Critique my suppliment list

Marine04

Marine04

Awards
I'm 5'8 175
I'm trying to bulk and get huge. I've put on 5 lbs in a week so far. I'm kind of on a right budget do I'm not using top of the line products but would appreciate you guys checking out what I'm running and tell me if it looks ok to start.

2 shakes of pro performance mass gainer. Usually one in the morning and after workout or before bed.

6 star pro 100% whey- taking about 2 shakes a day but only one scoop per shake to make that 30g of protein instead of 60g

Just picked up 6 star creatine. Plan to mix it in with my morning shake and afternoon

Muscle tech 100% premium test booster. Haven't started but plan to start in the morning with the 4 tabs

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Creatine only needs to be dosed at 5g total per day. Take it pre, post, whatever.

All the protein powder is fine. Its a supplement like anything else. Let it supplement your diet to fill in the gaps where whole foods aren't.

Do you know how many calories you'll be taking in each day?

Marine04

Marine04

Awards
Creatine only needs to be dosed at 5g total per day. Take it pre, post, whatever. All the protein powder is fine. Its a supplement like anything else. Let it supplement your diet to fill in the gaps where whole foods aren't. Do you know how many calories you'll be taking in each day?[/QUOTE
Right now I've been counting 3200-3600 calories per day. My protein intake is about 180-250g per day. Typically around 220 though. The creatine I thought I would just sip it during workout with my water that way I'll leave plenty of room for my post workout shake. Do the test boosters sound ok to you?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your testbooster is fine since you already bought all your products. It's D-Aspartic Acid, and properly dosed. It can give some people the runs though. If that's the case, split your dosages up.

Display233

Awards
Maybe add something with arginine (supplement caps which are cheaper) or maybe NO pre workout. Beta alanine is good too and take some Zinc and magnesium before bed as well (just not too much zinc /magnesium because it can cause you to be deficient with other minerals). Other than that if you are eating right , watching your macros , and sleeping well you should accomplish your goals. Good luck to you .

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I recommend you find a whey to purchase higher quality protein. at least on your next round. I realize the prices at box stores can look attractive however its rare you would be getting any thing more than cheap fillers an even cheaper protein sources. have a look at iForces protean. a 4 pound tub is very competitively priced and a good quality protein blend. the taste will be stellar. also we are dropping our all new mass gainer that is unlike most on the market because it too is not full of junky fillers and useless crap. its calories will come from high grade sources.

Marine04

Marine04

Awards
Thanks for the advice guys!
I haven't been able to workout regularly since may due to a back and head injury from an auto accident so I thought this stuff as a first round of products may give me some initial results.
I'll try that other protein next round and after I finish this round of test booster I'll probably try some stuff at gnc that is in a black and chrome bottle. Can't remember the name but it has black in the name and has a second product in a red container recommended to use after the black is out. I think it's something like 175-200 for the two products. I'm thinking I'll get my tax return in a few weeks and maybe pick up some higher quality supplies plus when I get my settlement from my auto accident I maybe try to pick up about a year of quality supplements.

mpaquett

mpaquett

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice guys!
I haven't been able to workout regularly since may due to a back and head injury from an auto accident so I thought this stuff as a first round of products may give me some initial results.
I'll try that other protein next round and after I finish this round of test booster I'll probably try some stuff at gnc that is in a black and chrome bottle. Can't remember the name but it has black in the name and has a second product in a red container recommended to use after the black is out. I think it's something like 175-200 for the two products. I'm thinking I'll get my tax return in a few weeks and maybe pick up some higher quality supplies plus when I get my settlement from my auto accident I maybe try to pick up about a year of quality supplements.
I'd avoid GNC like the plaque. Order online and save yourself a lot of money. GNC also carries almost no products that I would even take personally. You'd be way over paying for the products you mentioned and I wouldn't recommend them regardless. How old are you? If you're less than 23 I wouldn't even bother with test boosters, and even 23 is pushing it for most people. Also, don't jump directly from one to the next. Always take a few weeks off even if they are "natty test boosters".

5lbs is a lot of weight to gain in one week. I'm assuming there was quite a bit of water and glycogen fluctuation in there. Did you weigh yourself same time of day (morning is best IMO) in relatively the same about of clothing?

