Vinpocetine or Ginkgo Biloba

tristen22001

Awards
Which is better for improving blood circulation (both in the brain and body)? Also, what dose and brand have provided you the most benefit? For Vinpocetine I'm thinking 5-10 mg, 3Xday and either Jarrow or Source Naturals. For Ginkgo I'm thinking 60-120 mg, 2Xday and either Life Extension (read theirs is pharmaceutical grade) or Nature's Way Ginkgold (which I believe uses the patented EGb 761).

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I'm probably more familiar with Vinpocetine, but you have to be careful with the dosing, as headaches can be a side effect.

I'd say Vinpocetine > Ginkgo for cerebral blood flow and neuroprotection. Also seems to have a positive impact on memory.

tristen22001

Awards
I'm probably more familiar with Vinpocetine, but you have to be careful with the dosing, as headaches can be a side effect.

I'd say Vinpocetine > Ginkgo for cerebral blood flow and neuroprotection. Also seems to have a positive impact on memory.
What about circulation throughout the body...does vinpocetine help with that or is ginkgo better for that purpose? This may sound strange but my wife is always commenting/complaining about how cold my hands are and the blue tint to my fingernails most of the time (been that way as long as I remember). So, I figured I needed something to help with circulation. I'd be taking it with rhodiola and bacopa...which as far as I know don't help with blood circulation (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Gingko would have a greater "whole body" circulatory effect. It causes vasodilation via relaxation of the arterial endothelium independent of NO processes.

Start your dose low as it can produce a wicked headache if over done.

tristen22001

Awards
Gingko would have a greater "whole body" circulatory effect. It causes vasodilation via relaxation of the arterial endothelium independent of NO processes.

Is there a brand that works best? Been reading about ginkgold by natures way but was wondering if it's much better than other brands to warrant the higher price. Also, if you or anyone else knows of a better vasodilators than ginkgo or vinpocetine then I'd appreciate other suggestions.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What about circulation throughout the body...does vinpocetine help with that or is ginkgo better for that purpose? This may sound strange but my wife is always commenting/complaining about how cold my hands are and the blue tint to my fingernails most of the time (been that way as long as I remember). So, I figured I needed something to help with circulation. I'd be taking it with rhodiola and bacopa...which as far as I know don't help with blood circulation (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
Then you want black ginger extract

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Very much so. It also can cause lethargy in higher doses. I am very sensitive to Vinpocetine and get bad headaches followed by excessive yawning, but I still believe that this can be a factor for some.

tristen22001

Awards
Very much so. It also can cause lethargy in higher doses. I am very sensitive to Vinpocetine and get bad headaches followed by excessive yawning, but I still believe that this can be a factor for some.
Maybe I'll give vinpocetine a try then (probably at 5 mg, 3XDay to hopefully prevent headaches oar lethargy from developing).

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Maybe I'll give vinpocetine a try then (probably at 5 mg, 3XDay to hopefully prevent headaches oar lethargy from developing).
Interested to hear your feedback. My only experience with it is from Focus XT.

Duywayne

Awards
  • Established
Which is better for improving blood circulation (both in the brain and body)? Also, what dose and brand have provided you the most benefit? For Vinpocetine I'm thinking 5-10 mg, 3Xday and either Jarrow or Source Naturals. For Ginkgo I'm thinking 60-120 mg, 2Xday and either Life Extension (read theirs is pharmaceutical grade) or Nature's Way Ginkgold (which I believe uses the patented EGb 761).
Any way you could use both?

Vinpo at around 10mg per day.

Ginkgo 24/6 at 300mg per day.

But the thing with the Ginkgo you have to get a good extract.. I like the NOW stuff. The two combined you get a strong mental feeling.. i love it.

Dr.Veritas

Dr.Veritas

Awards
  • Established

This!

I've had both good and bad experiences supplementing Vinpocetine. A general calm feeling with a decrease in anxiety. I can't say for sure I've felt or noticed anything with Gingko. However I believe Gingko's effects are not felt immediately and definitely doesn't provide a "head change" comparable to Vinpocetine. Start at a moderate dose and see how it treats you over a span of 2-3 weeks?