BCAA Timing?

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
BCAA/Leucine Timing?

So according to the research, in order to stimulate MPS, 3-5 grams of leucine is required per meal. Let's say that one does not have a leucine-rich meal, can you take BCAA's with a meal to account of the missing leucine?

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
So according to the research, in order to stimulate MPS, 3-5 grams of leucine is required per meal. Let's say that one does not have a leucine-rich meal, can you take BCAA's with a meal to account of the missing leucine?
You certainly can, or Analyzed Supplements produced Leucine tabs with exactly that use in mind

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
You could do that if you want. Adding leucine between meals (if eating meals 4-6 hours apart) is more commonly recommended.

You certainly can, or Analyzed Supplements produced Leucine tabs with exactly that use in mind
This, or SNS Leucine (500g a tub) is an alternative powdered option.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Or bulk leucine or BCAA. But it doesn't taste good. Mixed with protein shake it's okay.

fast00

fast00

Awards
Or bulk leucine or BCAA. But it doesn't taste good. Mixed with protein shake it's okay.
Leucine does not taste well at all go for caps or mix it in, its tolerable but when u can buy caps u an totally avoid it

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Over thinking this. If your in a caloric surplus then I don't suggest spending money on bcaas vs food. If you're natural your probably getting too much protein anyway. *Asuming you follow 1g per lb*

Easy to meet bcaa requirements. Anything over is most likely converted to other things. Get steak,not bcaas.
However I do believe an EAA product can serve well in a bulk.

However if recomping*I believe maintenance calories don't exist* it may have a place.

Optimal situation is a cut. Especally leucine.

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I am on a cut right now with 45% protein, 35% fat and 30% carbs. I'm on EC/ECA and want to preserve as much muscle as possible.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Ive always dosed luecine in between meals and pre/post workout

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, I am on a cut right now with 45% protein, 35% fat and 30% carbs. I'm on EC/ECA and want to preserve as much muscle as possible.
Eca is only anti catabolic in bovine.
Get in a cheat meal of 40 to 50% of your weekly deficit each week. Hell even natural guys can get away with a 400 calorie deficit every day with a big refeed.

Take bcaas pre workout. Bcaas first thing of the morning along with meal.
There ya go!

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Eca is only anti catabolic in bovine. Get in a cheat meal of 40 to 50% of your weekly deficit each week. Hell even natural guys can get away with a 400 calorie deficit every day with a big refeed. Take bcaas pre workout. Bcaas first thing of the morning along with meal. There ya go!
Cool. Thanks!

At 170 lbs I'm only taking in 2260 for this cut since ECA is pretty powerful. I might lower it slowly by another 100 cals, but that's only once the weight loss halts.

ilia_p

Awards
There is also a good amount of research coming out now that is suggesting that BCAA's are inferior compared with complete proteins - as such - maybe EAA's would be a better option

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There is also a good amount of research coming out now that is suggesting that BCAA's are inferior compared with complete proteins - as such - maybe EAA's would be a better option
EAAs for intra workout.

ilia_p

Awards
EAAs for intra workout.
Yeah, the way I look at BCAA's vs EAA's is, with BCAA's, it's like you've gathered all of the materials you need to build your house; however, you forgot to call the builders to finish the job.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
If you're natural your probably getting too much protein anyway. *Asuming you follow 1g per lb*
what?
so how much protein intake do you propose is "too much"?
interested to hear this rationalization..

BPjohn123

BPjohn123

Awards
what?
You don't always have to come across so confrontational.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
what?
Personaly I use 1g per lb. I have used .5g per lb.

The reccomendation as per the ....sports medicine experts *in oxford. Forget the names* when it is regarding natural athletes is more in the realm of .6 to .8 g per lb. I believe I covered this in another post. I would still stick to 1g. Believe it or not the research everyone follows *1g per lb* originated in the uk. It was 1g per kilo. I feel 90 to 100 g of protein would be too little for me though. I still follow some bro science I guess.

Enhanced lifters can get away with reducing calories in the 600 a day range. Rapid fat loss. Caviot is they will need more protein. 1.1 to 1.6. I believe it has to do with nitrogen retention.

I however enjoy steak too much to .6g or .8g it. Personal preference.

