BCAA - Pre Workout or Intra

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Curious for those that use BCAA's, when do you take it?

I personally use them intra but in doing some research, it has been recommended as a Pre to kind of flood the system.

Thoughts?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strictly BCAAs, pre-workout.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Couple different ways I think about it (pros/cons):

Pre-workout - may be used primarily for fasted training or when protein hasn't been consumed for an extended time to spike MPS (3-4g of leucine will do the trick). Some will say to not use intra as there's no point to sip.

Intra-workout - may be used as a way to fight fatigue via increase plasma levels of BCAA's which may in turn lead to a decrease in the amount of Tryptophan that is transported to the brain.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been a fan of using bcaa's intraworkout for awhile now, but i technically use them preworkout as well

Humapro tabs only 2 tabs preworkout

Compete mixed with recoverpro is what i've been doing intraworkout

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Depends on when the last meal was prior to working out, and the workout length.

If you are fasted I would always down half or all of your BCAAs just before working out.

For a long session, intra workout BCAAs can improve endurance/reduce fatigue.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I drink mine pre/during and post.
this works
but also as was mentioned, depends on what all else your format/pre-nutrition looks like..same can be extrapolated to the postWO timeframe .. for this reason, one cannot go wrong consuming them them intra

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Awesome suggestions, think this week will do PWO + 1/2 scoop BCAA and the other 1/2 sipped while working out seeing that I life first thing in the morning fasted

ion26

ion26

Awards
  • Established
Before fasted workouts, or if I have extra laying around I'll drink it a few hours after each big meal.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Couple different ways I think about it (pros/cons):

Pre-workout - may be used primarily for fasted training or when protein hasn't been consumed for an extended time to spike MPS (3-4g of leucine will do the trick). Some will say to not use intra as there's no point to sip.

Intra-workout - may be used as a way to fight fatigue via increase plasma levels of BCAA's which may in turn lead to a decrease in the amount of Tryptophan that is transported to the brain.

This...
Take them pre for fasted training or dose intra-workout between meals that were 4-6 hours apart: (allow protein levels to reach refractory stages before being spiked again) layne also noted this several times in his lecture this weekend at the arnold Classic.

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Ag-Food-Ind-Hi-Tech-2008.pdf
http://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/optimal-protein-intake-and-meal-frequency-to-support-maximal-protein-synthesis-and-muscle-mass
http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/protein_size_&_frequency.pdf

Interview i did with layne where he chimes in a bit on this

http://www.machinemuscle.com/layne-norton-interview/

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pre workout if training on a empty stomach and intra all the time.

5g pre
5g intra

10g if no pre

Simple

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Depends on when the last meal was prior to working out, and the workout length.

If you are fasted I would always down half or all of your BCAAs just before working out.

For a long session, intra workout BCAAs can improve endurance/reduce fatigue.
This...

I've gotten into fantastic shape without them. Endurance athletes get the most out of it.

Otherwise:
- Solid Pre-Workout Meal
- Workout 60-90 min later
- 45 min workout
- Post-Workout nutrition

Nailed it

Monte Brogan

Monte Brogan

Awards
  • Established
This...
Take them pre for fasted training or dose intra-workout between meals that were 4-6 hours apart: (allow protein levels to reach refractory stages before being spiked again) layne also noted this several times in his lecture this weekend at the arnold Classic.

http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Ag-Food-Ind-Hi-Tech-2008.pdf
http://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/optimal-protein-intake-and-meal-frequency-to-support-maximal-protein-synthesis-and-muscle-mass

Interview i did with layne where he chimes in a bit on this

http://www.machinemuscle.com/layne-norton-interview/
Terrific links; thanks for sharing. Excellent material.

Monte

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have to agree with pre, during and post as well.

Normally I'll also getting a solid meal about an hour before training a shake about twenty minutes post training and a solid meal about forty five minutes after the shake.

Some people will say this is a waste of BCAA/money but I will say rather safe then sorry.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I have to agree with pre, during and post as well.

Normally I'll also getting a solid meal about an hour before training a shake about twenty minutes post training and a solid meal about forty five minutes after the shake.

