maximising' its effectiveness rather than an end-all-be-all. A lot of people have used Ara in other ways and had good results.

also remember that products containing yohimbine or its alkaloids are more effective when fasted; so if you're using those then adding in Ara would be a great idea as you should ideally be fasted anyway.

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
Good information as always.

Thanks for clearing that up as well.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
This is fast becoming a very proven supplement. I will add that this thread is about 'maximising' its effectiveness rather than an end-all-be-all. A lot of people have used Ara in other ways and had good results.also remember that products containing yohimbine or its alkaloids are more effective when fasted; so if you're using those then adding in Ara would be a great idea as you should ideally be fasted anyway.
I know im using x gels right now. I'm also using intra workout casein hydro and HBCD plus I eat a pre workout meal so fasted isn't really an option for me. The only time I'm really fasted is first thing in the am

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I know im using x gels right now. I'm also using intra workout casein hydro and HBCD plus I eat a pre workout meal so fasted isn't really an option for me. The only time I'm really fasted is first thing in the am
Intra wont affect it so thats ok. How is the run going?

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
Intra wont affect it so thats ok. How is the run going?
Nice, Im using a ton of other crap so its hard to tell but as long as its backed by research thats good enough for me. My overall gains are unbelievable literally.

STA

Perfect timing with this thread, I just checked my order status and my X-Gels will be here Thursday!!! So here is my question, I usually have a pre-workout cocktail of 4g beta alanine, 6g citrulline malate, 200mg caffeine (and occasionally I will include 750mg agmatine sulfate). Should I discontinue this and only use X-gels and alcar or can I keep taking my normal pre-workout drink along with the x-gels and alcar? Forgive my ignorance on this subject

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Perfect timing with this thread, I just checked my order status and my X-Gels will be here Thursday!!! So here is my question, I usually have a pre-workout cocktail of 4g beta alanine, 6g citrulline malate, 200mg caffeine (and occasionally I will include 750mg agmatine sulfate). Should I discontinue this and only use X-gels and alcar or can I keep taking my normal pre-workout drink along with the x-gels and alcar? Forgive my ignorance on this subject
If you can afford it I would continue the same protocol. Get ready for some mind blowing pumps. AAS like really.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Very similar to my pre-workout mix. Keep it in and the combination will blow your mind.

STA

^^^ Perfect thanks gents. One more question. So should I dose the ArA+ALCAR 45 minutes out then my normal pre-workout like I always do (about 15 minutes pre?) or take it all 45 minutes before

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
^^^ Perfect thanks gents. One more question. So should I dose the ArA+ALCAR 45 minutes out then my normal pre-workout like I always do (about 15 minutes pre?) or take it all 45 minutes before
Option 1, should treat you well