Bcaa thoughts

  1. Elite Member
    djbombsquad's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,953
    Rep Power
    403149
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    83.56%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority
    Ageforce rep, Lets patch up those mistakes and stop going oral.
    Knowledge is power- The power to do your part and make a difference.

  2. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    1241204
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    93.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    They're stretching a wee bit
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  3. Elite Member
    djbombsquad's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,953
    Rep Power
    403149
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    83.56%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Bump !!
    Ageforce rep, Lets patch up those mistakes and stop going oral.
    Knowledge is power- The power to do your part and make a difference.
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    1241204
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    93.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    The first one isn't a study, but an intro and summary of the second one. The second one, the paper by Carunchio et al., found that if you feed mice BCAAs, then they show neuronal hyperexcitability in culture and slice preps (both of these preps of course lose regulation that would be there in vivo in an intact brain). The hyperexcitability that they observed is similar to what was observed in their genetic model of ALS which uses a mutation in SOD1 (note that over 100 mutations in SOD1 have been linked with ALS and they are running with just one of those). Nobody has been able to actually show a link between this hyperexcitability and ALS, though there is a lot of interest in that area. So yes, they are stretching.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  5. New Member
    Herm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    187
    Rep Power
    10196
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    52.9%

    So your saying bcaa s could really mess your brain up?
  6. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    1241204
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    93.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Herm View Post
    So your saying bcaa s could really mess your brain up?
    Me? No. I already drank my first of the day PES Amino IV this morning and will have another tonight during training. I'm saying that this study makes huge leaps using limited science and has shown absolutely no correlation between their findings and what they claim their findings say.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  7. Diamond Member
    snagencyV2.0's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,729
    Rep Power
    2822614
    Level
    107
    Lv. Percent
    68.45%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    what? a study that is full of shinola? impossible

    LOL wow I have seen it all now, BCAAs cause ALS
    NOW we finally know what PEDs Lou Gehrig was using back in 1930...

    shrewd
  8. New Member
    brad1224's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  255 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    371
    Rep Power
    33876
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    81.77%

    honestly seems like they have tons of studies that say that something is bad for you then they will have just the same amount or more that say that it will do no harm. these studies should be read but just keep in mind that there are more studies
  9. New Member
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    101158
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    19.01%

    Thanks for posting - first time I've seen this. ALS is a severe neurodegenerative disorder and a devastating diagnosis. This study raises some interesting questions. The Carunchio et al study is dated 2010; I will check to see if similar research has been published since that time.Monte
  10. New Member
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    101158
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    19.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Me? No. I already drank my first of the day PES Amino IV this morning and will have another tonight during training. I'm saying that this study makes huge leaps using limited science and has shown absolutely no correlation between their findings and what they claim their findings say.
    That's a bit dismissive, isn't it? In response, the scientists from Northwestern Univeristy prepared a reasonable critique, saying the data is thought-provoking but more work needs to be done. I only have access to the Carunchio abstract but it didn't appear to make definitive comments around the relationship between BCAA consumption and sporadic ALS. Monte
  11. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,708
    Rep Power
    5317490
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    98.97%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Brogan View Post
    That's a bit dismissive, isn't it? In response, the scientists from Northwestern Univeristy prepared a reasonable critique, saying the data is thought-provoking but more work needs to be done. I only have access to the Carunchio abstract but it didn't appear to make definitive comments around the relationship between BCAA consumption and sporadic ALS. Monte
    Alex is very educated. I trust his opinion on the matter
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  12. New Member
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    101158
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    19.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Alex is very educated. I trust his opinion on the matter
    The scientists from Northwestern University are very educated, as well.
  13. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,708
    Rep Power
    5317490
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    98.97%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Brogan View Post

    The scientists from Northwestern University are very educated, as well.
    But without reading the FT, you have no idea how substantive the evidence is.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  14. New Member
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    101158
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    19.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    But without reading the FT, you have no idea how substantive the evidence is.
    You're right - I don't. But the Northwestern U. scientists do and they wrote what seems like a balanced response. I think it's worth reading.
  15. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,708
    Rep Power
    5317490
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    98.97%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Brogan View Post

    You're right - I don't. But the Northwestern U. scientists do and they wrote what seems like a balanced response. I think it's worth reading.
    Most studies than cannot find causation state that further research is necessary.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  16. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    1241204
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    93.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Brogan View Post
    That's a bit dismissive, isn't it? In response, the scientists from Northwestern Univeristy prepared a reasonable critique, saying the data is thought-provoking but more work needs to be done. I only have access to the Carunchio abstract but it didn't appear to make definitive comments around the relationship between BCAA consumption and sporadic ALS. Monte
    Can you please link me to the critique you mentioned, I probably know them. And I didn't mean to be so harsh towards the article, but I still maintain that they shouldn't even mention ALS which they do. I was more responding to "So your saying bcaa s could really mess your brain up?" when I was pretty clear why this study shows absolutely zero link between BCAA and ALS. A quick net search will show that this article has been used on several other boards to try and show that there is a link and I am trying to avoid that.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  17. New Member
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    101158
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    19.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    Most studies than cannot find causation state that further research is necessary.
    True. And that is a fair position for a researcher to take when the evidence is inconclusive.
  18. New Member
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    101158
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    19.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Can you please link me to the critique you mentioned, I probably know them. And I didn't mean to be so harsh towards the article, but I still maintain that they shouldn't even mention ALS which they do. I was more responding to "So your saying bcaa s could really mess your brain up?" when I was pretty clear why this study shows absolutely zero link between BCAA and ALS. A quick net search will show that this article has been used on several other boards to try and show that there is a link and I am trying to avoid that.
    Aleks, I was referring to this one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3049458/

    I didn't realize you were replying to that "mess up your brain question." I agree - there is no firm evidence to support such a claim. I did notice the study on some other forums after OP posted it here.