Some people will say this is a waste of BCAA/money but I will say rather safe then sorry.
Just curious what is the purpose of a full meal, the some more BCAA's right after, more intra, and then a shake + Meal in a span of an hour (post-workout)
you never ever allow protein levels to reach refractory stages, and even when in a fed state a meal would never digest in 1 hour. Totally defeats the purpose of muscle protein synthesis especially since your are constantly elevating amino levels not to mention protein from the pre-workout meal would still overlapping into the post-workout window. If your protein needs are met (minimums) Supplementing more BCAA's would only be a lighter wallet in essence.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just curious what is the purpose of a full meal, the some more BCAA's right after, more intra, and then a shake + Meal in a span of an hour (post-workout)
you never ever allow protein levels to reach refractory stages, and even when in a fed state a meal would never digest in 1 hour. Totally defeats the purpose of muscle protein synthesis especially since your are constantly elevating amino levels not to mention protein from the pre-workout meal would still overlapping into the post-workout window. If your protein needs are met (minimums) Supplementing more BCAA's would only be a lighter wallet in essence.
My eating and supplementing regiment have worked out rather well for myself....that's why.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And more so. I'd rather have my body in a constant surplus of nutrients. If that didn't make sense then I dunno what does.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I hate it when the proteinz from my living room windowz overlap to my dining room windowz

My eating and supplementing regiment have worked out rather well for myself....that's why.
tell us how you really feel, bro

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
And more so. I'd rather have my body in a constant surplus of nutrients. If that didn't make sense then I dunno what does.
A caloric surplus will yield = surplus of nutrients.
If not then the individuals diet must consist of about 3-4 foods.
Megadosing BCAA's does not = Nutrients

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A caloric surplus will yield = surplus of nutrients.
If not then the individuals diet must consist of about 3-4 foods.
Megadosing BCAA's does not = Nutrients
Woo said I was mega dosing anything? Or did you just assume that? Cause we all know what happens when someone assumes....

Touey

Touey

Awards
Christmas Story Gif.gif
"Oh, the humanity!

MavGoose

MavGoose

Awards
This... Take them pre for fasted training or dose intra-workout between meals that were 4-6 hours apart: (allow protein levels to reach refractory stages before being spiked again) layne also noted this several times in his lecture this weekend at the arnold Classic. http://www.biolayne.com/wp-content/uploads/Norton-J-Ag-Food-Ind-Hi-Tech-2008.pdf http://www.slideshare.net/biolayne/optimal-protein-intake-and-meal-frequency-to-support-maximal-protein-synthesis-and-muscle-mass http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/protein_size_&_frequency.pdf Interview i did with layne where he chimes in a bit on this http://www.machinemuscle.com/layne-norton-interview/
Thanks solution, I was actually just looking around to see what layne had to say about the topic.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Woo said I was mega dosing anything? Or did you just assume that? Cause we all know what happens when someone assumes....
I have to agree with pre, during and post as well. (your statemet)

Pre , during and post = 3 times you use aminos, unless you were not meaning all 3 time periods in your statement

Solid meal an hour before training = BCAA + EAA
, pre-workout 30 minutes before training = more BCAA,
ntra workout another 30-45 minutes later = More BCAA
, and then post workout, = more BCAA
then a shake 20 minutes after = More BCAA +EAAfrom whey protein,
then a meal 45 minutes later = BCAA + EAA

^^ Even if you ate before training and used intra-workout in a fed state it would not be optimal if protein levels were met because you are basically spiking protein levels every 30-45 minutes. basically you are eating every 30-45 minutes again is that optimal for muscle protein synthesis?

http://jap.physiology.org/content/106/6/2026

"On those same lines, you have the carbophobes who have a mortal fear of insulin, yet megadose highly insulinogenic BCAA during training. What a lot of folks don’t realize is that amino acids can elicit substantial insulin responses. On those same lines, you have folks who are stuck on acute substrate utilization during training"

"Alan Aragon’s thoughts are that BCAA’s are not necessary unless you are not consuming enough BCAA’s through whole food protein (which he is in agreement with Martin). Alan continued to preach in his roundtable discussion that many individual’s are not aware of how many BCAA’s they get in real foods especially animal proteins (chicken, beef, fish etc.). Given an individual is meeting 1-1.5g of protein per day and getting adequate BCAA’s he has seen no additional research that dosing more BCAA’s or BCAA supplements is not necessary given that individual has adequate pre/post workout nutrition to fuel their body for anabolism after breaking down their bodies from a workout "

http://www.alanaragon.com/bodybuilding-nutrition-roundtable-alan-aragon-will-brink-jamie-hale-layne-norton.html

