Serotonin & Dopamine... - AnabolicMinds.com

Serotonin & Dopamine...

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. Alasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    415
    Rep Power
    173672

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Serotonin & Dopamine...


    I've reading a lot about to improve and two things which are mentioned quite a lot seem to be serotonin and dopamine. My question is which products/supplements are most effective at optimising these brain chemicals to improve mood regarding anxiety/depression etc

    Just generally anything which makes you have used and it has improves your well being and made you feel good.

    It can be something you have experience with or has been proven/validated to work by science.

    Someone I know advised of 5-HTP

    Thanks in advance

  2. aaronuconn's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,357
    Rep Power
    1311749

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Honestly, when it comes to neurological ailments, especially depression, anxiety, etc., it's always best to seek medical assistance.

  3. Alasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    415
    Rep Power
    173672

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronuconn View Post
    Honestly, when it comes to neurological ailments, especially depression, anxiety, etc., it's always best to seek medical assistance.
    I didn't say I specifically have depression or abnormalities regarding neurological aliments. What I'm looking for is something to increase the feel good feeling in these winter months.
    •   
       

  4. LizKing531's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,976
    Rep Power
    1021197

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    5-HTP has been hit or miss with me. Sometimes I feel better, other times I crash worse. I've read about some brands that combine 5-HTP & L-Tryptophan, haven't tried though.

    Vitamin D3 seems to help & is cheap.

    B12 sublingual always gives me a little extra boost - I hear the B12 shot is great
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/powerlifting-strongman/240580-road-derby-cup.html
  5. xR1pp3Rx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,477
    Rep Power
    970762

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    get out and go ice fishin! thatll boost your spirits and give you some lean protonz for your diet
    actually
    you can look to products like L-dopa and PEa's to boost your mood. I will tell you though that people rave about the good mood that intimidate puts them in after a restful sleep.
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
  6. 13bret's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    43
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    198

    Reputation

    VitD and excersize will raise both levels
  7. drinkyboy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,105
    Rep Power
    84917

    Reputation Reputation

    I have went through a bottle of bsl growth and noticed a huge improvement in my mood and well being. I think a restful nights sleep works wonders.
  8. andrew732's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,468
    Rep Power
    489931

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    low dose oral selegiline plus, 1 cap dopadex plus 1 cap of pikatropin would be real ideal to aid in depression
    doing my own thang!
  9. infraredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    397
    Rep Power
    8473

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronuconn View Post
    Honestly, when it comes to neurological ailments, especially depression, anxiety, etc., it's always best to seek medical assistance.
    I disagree, if he seeks medical help they are just going to put him on something like Lexapro or Prozac which are just going to cause more of a problem.
  10. Synapsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    714
    Rep Power
    586093

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Increasing 5-HT and DA to improve your mood isn't really that simple of a process.
    PES
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://facebook.com/pescience
  11. aaronuconn's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,357
    Rep Power
    1311749

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by infraredline View Post
    I disagree, if he seeks medical help they are just going to put him on something like Lexapro or Prozac which are just going to cause more of a problem.
    So seeking guidance from us is a better call? It's irresponsible for us to give him advice on a subject that isn't just black and white, as Synapsin alluded to.

  12. chedapalooza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,392
    Rep Power
    1574454

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    When I came off anti depressants in 2010, I did lots of research RE this. I determined that using the following would be best, and it worked for about 3 months to help the coming off and restoration of natural healthy levels of serotonin and dopamine:

    50mg 5htp at bed

    1000mg l tyrosine (500mg caps) dosed in AM and afternoon on empty stomach

    200mg SAM E dosed empty stomach in AM

    After a while, I began to experience serotonin syndrome sides and dropped the 5htp. I've used the tyrosine and Sam e as listed above for the last 3 years daily. I sometimes use a sleep aid with 5htp but never take more than 25mg or else I get sides.
    "no failure is final, nor is any success"
    Follow my 2014 training and supps!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/240285-chedapaloozas-2014-training.html
  13. infraredline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    397
    Rep Power
    8473

