DLPA oh my

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I bought some DLPA last week in 1g caps and decided to wait until my rhodiola ran out yesterday. I took 1 cap around 11am and I am still flying around. I've been researching this a lot as an alternative to macuna and to see about the energy/mood boost so commonly mentioned in articles I found and it lives way beyond my expectations. I can't wait to see how it plays out over time.

Anyone have experience or like it? I just can't get over the constant stream of energy it seems to give.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not sure what you are asking, Coop. I am talking about DL-Phenylalanine.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok, well the abbrevation for phenylalanine is Phe ;)
Understood, but it says DLPA on the bottle and there appears to be 3 types DPA, DLPA, and Phe, so you could appreciate what I was going for.

Touey

Touey

Awards
Understood, but it says DLPA on the bottle and there appears to be 3 types DPA, DLPA, and Phe, so you could appreciate what I was going for.
DL-Phenylalanine is (DLPA)

Touey

Touey

Awards
I know, I posted that.
:toofunny: I know you posted that kisaj that's what's so funny about this whole thread

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
LOL, ok, I thought I was going crazy with the initial response and reread what I wrote 3-4 times to make sure.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Now I can, I'm just saying why I was confused. The label is also misleading. There is Phe, of which DPA, DLPA, and LPA are subsets

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm really surprised this isn't much more popular around here with all the threads on L-dopa and macuna. I ended up crashing out around 11pm and had the expected vivid crazy dreams, but instead of waking up lethargic, I bounced out of bed. I actually skipped my morning cup of coffee and took another 1g about 45 min ago and just starting the feeling of the warm energy and slight buzzing in my muscles while I rip through emails.

So many benefits with pain relief, energy, libido, mood elevation, etc seems like this would be great to add to a stack.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I'm really surprised this isn't much more popular around here with all the threads on L-dopa and macuna. I ended up crashing out around 11pm and had the expected vivid crazy dreams, but instead of waking up lethargic, I bounced out of bed. I actually skipped my morning cup of coffee and took another 1g about 45 min ago and just starting the feeling of the warm energy and slight buzzing in my muscles while I rip through emails.

So many benefits with pain relief, energy, libido, mood elevation, etc seems like this would be great to add to a stack.

I've used it a few times and the effects were different every time.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Day 4 and what I am really noticing is how it just continues to power through the day, even when my brain is getting tired. Around 4 pm, I am thinking, "man, I really need to take a break from this work.." but my body just doesn't want to stop. One side effect I am seeing is that I am eating much less because I am not thinking about it. This seems to just take the hunger away and I don't really crave anything.

Sleep has been amazing and deep and I have been waking up energetic.

klind14

Awards
Day 4 and what I am really noticing is how it just continues to power through the day, even when my brain is getting tired. Around 4 pm, I am thinking, "man, I really need to take a break from this work.." but my body just doesn't want to stop. One side effect I am seeing is that I am eating much less because I am not thinking about it. This seems to just take the hunger away and I don't really crave anything.

Sleep has been amazing and deep and I have been waking up energetic.
Sounds like a great supplement. I'll have to look into it. Please keep us updated on your experiences with it...especially any negative effects that develop or tolerance issues.

tristen22001

Awards
I bought some DLPA last week in 1g caps and decided to wait until my rhodiola ran out yesterday. I took 1 cap around 11am and I am still flying around. I've been researching this a lot as an alternative to macuna and to see about the energy/mood boost so commonly mentioned in articles I found and it lives way beyond my expectations. I can't wait to see how it plays out over time.

Anyone have experience or like it? I just can't get over the constant stream of energy it seems to give.
I wonder how it would react when combined with a higher dose of Rhodiola (which for me provides a pretty good mood boost but also seems to have a sedative effect...I'm assuming because of the increase in serotonin).

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I stopped taking my RR when I started this, so I am not sure. I wanted to assess the effects of this on energy and mood alone and in the week or so, I have to say it is stronger for energy and very pronounced with mood. Now, is it acting in the same manner as an adaptogen and giving the same benefits- that I don't know.

tristen22001

Awards
I stopped taking my RR when I started this, so I am not sure. I wanted to assess the effects of this on energy and mood alone and in the week or so, I have to say it is stronger for energy and very pronounced with mood. Now, is it acting in the same manner as an adaptogen and giving the same benefits- that I don't know.
Well, after reading your experiences with it (and reading more about dlpa online), I decided to go ahead and purchase some to try it for myself. I just purchased the 500 mg capsules and will probably start with that dosage first (once or trice a day) to see how I react. Depending on the results, I may try adding rhodiola back in to see how they react together.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I have to retract my previous post...I tried L-phenylalanine NOT DLPA.

Picked up some DLPA about 2 weeks ago and have been trying it at different doses. Definite improvement in pain levels, motivation, and sleep. Mood has been hard to ascertain in relation to DLPA as I have a lot going on..ie new baby in the house and no work in sight for this spring...but despite all that I have been mostly feeling good with a few bad days here and there.

