Protein while breastfeeding

Jbrooks

Awards
  • Established
Friend of mine is breastfeeding her new baby and starting back at gym and wants to take protein. Her doctor said it's ok as long as there's no added things like creatine etc but did not know of brand to have her get

So my question is it ok and if so which brand would u recommend

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
How could protein possibly be bad? It's food.

I order custom blends from truenutrition.com, since I'm lactose intolerant. I get to pick out all the ingredients in my own proportions and there's no surprises.
The blend I order is 30% Milk Dairly Isolate, 35% Gemma Pea Protein Isolate, 35% Beef Protein Isolate, Protease Additive, Heavy flavor. Orange Creamsicle, Strawberry Cheesecake, and Double Dutch Fudge all deliver in that blend (it seems obvious, but some proteins make some flavors terrible). $12.82/lb... not bad for premium stuff. Pick the Natural flavor to watch the ingredient list shorten.

Jbrooks

Awards
  • Established
How could protein possibly be bad? It's food. I order custom blends from truenutrition.com, since I'm lactose intolerant. I get to pick out all the ingredients in my own proportions and there's no surprises. The blend I order is 30% Milk Dairly Isolate, 35% Gemma Pea Protein Isolate, 35% Beef Protein Isolate, Protease Additive, Heavy flavor. Orange Creamsicle, Strawberry Cheesecake, and Double Dutch Fudge all deliver in that blend (it seems obvious, but some proteins make some flavors terrible). $12.82/lb... not bad for premium stuff. Pick the Natural flavor to watch the ingredient list shorten.
Yea i thought that also only additive i could think of was creatine so not sure what else

KrisL

KrisL

Awards
  • Established
On further consideration, I suppose soy protein might be an issue, if any protein were to be a troublemaker for a breastfeeding woman. So long as she's not allergic to any of the proteins, any average stuff should be fine.

fast00

fast00

Awards
i trust cellucor whey and CL whey filler free no creatine but i would still stick to 100% food

mpaquett

mpaquett

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Her protein intake should be fairly low and easily met through whole foods. I'd encourage her to use whole foods for the time being to avoid any potential allergenic reactions the baby may have.

Just my two cents. I'm a "better safe than sorry" kinda guy. To much has been going on in the industry lately.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Friend of mine is breastfeeding her new baby and starting back at gym and wants to take protein. Her doctor said it's ok as long as there's no added things like creatine etc but did not know of brand to have her get

I would go with a trusted grass fed organic whey that avoids things like sucralose, potassium sorbate, sodium bezoate, ace k etc.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would go with a trusted grass fed organic whey that avoids things like sucralose, potassium sorbate, sodium bezoate, ace k etc.
Nothing wrong with protein intake with breastfeeding. I am of the opinion whole foods best bet if possible and if not I back the quote as well. I don't know of any problems with the additives (or if they even get into breast milk) but I can't say they are good either.

Congratulations on choosing breast feeding, the best way to go.

ThaGerGuy3000

Awards

I don't think there would be any reason to rely on protein powders, I only take them because of my diet (high protein medium fat no carbs) before that I only eat whole foods, lots of meat and dairy.
I really would not want to do that to a newborn.
Artificial flavors and soy would both be reasons to avoid it in my eyes.
However I like to think paleo is always the way to go for best health and opinions differ.

If she must (she doesn't) I'd say, go with the self-mixed one described above and leave out any flavors, mixing it with fruit and whole milk.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Only natural flavor added, most protein powders are loaded with chemical flavoring. Try a natural and you will see awful flavor, but healthier than pes or usp.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established

Its all preference. First... Creatine has NO...I SAY NOOOOO EFFECT on breastfeeding and the baby's health. It's found in meat...if she is eating any kind of meat shes getting a good dose of it anyway.

I would only stay away from stimulants or added ingredients.

Cellucor whey,pronom 23,select*price is hella high* are good options.

If she has doubts just stick to food sources.
Talpia has a great healthy nutrition profile and it cooks in 10 minutes. You can buy vacuum sealed pouches at walmart*frozen*

Egg whites,steak,eggs *doesn't matter if orgaic or w/e* turkey ect ect

Please let her know that she really shouldn't be trying to lose weight right now. It may effect the nutrition of the breast milk.
Also make sure she eats plenty of veggies.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
lol Funny guys are saying no to protein. So... the normal american womens diet of fast food and pop would be better? I agree with above. Creatine will not hurt at all either.

ilia_p

Awards

There's a great brand - WHEY NATURAL USA

This is as close as you'll find to the ideal protein powder. It's made from the milk of pasture fed cows and is processed through a 'cold processing' cycle rather than heat treated which means a lot of the natural fractions of the whey and milk stay that way. :)

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There's a great brand - WHEY NATURAL USA

This is as close as you'll find to the ideal protein powder. It's made from the milk of pasture fed cows and is processed through a 'cold processing' cycle rather than heat treated which means a lot of the natural fractions of the whey and milk stay that way. :)
Except for the price. That stuff is ridiculously priced

ilia_p

Awards
Except for the price. That stuff is ridiculously priced
If I was a woman, I'd be picky about where my food comes from - regardless of price lol

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I was a woman, I'd be picky about where my food comes from - regardless of price lol
Paralysis by analysis. The more I see from you spouting"you should avoid high gi carbs in the morning" or other bs the more p/oed I get. You're the reason people are making money off of the organic "not so organic" crap and charging 6$ for gluten free garbage.

Unsubbing. I've said my part.