"Post work out shakes" really serve no relevance unless that's just when you prefer to drink your protein. It will not give you any better gains. All that really matters is hitting your macros throughout the day when it comes to protein. Also, previously mentioned in this thread was arginine. I would not supplement arginine, because oral arginine consumption serves no real purpose, but agmatine or citrulline would fit nicely with anyone's stack.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
I'd avoid GNC like the plaque. Order online and save yourself a lot of money. GNC also carries almost no products that I would even take personally. You'd be way over paying for the products you mentioned and I wouldn't recommend them regardless. How old are you? If you're less than 23 I wouldn't even bother with test boosters, and even 23 is pushing it for most people. Also, don't jump directly from one to the next. Always take a few weeks off even if they are "natty test boosters". 5lbs is a lot of weight to gain in one week. I'm assuming there was quite a bit of water and glycogen fluctuation in there. Did you weigh yourself same time of day (morning is best IMO) in relatively the same about of clothing? "Post work out shakes" really serve no relevance unless that's just when you prefer to drink your protein. It will not give you any better gains. All that really matters is hitting your macros throughout the day when it comes to protein. Also, previously mentioned in this thread was arginine. I would not supplement arginine, because oral arginine consumption serves no real purpose, but agmatine or citrulline would fit nicely with anyone's stack.
The only time i purchase from GNC is when i need something and cant wait a couple of days. Plus on some things it only like an extra $5 for the same supp from GNC that you pay for online+shipping.

mpaquett

mpaquett

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The only time i purchase from GNC is when i need something and cant wait a couple of days. Plus on some things it only like an extra $5 for the same supp from GNC that you pay for online+shipping.
I do bulk orders with sometimes up to 2-3 others and split shipping. lol So I'm always saving. I've never purchased anything from GNC unless it was some clearance protein bars or RTDs.

Marine04

Marine04

Awards
I'll be 30 next month. Yeah the 5 lbs in a week was pretty crazy! I just ate a ton and pounded protein and worked out. I weighed in at night the first couple times then one morning after a workout and the scale at the gym was 175.0 at home when I was weighing at night it showed 174-177. I think I might be that initial big boost and the rest will most likely be tougher to put on. I did lose about 5 pounds the first week then went back up to 170 then the week after I went back up I was weighing in at 175. I've pretty much been holding there for a few days now but I'm confident I'll gain another couple in the next couple weeks. I'm carefully counting all my calories protein and carbs to make sure I'm taking in a big number. I'll definitely check some online stuff out. Gnc is pretty pricey and doesn't seem to have a huge selection.

ethan_wilde

ethan_wilde

Awards
I'll be 30 next month. Yeah the 5 lbs in a week was pretty crazy! I just ate a ton and pounded protein and worked out. I weighed in at night the first couple times then one morning after a workout and the scale at the gym was 175.0 at home when I was weighing at night it showed 174-177. I think I might be that initial big boost and the rest will most likely be tougher to put on. I did lose about 5 pounds the first week then went back up to 170 then the week after I went back up I was weighing in at 175. I've pretty much been holding there for a few days now but I'm confident I'll gain another couple in the next couple weeks. I'm carefully counting all my calories protein and carbs to make sure I'm taking in a big number. I'll definitely check some online stuff out. Gnc is pretty pricey and doesn't seem to have a huge selection.
What protein?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I was using rebuilt raw mass gainer, and a 100% whey. Plus what I was getting from eggs, peanut butter, tuna, shrimp and other meats
5 pounds gained wont be all muscle bro. Id slow it down unless you dont mind

JD261985

Banned
Awards
5 pounds gained wont be all muscle bro. Id slow it down unless you dont mind
Yea man I'm kinda learning that putting on weight isn't all it's cut out to be. Sure some will be muscle but plenty won't. Problem is that so many of us get impatient (who can blame us?) but ultimately slow and steady wins the race. Microprogression and small tweaks/diet changes can go along way. Did nothing else but lower carb intake recently and boom I'm starting to trim up. Funny how the body works...

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yea man I'm kinda learning that putting on weight isn't all it's cut out to be. Sure some will be muscle but plenty won't. Problem is that so many of us get impatient (who can blame us?) but ultimately slow and steady wins the race. Microprogression and small tweaks/diet changes can go along way. Did nothing else but lower carb intake recently and boom I'm starting to trim up. Funny how the body works...
Yeah absolutely. Normally if you notice large shifts in weight over a short period,then its either an increase in water, glycogen or fat with a small proportion of that being muscle; especially if natty.

Some dont mind putting on a lot of fat because it maximises your chance of muscle development but for me, my girlfriend wont be happy if I balloon up like Layne every bulking cycle lol

ion26

ion26

Awards
  • Established
You only need 1g/lb of protein (this can even be lowered). 0.45g/lb of fat, and then fill the rest of your calories with carbs.
Figure out your maintenance calories with this: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

You also don't need supplements except protein, a preworkout of your choice (assuming you would like a preworkout. It's not necessary either), a multivitamin, vitamin D3, and some fish oil (2g DHA/2g EPA)

