Melatonin and Prolactin

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just wondering ; I'm still searching tho

Long term melatonin effects in men on libido/sexual function due to a proposed increase in prolactin

Is this something we should be concerned with? And if so at what concentrations are we OK using
mr.cooper69 Synapsin JudoJosh

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I'd like to see the above peoples thoughts on prolonged usage at something like 500mcg - 1mg of Melatonin. This would prevent supraphysiological levels of Melatonin. I feel a lot of people take in way to large of a dosage.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In for info.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I'm on my phone, but I did just see one article where melatonin at 3mg didn't cause a significant rise in prolactin but 6mg did.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd like to see the above peoples thoughts on prolonged usage at something like 500mcg - 1mg of Melatonin. This would prevent supraphysiological levels of Melatonin. I feel a lot of people take in way to large of a dosage.
There was a 30 day study on 6mg which showed nothing altered.

I'm toying with 5mg in combination with caffeine tn complements of below

http://www.bioline.org.br/request?np10004

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm on my phone, but I did just see one article where melatonin at 3mg didn't cause a significant rise in prolactin but 6mg did.
That increase was not statistically significant but showed the increase at the 3-5 hour mark

I'm wonder if it falls when blood levels fall 8-12 hours later

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I may certainly be assuming wrong, but if you're looking to increase GH and inhibit prolactin secretion, why look further than L-Dopa?

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
This is just from my own personal experience so take it for what it's worth. But I have used melatonin as high as 10 mg with no issues. libido is always high on or off of it. Only effect I noticed was being more groggy at that dose. Im not recommending anyone go that high btw. I was just experimenting for my own purposes and curiosity.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I may certainly be assuming wrong, but if you're looking to increase GH and inhibit prolactin secretion, why look further than L-Dopa? L-Dopa converts to dopamine which inhibits somatostatin secretion in the hypothalamus, thus your greater expression of GH and less prolactin.
Not looking for blocking somatistatin

Read the first link that shows increased protein synthesis/reduced breakdown

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Not looking for blocking somatistatin Read the first link that shows increased protein synthesis/reduced breakdown
Yeah, I was kind of loss what your goal was here. :p

Couldn't tell if it was prolactin concerns or protein synthesis.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I was kind of loss what your goal was here. :p

Couldn't tell if it was prolactin concerns or protein synthesis.
Well I obviously don't want increased prolactin homie.

So what are you making of all this

Best used in conjunction with a carb powder post workout or with carb back loading.

And if that's the case. I think post workout would be best for protein synthesis.

But there's other things to add to that mix since it inhibits stat3 for myostatin along with something like ursolic

So where do we go from here

I talk out loud and to myself a lot.

And there's other insulin mimetics I'd like to add. I'm losing my mind with possibilities. I can never make up my mind!

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Well I obviously don't want increased prolactin homie.

So what are you making of all this

Best used in conjunction with a carb powder post workout or with carb back loading.

And if that's the case. I think post workout would be best for protein synthesis.

But there's other things to add to that mix since it inhibits stat3 for myostatin along with something like ursolic

So where do we go from here

I talk out loud and to myself a lot.

And there's other insulin mimetics I'd like to add. I'm losing my mind with possibilities. I can never make up my mind!
Melatonin pre-bed sounds good to me still . :)

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Melatonin pre-bed sounds good to me still . :)
Yea. Same. But for what? Gh or protein synthesis. BC the increase only happened with caffeine

Making me ponder post workout with insulin mimetics BC melatonin didn't increase glucose uptake after exercise but another ingredient does and caffeine reduces uptake in fat cells (2003) and increased in muscle cells (2007). And specifically after a workout you can't ask for a better combination.

So add in another ingredient (to be told if I can't find someone to put it together) you'll increases thermogenesis even more.

Seems like win win win

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Isn't it pretty well established that lower doses are equally effective as higher doses with melatonin?

If 500mcg works as well as 5mg, why go with 5mg when 5mg does have a positive effect on prolactin?

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Isn't it pretty well established that lower doses are equally effective as higher doses with melatonin?

If 500mcg works as well as 5mg, why go with 5mg when 5mg does have a positive effect on prolactin?
Effects at 5mg effect oxytocin and vasopressin differently

5mg inhibiting them being good for sex. Due to increasing how would you say..... ****ing time without orgasm lol

But .5mg shown to be just as effective at Growth hormone ect.

But the study on leptin was done at 5mg

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Too much overthinking. Stick to <1mg melatonin and disregard transient GH/prolactin/etc flux.
Understood

So effects on protein synthesis and sleep (when used with caffeine) should be disregarded

Ps I did 5mg w 200mg caffeine some gdas and 250 carbs and was out like a light shortly after

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Yes exactly, 500 mcg is just as effective.

Too much overthinking. Stick to <1mg melatonin and disregard transient GH/prolactin/etc flux.
Indeed.

Understood

So effects on protein synthesis and sleep (when used with caffeine) should be disregarded

Ps I did 5mg w 200mg caffeine some gdas and 250 carbs and was out like a light shortly after
5 mg is too much. Doses that high induce what people refer to as the melatonin hang over feeling they get in the morning from using it. For people looking to get the most out of their usage of melatonin for sleep, I've posted about it before on bb.com

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes exactly, 500 mcg is just as effective.

Indeed.

5 mg is too much. Doses that high induce what people refer to as the melatonin hang over feeling they get in the morning from using it. For people looking to get the most out of their usage of melatonin for sleep, I've posted about it before on bb.com
I think there's some miscommunication

The 5mg dose is what we're done in studies ect for the protein synthesis. As well as growth and increased leptin signaling

I am not using it for sleep

The .5 mg increases oxytocin and vasopressin. 5mg inhibits it. Both doses do the same for somatotropin

I'm looking at it as more of a fat loss agent and for muscle preservation due to the few studies

Again sleep, idc about. More towards the other issues I'm asking about.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

The 5mg dose is what we're done in studies ect for the protein synthesis. As well as growth and increased leptin signaling

The .5 mg increases oxytocin and vasopressin. 5mg inhibits it. Both doses do the same for somatotropin

I'm looking at it as more of a fat loss agent and for muscle preservation due to the few studies

Serious question; do you think people would buy a post workout product with melatonin in it?

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

You would not see any clinically relevant effects from supplementing melatonin for those reasons.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Serious question; do you think people would buy a post workout product with melatonin in it?
It's for my personal use.

I don't think people would buy it especially with caffeine. But if science was solid. Then the wheel is reinvented and old strategies are challenged when presented with new novel ways to use ingredients

That's all. I'm bringing **** to attention. Take it for what it's worth yanno. I'm going to see what happens doing this a few times a week on my bulk before I start cutting for next show

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
That was a mini info bomb right there. Melatonin's antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties are also said to be fairly significant, but there we get into the "is it muscle sparing versus does it reduce response to training?". I've run it at very high doses (20-30mg/night) and didn't notice too much in the way of libido. The hangover really only lasts for a day or two with continued use, then I seemed to wake up fairly refreshed.

A preWO would be not that sexy.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That was a mini info bomb right there. Melatonin's antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties are also said to be fairly significant, but there we get into the "is it muscle sparing versus does it reduce response to training?". I've run it at very high doses (20-30mg/night) and didn't notice too much in the way of libido. The hangover really only lasts for a day or two with continued use, then I seemed to wake up fairly refreshed.

A preWO would be not that sexy.
Yea it has an effect on stat3 which technically imposes a reducing effect on myostatin