Magnesium NEGATIVELY impacting sleep?

dbenj7

Awards
Hi guys,

So I've finally distinguished what is ruining my sleep - magnesium. Wake up in the night energised and feeling wired after some crazy dreams and just cannot get back to sleep. Magnesium is widely purported for the opposite effect, however on doing a bit of research on the net it has an energising effect on other people too. I've found I have to take mg early in the day, no later than mid afternoon. Why does it do this? Through what mechanism? So many people report on it deepening sleep, I don't know if some kind of paradoxical reaction in some people? Anyone else have this issue?

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
a lot of magnesium can have this effect

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i have issues with zma supplements...maybe the magnesium, it negatively affects my sleep....i just don't use it anymore though

dbenj7

Awards
Happens even without a high dose. Zinc has a similar effect somewhat but nowhere near as pronounced as mag. I read it was better to take your minerals at night however now I only do it morning/mid arvo at latest. And all this time I thought it was anabeta elite wrecking my sleep...cut it out and still had the same problem which led to finally discover it was the mag

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
That's a very atypical response indeed.

Are you using any other supps, meds, or calcium channel blockers? And do you have any heath issues (a recent injury maybe) or medical history which may be pertinent to an understanding of this?

dbenj7

Awards

Are you using any other supps, meds, or calcium channel blockers? And do you have any heath issues (a recent injury maybe) or medical history which may be pertinent to an understanding of this?
Nope, no supps of that kind and am generally healthy, no medical conditions. Just take a basic multi (when I remember) and protein etc, just standard stuff. Magnesium is tolerated fine, just wrecks my sleep if I take it before bed, can't work out why.

ironranger

ironranger

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Good to see you posting Dr D, havent seen you round for a while..

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hi guys,

So I've finally distinguished what is ruining my sleep - magnesium. Wake up in the night energised and feeling wired after some crazy dreams and just cannot get back to sleep. Magnesium is widely purported for the opposite effect, however on doing a bit of research on the net it has an energising effect on other people too. I've found I have to take mg early in the day, no later than mid afternoon. Why does it do this? Through what mechanism? So many people report on it deepening sleep, I don't know if some kind of paradoxical reaction in some people? Anyone else have this issue?
Are you only taking a multi with magnesium in it or are you taking a separate magnesium supplement? If so, how much have you been taking?

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Nope, no supps of that kind and am generally healthy, no medical conditions. Just take a basic multi (when I remember) and protein etc, just standard stuff. Magnesium is tolerated fine, just wrecks my sleep if I take it before bed, can't work out why.
OK, got it. You don't sound like a supp-aholic, so I'll assume you take a standard 200-400mg Magnesium Oxide or Citrate cap at night?

If it were me, I might try a washout of about a week, and then rechallenging at half the dose for a few days. That could offer some dose response insights. If that didn't help, I might substitute a Calcium supplement and note the result from that.

Otherwise, the next thing I'd consider is getting some basic bloodwork performed with a T-TSH profile. More specifically, if your thyroid function is off and carrier globin ratios have been altered, paradoxical reactions like this are not all that uncommon in my observation.

But yeah, this is interesting. I have heard of this before but never personally known anybody who experienced it.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Good to see you posting Dr D, havent seen you round for a while..
Hey Iron, good to see you around too. I haven't been hanging around much the last few years, but was convinced to come out of retirement. :)

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey Iron, good to see you around too. I haven't been hanging around much the last few years, but was convinced to come out of retirement. :)
Look at this guy just stopping in like he owns the place! :D

gymratluke

gymratluke

Board Sponsor
Awards
Crazy...Mag seems to be one of the only things that helps me sleep better at night! Hope you figure out and please keep us posted!

GQNemesis

GQNemesis

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i have issues with zma supplements...maybe the magnesium, it negatively affects my sleep....i just don't use it anymore though
Ive seen u say this couple of times, man I think im joining you in that group too .. coulda sworn early in my young days i was loving zma

and now i was usually doing 6mg melatonin and had couple of samples of 3Z .. took it and couldnt sleep at all, woke up after 4hrs and stayed up for a hour just watching family guy lol

I can only think of ZMA doing this

ironranger

ironranger

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good stuff, glad to see your back!

dbenj7

Awards
Are you only taking a multi with magnesium in it or are you taking a separate magnesium supplement? If so, how much have you been taking?
Seperate supp. I have tried mag glycinate, citrate, in a zma blend (I used zmk). Do not use oxide. I was using mag oil during the day and stopped mag before bed inadvertently for a little white I started anabeta elite and zmk at the same time, and my sleep went to ****. I put it down to the anabeta elite stimulating me, so I tried that earler in the day and still same problem. Quit anabeta elite altogether, same problem. Kept ZMK or mag supp away from too close to bedtime - problem solved, so strange

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I've heard of Magnesium and nightmares, but not an energized feeling (especially given its muscle relaxant properties).

dbenj7

Awards
OK, got it. You don't sound like a supp-aholic, so I'll assume you take a standard 200-400mg Magnesium Oxide or Citrate cap at night?

If it were me, I might try a washout of about a week, and then rechallenging at half the dose for a few days. That could offer some dose response insights. If that didn't help, I might substitute a Calcium supplement and note the result from that.

Otherwise, the next thing I'd consider is getting some basic bloodwork performed with a T-TSH profile. More specifically, if your thyroid function is off and carrier globin ratios have been altered, paradoxical reactions like this are not all that uncommon in my observation.

But yeah, this is interesting. I have heard of this before but never personally known anybody who experienced it.
Nope don't use oxide. Have used citrate before. Mainly either use chelate or glycinate. I did recently have blood work done and doc said thyroid was all "fine" but with drs fine doesn't mean optimal so I will get the numbers from him and see. I have googled it and seen a few other people report the same problem, but more often than not people experience the opposite which intrigues me as to know I react this way to it.

I don't know if it makes any difference but aside from the bit of calcium in my multi, I don't supp calcium at all aside from which I get through my diet. I did have a calcium heavy smoothie for dinner after soccer training last night which was close to bed, this had scoop of protein, milk, banana, couple of eggs and bit of honey and did not cause any sleep issues like I get from mag. Don't know if that holds any significance at all though.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I didn't realize you were getting the mag from a ZMA! Maybe it's the Zinc component? Zinc is an NMDA agonist (opposite effect from Magnesium), which can produce sensory stim that gets stronger and stronger the longer you reinforce it. Zinc is also mildly hypoglycemic (it can produce relaxation as well) so it could go either way, but it would be much more likely that the Zinc is doing it rather than the Mag.

dbenj7

Awards
I didn't realize you were getting the mag from a ZMA! Maybe it's the Zinc component? Zinc is an NMDA agonist (opposite effect from Magnesium), which can produce sensory stim that gets stronger and stronger the longer you reinforce it. Zinc is also mildly hypoglycemic (it can produce relaxation as well) so it could go either way, but it would be much more likely that the Zinc is doing it rather than the Mag.
Taken mag by itself and noted same problem. I just meant I have tried mag in a zma blend but also seperately. I am dosing both zinc and mag away from too close to bedtime now. Interesting on the zinc though. I will get my thyroid results shortly and see if that highlights anything

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 17
Supplements 17
Supplements 34
Supplements 9
Prince IronMag Labs 2