Protein supplement review

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
[h=1]Resistance training and protein intake synergistic effects: Practical aspects[/h]
Resistance training is a potent stimulus to increase skeletal muscle mass. The muscle protein accretion process depends on a robust synergistic action between protein intake and overload. The intake of protein after resistance training increases plasma amino acids, which results in the activation of signaling molecules leading to increased muscle protein synthesis (MPS) and muscle hypertrophy. Although both essential and non-essential amino acids are necessary for hypertrophy, the intake of free L-leucine or high leucine whole proteins has been specifically shown to increase the initiation of translation that is essential for elevated MPS. The literature supports the use of protein intake following resistance training sessions to enhance MPS; however, less understood are the effects of different protein sources and timing protocols on MPS. The sum of the adaptions from each individual training session are essential to muscle hypertrophy, and thus highlight the importance of an optimal supplementation protocol. The purpose of this review is to present recent findings reported in the literature and discuss the practical application of these results. In that light, new speculations and questions will arise that may direct future investigations. The information and recommendations generated in this review will thereby benefit practicing sport and clinical nutritionists alike.
Elsevier

Our latest review, I'm attaching the full text for anyone interested. Next step is to evaluate the effects of different brands on hypertrophy in animals and then humans. This is a shameless pimp - but if any companies are interested in obtaining university and peer-reviewed evidence about their products, feel free to contact me.

Br

EDIT: I am having issues attaching the PDF....

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
sub'd

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Elsevier

Our latest review, I'm attaching the full text for anyone interested. Next step is to evaluate the effects of different brands on hypertrophy in animals and then humans. This is a shameless pimp - but if any companies are interested in obtaining university and peer-reviewed evidence about their products, feel free to contact me.

Br

EDIT: I am having issues attaching the PDF....

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll see many companies willing to go head to head with each other ;)

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll see many companies willing to go head to head with each other ;)

I want to see "Now Brand" whey protein isolate (unflavored) head to head with "PES" Select (any flavor)! Right now these are my two favorites and the ones that would be most interesting to me as a user.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice, lol!

I wasn't suggesting going pitting companies against each other in a study. I was thinking more along the lines of comparing say:

A novel proprietary formula (brand) vs. whey isolate (gold standard) vs. carbohydrate (placebo).

Mikeyjd

Mikeyjd

Awards
Nice, lol!

I wasn't suggesting going pitting companies against each other in a study. I was thinking more along the lines of comparing say:

A novel proprietary formula (brand) vs. whey isolate (gold standard) vs. carbohydrate (placebo).
Throw mag-10 in there for kicks :) I want to see if there is any way it could possibly be worth the $$$

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am having serious issues attaching the full text. I can email it to anyone interested...