Thyroid regulation supplements

luckylefty811

luckylefty811

Awards
  • Established
Hey,

Before my wife decides to get prescriptions for her thyroid is there anything that is safe to try before we go that route? her thyroid is slow according to her test results and the doctor wants to try some prescriptions to regulate it.

Piledahlaren

Piledahlaren

Awards
  • Established
try kelp with l-tyrosine, seems to help my thyorid

luckylefty811

luckylefty811

Awards
  • Established
Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The amount of information for thyroid disorder available on the internet is limitless. You could research this for years and learn something new every day...

luckylefty811

luckylefty811

Awards
  • Established
The amount of information for thyroid disorder available on the internet is limitless. You could research this for years and learn something new every day...
Yea I know it's spinning my head right now. I figured maybe somebody has used something that has worked and it would cut down all this info.

harbonah

harbonah

Awards
  • Established
Go with the combination T3/T4 if you go the script route. With out going into to much detail the data i have seen suggests this route is more satisfying for the clients who do.. and ncbi has some interesting studies on it. If your concern is that it may cause hypothyroidism that is a very slim chance if her output is normal.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
This is not the place to get your answer. The most common cause of hypothyroidism in the US is Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which will not be helped by any OTC supplement. Listen to her doctor as he has the full history

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
This is not the place to get your answer. The most common cause of hypothyroidism in the US is Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which will not be helped by any OTC supplement. Listen to her doctor as he has the full history
Here's someone who knows what they're talking about and to take advice from.
The only thing that I would add is to do some research yourselves, specifically on methylation and other factors that can influence thyroid function. Also, treatment options should not be limited to only synthetic thyroid.

luckylefty811

luckylefty811

Awards
  • Established
Thanks fellas we go back Thursday so I'll see what he says.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just make sure your wife avoids supplements with carnitine in them.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Just make sure your wife avoids supplements with carnitine in them.
Why is this?
Just new to me and I'm always up to learn

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
L-carnitine can improve symptoms of hyperthyroidism, but doesn't impact serum TSH. It should be absolutely avoided if you have hypothyroidism.
Even medicated?

Alcar doesn't effect t3.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Yes, I would still avoid it.
Good to know... I was diagnosed with mild hypothyroidism just recently, and use a fair amount of ALCAR

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good to know... I was diagnosed with mild hypothyroidism just recently, and use a fair amount of ALCAR
If you're getting your TSH tested regularly and everything is good, you're fine. I have hypothyroidism and use ALCAR, but I just monitor my levels every 8 weeks to make sure all is well.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
If you're getting your TSH tested regularly and everything is good, you're fine. I have hypothyroidism and use ALCAR, but I just monitor my levels every 8 weeks to make sure all is well.
Again good to know, thank you

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No problem, let me know if you have any other questions.

The hormonal responses in the animal models that study references do not directly generalize to humans.
I agree, however , thought I'd put it out there

I would also believe its all dose dependant as well

I don't like going over a gram maybe 1.2g tops

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree, however , thought I'd put it out there

I would also believe its all dose dependant as well

I don't like going over a gram maybe 1.2g tops
Of course, feel free to post anything else you know about the topic. Yes it would certainly be dose dependent. I don't use it often, but when I use ALCAR, I usually use over 2 grams.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
The bottom line is that carnitine can disrupt the efficacy of your medications in one way or another. You never want to confound what the doctor has laid out for treating an illness, at least not without letting him know

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
how much ALCAR is alright? im on like 2g in morning then 2g pre

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Interesting info regarding thyroid and alcar. Kind of feel like I shouldn't have bought those 2 bottles of alcar last week. Doh!

test112

Awards
  • Established
I thought carnitine's influence on thyroid function was in blocking some of the hormones from entering cells, rather than influencing their production and/or conversion.

Whatever the case, should people with normal thyroid function be at all concerned about using carnitine? Could something like olive leaf help offset any issues?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I thought carnitine's influence on thyroid function was in blocking some of the hormones from entering cells, rather than influencing their production and/or conversion.

Whatever the case, should people with normal thyroid function be at all concerned about using carnitine? Could something like olive leaf help offset any issues?
Bump for the olive leaf question.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Interesting info regarding thyroid and alcar. Kind of feel like I shouldn't have bought those 2 bottles of alcar last week. Doh!
Guess this bottle of adipose annihilation will go to waste too... Bummer.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I know this is old stuff, but since this thread just got bumped....
great statement coop, I am confounded by the incessant advice of laymen on the forums who advise this/that for thyroid regulation, let alone as an adjunct for fat-loss, freely and carelessly
the aim of the masses to self-medicate & self-diagnose their issues in the land of OTC supplements, while somewhat laudable in theory, is almost always a fail in practice

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've got hypo but not hashimotos. Rare case.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I've got hypo but not hashimotos. Rare case.

Did you use exogenous T3/T4? Many Bbers who abuse t3/t4 (not saying you did of course) get secondary hypothyroidism, which is indeed rare. So rare, in fact, that the lab diagnosis of hypothyroidism, which is elevated TSH, would completely miss secondary hypothyroidism (which has depressed TSH)

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Guess this bottle of adipose annihilation will go to waste too... Bummer.
Your fine using it. It was t related to this carnitine salt. I didn't find anything specific to alcar. Just carnitine.

I understand same parent molecule but different salts have different affects

If you have a thyroid issue diagnosed. Please pm me. And do not waste your bottle. Pm me I'll see what I can do.

Thanks