Carbonyx or Glycofuse

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Instead of just straight EAA's I have been experimenting with IntraWO carbs lately and am looking at giving one of these two products a try. Can anyone shed some light on which one of these might be a better option IntraWO. I think the HBCD (Glycofuse) might be a better option than the HDP in Carbonyx.

Does anyone know the HDP and HBCD breakdown of Carbonyx?

Thanks for the feedback.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think Carbonx (VPX) is probably more versatile as it would be suitable pre, intra, and post or just adding into shakes for an MRP. GlycoFuse is more geared towards pre and intra since all it has in it is the HBCD. That would be my estimation.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I think Carbonx (VPX) is probably more versatile as it would be suitable pre, intra, and post or just adding into shakes for an MRP. GlycoFuse is more geared towards pre and intra since all it has in it is the HBCD. That would be my estimation.
Thanks for the reply. I completely agree with your comments. That is how I view the best use of the two products as well. I was just wondering if I was looking at them the wrong way.

It does seem HDP would be a good carb choice for an MRP but I am not sure if it would be a good choice intra or of the HBCD would be a better chocie intra.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the reply. I completely agree with your comments. That is how I view the best use of the two products as well. I was just wondering if I was looking at them the wrong way.

It does seem HDP would be a good carb choice for an MRP but I am not sure if it would be a good choice intra or of the HBCD would be a better chocie intra.
I'm pretty certain that HDP is a slow digesting carb (I could be wrong, so if it's not, someone please chime in) whilst HBCD is a fast digesting carb. For peri-workout, I prefer and see fast carbs as being the way to go thus I consider GlycoFuse good for peri-workout but doesn't make much sense for let's say a MRP (though it could be used for that purpose if your concern is entirely based on calories).

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
I have been very pleased with Glycofuse thus far. Never used Cabonyx myself so I cannot comment.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty certain that HDP is a slow digesting carb (I could be wrong, so if it's not, someone please chime in) whilst HBCD is a fast digesting carb. For peri-workout, I prefer and see fast carbs as being the way to go thus I consider GlycoFuse good for peri-workout but doesn't make much sense for let's say a MRP (though it could be used for that purpose if your concern is entirely based on calories).
HDP is slow(er) digesting but fast absorbing into the intestine.

However when I read the info on HBCD it is also touted as having a quick gastric emptying time (ie. fast absorbtion into the intestine) and a sustained relase of glucose into the bloodstream (I read that again as slow(er) digesting)

Both are touted as having a very high molecular weight and low osmolarity. HBCD has an average molecular weight of 160,000 Da. I cannot find this MW of HDP.

I'm starting to wonder if they are not so different in the real world application on them?

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HDP is slow(er) digesting but fast absorbing into the intestine.However when I read the info on HBCD it is also touted as having a quick gastric emptying time (ie. fast absorbtion into the intestine) and a sustained relase of glucose into the bloodstream (I read that again as slow(er) digesting)Both are touted as having a very high molecular weight and low osmolarity. HBCD has an average molecular weight of 160,000 Da. I cannot find this MW of HDP. I'm starting to wonder if they are not so different in the real world application on them?
Interesting... The fancy chart on the back of the Glycofuse label I recall showing rate of absorption being super quick though... So, maybe I'm just misremembering. I haven't looked at that chart in months :pFound it on the GlycoFuse ad copy. So what they are suggesting is that the product has fast gastric clearance so ultimately the product at least is being advertised as a fast absorbing carbs source.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
So what they are suggesting is that the product has fast gastric clearance so ultimately the product at least is being advertised as a fast absorbing carbs source.
Fast absorbing because it can clear the stomach much quicker than many other carb sources. Once in the intestine I am unsure if it is any quicker than any other carb source and to be honest I'm not sure how important speed of absorption can vary once a carb source reaches the intestine?

FWIW - I have read on at least one piece of literature that HCBD is not designed to cause a large rise in insulin or glucose (I will add that I am of the opinion a "spike: is not necessary).