    The BCAA-sporadic ALS-hyperexcitability concept is intersting but far from conclusive. ALS is a confounding condition whose genesis is poorly understood. But people who suffer from this horrific condition would likely welcome any research.
  19. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    1241204
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    93.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Brogan View Post
    Aleks, I was referring to this one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3049458/

    I didn't realize you were replying to that "mess up your brain question." I agree - there is no firm evidence to support such a claim. I did notice the study on some other forums after OP posted it here.

    The BCAA-sporadic ALS-hyperexcitability concept is intersting but far from conclusive. ALS is a confounding condition whose genesis is poorly understood. But people who suffer from this horrific condition would likely welcome any research.
    I read that as well, but dismissed it as it isn't a study itself. It's a book report on the Carunchio paper written by a post-doc. Here's my issue with both and hopefully it will give you a better picture of why I have issues with them even mentioning ALS. The Carunchio paper found an interesting physiological phenomenon. They fed mice BCAA and saw hyperexcitability in some neurons that were either cultured in a dish or in a brain slice. Both of these brain preps are important and have led to an endless amount of medical science breakthroughs, but I still am more convinced when people repeat these experiments in vivo in an intact animal, partially because that is what I have done and partially because hyperexcitability can easily rely on those connections that are lost when the brain is not intact. It's also a pretty generic phenomenon that can be caused by countless reasons.

    But here is my problem with the link to ALS. This group found a phenomenon that does not occur in ALS and has not been shown to have any link to ALS. This phenomenon occurs in their very specific genetic model of ALS, of which there are literally hundreds and every group thinks their model is the answer. However, finding a cool physiological phenomenon isn't always enough to get a paper published in the journal that they want to publish in, so they have to bedazzle it and talk about something that will catch people's attention.

    I do sympathize with individuals and families that suffer from ALS and other diseases. I also know firsthand how much funding for this research completely blows and the need to exaggerate to get findings out in the public, but that can also give those suffering from these diseases false hope.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  20. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,522
    Rep Power
    41252
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.39%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Good points all around and I concur re: the dangers of overzealous extrapolation.
  21. New Member
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    101158
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    19.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    I read that as well, but dismissed it as it isn't a study itself. It's a book report on the Carunchio paper written by a post-doc. Here's my issue with both and hopefully it will give you a better picture of why I have issues with them even mentioning ALS. The Carunchio paper found an interesting physiological phenomenon. They fed mice BCAA and saw hyperexcitability in some neurons that were either cultured in a dish or in a brain slice. Both of these brain preps are important and have led to an endless amount of medical science breakthroughs, but I still am more convinced when people repeat these experiments in vivo in an intact animal, partially because that is what I have done and partially because hyperexcitability can easily rely on those connections that are lost when the brain is not intact. It's also a pretty generic phenomenon that can be caused by countless reasons.

    But here is my problem with the link to ALS. This group found a phenomenon that does not occur in ALS and has not been shown to have any link to ALS. This phenomenon occurs in their very specific genetic model of ALS, of which there are literally hundreds and every group thinks their model is the answer. However, finding a cool physiological phenomenon isn't always enough to get a paper published in the journal that they want to publish in, so they have to bedazzle it and talk about something that will catch people's attention.

    I do sympathize with individuals and families that suffer from ALS and other diseases. I also know firsthand how much funding for this research completely blows and the need to exaggerate to get findings out in the public, but that can also give those suffering from these diseases false hope.
    Aleks, terrific points. I often enjoy reading the book report/critique papers published in response to actual studies. It's refreshing to see other experts in the field comment on the data.

    You make a very valid point about the desire for papers to get published and the often sensationalistic headlines/conclusions. One would hope medical professionals would not succumb to such base tactics but scientists are flawed like the rest of us. I try to keep that in mind and maintain a critical eye.

    I applaud any research of this nature. All diseases bring varying degrees of pain and challenges but neurodegenerative diseases are a special piece of hell. People in my family have died and are afflicted currently by such diseases, which more often than not lack robust treatment options.

    Be well,
    Monte
  22. New Member
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    101158
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    19.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    Good points all around and I concur re: the dangers of overzealous extrapolation.
    Steve, thanks. The dangers of "overzealous extrapolation" - I like that and will use it in the future.