"D. Moore: No, this is completely wrong. If eating within maintenance levels with adequate protein, you will already be getting sufficient BCAA content. Let’s think about this. Most whole food proteins (including protein drinks) are made up of about 15 percent BCAA. Therefore, a 220-lb bodybuilder who eats 2 grams/pound/day is already receiving about 66 grams of BCAA per day. Even if cutting, most bodybuilders still eat sufficient protein. Therefore, he would still be consuming sufficient BCAA. I think somehow people started to believe that BCAAs are magical where lean mass retention is concerned.

I think most believe that during exercise our bodies are utilizing huge amounts of BCAAs for energy. While we do use some, the increase is far smaller than other macronutrients. In fact, the increased turnover in protein from exercise is only about two- to three-fold versus 20- to 30-fold for carbohydrate and fats. Now, of course, this protein should be replaced. However, I don’t believe it’s necessary to increase BCAA ingestion above what is already consumed in whole protein.

Of the three BCAAs, leucine appears to be the most important in stimulating protein synthesis in skeletal muscle. The consumption of leucine alone is nearly as effective in stimulating protein synthesis as supplying all three BCAAs. Of course, creating a synthetic environment would be very advantageous to a bodybuilder. If this could occur to any great extent during a cutting session, that would be even more advantageous. Unfortunately, there is little scientific evidence to support the idea that in a hypo-caloric state, increasing BCAA content above what is obtained from food is necessary or of any consequential advantage in increasing synthetic rates.

Recently, it was reported that co-ingestion of protein and leucine with carbohydrate stimulates muscle protein synthesis and optimizes whole-body protein balance when compared with the intake of carbohydrates alone after 45 minutes of resistance exercise. There may be some accumulating evidence now that supports the idea that orally-ingested BCAAs have an anti-catabolic effect during and after exercise. But again, there is nothing in the scientific literature that shows that these BCAAs must be supplied in a separate form from whole food.

There may be some relationship to BCAA and fatigue from low intensity, long duration exercise, but this isn’t something most bodybuilders have to be concerned with. Unless of course, their pre-contest preparation involves very long durations of exercise and they have a low fatigue threshold that they wish to increase."

http://articles.elitefts.com/nutrition/bcaa-supplementation-roundtable/

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And to elaborate a bit more (dunno why I even bother to because if you ask ten people you will get ten different opinions) Sure I could skip my pre training meal and do fasted training with BCAA's pre. I could skip my post training shake and just have a solid meal. I could use intra workout carbs and EAA's. I could walk around the gym with an IV full of BCD.

There are 10000000 ways to skin a cat pal. This way has worked the best for me. It continues to provide results. I've tried all of those methods listed above (besides the IV because it kept getting in the way of my side laterals) SO until I find a definitively better way to go about my peri workout nutrition I'll continue on the path that has produced the greatest results for me and I will advise others to do the same. If I spend an extra sixty bucks in a year doing so.....well woopty do.

John Meadows said "I'm not going to sit around for a study to justify what I do."

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If I spend an extra sixty bucks in a year doing so.....well woopty do.

John Meadows said "I'm not going to sit around for a study to justify what I do."
And meadows is the last to advise mega dosing BCAA's in that fashion ,and i can guarantee you using that much BCAA's would not be 60$ if dosed in that fashion training 4-5x a week.

Touey

Touey

Awards
"There are 10000000 ways to skin a cat pal."

thspitcoffee (1).gif

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And meadows is the last to advise mega dosing BCAA's in that fashion ,and i can guarantee you using that much BCAA's would not be 60$ if dosed in that fashion training 4-5x a week.
You can really twist things around can't you lol.

I didn't say meadows advised my route of peri workout nutrition. I simply mentioned a statement he made. Didn't I?

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also how many BCAA am I taking pre during and post?

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
"There are 10000000 ways to skin a cat pal."

View attachment 97593
what is funny?
I don't doubt this at all..just go ask some of these all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets about the alley cat they pass off as some delicacy like, say, general tso's chicken, to mention just one..