I am also trying this in conjunction with varying doses of niacin and niacinamide.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I had to drop it not long after my last post because it started to create anxiety. I noticed that the initial energy that I was loving, never faded and it was started to become a nervous energy that kept my mind racing. Once I stopped, in about 2 days, things settled down again.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I got extreme anxiety from LPA, but not from DLPA..as far as I can ascertain. Also, the addition of niacin really seems to have smoothed my mood issues out, for the most part. Like I said, it's been a tough year so far so I don't have a stable lifestyle baseline to extrapolate from.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep, totally understand. Outside of my work, our youngest is now reverting back from being potty trained and now may have to leave the school we have been on the waiting list for over a year. I understand the child stress and financial stress.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
We are never alone on the child/finance/stress front, lol. Yea, I try to be as objective as I can with noots so I include those "variables" that may or may not have me waking up in the middle of the night with a panic attack. LPA definitely caused me to freak out after a few weeks of use. Haven't had that reaction with DLPA, but have had a few bad days per se. I think the truly tough part is dialing in the appropriate dosage although I often wonder if one has to adjust dosing on the fly to compensate for those uncontrollable variables.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
so it's like cracker jack?
a surprise in every box..
huh, not for me I think

Well, that was the L isomer of phenylalanine and I dropped it like a hot rock after it gave me a quasi panic attack. The D-L mix is doing much better thus far. The D isomer is reported to increase endorphins so perhaps that in and of itself smooths out the ride...but speculation is free and supps are expensive.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have to retract my previous post...I tried L-phenylalanine NOT DLPA.

Picked up some DLPA about 2 weeks ago and have been trying it at different doses. Definite improvement in pain levels, motivation, and sleep. Mood has been hard to ascertain in relation to DLPA as I have a lot going on..ie new baby in the house and no work in sight for this spring...but despite all that I have been mostly feeling good with a few bad days here and there.

I am also trying this in conjunction with varying doses of niacin and niacinamide.
You mention an improvement in pain levels...can you expand on this a bit? I'm currently taking agmatine to help with lower back pain and was looking for an alternative to take when cycling off it.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
DLPA was always hit or miss for me, sometimes creating surges of anxiety. I also combined it with deprenyl and hordenine back in the day for more intense effects (not recommended).

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, it was an experiment for me and I saw great results initially, but could not handle the anxiety it ended up causing. It came on quick too. I'd hear a pan bang or something and it would make me jump and heart race. I mean every little thing annoyed me at the end.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The increase in anxiety doesn't sound good (especially for someone like me with daily anxiety/depression issues). However, I think the adaptogens I use should help counter that aspect. I'm mainly interested in DLPA's reduction in pain benefits. Agmatine is great for that but I'd like to have a second option that I can use when cycling off it (kind of like how I cycle through various adaptogens to help with anxiety).

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
May just want to look at getting DPA as it seems to lessen the anxiety issues people get on DLPA, but I don't know if phenylalanine would be good for anyone with anxiety.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
May just want to look at getting DPA as it seems to lessen the anxiety issues people get on DLPA, but I don't know if phenylalanine would be good for anyone with anxiety.
Thank you for the recommendation. I started looking at DPA after your post and, while it's a little harder to find that product, it does sound better than DLPA for my needs...especially since I was thinking about stacking it with rhodiola for a bit.

Edit: Wanted to clarify that I was thinking about taking it with a higher dose of rhodiola (500 mg twice each day), which I've found in the past to be more relaxing (good for anxiety) and not energizing like lower doses. I was originally thinking DLPA might help balance the higher doses of rhodiola. However, DPA might be a safer place to start. I don't want to negate the anti-anxiety effects provided by the higher rhodiola dose.

infraredline

Awards

Sounds like what pramipexole does for me, I can sleep 4 hours and feel like I've slept 10 when I take some prami prior to bed

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established

Try it..it's totally worth it. I got the same nervousness from DLPA that you did but after switching to DPA..it's night and day. I feel alert, upbeat, less awareness of my aches and pains and a marked decrease in ahedonia. All that with zero interference with sleep patterns, in fact I think it may be helping me sleep. I dose 1500 mg with 100mg L-tyrosine in the morning on an empty stomach about 15 mins prior to my bulletproof-esque coffee.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The increase in anxiety doesn't sound good (especially for someone like me with daily anxiety/depression issues). However, I think the adaptogens I use should help counter that aspect. I'm mainly interested in DLPA's reduction in pain benefits. Agmatine is great for that but I'd like to have a second option that I can use when cycling off it (kind of like how I cycle through various adaptogens to help with anxiety).
Have you tried theanine?

