ALCA, GPLC, or Agmatine in pre-workout?

JSNeves

JSNeves

Awards
I'm finally at a point where I can get back into working out after a few month break (life got in the way) and am going to put together a pre workout just to help get back into the swing of things. So far I plan on putting in:

Creatine Mono- 5g
Beta Alanine - 3g
Citrulline Malate - 8g
Leucine - 5g

Will mix with a scoop of protein powder before a workout, and likely add 100-150mg caffeine.

I'm thinking of adding one of the 3 supplements listed in the title, if anyone could make a suggestion to which would be the best addition with my goals of increased performance and added muscle mass?

cbsharpe

Awards
  • Established
Can't go wrong with either ALCAR or PLCAR(GPLC). I take about 2gms of PLCAR pre-workout along with 3gms of DAA and 1.5gms of Xfactor! Yum!

In beast mode!

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I would opt for the ALCAR. I'm not a fan of GPLC, and your 8g of Cit. Mal will probably over shadow the Agmatine anyways.

haiz69

haiz69

Awards
  • Established
2g ALCAR for sure. Love the stuff.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
TBH, I think agmatine would be more helpful for what you're looking for than ALCAR.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I would opt for the ALCAR. I'm not a fan of GPLC, and your 8g of Cit. Mal will probably over shadow the Agmatine anyways.
Cit mal is chiefly an ergogen, not a vasodilator, contrary to common belief. It only weakly contributes to eNOS activity via conversion to arginine (aerobic performance)...most of its action is via its role in the urea cycle (decreased soreness, improved anaerobic performance)

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Cit mal is chiefly an ergogen, not a vasodilator, contrary to common belief. It only weakly contributes to eNOS activity via conversion to arginine (aerobic performance)...most of its action is via its role in the urea cycle (decreased soreness, improved anaerobic performance)
Don't get me wrong, I love Agmatine as it has various applications, however I just though ALCAR would be the most beneficial here.

Cit. Mal + Agmatine is great, though.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For me, Agmatine over the ALCAR if it was a choice between the two. Citrulline + agmatine is fantastic. But that's not saying that alcar is worthless by any means :D

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Also, you probably only need 3-4g of leucine as well. Not that it's a significant difference at all, just saying. :D

JSNeves

JSNeves

Awards
Thanks for all of the replies... sounds like I can't go wrong but most are suggesting ALCAR or Agmatine... maybe I'll just flip a coin! haha

I've never used either, so going to just pick one and run it and when it's out get the other.

leucine dosing will probably just depend on how much I get and how it divides out with the other ingredients.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't waste the money on GPLC. It's expensive and offers nonexistent advantages that simple glycine + PLCAR would offer.

Go with the ALCAR, it is probably a more effective performance enhancer than agmatine though you're looking at two completely functionally different compounds

SNS has great pricing on bulk powders of several of the ingredients you're looking for, usually among the best pricing on nutraplanet so if you haven't bought your ingredients yet, take a look at those (Creatine and leucine come to mind)

cbsharpe

Awards
  • Established
Doing fine using PLCAR personally. Besides, I won tubs of it in a recent promo so why not use it. Once finished with it, I will try ALCAR and see if I notice any difference.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agmatine. GPLC IMO is basically very expensive l-car. ALCAR has some focus benefits but in the gym, I don't think the effects would be anywhere near as pronounced as what you would get off .5-1 gram of agmatine.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
agmatine is dirt cheap, why not add both?
I wouldn't say that. Especially if you're dosing 1.5-2g daily. ALCAR is quite a bit cheaper.

JSNeves

JSNeves

Awards
I think I am going to start with this:

Creatine Mono- 5g
Beta Alanine - 3g
Citrulline Malate - 8g
Leucine - 5g

And get a smaller amount of ALCAR and Agmatine to mess with... I was trying to be a cheap ass but was just thinking for somewhere around $100 I can get 80-100 servings, which should last me 8-9 months with 3 big workouts a week, so thinking that way I can quit being so cheap.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't waste the money on GPLC. It's expensive and offers nonexistent advantages that simple glycine + PLCAR would offer.

Go with the ALCAR, it is probably a more effective performance enhancer than agmatine though you're looking at two completely functionally different compounds

SNS has great pricing on bulk powders of several of the ingredients you're looking for, usually among the best pricing on nutraplanet so if you haven't bought your ingredients yet, take a look at those (Creatine and leucine come to mind)
What Deeb said, GPLC is not worth the money at all, especially when you can just combine PLCAR and Glycine. Also, like he said, SNS offers these ingredients in bulk at a great price.

I think I am going to start with this:

Creatine Mono- 5g
Beta Alanine - 3g
Citrulline Malate - 8g
Leucine - 5g

And get a smaller amount of ALCAR and Agmatine to mess with... I was trying to be a cheap ass but was just thinking for somewhere around $100 I can get 80-100 servings, which should last me 8-9 months with 3 big workouts a week, so thinking that way I can quit being so cheap.
I would lower your creatine and leucine dosages (3 grams and 3-4 grams respectively). No shame in getting a small amount of ALCAR and agmatine; its a good idea to see what works for you rather than buying a bulk amount of something you may not enjoy.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't say that. Especially if you're dosing 1.5-2g daily. ALCAR is quite a bit cheaper.
1g is typically sufficient pre workout, ALCAR however can get expensive as you can run it to 6g daily for great cognitive benefits. Agmatine is 50 cents a serving from SNS @1g per workout, that's pretty cheap man.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I suppose cheap is a relative term, lol.

But yes, SNS Agmatine at 1g pre-workout (many don't need more than 1g) is very affordable.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
1g is typically sufficient pre workout, ALCAR however can get expensive as you can run it to 6g daily for great cognitive benefits. Agmatine is 50 cents a serving from SNS @1g per workout, that's pretty cheap man.
I guess I didn't think about using that much ALCAR. Lol. Never went over 2g, myself. I was thinking 1.5-2g Agmatine for those who dose split daily (preworkout, pre meal/bed). Yeah, if you're staying in that 500mg-1g range only preworkout, it's pretty cheap.

Of course this thread specifically asked pre workout, so my mistake there.

AndroRage

AndroRage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think I am going to start with this: Creatine Mono- 5g Beta Alanine - 3g Citrulline Malate - 8g Leucine - 5g And get a smaller amount of ALCAR and Agmatine to mess with... I was trying to be a cheap ass but was just thinking for somewhere around $100 I can get 80-100 servings, which should last me 8-9 months with 3 big workouts a week, so thinking that way I can quit being so cheap.
You can't really go wrong with any you have mentioned. It's really dependant on your budget, but you could get a couple of things you mentioned and rotate them in and see which you prefer, that's what I do. I buy a few products and adjust doses add things/subtract where I feel its needed and now I'm happy with my pre workout rotations. It's very individualistic in my opinion.