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what is funny?
I don't doubt this at all..just go ask some of these all-you-can-eat Chinese buffets about the alley cat they pass off as some delicacy like, say, general tso's chicken, to mention just one..
But don't eat top much meat cause everyone knows the body can only digest 45g of protein at a time. 45.2 NOPE! Ur fukd.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
everyone knows the body can only digest 45g of protein at a time. 45.2 NOPE! Ur fukd.
I thought it was 10g per hour?
some of the things ppl say are just off the wall

no worries brogan - you are big like house
I don't think you need to waste time reading something to try to fix what ain't broken..
just go maul weight, and do what you do

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyways OP. Dose them however works best for you. Try different methods and pay attention to your energy levels and soreness.

Just don't take them too close to food or The Solution will try to slam your personal preference by copy/pasting 400000 articles from sources across the WWW.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
A pure BCAA is best suited preworkout; an EAA intraworkout; a protein postworkout
Would an EAA also be a good option Pre? Or or is there a reason a BCAA is better than an EAA Pre?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Would an EAA also be a good option Pre? Or or is there a reason a BCAA is better than an EAA Pre?
WHY EAA's more important than BCAA intra-workout:
but EAAs may impart some endurance-like effects that BCAAs simply cannot.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/94/3/809.long

This is the only study done in trained humans consuming EAAs during the workout. These are legit, military-trained personnel doing both resistance and endurance work.

The findings?

"In summary, consumption of a 10-g dose of EAA enriched with leucine during moderate endurance-type exercise stimulated increased MPS when compared with an isonitrogenous EAA supplement with an amino acid profile consistent with high-quality proteins. These data indicate that increasing leucine availability during steady state exercise promotes skeletal muscle protein anabolism and spares endogenous protein."

Cliffs:

These EAAs increased postworkout MPS by 33% when consumed during exercise
The drink with the highest leucine content spared muscle to the greatest degree

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
WHY EAA's more important than BCAA intra-workout:
but EAAs may impart some endurance-like effects that BCAAs simply cannot.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/94/3/809.long

This is the only study done in trained humans consuming EAAs during the workout. These are legit, military-trained personnel doing both resistance and endurance work.

The findings?

"In summary, consumption of a 10-g dose of EAA enriched with leucine during moderate endurance-type exercise stimulated increased MPS when compared with an isonitrogenous EAA supplement with an amino acid profile consistent with high-quality proteins. These data indicate that increasing leucine availability during steady state exercise promotes skeletal muscle protein anabolism and spares endogenous protein."

Cliffs:

These EAAs increased postworkout MPS by 33% when consumed during exercise
The drink with the highest leucine content spared muscle to the greatest degree
You nailed it, hence the logic behind Amino IV

cjwav34

Awards
I drink Strive pre-workout when I train fasted or am going on a long(er) run and stick to water intra.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info but my question was about PreWO. Mr. Cooper mentioned that BCAA would be best Pre while EAA's Intra.

Would an EAA also be a good option PreWO? Or or is there a reason a that Cooper stated "A pure BCAA is best suited preworkout"?

More simply put, would a leucine rich EAA supplement be of a greater benefit PreWO than the said BCAA supplement stated previously?

Thank you again.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the info but my question was about PreWO. Mr. Cooper mentioned that BCAA would be best Pre while EAA's Intra.

Would an EAA also be a good option PreWO? Or or is there a reason a that Cooper stated "A pure BCAA is best suited preworkout"?

More simply put, would a leucine rich EAA supplement be of a greater benefit PreWO than the said BCAA supplement stated previously?

Thank you again.
Read the study above, it already shows you why EAA = Better intra-workout so that leaves BCAA = Superior pre-workout.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Edit

Touey

Touey

Awards
I drink upon hearing the whistle

[video=youtube;JZD-ADArwXo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZD-ADArwXo[/video]

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Curious for those that use BCAA's, when do you take it?

I personally use them intra but in doing some research, it has been recommended as a Pre to kind of flood the system.

Thoughts?
I have one serving pre if I'm fasted and always one serving intra

bean5er

bean5er

Awards
I'm currently running BCAAs pre and intra mixed with my HBCDs and then I eat a nice meal within an hour post wo.

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
Protein Shake and Carbs before, BCAA's during, Protein Shake after (offseason will add carbs intra and post as well).