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you tried theanine?
Surprisingly, that's one supplement I haven't tried for anxiety. I've had such good luck with adaptogens that I just never got around to it. However, I'm sure I will at some point.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Try it..it's totally worth it. I got the same nervousness from DLPA that you did but after switching to DPA..it's night and day. I feel alert, upbeat, less awareness of my aches and pains and a marked decrease in ahedonia. All that with zero interference with sleep patterns, in fact I think it may be helping me sleep. I dose 1500 mg with 100mg L-tyrosine in the morning on an empty stomach about 15 mins prior to my bulletproof-esque coffee.
I'll be starting DPA tomorrow and see how it's pain reduction benefits compare to agmatine as I take some time off it. How long before you noticed it improving your mood and decreasing aches and pains? Notice a build up in tolerance?

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Mood boost is subtle and was noticable the first day and seems to build then plateau after a few weeks. Basically, I found myself enjoying people and activities again that I had lost interest or enjoyment in during a lengthy depressive spell. I stack DPA with L-tyrosine.

I did notice a reduction in pain and strangely enough, my sinuses seem to open up and even tingle..perhaps because I had surgery on them last Oct. After a few months, I really am not noticing the pain reduction although I only take it in the morning and supposedly, it should be taken 2-3x per day.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mood boost is subtle and was noticable the first day and seems to build then plateau after a few weeks. Basically, I found myself enjoying people and activities again that I had lost interest or enjoyment in during a lengthy depressive spell. I stack DPA with L-tyrosine.

I did notice a reduction in pain and strangely enough, my sinuses seem to open up and even tingle..perhaps because I had surgery on them last Oct. After a few months, I really am not noticing the pain reduction although I only take it in the morning and supposedly, it should be taken 2-3x per day.
That sounds pretty good. I could definitely use something that also helps with depression a little (tried SAMe a while back for that and it just made me really tired).

Right now, I plan on taking it just twice each day. Hopefully that's enough to help with a reduction in lower back pain. If not, I'll just switch back to agmatine again after a month or so. Thank you for the info.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
The reviews on DPA I've read regarding pain control all highlighted the fact that people in chronic pain could use far lower doses of NSAIDs or heavier pain killers when they are on DPA.

SAMe didn't do a lot for me either, but the combo of 5-htp,L-tyrosine, and DPA helped a lot. They are staples for me at this point.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not sure what you are asking, Coop. I am talking about DL-Phenylalanine.
Big fan of this stuff... surprised we dont see it used in more formulas.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Big fan of this stuff... surprised we dont see it used in more formulas.
Yeah man, if it didn't F with my anxiety, I would too. I absolutely loved it for the first few weeks and then it just turned on me.

996ttelise

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Haha, DLPA . . , the stuff opiated addicts take to try and reduce tolerance, reset receptors or potentiate opiate effects. I purchased a bottle back in 08. That stuff does nothing. Psychosomatic. DLPA plus tyrosine might have a synergistic effect, but might as well just drink a cup of coffee.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, you are pretty wrong there, but thanks for the opinion.

Balaclava

Awards
I had the same experience - combined dlpa with caffeine tablets too. Felt energetic, fluent, increased libido, and got **** done. However I had the same anxiety and even some depression set in (caffeine withdrawal/slump may have contributed). Now I find it best if I use it once every couple days. From what I understand, DLPA contributes to increasing dopamine, which drives down serotonin. Serotonin of course contributes to feelings of wellbeing and lowers anxiety. I tried adding in 5htp to 'balance things out' but honestly it just ended up creating more problems and made me feel weird. Now I just use the dlpa occasionally, and never two days in a row. Just one dose of 375-750mg in the morning on an empty stomach.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Better to remove things than to chase them with other things to make them right.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The reviews on DPA I've read regarding pain control all highlighted the fact that people in chronic pain could use far lower doses of NSAIDs or heavier pain killers when they are on DPA.

SAMe didn't do a lot for me either, but the combo of 5-htp,L-tyrosine, and DPA helped a lot. They are staples for me at this point.
That sounds like a good balanced approach between dopamine and serotonin. I think I'm going to take a slightly different approach with rhodiola rosea (for serotonin), DPA (for pain management) and l-theanine (for dopamine and gaba). I'll probably give this a try for a couple months while I'm cycling off bacopa, ashwagandha and agmatine.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mind if I ask why you would cycle off of bacopa, ashwagandha and agmatine? Those would be considered staples.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mind if I ask why you would cycle off of bacopa, ashwagandha and agmatine? Those would be considered staples.
I'm cycling off bacopa because we're currently trying for a second child and I read it could cause infertility issues. I don't want to take any chances if it's true. However, if you have information to dispute this (such as unrealistic high doses being required to cause infertility), please let me know as I really miss this supplement.

I'm cycling off ashwagandha because I really didn't like the effects of it without bacopa. The two just seemed to go really well together.

As for agmatine, I'm just a little unsure as to the safety of taking it long-term on a daily basis...especially at the doses (2.5g+/day) I was taking for back pain relief. So, I was thinking a short break might be a good idea.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nootropics 18
Supplements 9
Supplements 0