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
You only need 1g/lb of protein
oh gaawd, stop it already
I wish ppl would get off this "you only need X amount of protein" bro-bullsh1t
you are quoting preferential and inconsequential to anybody else, nonsense
You also don't need supplements except protein, a preworkout of your choice (assuming you would like a preworkout. It's not necessary either), a multivitamin, vitamin D3, and some fish oil (2g DHA/2g EPA)
again, more preference

but -- I will say all of these gainers/proteins etc are certainly not essential
simple recipe for OP is -- FOOD!
period, /story

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You only need 1g/lb of protein (this can even be lowered). 0.45g/lb of fat, and then fill the rest of your calories with carbs.
Horseshït. Every metabolism is not the same.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
oh gaawd, stop it already
I wish ppl would get off this "you only need X amount of protein" bro-bullsh1t
you are quoting preferential and inconsequential to anybody else, nonsense
again, more preference

but -- I will say all of these gainers/proteins etc are certainly not essential
simple recipe for OP is -- FOOD!
period, /story
Actually, it isnt bro-science at all. Many studies have been conducted, as well as a few in bodybuilders (not just people doing leg extensions to failure) that determine that there is a point in which protein is not used in the matter you wish for it to be used (NBAL, Isotropes and other protein measurement systems have all been utilised).
Above certain amounts, the body simply has no need to use any more and deaminates/ transaminates the proteins for other uses. Are the studies limited? Perhaps, but even anecdotally I feel no different after experimenting with higher protein intakes (~300g) and lower (180g) and usually my performance suffers as I must sacrifice either carbs or fats to meet the increased need.

What I so disagree with is the notion that you cannot/ should not eat more than 1g/lb or that the rest of your calories must come from carbs or whatever. Every person should utilize a diet in which they best feels meets their lifestyle.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Actually, it isnt bro-science at all. Many studies have been conducted, as well as a few in bodybuilders (not just people doing leg extensions to failure) that determine that there is a point in which protein is not used in the matter you wish for it to be used (NBAL, Isotropes and other protein measurement systems have all been utilised).
Above certain amounts, the body simply has no need to use any more and deaminates/ transaminates the proteins for other uses. Are the studies limited? Perhaps, but even anecdotally I feel no different after experimenting with higher protein intakes (~300g) and lower (180g) and usually my performance suffers as I must sacrifice either carbs or fats to meet the increased need.

What I so disagree with is the notion that you cannot/ should not eat more than 1g/lb or that the rest of your calories must come from carbs or whatever. Every person should utilize a diet in which they best feels meets their lifestyle.
jiigzz, not that I care to argue this, but these studies have no pertinence in bodybuilding...they are generic and baseless guidelines
I'd like to see any pro bodybuilder worth his salt, who is limiting his protein consumption to "1g / lb of bw"
sure, I bet all them guys, branch warren, jay cutler, even back in the day dorian and further back in the day Arnold, lou and lee haney all kept their protein at 1g/lb
:blink:
no
whether you personally can tell a difference with higher protein consumption, is very anecdotal...for the flip side, I certainly can tell a difference, and there is more anecdote ... my protein consumption is ridiculously high in comparison to these "studies" recommendations, and I get told I look great all the time...
the diets I create for my clients all have much more protein than this arbitrary advised amount, and they make huge changes in bodycomp (as well as all-round performance for that matter) and are well-satisfied with their investment..
sure wouldn't be happening if I stuck with some generic formula that joe schmo advises on some bb'ing forum, or what some geek in a labcoat advises is the "proper and useful" amount

at least we can agree on your last point

chris223

Awards
  • Established
This formula would do nothing for me but add copious amounts of fat to my body.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
jiigzz, not that I care to argue this, but these studies have no pertinence in bodybuilding...they are generic and baseless guidelines
I'd like to see any pro bodybuilder worth his salt, who is limiting his protein consumption to "1g / lb of bw"
sure, I bet all them guys, branch warren, jay cutler, even back in the day dorian and further back in the day Arnold, lou and lee haney all kept their protein at 1g/lb
:blink:
no
whether you personally can tell a difference with higher protein consumption, is very anecdotal...for the flip side, I certainly can tell a difference, and there is more anecdote ... my protein consumption is ridiculously high in comparison to these "studies" recommendations, and I get told I look great all the time...
the diets I create for my clients all have much more protein than this arbitrary advised amount, and they make huge changes in bodycomp (as well as all-round performance for that matter) and are well-satisfied with their investment..
sure wouldn't be happening if I stuck with some generic formula that joe schmo advises on some bb'ing forum, or what some geek in a labcoat advises is the "proper and useful" amount

at least we can agree on your last point
You cannot compare a guy who is on like 10g of test per day with the average member of this board..

ion26

ion26

Awards
  • Established
You cannot compare a guy who is on like 10g of test per day with the average member of this board..
Blows my mind how people still take advise on dieting from IBBF Pros...