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronuconn View Post
    So seeking guidance from us is a better call? It's irresponsible for us to give him advice on a subject that isn't just black and white, as Synapsin alluded to.
    I think doing research on his own is best, part of that includes coming here and seeing what had worked for others.
  14. Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,382
    Rep Power
    986724

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    i'm a big fan of 5htp, when i take sleep supplements with 5 htp i usually start to feel better overall within a week or two....i don't suffer with seasonal depression during the winter months or depression overall but a good boost in well being is always fun, look into Lights Out, should really help

    people have also reported a boost in well being from DAA, NMDA being a better choice, look into Intimidate SRT, maybe even stack it with Lights Out or 5 htp

    Mood Support:

    When we activate our NMDA receptors, our body releases Pregnenolone. Pregnenolone helps us feel rested and happy very quickly. Intimidate SRT™ may help support your mood and your workouts will help you maintain a positive attitude!*

    heres part of the write up from Intimidate SRT
  15. Alasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    415
    Rep Power
    173672

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Maybe I should have been more specific in my initial post, to clarify I don't have depression or any specific or underlying health problem related to the former. I was merely asking for something for promotion of well being as I have a stressful job and and it can be mentally and emotionally draining in combination with these winter months.
  16. Alasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    415
    Rep Power
    173672

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
    low dose oral selegiline plus, 1 cap dopadex plus 1 cap of pikatropin would be real ideal to aid in depression
    I was actually reading up on a l-dopa supplement as I believe it also has growth hormone elevating properties which i was looking for a separate supplement for also. What kind of dowse would be use for dwell good and what dose for gh elevation?

    Thanks for you response
  17. Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,382
    Rep Power
    986724

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasel View Post
    Maybe I should have been more specific in my initial post, to clarify I don't have depression or any specific or underlying health problem related to the former. I was merely asking for something for promotion of well being as I have a stressful job and and it can be mentally and emotionally draining in combination with these winter months.
    i read that you weren't depressed, i do know some people that just don't like the cold winter and the dark nights....my recommendations are what i've either used or plan on using to help feel better overall.....the logs of people using intimidate srt notice mood boost, not to mention the other benefits it offers
  18. Alasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    415
    Rep Power
    173672

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    i read that you weren't depressed, i do know some people that just don't like the cold winter and the dark nights....my recommendations are what i've either used or plan on using to help feel better overall.....the logs of people using intimidate srt notice mood boost, not to mention the other benefits it offers
    No I noticed that you noticed, other posters seemed to misinterpret, maybe I should have been clearer. Thanks for your response, will look into intimidate.
  19. Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,210
    Rep Power
    3370564

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    What are you talking about Aaron? Of course we know more than a medical professional. I googled supplements to help depression for a FULL 5 minutes today

    In all seriousness, vitamin d3 supplementation is my preferred supplement of choice to 'prevent' seasonal depression. That and l dopa. I like l dopa
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  20. Vj63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    73904

    Reputation Reputation

    You SNS guys make some great points about seeking medical advice for these things. In fact, to show my appreciation, I will consult a physician before taking any of your products just as you advise. I know that my doctor as well as most others will be eager to give me their blessing to take products that are widely known by most MDs like DAA, agmatine, x-gels.
    Thanks so much for caring.
  21. Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,210
    Rep Power
    3370564

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Vj63 View Post
    You SNS guys make some great points about seeking medical advice for these things. In fact, to show my appreciation, I will consult a physician before taking any of your products just as you advise. I know that my doctor as well as most others will be eager to give me their blessing to take products that are widely known by most MDs like DAA, agmatine, x-gels.
    Thanks so much for caring.
    It does say to do so on the bottle

    Forgive us for not misrepresenting ourselves as MD's, but when someones psycholoigcal welfare is at stake, board members need more than 5 minutes google before handing out advice over prescription medication.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  22. JD261985's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,702
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    God it seems like you guys go the doctor for every little ****ing thing. I couldn't imagine spending so much time getting tests done and asking questions, etc. you don't need a doctors visit for every supplement you take....seriously....you guys think doctors give great advice. It's because of a doctors advice that I almost died and experience pain on a daily basis. Had he not been involved in my life I would be fine. Believe me doctors are OFTEN wrong
  23. Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,210
    Rep Power
    3370564

