intra or post wo for recovery

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am usually in the gym 2-3 hrs every session. I compete in powerlifting and using gear takes quite a while. Lately I have been doing modernbcaa+20g carbs intra work out only bc I am there So long. I eat a meal 1.5-2 hrs before the gym consisting of 50g pro/100g carbs/10-20g fat. Then I drive home which takes 30, after I get home I eat a whole food meal with the same macros. Is the intra wo drink helping me? Or would a post-wo drink be better for my situation? Or could I skip both and see the same results?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've heard conflicting things regarding the absorption of BCAA's mixed with carbs. BCAAs pre and/or post would seem beneficial. I'm not smart so hopefully someone chimes in with that specifically. PES Amino IV is tailored to be taken intra-workout. You can check out that product thread with a **** ton of information on it. Dextrose (Gatorade powder, or pure dextrose) would be good for your ride home. Other than that, I'd recommend just plowing food. I do the same sessions as you, except not equipped, and regardless of my expenditure, my total caloric intake still remains king of recovery.

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It doesn't seem to provide any extra recovery benefit that I can see. I have gone weeks with just water. I just wasn't sure if there was some science or something to point me in the right direction. My total cals and macros are most important to me. However I already own these products and if there was a better way to use them I'd like to know.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i never really used carbs intra workout until recently and i've become a fan of carbs intra workout....i also love using a bcaa supplement intra workout, whenever someone asks if it's worth it, i always tell them, sip on some bcaa's intra workout for about six months, go a month without them and see how you feel, personally i get a noticeable drop in endurance

with that said, you might want to look at some of the products designed for intra workout, compete is a more complete product for intra workout training, add carbs to it and i'm sure you'll have a noticeable boost in workout performance

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Amino IV. It's not just about the EAAs...think HICA, taurine, and verbascoside...all 3 with human data showing improved recovery, all in athletes

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Amino IV. It's not just about the EAAs...think HICA, taurine, and verbascoside...all 3 with human data showing improved recovery, all in athletes
I was going to pick this up as I like the research behind it. But I just bought bulk modernbcaa right before this came out.

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I was going to pick this up as I like the research behind it. But I just bought bulk modernbcaa right before this came out.
You could always purchase Amino IV and do a scoop of each. This will get you the full dose of leucine + the recovery ancillaries and necessary EAAs

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You could always purchase Amino IV and do a scoop of each. This will get you the full dose of leucine + the recovery ancillaries and necessary EAAs
But won't the other ingredients not included in the eaa blend be underdosed only being a half serving?

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
But won't the other ingredients not included in the eaa blend be underdosed only being a half serving?
They would be half-dosed, but remember this: we only know the doses that they work. There is no data saying XX grams of taurine/hica/verbascoside don't work. Since most supplements work dose-dependently, I'd say you'd still benefit

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
They would be half-dosed, but remember this: we only know the doses that they work. There is no data saying XX grams of taurine/hica/verbascoside don't work. Since most supplements work dose-dependently, I'd say you'd still benefit
Ah I see. I will pick a tub up then. Since I can't tell if a generic bcaa sup helps or not. I see more benefit from the carbs keeping me from getting hungry and generally tired. Would amino iv benefit from added carbs?

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i never really used carbs intra workout until recently and i've become a fan of carbs intra workout....i also love using a bcaa supplement intra workout, whenever someone asks if it's worth it, i always tell them, sip on some bcaa's intra workout for about six months, go a month without them and see how you feel, personally i get a noticeable drop in endurance

with that said, you might want to look at some of the products designed for intra workout, compete is a more complete product for intra workout training, add carbs to it and i'm sure you'll have a noticeable boost in workout performance
I got a free bottle of compete. I was not impressed.

M

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Ah I see. I will pick a tub up then. Since I can't tell if a generic bcaa sup helps or not. I see more benefit from the carbs keeping me from getting hungry and generally tired. Would amino iv benefit from added carbs?
Try amino IV without the added carbs for starters. Because it has a large blend of EAAs, you may notice that you no longer need carbs. This is in contrast to a BCAA supplement which is poorly gluconeogenic (since leucine and isl are keto/semi-ketogenic)

S

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Try amino IV without the added carbs for starters. Because it has a large blend of EAAs, you may notice that you no longer need carbs. This is in contrast to a BCAA supplement which is poorly gluconeogenic (since leucine and isl are keto/semi-ketogenic)
Will do. Thanks for the help.

U

uubiduu

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When do you all take your amino iv pre intra or post workout¿

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I got a free bottle of compete. I was not impressed.
hmmm...interesting, sorry to hear that, i like the idea of hydrolsylate and electrolytes plus the other benefits

just listened to a podcast with ben pakulski and jon meadows and they were talking intra workout nutrition a bit....give it a listen, jon loves di and tri peptides during the workout plus they touch on electrolytes and staying hydrated during training

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
I am usually in the gym 2-3 hrs every session. I compete in powerlifting and using gear takes quite a while. Lately I have been doing modernbcaa+20g carbs intra work out only bc I am there So long. I eat a meal 1.5-2 hrs before the gym consisting of 50g pro/100g carbs/10-20g fat. Then I drive home which takes 30, after I get home I eat a whole food meal with the same macros. Is the intra wo drink helping me? Or would a post-wo drink be better for my situation? Or could I skip both and see the same results?
Because I work out long periods of times I drink 30g waxy maize and Endurance BCAA intra workout. I start after I stretch and warmup and do my first heavy set. I sip I. It between sets. I also fill it up with water agin once it's about half empty to water it down and keep. I really like the combo especially since I am trying to hold onto as much weight as possible.

02sixxer

02sixxer

Awards
Wanted to add one more thing I do post. I drink another 30g waxy maize and 15g peptopro and 25g whey. I eat about 45min - 1 hour later.

S

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
^^ much like sixxer above, I have been rolling with wms lately
30min preWO, 40g wms + 25g isolate
intraWO, 40g wms + 3 scoops BCAA+SAA
postWO, either 40g wms and dextrose in a combination of 115g carbs, or i'll drop the waxy and roll with more brown rice syrup than otherwise, still ~115g carbs + 50g isolate
then, consume full meal ~60min later

been working like a champ for me

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just finished a log of "Endurance". Very SOLID product. Taste is remarkable. Loved the product. I havent tried Amino IV but because it is PES, i know its good stuff. Either one would be a solid option IMO.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With that long of training I would look into Omega's Strive or iForce Compete intra and a whole food meal postWO.