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
10g test daily eh
lqtm
ohhh I see, so now you are qualifying your earlier post, when anabolic drugs are brought into the equation
outstanding -- and interesting that is the only part of my post you choose to respond to
and just what, praytell, do you quantify as an "average member of this board" as, jiigzz?
enquiring minds want to know

Blows my mind how people still take advise on dieting from IBBF Pros...
easy there kiddo
I been eating 300g + protein a day for many many yrs -- long before I ever took the step to oral steroidal compounds
worked the same when I was natural, as when I was not

you guys can continue living in your finite little algebraic formularies, and remain with little progress ever in body composition/muscle addition .. it does not bother my world
but when you come out with these silly little scientific formulas that say "you should break your macros down thusly", in a generic vacuum, I will continue to be the first one there waving arms that you don't have a clue what you are speaking of, lest you sucker some other unsuspecting patron into your realm

:D

that is all

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
10g test eh
lqtm
ohhh I see, so now you are qualifying your earlier post, when anabolic drugs are brought into the equation
outstandingeasy there kiddo
I been eating 300g + protein a day for many many yrs -- long before I ever took the step to oral steroidal compounds
worked the same when I was natural, as when I was not

you guys can continue living in your finite little algebraic formularies, and remain with little progress ever in body composition/muscle addition .. it does not bother my world
but when you come out with these silly little scientific formuals that say "you should break your macros down thusly", in a generic vacuum, I will continue to be the first one there waving arms that you don't have a clue what you are speaking of, lest you sucker some other unsuspecting patron into your realm

:D

that is all
You change things a little when you have a lot more test than a natural person.

We are not living in a "finite" world; we're living in a realistic one. I know you have issues with studies, but the reality is that we are only capable of utilising so much.

I would state that it is you who has little idea of what you are talking about. People have come very far in understanding the body since the days of Arnold and the bro-science around consuming copious amounts of protein -- if you wish to do your own thing then obviously that is fine, but when you start knocking people for using scientific studied amounts and preaching bro-lore to the forum, then expect some resistance.

Long gone are the days of needing to eat every 3 hours, avoiding fats based on flawed evidence and other such dogma.

Not knocking you though snags, your results speak volumes, but on these matters i must disagree.

Still respect you and your rep team immensely.

As I sense the discussion will not be heading anywhere productive, ill leave it at that :D

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
avoiding fats based on flawed evidence and other such dogma.
that was the 70s version of "studies" that dictated such approach, I will remind you, and it swept an entire nation in such fallacy that this dogma even exists today, in some circles (and in some scholastic textbooks)...
(for the record, I like fats)
science is only as good, as the tools with which can be used to express such "theories", and the ppl who attempt to decipher what they see using these available tools..they are everchanging, here today gone tomorrow, when there becomes a new toy tool with which to explain things..
Not knocking you though snags, your results speak volumes, but on these matters i must disagree.
we can always disagree, respectfully
Still respect you and your rep team immensely.
aye, and I you & yours, my friend
As I sense the discussion will not be heading anywhere productive, ill leave it at that :D
another yet another end where we meet with "agree to disagree" respect
fair enough

Nickype

Awards
I would look into a good greens powder and some virgin coconut oil added in to your list.

Chunkx

Chunkx

Awards
I'm 5'8 175
I'm trying to bulk and get huge. I've put on 5 lbs in a week so far. I'm kind of on a right budget do I'm not using top of the line products but would appreciate you guys checking out what I'm running and tell me if it looks ok to start.

2 shakes of pro performance mass gainer. Usually one in the morning and after workout or before bed.

6 star pro 100% whey- taking about 2 shakes a day but only one scoop per shake to make that 30g of protein instead of 60g

Just picked up 6 star creatine. Plan to mix it in with my morning shake and afternoon

Muscle tech 100% premium test booster. Haven't started but plan to start in the morning with the 4 tabs
I suggest you return most of those supps and go on a CostCo shopping spree. Food>protein powders.

Chunkx

Chunkx

Awards
that was the 70s version of "studies" that dictated such approach, I will remind you, and it swept an entire nation in such fallacy that this dogma even exists today, in some circles (and in some scholastic textbooks)...
(for the record, I like fats)
science is only as good, as the tools with which can be used to express such "theories", and the ppl who attempt to decipher what they see using these available tools..they are everchanging, here today gone tomorrow, when there becomes a new toy tool with which to explain things..
we can always disagree, respectfully
aye, and I you & yours, my friend
another yet another end where we meet with "agree to disagree" respect
fair enough
Completely off topic , but...... max pump = insane endurance

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 10
dapack Powerlifting/Strongman 7
Anabolics 27
-MVP- Training Forum 5
Supplements 2