    Monte
  23. Diamond Member
    snagencyV2.0's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,729
    Rep Power
    2822614
    Level
    107
    Lv. Percent
    68.45%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Brogan View Post
    The scientists from Northwestern University are very educated.
    that too is a very dangerous extrapolation
    "well they are scientists at a big school, so the study MUST have some merit"
    1+1 does not always = 2, in the land of scientific studies
  24. New Member
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    101158
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    19.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    that too is a very dangerous extrapolation
    "well they are scientists at a big school, so the study MUST have some merit"
    1+1 does not always = 2, in the land of scientific studies
    Stating that scientists from a highly regarded university are "highly educated" is anything but "dangerous extrapolation."
  25. Diamond Member
    snagencyV2.0's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,729
    Rep Power
    2822614
    Level
    107
    Lv. Percent
    68.45%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Monte Brogan View Post
    Stating that scientists from a highly regarded university are "highly educated" is anything but "dangerous extrapolation."
    you went a little beyond that
    in actuality, you used the premise of their intelligence, as your sole basis for agreeing with their elusive "conclusion"
    you cited no factual relevance of your own
    that would be called an appeal to authority
    ie, a worthless extrapolation
  26. New Member
    Monte Brogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    101158
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    19.01%

    Quote Originally Posted by snagencyV2.0 View Post
    you went a little beyond that
    in actuality, you used the premise of their intelligence, as your sole basis for agreeing with their elusive "conclusion"
    you cited no factual relevance of your own
    that would be called an appeal to authority
    ie, a worthless extrapolation
    You need a lesson in reading comprehension. Nowhere in this post did I agree with their conclusions. I said their opinion deserves to be considered as it raised interesting questions. I agreed with Aleks' critique on numerous points; just stated the Northwestern critique deserves to be heard, as well.

    Re-read the entire thread before running off at the mouth, misrepresenting my position and making unfunny Lou Gehrig remarks.

    Monte
  27. Diamond Member
    snagencyV2.0's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,729
    Rep Power
    2822614
    Level
    107
    Lv. Percent
    68.45%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    ouch?

    someone has their panties twisted
    not looking for an argument from you amigo, but thanks for your feedback on my lou Gehrig remark
    perhaps i'll leave that out of my next stand-up routine
  28. Elite Member
    Montego1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,642
    Rep Power
    7507772
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    89.56%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    I did a study.

    Bcaa's didn't ruin my brain. And I'm a genius.
    FINAFLEX PRODUCT EDUCATOR


    ​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  29. Elite Member
    djbombsquad's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,953
    Rep Power
    403149
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    83.56%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    I did a study. Bcaa's didn't ruin my brain. And I'm a genius.
    Really? That is the dumbest think iv heard all day!!!!
    Ageforce rep, Lets patch up those mistakes and stop going oral.
    Knowledge is power- The power to do your part and make a difference.
  30. Elite Member
    BPjohn123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,985
    Rep Power
    7211399
    Level
    91
    Lv. Percent
    29.98%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post

    Really? That is the dumbest think iv herd all day!!!!
    Wow
    PES REPRESENTATIVE
    pescience.com
    http://pescience.com/insider
  31. Elite Member
    Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,708
    Rep Power
    5317490
    Level
    84
    Lv. Percent
    98.97%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post

    Really? That is the dumbest think iv herd all day!!!!
    Heard*

    unless you herd dumb people all day in which i stand corrected
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  32. Professional Member
    bean5er's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,735
    Rep Power
    4035235
    Level
    79
    Lv. Percent
    20.02%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    Really? That is the dumbest think iv herd all day!!!!
    speechless!!
    Independent
  33. Diamond Member
    mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,667
    Rep Power
    6857186
    Level
    99
    Lv. Percent
    43.38%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Montego1 View Post
    I did a study.

    Bcaa's didn't ruin my brain. And I'm a genius.
    For every study, there is a counter study:

    Quote Originally Posted by djbombsquad View Post
    Really? That is the dumbest think iv herd all day!!!!
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  34. Diamond Member
    snagencyV2.0's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,729
    Rep Power
    2822614
    Level
    107
    Lv. Percent
    68.45%
    Achievements Posting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    ^^ lol
    in the latter study however, it was noted that they used the transdermal BCAA patches
  35. Elite Member
    Montego1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  236 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,642
    Rep Power
    7507772
    Level
    96
    Lv. Percent
    89.56%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

    For every study, there is a counter study:
    It was a double blind study by Ray Charles and Homer.
    FINAFLEX PRODUCT EDUCATOR


    ​" If you're looking for a work horse.......I'm no Clydesdale."
  36. New Member
    Billy R's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Age
    52
    Posts
    102
    Rep Power
    106074
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    13.31%

    Other studies show that BCAA's are useful for people with ALS... http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21527 http://www.webmd.com/brain/understanding-als-treatment
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. creating my own bcaa mix, thoughts?
    By tbarrows in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 09:54 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 12:16 PM
  3. Myostat: Your thoughts...
    By Jarconis in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2002, 06:02 PM
  4. Your Thoughts And Opinions on Keto Dieting??
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-02-2002, 02:12 AM
  5. Thoughts about mixing your own injectables
    By Matthew D in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-28-2002, 03:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in