Also FWIW - There is research that provides information showing HDP exibits less of a glucose and insulin rise than a standard waxy maize product.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Although I'm no big on intra-workout carbs, I will chime in to say that Glycofuse tasted delicious when I tried a tub of it. Glycofuse + EAA's would be good intra if that's your goal.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fast absorbing because it can clear the stomach much quicker than many other carb sources. Once in the intestine I am unsure if it is any quicker than any other carb source and to be honest I'm not sure how important speed of absorption can vary once a carb source reaches the intestine?

FWIW - I have read on at least one piece of literature that HCBD is not designed to cause a large rise in insulin or glucose (I will add that I am of the opinion a "spike: is not necessary).

Also FWIW - There is research that provides information showing HDP exibits less of a glucose and insulin rise than a standard waxy maize product.
This is very interesting... So the two may very well be similar in use then... I will be honest, the only reason I use GlycoFuse is because I train first thing after I wake up and I don't have any pre-workout nutrition. Plus my workouts averages 2 hours minimum (depends on the split for that morning, but I'm always doing splits) and I'm in the gym pretty much every day (5 days lift, 1 day treadmill). So I take it just to have something very light in my system and it doesn't make my gut feel funny (I've tried the protein shake pre workout as well as intra, sometimes it's ok, sometimes it doesn't feel so good). I take it with my aminos intra. I also have some BCAAs or at least HICA pre mixed in with my preworkout (been using Bioshock so, that kind of is one stop shopping as a pre for me). I will have to dig into these different carb sources further...

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I also train first thing in the moring. Sometimes I do a small whey/oat (25g of each) shake preWO and sometimes I do not have the time and/or don't have the appetite for it. I have always comsumed EAAs intraWO but only in the month or so I start adding 25g of Glycofuse to my EAAs and it has made a huge difference in my workouts and it does taste fantastic which is an additional benefit.

I'm just tryingt to figure out the difference between HDP and HBCD. I'm curious if HDP is not a good choice of an intra carb as compared to HBCD? Or are they very similar to one another? I would also like to know the amount of HDP and HBCD in Carbonyx but I don't think this informaion is available.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
This is taken from the manufacturer of a HBCD

"Cluster Dextrin® works similar to other types of carbohydrate ingredients, but has its advantage in building muscle, burning fat and delivering constant energy. Typical macromolecular carbohydrates are less soluble than Cluster Dextrin®, however, low molecular carbohydrates exhibit higher osmotic pressure, as does pure glucose solution. Cluster Dextrin's gastric emptying time is incomparable because of its capabilities to quickly reach the small intestine and allows for a quick ramp-up of endurance. Solubility is a main factor of Cluster Dextrin's functioning.

. Most sports drinks contain carbs with a low molecular weight. These enter the bloodstream quickly, and the body responds by rocketing insulin secretion which, in turn, obstructs the burning of fat. High molecular weight Cluster Dextrin® degrades slowly, balancing insulin secretion with lipid breakdown.

Quick to empty the stomach but slow to degrade in the intestine. To me this sounds very similar to the information on HDP.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If it ramps up endurance quicker wouldn't that suggest that it gets into circulation quicker? I'm confused.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
If it ramps up endurance quicker wouldn't that suggest that it gets into circulation quicker? I'm confused.
I agree that it is confusing. Maybe the point they are trying to make is that since it is able to get into the intestine quicker than, according to them, any other carb source it can begin absorption sooner and supply energy sooner than any other carb source would?

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I agree that it is confusing. Maybe the point they are trying to make is that since it is able to get into the intestine quicker than, according to them, any other carb source it can begin absorption sooner and supply energy sooner than any other carb source would?
From what I understand, gastric emptying rate prevents even simple carbs to be absorbed quickly enough for things like endurance sports. It has to leave the gut and into the intestines before it absorbs. So if they can force it to bypass that step, you can have faster absorption. I could be wrong, haven't dug in too much on the subject. But the idea here that I understand is that these altered dextrine ingredients are highly branched so that the gut basically senses that it can't do much to break it down and this allows it to pass to the intestines. But when they hit the intestines, they are structured in such a way that the intestine can easily break them down to be absorbed?

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to bring this back to the top to see if there is any more thoughts on this topic.

What are the thought on an HDP as a carb source Pre/Intra/Post workout?