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    God it seems like you guys go the doctor for every little ****ing thing. I couldn't imagine spending so much time getting tests done and asking questions, etc. you don't need a doctors visit for every supplement you take....seriously....you guys think doctors give great advice. It's because of a doctors advice that I almost died and experience pain on a daily basis. Had he not been involved in my life I would be fine. Believe me doctors are OFTEN wrong
    Wrong and you've misinterpreted the responses thus far. As company reps, we must be mindful that our posts are not taken as medical advice. It was misinterpreted as to what OP was after (it was taken as though he was suffering from depression) and we are in no position to offer medical advice.

    You must be aware that depression is multi factorial and if OP did indeed have it, then without proper assessment, people making generalised 'medical' statements could potentially make things worse.

    OP has made it clear he does not have depression so suggestions thus far could be warranted.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
    X-gels: Arachidonic Acid made affordable
  24. Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,695
    Rep Power
    830343

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post

    When we activate our NMDA receptors, our body releases Pregnenolone.
    heres part of the write up from Intimidate SRT
    On what planet does this happen?
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  25. Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,695
    Rep Power
    830343

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    OP, my recommendation for the winter months is vitamin D3. If you're looking for a quality L-Dopa product, I would check out Dopadex http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/s...x-90-caps.html
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  26. rugger48's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,061
    Rep Power
    45136

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    God it seems like you guys go the doctor for every little ****ing thing. I couldn't imagine spending so much time getting tests done and asking questions, etc. you don't need a doctors visit for every supplement you take....seriously....you guys think doctors give great advice. It's because of a doctors advice that I almost died and experience pain on a daily basis. Had he not been involved in my life I would be fine. Believe me doctors are OFTEN wrong
    Wow There are bad mechanics too, do you assume every one of them are bad because of it? And the doctor recommendation thing is basically associated with almost anything to do with the health industry and rightfully so.
  27. Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,382
    Rep Power
    986724

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    On what planet does this happen?
    earth
  28. EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,438
    Rep Power
    1162438

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Phenibut. /thread.

    EDIT-im sorry pregenolone is NOT released in response to the NMDA receptors being stimulated but pregenolone sulfate is.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9856862/

    Example study. Read the first two lines.
  29. Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,695
    Rep Power
    830343

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    earth
    Have a reference?
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  30. Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,695
    Rep Power
    830343

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    Phenibut. /thread.

    EDIT-im sorry pregenolone is NOT released in response to the NMDA receptors being stimulated but pregenolone sulfate is.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9856862/

    Example study. Read the first two lines.
    Do you happen to have a pdf of the study? I see what the abstract says happens in retinal cells, but even then it is not clear. Pregenolone modulate NMDARs, but I haven't seen anything that shows that synthesis occurs after NMDAR activation.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  31. EatMoar's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,438
    Rep Power
    1162438

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post

    Do you happen to have a pdf of the study? I see what the abstract says happens in retinal cells, but even then it is not clear. Pregenolone modulate NMDARs, but I haven't seen anything that shows that synthesis occurs after NMDAR activation.
    I can snag it when I get home. But the abstract says the synthesis increases after NMDAR activation.
  32. rhoadx's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    177
    Rep Power
    3916

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Vj63 View Post
    You SNS guys make some great points about seeking medical advice for these things. In fact, to show my appreciation, I will consult a physician before taking any of your products just as you advise. I know that my doctor as well as most others will be eager to give me their blessing to take products that are widely known by most MDs like DAA, agmatine, x-gels.
    Thanks so much for caring.
    would you rather them be like the iforce reps and constantly pimp every iforce supp for every question lol?
  33. Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,695
    Rep Power
    830343

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    I can snag it when I get home. But the abstract says the synthesis increases after NMDAR activation.
    Abstracts have a funny tendency to sound much more exciting and significant than the data actually shows. Also, the abstract says they only used retinal cells.
    ***PES Representative***
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
  34. andrew732's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,468
    Rep Power
    489931

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasel View Post
    I was actually reading up on a l-dopa supplement as I believe it also has growth hormone elevating properties which i was looking for a separate supplement for also. What kind of dowse would be use for dwell good and what dose for gh elevation?