However I would follow 1g per lb in weight loss. Easy for most people Especally if your coaching them. They don't need to know the extra aminos stored is being converted to glucose. They just need to do what you say haha! * I believe you do some coaching right?*

For bulking .6 g per lb is perfect for naturals.

Enhanced need more.

This is just my beliefs....my research...if 1g per lb is working for you great! If you're sacrificing your favorite food you might want to do some research of your own. You dirty carb cravers!

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
i see..thanks for expanding on your personal thoughts

fyi -- even when i was natty, i consumed way more than 1g/lb bw ;)

i wouldn't get caught up in what the latest "research" says is the appropriate amount of protein for anyone, let alone for sports active ppl or bb'ers

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
i see..thanks for expanding on your personal thoughts

fyi -- even when i was natty, i consumed way more than 1g/lb bw ;)

i wouldn't get caught up in what the latest "research" says is the appropriate amount of protein for anyone, let alone for sports active ppl or bb'ers
This isn't latest. Its what the 1g per lb is based off of.lol

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ive always dosed luecine in between meals and pre/post workout
This is how I do it.
Give PF3 a shot though, you are going to like it. Mixes good, feeds your muscles, and no need for all the intricate planning between meals, during meals, pre bed.
Just dose it either pre/intra/post workout.
I prefer 1/2 scoop pre with my Gameday, and 1.5 scoops post with my.... Water.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
This isn't latest. Its what the 1g per lb is based off of.lol
whatever
just please don't run around telling someone they are not absorbing the protein they are consuming, or that x amount is "too much"

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
You don't always have to come across so confrontational.
lol
and you don't have to read into things that aren't there or meant in such fashion, or feel like you have the need to point out what you "feel" are other ppl's faults

carry on

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
whatever
just please don't run around telling someone they are not absorbing the protein they are consuming, or that x amount is "too much"
So you are denying the fact that a good asmount of aminos are stored and converted into glucose?*bulking specifically*

I never said you wouldn't use the protein.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
So you are denying the fact that a good asmount of aminos are stored and converted into glucose?*bulking specifically*
i do not understand the question
so -- are you implying that one should load up on carbs instead in that bulk?
(carbs are not converted to glucose?)
on fats?
(excess fat in bulks doesn't get stored to fat stores?)

what in the world is your point with protein in a bulk?

Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Ladies, please.

In all seriousness then, more than 1gram per lb of bw is a waste? Meaning if I'm intaking 240g of protein and about 115g of carbs with the rest coming from fat, that .5 of protein is being wasted?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I consume .75-1g pro per lb bodyweight, .5g fat and fill the rest with carbs. I also use bulk leucine through out the day. I do this regardless if bulking or cutting

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ladies, please.

In all seriousness then, more than 1gram per lb of bw is a waste? Meaning if I'm intaking 240g of protein and about 115g of carbs with the rest coming from fat, that .5 of protein is being wasted?
Stored as amino acids and converted into glucose.
No way to tell. Do what works for you.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Ladies, please.

there is no such thing as waste, when discussing amounts of protein
no magical "ratio" for intake, no mysterious "X amount x 2/ pi = proper gram dosage" equation to follow, etc etc
metabolism -- and goals -- vary widely, as does activity level and so many other parameters
how all these silly ratios and bro logic came to pass is by recirculated, regurgitated, and bastardized outdated material from textbook nutrition courses -- which is absolutely worthless in application to our individual needs

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ladies, please. In all seriousness then, more than 1gram per lb of bw is a waste? Meaning if I'm intaking 240g of protein and about 115g of carbs with the rest coming from fat, that .5 of protein is being wasted?
Depends on goal, weight, TDEE, and training.

Not a waste though. Too much protein can be stored as fat though.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Too much protein can be stored as fat though.
ahaa -- but only within the context of concurrent excess caloric ingestion
protein alone, as a singular macro, is not responsible for bodyfat, and in fact is the LEAST likely of the macros to be stored as such

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ahaa -- but only within the context of concurrent excess caloric ingestion protein alone, as a singular macro, is not responsible for bodyfat, and in fact is the LEAST likely of the macros to be stored as such
Yeah, I should have clarified that more.