    Thanks for you response
    2 caps of analyzed supplements dopadex should definitely do the trick, you could add a little huperzine-a to attentuate the effects
    doing my own thang!
  35. andrew732's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,468
    Rep Power
    489931

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    OP, my recommendation for the winter months is vitamin D3. If you're looking for a quality L-Dopa product, I would check out Dopadex http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/s...x-90-caps.html
    i agree, vitamin d is great for mood enhancement and aids in dopamine + serotonin synthesis
    doing my own thang!
  36. Synapsin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    714
    Rep Power
    586093

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by rhoadx View Post
    would you rather them be like the iforce reps and constantly pimp every iforce supp for every question lol?
    This. Products like x-gels, agmatine, etc, aren't used to treat issues that may be as serious as mental health issues, regardless of how insignificant the OP and others may think they are. I would have thought that people would prefer helpful responses by people that aren't just out to pimp products for the sake of helping the bottom line out.
    PES
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://facebook.com/pescience
  37. snagencyV2.0's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10,420
    Rep Power
    101980

    Reputation Reputation

    spicy thread is spicy

    Quote Originally Posted by Synapsin View Post
    I would have thought that people would prefer helpful responses by people that aren't just out to pimp products for the sake of helping the bottom line out.
    nahh -- everyone has an agenda
    that's just how sh1t works




    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    I can snag it.
    the hell you say..I wanna see that
    FINAFLEX Product Educator
    visit our website at finaflex.com
    contact me at snagency@finaflex.com
  38. Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,382
    Rep Power
    986724

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Synapsin View Post
    This. Products like x-gels, agmatine, etc, aren't used to treat issues that may be as serious as mental health issues, regardless of how insignificant the OP and others may think they are. I would have thought that people would prefer helpful responses by people that aren't just out to pimp products for the sake of helping the bottom line out.

    lmao, i don't even know how to respond to this nonsense...i'll just let it go
  39. mr.cooper69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,484
    Rep Power
    5966609

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    lmao, i don't even know how to respond to this nonsense...i'll just let it go
    What's nonsense about it? Agmatine is a confirmed neurotransmitter in the human body and ArA excess is implicated in all sorts of neurological conditions.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  40. 996ttelise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    434
    Rep Power
    117808

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    What are you talking about Aaron? Of course we know more than a medical professional. I googled supplements to help depression for a FULL 5 minutes today In all seriousness, vitamin d3 supplementation is my preferred supplement of choice to 'prevent' seasonal depression. That and l dopa. I like l dopa
    This illustrates just how correct you are about giving advise.

    My wife is an endocrinologist. I also had to learn about treatment of osteoporosis back when we tried 7 HRT bellwether cases in Reno and in Philadelphia. Understanding D3 was a piece of this process.

    The feel good from the sun comes from an opioid B-endorphin via stimulation of POMC. Not sure D really produces any feel good reaction similar to the UV production of B-endorphin feel good response.

    The belief that large doses of d will make a normal person feel any better or any different is perhaps bunk. Large doses of D3 theoretically could have opposite impact if raises blood calcium. I think the d feel good may be a bit psychosomatic.

    A lot of us eating decent amounts of tuna, salmon and etc. and with younger skin may be at optimal levels. Taking mega doses with optimal levels may lead to hypercalcemia. K may help plumbing and redirect calcium.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Serotonin and dopamine circardian rhythm?
    By comacho in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 03:26 PM
  2. ( Serotonin VS. Dopamine )
    By gotDOMS in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 10:46 PM
  3. amps and sterility
    By morfiend in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2004, 10:49 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-22-2004, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in